Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Pretty sure he's ok other than working for an insurance company.

I actually really like my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I saw this car once. It was hauling rear end, and that’s no bull.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

I actually really like my job.

Is there a secret adjuster-to-adjuster handshake or some code words that I can use to get a better payout on my totalled PT Cruisers?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is there a secret adjuster-to-adjuster handshake or some code words that I can use to get a better payout on my totalled PT Cruisers?

What's a better payout? If you choose to buy the car back, they give you a gas can and a book of matches?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shuUsZeWIzk

Slovenian gentlemen rezoning a local freeway.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Make sure you accuse them of just wanting the car for themselves. You can also threaten to get a lawyer for a 400$ dispute, that's a real winner.

(Really your only avenue to raise the value of a total loss is to dispute the comps, but that will be a slog and you need to decide how much you value your time. If another carrier accepts fault make sure you ask both companies to value your car because I've seen estimates that were 1000+ apart.)

Also, as a PSA:

:siren: Please get gap insurance when you buy your car :siren:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Eifert Posting posted:

:siren: Please get gap insurance when you buy your car :siren:

But don't get it when you're talking financing with the dealer. Get it from your car insurance provider/credit union/etc. Anyone but the dealer because this is one of those rip offs that costs waaaaaaaay too much when the dealer does it because they charge a super high rate and then roll it into the loan to make it look like "see, it's only $12 per month, real cheap!"

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

bolind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shuUsZeWIzk

Slovenian gentlemen rezoning a local freeway.

poo poo that was too close.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Last weekend I drove 300 km and it occurred to me that the only horn I hear was my own, when someone attempted to change lanes into me.

I drove the same distance this weekend and heard no horns at all.

It’s almost unnerving.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No one honks in Ohio. Last I heard one was likely months ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ford Taurus

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Eifert Posting posted:

No one honks in Ohio. Last I heard one was likely months ago.

Tell that to the braindead friend-of-a-neighbor who honks every loving time they drive by our houses. It's so cute!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Last weekend I drove 300 km and it occurred to me that the only horn I hear was my own, when someone attempted to change lanes into me.

I drove the same distance this weekend and heard no horns at all.

It’s almost unnerving.

In Miami I normally only ever hear horns when people don't go on a green light, as opposed to Manhattan where all vehicles use their horns every few seconds to echolocate other vehicles.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FCKGW posted:

Ford Taurus

:drat:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love how my neighbor's rides signal they're there.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK HONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK repeatedly with screams of "COME ON BRO LET"S MOVE" interspersed until they leave, at which point whatever lovely music they previously had pounding too loud gets cranked up to "Rattle your teeth"

I need to move to suburbia.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I love how my neighbor's rides signal they're there.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK HONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONKHONK HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK repeatedly with screams of "COME ON BRO LET"S MOVE" interspersed until they leave, at which point whatever lovely music they previously had pounding too loud gets cranked up to "Rattle your teeth"

I need to move to suburbia.

I have a neighbor who gets picked up by some jackwagon who is incapable of knocking on their door and can only repeatedly honk Shave and a Haircut til the person comes out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst neighbors are the ones with motorbikes.

I like bikes just fine, they look cool and fun. But every last one of them can gently caress off with their loud as poo poo exhaust as a posse of them rolls past my driveway.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

I like bikes just fine, they look cool and fun. But every last one of them can gently caress off with their loud as poo poo exhaust as a posse of them rolls past my driveway.

I've never owned a bike with an exhaust loud enough to annoy my neighbors even with a few bikes with aftermarket exhausts, like that VFR I had. That or my neighbors will lie to my face if asked "Hey is this too loud? I don't want to be that guy" but given that most of them are old straight talkers I doubt it.

I always joke with my next door neighbor that I'm the loud annoying one of the neighborhood and he just laughs at me and tells me he doesn't even hear me out in the garage at night, just occasionally notices my light on

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

No actual neighbours, but a few people who regularly go past my street in the mose deliverately onboxious manner possible. Anyone who says "loud pipes save lives" should be repeatedly shot in the face while being forced to watch the Harley riders episode of South park.

Quads are even worse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Loud pipes save lives

of organ recipients.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Platystemon posted:

Loud pipes save lives

Just outfit all bikes with something like this, if all they care about is making noise so drivers are aware of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17B_uFF4cA

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Hargrimm posted:

Just outfit all bikes with something like this, if all they care about is making noise so drivers are aware of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n17B_uFF4cA

That's hilarious.

Could you hack that into the fake exhaust noise generators that BMWs have?
Serious question.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

xzzy posted:

One of my neighbors starts up his loud pipe Harley every Sunday around 8-8:30pm for half an hour. He doesn't go anywhere he just sits on his bike letting it idle, with the occasional rev.

I would ask him why but a) he's probably too stupid to understand that battery chargers exist, and b) I'm only here for a few more months and I don't want to know the guy well enough to talk to him.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'll take loud revving Harleys over the assholes on sport bikes who routinely blast down my residential 25 MPH zone street well into triple digits throughout the summer.

I'd call the cops but you're more likely than not to see an unplated motorcycle in my neighborhood, plus I'm so far off the beaten path that response time is well over 10 minutes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geoj posted:

I'll take loud revving Harleys over the assholes on sport bikes who routinely blast down my residential 25 MPH zone street well into triple digits throughout the summer.

I'd call the cops but you're more likely than not to see an unplated motorcycle in my neighborhood, plus I'm so far off the beaten path that response time is well over 10 minutes.

The good thing is they'll probably kill themselves in reasonably short order.

I often wonder what motorcycle safety statistics would look like if you removed the lunatics that do ridiculously dangerous poo poo as a matter of course.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

people posted:

Noise posts

I regularly get bikes going by at low speed (like 30 km/h) sounding like they're racing.
Also once a week or every other week a group of people will drive down my street on weekends blaring their horns. I've been here nearly 3 months and haven't figured out why.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll, on occasion when going into a tunnel, blast my horn for funsies.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When I rode a motorcycle (a Super Cub, surprisingly loud), I'd go through this one residential neighborhood on most trips, because I preferred to avoid the main road. There was a stop sign right before it. There were houses on either side, opposite each other, and my exhaust note echoed like crazy between them. I found myself torn between two options. Twist the hell out of it and get up to speed in a couple of seconds, but make a loving racket, or take it slow and make less noise, but do it far longer.

Which do you folks find less obnoxious?

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 20, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VideoTapir posted:

When I rode a motorcycle (a Super Cub, surprisingly loud), I'd go through this one residential neighborhood on most trips, because I preferred to avoid the main road. There was a stop sign right before it. There were houses on either side, opposite each other, and my exhaust note echoed like crazy between them. I found myself torn between two options. Twist the hell out of it and get up to speed in a couple of seconds, but make a loving racket, or take it slow and make less noise, but do it far longer.

Which do you folks find less obnoxious?

Lobby to replace the stop sign with some other kind of traffic control.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Suck it up, take the main road and don't poo poo up a neighborhood.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

Suck it up, take the main road and don't poo poo up a neighborhood.

I paid taxes on those roads too, don't tell me what public roads to take.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It's kind of a secondary arterial, just one block of it has houses on it. There's a goddamn traffic light at the other end of that block.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Skip the side road, skip the main road, take the road running in front of Javids house.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about getting an exhaust system that doesn't sound like a warzone.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
My neighbor starts his Harley around 5:30a every morning and politely feathers the throttle down the block. Thanks, but I'm already awake from the Bap!-Bap!-Brrrap! startup.

Got some petty schadenfreude in yesterday afternoon when it was just absolutely shitstorming during his commute home.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If you're inconsiderate enough to drive some noisy piece of poo poo around at odd hours, don't pretend you're making any concessions by adjusting your route. Just own it, you suck. It's ok, lots of people in this world suck and life goes on.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I almost took some old woman's door off when she was sitting in her parked car on a very narrow street and threw it open when I was right on top of her. That was exciting for both of us!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

The Ferret King posted:

If you're inconsiderate enough to drive some noisy piece of poo poo around at odd hours, don't pretend you're making any concessions by adjusting your route. Just own it, you suck. It's ok, lots of people in this world suck and life goes on.

Ya'll should be lucky enough to hear my 11k rpm scooter. :q:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

monsterzero posted:

Ya'll should be lucky enough to hear my 11k rpm scooter. :q:

Does it have whistle tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys