Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Baby Ridley.

Problem solved.

You mean this thing?

Thanks other m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HIYA SAMUS!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm waiting for the new Mario Party. I doubt joycons will stand up a lot of punishment though. Some of those games were pretty rough on the analog sticks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pls call the police and rescue that arms cartridge form that sweltering car

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wasn't immediately good at ARMS when I tried the testpunch so the only logical conclusion to come to is that ARMS is a garbage game.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Martytoof posted:

I'm waiting for the new Mario Party. I doubt joycons will stand up a lot of punishment though. Some of those games were pretty rough on the analog sticks.

I think after Mario Party 2 and 3 they had a lot fewer of those "spin the joystick as fast as you can!" mini games. Personally I'll only get another MP if they get rid of that garbage team system that 9 and 10 used.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If Metroid Prime 4 doesn't feature slowbeef voicing Ridley, I'll be very upset.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Martytoof posted:

I wasn't immediately good at ARMS when I tried the testpunch so the only logical conclusion to come to is that ARMS is a garbage game.

I actually won my first 6 games and was also able to find out this same fact. ymmv

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Now that the game is out Nintendo should probably offer a demo or something so people like me who missed the test punch can see just how lame arms is and feel good about not buying it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Consummate Professional posted:

Arms has to sit in my car for 8 hours before I can play it :negative:
Please don't leave your baby in a hot car for 8 hours.

e: gfd jim sillyballs

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not that. I just think that if it's part of an established franchise, why NOT take the time to flesh out characters who really, really need it and use them as party members and villains?

Sidenote, who *needs* to be fleshed out in the Mario series? A franchise that primarily makes up canon on the spot to fuel whatever crazy idea they have?

But really, not every franchise spinoff exists to serve as fanservice. It's not unheard of for developers work with an established franchise to push in new directions, especially when they want to work with specific scenarios. Nor is that a bad thing.

Especially in the Mario series, a series which primarily has not cared much about story or characters as much as fueling gameplay ideas. There is usually a concern with Nintendo spinoffs to keep certain feelings and traits to the main franchise, likely due to concerns to meet Nintendo's approval. So they probably thought "Well, Mario having a heart to heart conversation with Luigi about the importance of family would be too much of a stretch". Even if such a conversation would be normal in other RPGs, Nintendo may not approve of such a different take for a beloved mascot of theirs. Going to original characters and ideas and letting those things do most of the talking gives the devs a little bit more freedom to do things w/o worry from a looming Nintendo.

There could also be a certain marketability worry with some characters. A Mario + Peach RPG might seem fine, but maybe a Mario + Daisy RPG would look strange. Mario + Wario RPG would be cool, but idk if I really want a Mario + Wart RPG, etc.

Keep in mind, usually Nintendo expands the gameplay aspects of their franchises, but rarely do we see the story or character expansions play out. Most spinoffs they do usually don't stray too far on story/characters*. But attempts to try to do story things (Star Fox Command, Metroid Other M) so far have mostly not fared too well. Outside cartoons and anime come out occasionally, but it seems Nintendo have been very reluctant on that front in the past decade.

Like I said before, I agree your other point that more focus should be on deeper character relationships. The Paper Mario games usually have some nice backstories or fun personalities, but usually never expand. Super Paper Mario tried this, but it ended up being a very mixed game.

*(idk anything about fire emblem on this front, but from the outside it looks like that franchise has kept mostly consistent on it's story/gameplay focus)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ventana posted:

Sidenote, who *needs* to be fleshed out in the Mario series? A franchise that primarily makes up canon on the spot to fuel whatever crazy idea they have

Wario/Waluigi GTA clone

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I sure do wonder what Retro Studios is up to. Tropical Freeze was so good. I guess there's a pretty good chance it's another Donkey Kong since those have sold so well

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've been seeing this bounced around cause of the app on your phone that'll be needed to chat on the Switch and I really hope something like this gets made now

i honestly think that is how nintendo will do it, we will get online adjustable grip for all phone sizes, keeps the head phone on the controller and works like the 360 headset but with a nds style interface.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It could be simplified to just being a sliding part that ratches tighter with little rubber grippy pads to hold the phone. Then they won't need apple or google or samsung licensing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the framerate on lego city undercover as bad as the reviews say? Have they patched it at all?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

i honestly think that is how nintendo will do it, we will get online adjustable grip for all phone sizes, keeps the head phone on the controller and works like the 360 headset but with a nds style interface.

This would actually be cool to have a little secondary screen for push to talk or to scrub through a friendlist real fast without having to pause a game...

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is the framerate on lego city undercover as bad as the reviews say? Have they patched it at all?

it's insanely bad, no joke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, someone else?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Can I order a Splatoon switch in the USA yet

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Can I order a Splatoon switch in the USA yet

Try hitting your Switch with a paintball gun.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I have the piss Joy-Cons, and they look stellar in combination with the blue one. Thank you and god bless.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait to play with piss in my hands.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This would actually be cool to have a little secondary screen for push to talk or to scrub through a friendlist real fast without having to pause a game...

Phone as second screen works great for Jackbox.

Not the same as during a normal game obviously.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I was going to start in on Breath of the Wild this weekend, but I'm really into Disgaea at the moment and if the first DLC pack is out on the 30th I was thinking it might be worth waiting till then, worth doing do you reckon?
God I love this absurd Nintendo made Vita thing, it's just so fun to use.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm playing ARMS everyone. It is good.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

You're supposed to be working Mr. President

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Pijeus posted:

I was going to start in on Breath of the Wild this weekend, but I'm really into Disgaea at the moment and if the first DLC pack is out on the 30th I was thinking it might be worth waiting till then, worth doing do you reckon?
God I love this absurd Nintendo made Vita thing, it's just so fun to use.

The first DLC pack would add stuff that you could run into through normal play, but it's presumably spread far enough across the world that getting it shortly after you started playing it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mega64 posted:

Hi Donny

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's not that. I just think that if it's part of an established franchise, why NOT take the time to flesh out characters who really, really need it and use them as party members and villains?

A few original characters are fine but the overwhelming focus on them when they just vanish in the sequels makes it hard to remember anything about them. There's also a fact that ultimately a lot of them just feel... there. The two koopa party members in PM64 and TTYD are especially interchangeable, and in the end I really only think Bobbery, Bow, Goombella, and Vivian made a lasting impression on me.

Heck, Color Splash did more with a single Shy Guy on a train than some of these guys.

The Paper Mario Cast sucked rear end except Bow because they usually only had one or two lines of dialogue and then never spoke for the rest of the game (except Bow who oddly had plenty to say).

TTYD's only super weak party member was the koopa dude like I can't even remember if he's Koops or if that's the 1 dude. The rest of them had a lot more going for them so it was fun.

For the record I think the games go: TTYD > PM = Color Splash > Sticker Star = SPM (and I'll even add that I think Color Splash has the best boss fight in the entire series with Roy's battle.)

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Super Paper Mario is better than Sticker Star because it has evil Luigi.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Super Mario RPG > *

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really wish I could go back and play the mario RPGs

the only thing I have the hardware for is Legend of the 7 Stars

:(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Music Theory posted:

Huh? Are you talking about Mr. L? I don't think he has anything to do with Luigi. Their hats are completely different.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ventana posted:

Sidenote, who *needs* to be fleshed out in the Mario series? A franchise that primarily makes up canon on the spot to fuel whatever crazy idea they have?

But really, not every franchise spinoff exists to serve as fanservice. It's not unheard of for developers work with an established franchise to push in new directions, especially when they want to work with specific scenarios. Nor is that a bad thing.

Especially in the Mario series, a series which primarily has not cared much about story or characters as much as fueling gameplay ideas. There is usually a concern with Nintendo spinoffs to keep certain feelings and traits to the main franchise, likely due to concerns to meet Nintendo's approval. So they probably thought "Well, Mario having a heart to heart conversation with Luigi about the importance of family would be too much of a stretch". Even if such a conversation would be normal in other RPGs, Nintendo may not approve of such a different take for a beloved mascot of theirs. Going to original characters and ideas and letting those things do most of the talking gives the devs a little bit more freedom to do things w/o worry from a looming Nintendo.

There could also be a certain marketability worry with some characters. A Mario + Peach RPG might seem fine, but maybe a Mario + Daisy RPG would look strange. Mario + Wario RPG would be cool, but idk if I really want a Mario + Wart RPG, etc.

Keep in mind, usually Nintendo expands the gameplay aspects of their franchises, but rarely do we see the story or character expansions play out. Most spinoffs they do usually don't stray too far on story/characters*. But attempts to try to do story things (Star Fox Command, Metroid Other M) so far have mostly not fared too well. Outside cartoons and anime come out occasionally, but it seems Nintendo have been very reluctant on that front in the past decade.

Like I said before, I agree your other point that more focus should be on deeper character relationships. The Paper Mario games usually have some nice backstories or fun personalities, but usually never expand. Super Paper Mario tried this, but it ended up being a very mixed game.

*(idk anything about fire emblem on this front, but from the outside it looks like that franchise has kept mostly consistent on it's story/gameplay focus)

I think that just because a franchise has a very loose canon doesn't mean they can't add a little depth to it, especially as far as RPGs, which are more story intensive as a rule, go. I think this can be reflected in how the Mario & Luigi series actually manages to give Luigi something of an arc without the man in green ever saying a single line of dialogue. I've been following that franchise since I was a teenager, and the moment in Dream Team where Bowser actually bothers remembering Luigi's name actually had some meaning to me after years of him barely acknowledging who he even was. It even had some meta-textual significance as that game was a part of the year of Luigi.

Ultimately, it comes down to doing it in a way that fits what's true to the series. Disney has managed to dig significant moments with their Mickey Mouse outfit, while keeping the core of Mickey and his pals identifiable. Just look at the massive fandom Disney Ducks has. You can do this with the Mario cast toowithout putting it all into a self-contained cast that's going to largely disappear once the game is over while just leaving the primary Mario characters sitting on the wayside. There's also multiple ways to do this - the Mario and Luigi series gets great moments out of the brothers without having them talk about "the meaning of family".

I'm not suggesting the franchise turn into Sonic the Hedgehog. But like, Star Fox 64 managed to tell a good, minimalist story that created memorable characters. Splatoon has some pretty elaborate world building that never overtakes the core gameplay. Even Odyssey seems like it's doing more with story and characterization, with Pauline getting a whole entire song to go with her new role. I think Nintendo has always had room to tell stories with their characters, even ones that are supposedly as shallow as Mario - the key is making it so that the story fits the kind of game it's in, and as Miyamoto himself has said, that the story doesn't overpower or limit the sense that the player is telling their own. Obviously, this depends on what kind of game it is, with stuff like Star Fox, Fire Emblem, and even the multiple iterations of the Mario franchise requiring different approaches.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The Paper Mario Cast sucked rear end except Bow because they usually only had one or two lines of dialogue and then never spoke for the rest of the game (except Bow who oddly had plenty to say).

TTYD's only super weak party member was the koopa dude like I can't even remember if he's Koops or if that's the 1 dude. The rest of them had a lot more going for them so it was fun.

For the record I think the games go: TTYD > PM = Color Splash > Sticker Star = SPM (and I'll even add that I think Color Splash has the best boss fight in the entire series with Roy's battle.)

Like I said, only Goombella, Bobbery, and Vivian really resonated with me. I didn't really care one way or the other for the Yoshi kid, Flurrie, or Generic Koopa Guy.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 16, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought Dream Team was really cool for bringing together a ton of characters and different enemies, races, and history from the rest of the games in the franchise, but nobody really seemed to notice this.

Really made it feel like a big world instead of a bunch of separate games.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Music Theory posted:

SPM is criminally underrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm playing ARMS everyone. It is good.

Yah

• Locked thread