Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

VagueRant posted:

I feel like he looks a lot younger this episode? Bob Odenkirk also looks impossibly...smooth.

Interacting with their parents often brings that out in people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TBeats posted:

If you couldn't derive the original meaning then you wouldn't tell people specifically to use hero instead of protagonist.

The post that led to this derail said Saul goes "from protagonist to villain." That paints the original meaning with a fairly vivid brush.

My bad, I meant you were right, I was looking at the wrong U/N.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I'm not entirely certain what is happening in this thread but I just got to Ozymandias on my Breaking Bad rewatch and hot drat if that isn't still the best episode of television I've ever seen. Feel free to agree with me on this!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i fell asleep driving on the road once, I woke up in the center lane going like 80 about 10 seconds from rear ending a van going 60 so I swerved around it and everything was ok

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

Just want to quote this again

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Karmine posted:

I'm not entirely certain what is happening in this thread

TBeats doesn't know how synonyms work and immediately posts about it every time the p-word is mentioned. I think he has an alert set up.

Just follow the classic tviv rule of don't check the thread on off-days.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Just want to quote this again

What? You don't remember when those Hunger Games reviews came out and suddenly everybody was 'protagonist this' and 'protagonist that'? That was a thing that happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Schlub Husband posted:

What? You don't remember when those Hunger Games reviews came out and suddenly everybody was 'protagonist this' and 'protagonist that'? That was a thing that happened.

No, no one remembers that. Perhaps you had just learned about the word protagonist and you were seeing it everywhere. That's a real phenomenon.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

This show needs to be 13 episodes a season like BB was. Ten 43-minute episodes simply doesn't cut it; especially with all the different characters in the show now, and it shows.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
I'm holding out for a protagonist til the end of the night

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

No, no one remembers that.

:thejoke:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i fell asleep driving on the road once, I woke up in the center lane going like 80 about 10 seconds from rear ending a van going 60 so I swerved around it and everything was ok

But did you bleed

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I want to know what reviews that guy was talking about

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

No, no one remembers that. Perhaps you had just learned about the word protagonist and you were seeing it everywhere. That's a real phenomenon.

The Mandela Effect: my mind is infallible, therefore the entire universe is :wrong:.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ChesterJT posted:

TBeats doesn't know how synonyms work and immediately posts about it every time the p-word is mentioned. I think he has an alert set up.

Just follow the classic tviv rule of don't check the thread on off-days.

Also don't check it on on-days because then it's just ten pages of "OMG!" "Here he comes..." "Wow. I did not see that coming." "Yay HUELL!" "HUELLLLLLLLL" "OMG Jimmy" "Well here we go..."

Better to just not read the thread at all imo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

RedSpider posted:

This show needs to be 13 episodes a season like BB was. Ten 43-minute episodes simply doesn't cut it; especially with all the different characters in the show now, and it shows.

I'd have to disagree. To me, each plotline feels like it's just shy of crossing the line of being stretched too thin.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

some guy on the bus posted:

Not even from a video like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3DY1_zijgA

He's funny but really doesn't care but the victims of his clients. He makes a living out of keeping drunk drivers, drug dealers, and murderers out on the street. He cares only about himself. He's fine with having Jesse and Hank be murdered so he won't have to go to jail.

Sure he's a scumbag, but to me he seems to be enjoying living the scumbag life. Smiling, making jokes, having a good time!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Karmine posted:

I'm not entirely certain what is happening in this thread but I just got to Ozymandias on my Breaking Bad rewatch and hot drat if that isn't still the best episode of television I've ever seen. Feel free to agree with me on this!

Hey yeah, just last night.

If my best you mean the most unstoppably hosed up. The freakout knifing scene and the baby stealing was just the crazing loving scene in any show. I feel like it's the closest I've ever been to watching actual domestic violence - everyone in the scene honestly thinks they are in the right, that the other person deserves what they're doing. It's the pinnacle of the show. Flynn in like a boss, calling the cops - he was the one that actually put a stop to all Walt's poo poo, even Skyler still just wanted him out of the house at that point. His own son wanted that fuckwit locked up instanty.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So Walt Jnr was the protagonist of that scene?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

you are following correctly. While walt plays the leading role as antagonist and hero, flynn becomes the protagonist with holly as heroine. Skyler became a supporting character at this point, forgoing her former role as romantic lead.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
flynn is the hero antagonist and walt is the villain protagonist.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

RedSpider posted:

This is very true. I didn't mind the first two seasons being 10 episodes given how relatively little plot movement there was, but nothing has really had time to breathe this season. A couple extra episodes would really benefit Nacho's dilemma and Jimmy's slide into darkness. Depending on how the finale goes, I might have to add the Chuck/Howard feud to that list.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"I could be your protagonist, baby...

I could take away the pain..."

Khorne
May 1, 2002

vermin posted:

Mods please change my name to Gaslighting Grandma
You could tell Jimmy felt genuinely bad about what he had done when she was crying.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sure he's a scumbag, but to me he seems to be enjoying living the scumbag life. Smiling, making jokes, having a good time!

In front of a camera and when talking to clients. Things that tie directly to his business, which also includes dealing with drug kingpins and suggesting having people murdered. "Dead inside" doesn't necessarily mean that you are a depressed shut-in, it can also mean that while you show a lively and cheerful outward image, you have lost all faith in humanity and you find no meaning in life other than money and the pleasures it can provide.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Rexides posted:

find no meaning in life other than money and the pleasures it can provide.

So, like most people then?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

This show :love:
Was reading an Uproxx article about BCS which led to an Acura ad starring...The Kettlemans.

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/acura-caps-this-seasons-better-call-saul-partnership-by-bringing-back-some-memorable-season-1-characters/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Wow, that's, uhhh, kinda sad and depressing for the Kettlemens.

Any to play Devil's advocate here, I seriously doubt the prison guards would let anyone that close to the prisoners. Though I guess since none of them have any handcuffs or ankle irons, they're probably all low-level, non-violent offenders like Mr.Kettlemen.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow, that's, uhhh, kinda sad and depressing for the Kettlemens.

It's sad, but at the same time so heartwarming to see the rest of the family willing to have a picnic next to a highway just so they could make the dad feel a bit less lonely :unsmith:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Episode 9 was great, but it set up so many cliffhangers that I don't think they'll be able to resolve them in one episode. Cue more unfinished business for season 4.

The oilman, as someone already mentioned, was portrayed by the same actor who played Hank in Twin Peaks. He also played the sheriff's deputy in First Blood who tried to shave Rambo, triggering his escape.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This whole loving episode... my god...

Jimmy goes full heel. :psyduck:

Hamlin becomes the bad guy again :psyboom:

CHUCK BECOMES A SYMPATHETIC CHARACTER :dogbutton:.

And I still have like 15 minutes to go in this episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Holy poo poo, that was hard to watch.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
So, is getting screwed over by HHM the prerequisite to be sympathetic in this series ?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

See with more episodes per season, that could've been a cold open.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
One thing bugging me. Would Kim's driver side window not have been hosed up?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Alan Smithee posted:

One thing bugging me. Would Kim's driver side window not have been hosed up?

Why would it? I was in a car crash once and my windows were fine

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.

just wanted to quote this for the current page

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

A lot of different things can happen before during and after a car crash.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Riptor posted:

Why would it? I was in a car crash once and my windows were fine

well I was in a car crash once and my rear window bled, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
All I'm
Saying is

Inside job

• Locked thread