Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I read one last year probably that I can't remember. All I can remember is there was a scene at the ending climax where the protagonist was on an island digging up some arm that was buried because that's what the NYPD? do if it's a John doe body part, and there was a big storm going on I think. I recall he had to avoid boats and poo poo to get onto the island.

I can't recall anything else about the plot though. There​ was a fight on some abandoned school roof or something because some evil guy wanted to stop him from getting the arm? I'm pretty sure the bad guy got squished by a falling building of some sort.

Anyway, probably published in the last few years, and was more than likely an ebook.

Gideon's Sword, by Lincoln Child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
When I was a kid my dad read me an excerpt of a book so this is going to be difficult probably. I assume the book was detective fiction, both because my dad loved mystery books and because what I remember of the excerpt.

The excerpt was in a Scottish dialect. Because it was read to me I don't know if the book itself was in a Scottish dialect or just the character speaking. I also remember that the content of the excerpt was suggesting that someone be forced to bring his wife to court (the exact language was something like "produce your good woman") within like two weeks or it be assumed he murdered her. I also remember some suspicion that the suspect may have turned his wife into haggis or sausage or something.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
This is a long shot. 15-20 years ago, PROBABLY for school, I read a book that had some kind of nuclear winter/holocaust theme, and one of the characters was a stereotypical greedy/fat/bad man who either hoarded or stole or both all kinds of money and jewellery, and the end of his arc was him dying from radiation poisoning (I think), with all his watches and rings bonded to his skin. Does that strike a chord at all? I googled everything I could think of and scoured all kinds of middle school book lists, thinking I'd recognise it if I saw it. My brain says it was Ray Bradbury but I really don't think it was. I would've been 8-13ish, so appropriate for that age group (or possibly older teen). Help!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tourette Meltdown posted:

This is a long shot. 15-20 years ago, PROBABLY for school, I read a book that had some kind of nuclear winter/holocaust theme, and one of the characters was a stereotypical greedy/fat/bad man who either hoarded or stole or both all kinds of money and jewellery, and the end of his arc was him dying from radiation poisoning (I think), with all his watches and rings bonded to his skin. Does that strike a chord at all? I googled everything I could think of and scoured all kinds of middle school book lists, thinking I'd recognise it if I saw it. My brain says it was Ray Bradbury but I really don't think it was. I would've been 8-13ish, so appropriate for that age group (or possibly older teen). Help!

Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon. One of a few books I enjoyed reading for school, though I'd forgotten the bit about the radioactive jewelry.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
This book is a comic, I saw it at the library but didn't take it at the time, now I can't remember what it is called.

It starts with black panels as a couple lie in bed together, the woman tells the man she is no longer in love with him and wants to see other people, he agrees to an open relationship and they stay in the same house, further in he moves into another room and she brings a new boyfriend back to the house.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Are you sure it's a comic and not MY LIFE?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

oldpainless posted:

Are you sure it's a comic and not MY LIFE?

More like oldbabeless

504 posted:

This book is a comic, I saw it at the library but didn't take it at the time, now I can't remember what it is called.

It starts with black panels as a couple lie in bed together, the woman tells the man she is no longer in love with him and wants to see other people, he agrees to an open relationship and they stay in the same house, further in he moves into another room and she brings a new boyfriend back to the house.

More details please! Single issue or graphic novel, colour or b&w?

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Pat Frank's Alas, Babylon. One of a few books I enjoyed reading for school, though I'd forgotten the bit about the radioactive jewelry.

That's it, holy poo poo! Thanks!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

504 posted:

I think I read this E/N thread.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I've been trying to recall this short story off and on for a few years - I may have come across it around 2002-ish but am not entirely certain. It's possibly a side-work to a larger series, but I don't know.

This story is set in a post-apocalyptic future where technology is now at a pastoral level. It's about a red-headed kid that no-one really likes, who lives in a town visited by 3 travelers - all red-headed too - who perform marvels for the villagers and are regarded as some by witches.
Turns out that red hair is some indication of heightened intellect, and the travelers are scientists of the old world out to try to maintain/restore the old technologies scattered around. Over the course of the story they (or the boy) activate some artifact which melts the snow shrouding the distant mountains, triggering a flood which nearly (or perhaps does?) destroys the village - some lives are saved because they boy got them a warning, but some people thought he was crying wolf and stayed in place.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Sanford posted:

More like oldbabeless

More details please! Single issue or graphic novel, colour or b&w?

Graphic novel, I think it was black and white, if not then muted colors. The art style reminded me of Crumb.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Several years ago I was in the Strand in NYC buying books, and I foolish didn't buy the book I'm about to describe: it was a compendium of ghosts/myths/folklore/weird things in... I think it was, Britian. It was a green book with encyclopedic style entries on how some random village had a witch, or there was a legend about... a thing in this other place. It was a thick paperback, it had pictures (somewhat) and was interesting...and I didn't buy it. And google isn't really helping me find it as I'm not sure I'm finding the right ones. :sigh:

Help?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

StrixNebulosa posted:

Several years ago I was in the Strand in NYC buying books, and I foolish didn't buy the book I'm about to describe: it was a compendium of ghosts/myths/folklore/weird things in... I think it was, Britian. It was a green book with encyclopedic style entries on how some random village had a witch, or there was a legend about... a thing in this other place. It was a thick paperback, it had pictures (somewhat) and was interesting...and I didn't buy it. And google isn't really helping me find it as I'm not sure I'm finding the right ones. :sigh:

Help?

A Dictionary of English Folklore by Jacqueline Simpson and Steve Roud?

Anything by Simpson and/or Roud is a pro read anyway, even if it's not your book.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If it's not that, it might be
The Lore of the Land

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 25, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

A Dictionary of English Folklore by Jacqueline Simpson and Steve Roud?

Anything by Simpson and/or Roud is a pro read anyway, even if it's not your book.

Unkempt posted:

If it's not that, it might be
The Lore of the Land

These are both close, but not it. Either way, thank you because I'm going to get 'em both just for the reading!

(I want to say it was more... place-focused? But now I'm worried that I'm poking the memory too hard and turning into an eyewitness.)

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Was it an older book, perhaps second hand?

The contents, being encyclopedic and based on county by county around England sound like Albion - A Guide to Legendary Britain but it looks like it was last published in 1995 and wasn't particularly green.

The 1995 version was a paperback, though, so maybe...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Resident Idiot posted:

Was it an older book, perhaps second hand?

The contents, being encyclopedic and based on county by county around England sound like Albion - A Guide to Legendary Britain but it looks like it was last published in 1995 and wasn't particularly green.

The 1995 version was a paperback, though, so maybe...

No... it was definitely contemporary.

More details: it was more focused on places on a small scale than the general topics the Oxford Encyclopedia. While it was a paperback, it was one of those that was like an inch thick and almost hardcover, but not. It might have been based on North American places but England feels more accurate.

Also, this is a master class in why you should write down titles / look up books BEFORE you wait a year or so and try to drum up details. Thank you for the help, guys, I really appreciate it!

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Help?

The paperback edition of The Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folklore by Patricia Monaghan is green and fits your description.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

These are both close, but not it. Either way, thank you because I'm going to get 'em both just for the reading!

(I want to say it was more... place-focused? But now I'm worried that I'm poking the memory too hard and turning into an eyewitness.)

it's not the book you're looking for, but carolyne larrington's land of the green man is excellent

the lore of the land is very good as well

calicokitty posted:

The paperback edition of The Encyclopedia of Celtic Mythology and Folklore by Patricia Monaghan is green and fits your description.

as does the element encyclopedia of the celts. i cant really recommend either of these, though

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

This is going to be extremely vague, but maybe someone will happen to have read it.

Online short story (might have been tied in with a longer work?) written by a fairly well-known fantasy author - I thought it was Neil Gaiman, but his short stories available online don't look remotely familiar, and searching his name and "dragon" only brings up a quote about fairy tales.

Modern-day setting, something is happening underground in a city--earthquakes, maybe. Think the subway was involved. A man trying to figure out what's going on with this meets a woman who does know, the twist is that she's a dragon who brings him to the subway. I have the image in my head of her showing him a wall being hot and maybe cracks and fire behind it. The underground goings-on had something to do with dragons, and her in particular. It was somewhat high-minded and/or modern-mythical, not your typical urban fantasy, aside from an emphasis on how hot this woman was that I remember finding somewhat off-putting although I don't remember why exactly. There might or might not have been a sexual relationship involved.

It was okay, but not as impressive as I expected from whoever the author was.

Ring any bells?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm looking for a dark fantasy story I read online. It was posted in one of those online fantasy magazines, this year or at least not long ago.

The plot was set in / after the second world war in the US, in a lovecraftian setting. The main character was a woman from a town of lovecraftian fish people, who had lost her family in a fish people internment camp and now worked in a bookshop in a big city.
The story describes her encounter with Dagon cultists. Some of them don't believe that she's a fish person and don't take her description of her native religion seriously. They plan on sending one of their members into the ocean to become a fish person. The protagonist knows that this won't work and reports them to the police for their own good.
There's a book out where she continues working with the police on the typical mythos cases. I want to read that book, but I can't find the story or the book again.

I think the author had a feminine name.

Tl;dr gimme SJW fish people

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pidan posted:

I'm looking for a dark fantasy story I read online. It was posted in one of those online fantasy magazines, this year or at least not long ago.

The plot was set in / after the second world war in the US, in a lovecraftian setting. The main character was a woman from a town of lovecraftian fish people, who had lost her family in a fish people internment camp and now worked in a bookshop in a big city.
The story describes her encounter with Dagon cultists. Some of them don't believe that she's a fish person and don't take her description of her native religion seriously. They plan on sending one of their members into the ocean to become a fish person. The protagonist knows that this won't work and reports them to the police for their own good.
There's a book out where she continues working with the police on the typical mythos cases. I want to read that book, but I can't find the story or the book again.

I think the author had a feminine name.

Tl;dr gimme SJW fish people

The Litnany of Earth

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Wow, thanks! I've been looking for this for ages

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The book she expanded it to, Winter Tide, is also fantastic. Ruthanna Emrys

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I remember (almost) everything about this story, but not the name of it:

It starts following two members of a group tasked with seeking out and preventing AI or AI adjacent technologies, which they are this time by confronting some people (an old man and a young woman, I think) working on something that is either an AI, or close. If I remember correctly, the people initially say it's not like an AI, but they admit it is.

The bulk of the story is an infodump from the two anti-AI group people. They say that an AI will inevitably, and in every possible of condition of things, want to grow beyound its existing machinery. It'll want to grow and expand, which would displace everything on Earth. But that would be too constricting, so it would expand to other planets. Then to solar systems, then to entire reality. But even that'll be too limiting, so it'll seek ways to get to other universes/realities.

The AI people say that's bullshit, and ask them how they can possibly believe that. It's slipped that the anti-AI guys are actually from another reality, and their job is to go to other realities and stamp out AIs there because everything they've said happens all the time. It's not a hypothetical for them.

I can't remember how issue is ultimately resolved, but I do remember the Final Twist: the two anti-AI guys come from a reality where an AI took over everything, and the AI is just having them kill off rivals in the proverbial crib.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Pretty sure that's the short story Antibodies by Charles Stross.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Very probably though the story is more terrifying than the summary.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MisterBibs posted:

an old man and a young woman

The bulk of the story is an infodump

"all scifi for 100, please"

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hughlander posted:

Very probably though the story is more terrifying than the summary.
Also sounds a bit mixed in with the Eschaton stuff from his earlier Iron Sunrise series - but yes, what a great read.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Also sounds a bit mixed in with the Eschaton stuff from his earlier Iron Sunrise series - but yes, what a great read.

Any idea where I can find an ebook? Only seeing hard copy on Amazon

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Less Fat Luke posted:

Thanks, that was precisely it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

navyjack posted:

Should be in this collection: https://www.amazon.ca/Years-Best-Science-Fiction-Eighteenth-ebook/dp/B005AYIAZ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499524480&sr=8-1

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

navyjack posted:

He's got it on his website:
http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/toast/toast-intro.html

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I'm back again with another couple of books that are driving me crazy.

It is a young adult fantasy/scifi novel. From what I remember, a human a dwarf and some other fantasy peoples form a party to prevent a cataclysm? Preventing it involves setting fires in geometrical patterns to let aliens know the world is not worth destroying or something. This would have been 20+ years ago that I read this. The dwarves turned to stone during the day is a specific detail I can remember.

The other involves a kid who falls asleep or something and ends up in world where no one sleeps and it's against the law. He meets a townie from where he lives that says he's dreaming because milk duds don't melt in his pockets. I may have had to return to this the library before I finished it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

alpha_destroy posted:

When I was a kid my dad read me an excerpt of a book so this is going to be difficult probably. I assume the book was detective fiction, both because my dad loved mystery books and because what I remember of the excerpt.

The excerpt was in a Scottish dialect. Because it was read to me I don't know if the book itself was in a Scottish dialect or just the character speaking. I also remember that the content of the excerpt was suggesting that someone be forced to bring his wife to court (the exact language was something like "produce your good woman") within like two weeks or it be assumed he murdered her. I also remember some suspicion that the suspect may have turned his wife into haggis or sausage or something.

Whenever I hear 'Scottish' and 'detective', I immediately think Ian Rankin, who's most famous for his Inspector Rebus books, which are mostly set in Edinburgh, Scotland. However, he's written over 20 books and I am certain there's other mystery novels with Scottish people in them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think Rebus is written in plain English though.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Gambrinus posted:

A boy, about ten years old, who finds a sort of "otherworld" of elves, witches etc. inside a mountain. He may have had a sister. He may have had glasses. I'm sure there was definitely a witch of some kind involved.

I read this in about 1989-1991, when I was in junior school in South Wales. I'm pretty sure it was in paperback with an orangeish cover.

It was The Weirdstone of Brisengamen by Alan Garner (although to be fair it wasn't the greatest description in the world!)

I found it in a second hand bookshop in Hay on Wye today by chance.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gambrinus posted:

It was The Weirdstone of Brisengamen by Alan Garner (although to be fair it wasn't the greatest description in the world!)

I found it in a second hand bookshop in Hay on Wye today by chance.

I'm so jealous. I've only been there once, for a few hours. Sometime I'll make a week's vacation out of it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Sixfools posted:

The other involves a kid who falls asleep or something and ends up in world where no one sleeps and it's against the law. He meets a townie from where he lives that says he's dreaming because milk duds don't melt in his pockets. I may have had to return to this the library before I finished it.
This sounds a little bit like DC Pierson's The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've only heard about this in passing. It's a Southern gothic short story part of a larger collection about a family traveling through the American south. Their car breaks down and the grandmother tells a story about a murdering highwayman I believe? They bump into the highwayman and his gang who goes by some given name like "the kid", invites the family to stay with him, and then takes the family one by one into the woods to murder them. Basically all I can remember about this!