Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Going to start my first ever run of FFV tonight after work! I'm stoked as hell, got Monk for my wind crystal job (but maybe I shouldn't be according to the google doc. Monks were great early-mid game in 1 and 3, but they seem to taper off after a point. Maybe the tears come from lack of options until that second job)

I am only slightly concerned because there seem to be missables I might need for specific classes (mix components/bard songs in world 1? not sure).
Is it impossible to go back to previous worlds at some point in the game? Just cautious of janking up the run by missing anything a future job will need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Monk -> Beastmaster -> Black Mage -> Berserker

Seems like a fun party; I think my end-game plan is:

Beastmaster with !Focus & Chicken Knife
Black Mage with Equip Whips and Fire Lash
Berserker with Black Magic and Rune Axe/Titan Hammer
Monk with... I don't know. Probably !Catch/!Release? I'm on Mobile so it's not like it's that useful. Maybe Equip Axe so they can do some actual damage?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Depending on your other team members, the answer lies somewhere between "zero" and "a lot".

White/Red/Geo.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Alxprit posted:

White/Red/Geo.

Eh. The only real thing Turtle Shell's do for you with White around is Haste.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Geo/Ber/ser/ker, with fifth job being Ninja. Just got get through Moore and I should be home free.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I got Mime/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk with beastmaster for fifthjob

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
And Shinryu is finally down, having taken about 5 in-game hours to bring down (which took maybe 45 minutes on VBA's auto-fastforward function; all I know is that my save file just before entering the rift was at 14:31, and I'm now at 20:11 after wrapping up Shin and all the stuff between him and the entrance to the final section).

I hope to NEVER need Reflect Zombie and the Hidey-Bards again.

Anyway all that's left is to take on NED (well, him and Necrophobe). For the final fight I should probably blind my Zerk so my Bard can set up buffs. What's the quickest way to blind a teammate without a Chemist on hand?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Eh. The only real thing Turtle Shell's do for you with White around is Haste.

His W2 offense is bleh. Most fights can be worked around, but having a couple for Drain Kissing W2 Exdeath couldn't hurt.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alxprit posted:

Blessed with Chemist! How many Turtle Shells should I try to get before going to W2?

60-70 shells, four dark matter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Colorspray posted:

I am only slightly concerned because there seem to be missables I might need for specific classes (mix components/bard songs in world 1? not sure).
Is it impossible to go back to previous worlds at some point in the game? Just cautious of janking up the run by missing anything a future job will need.
You'll have all your jobs well before the end of W1. No worries on that score.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Rather than Split Shelling prototypes, is there a good way for non Beastmasters to get Dark Matter? There's 6 targets worth Death potioning in W2: Dragon Pod, Boatgamesh, Crystals. !Red and !Gaia should be sufficient on Dragon Pod for a slow but steady kill. Likewise, two of the four crystals are nullified or actually beneficial with more plentiful mixes (Resist Fire or Dragon Shield, Levisalve). I can see an argument for 3 Dark matter but would only use two myself (and you get 2 Dark Matter story wise by the time you need them): kill Boatgamesh and either the wind or water crystal. For the rest of the crystals, kill off water, everyone starts in the back, protect / shell / Levisalve / Resist Fire, get fire to critical so it heals you every turn, plink down the other crystals before finishing fire.

derra fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 19, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BrightWing posted:

Geo/Ber/ser/ker, with fifth job being Ninja. Just got get through Moore and I should be home free.

There is a real dumb trick to make the crystal fight easy with berserkers, if you have three death sickles: come into the battle with all three berserkers minied.

Being minied means your berserkers won't be able to damage the crystals, which means they'll never do their desperation attack. Being minied also doubles a characters evasion, which means with diamond shields and an elf cape your berserkers will block most physical attacks.

Then you just wait for death to proc from your sickles in near perfect safety.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

Really easy for Basch with bard and ranger. But I'm not sure if I can do Shinryu.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
First team: White Mage, Blue Mage, Berserker, and Dancer. This is a surprisingly well-balanced party, all things considered, though I'm not sure what passive skill I'd even slap on the 'zerker. Learning, maybe?

My main worry (aside from tickling bosses to death until I get the water crystal) is that this comp doesn't give me much recourse against Titan. Guess it's time to confuse some flying cats.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Reflect Ring on zombie, another character hides until Shinryu kills himself.

Yes, it takes a while. I see a knight but can't ID Krile; what class is she? If it's dragoon get a Dragon Lance and have that person spam jump to knock off as much HP before they go down. Between that and a few Apollo hits a win shouldn't take too long.

Heck you probably don't need Zombies. Have your Bard dodge the first Tidal Wave with Hide (or jump?). Dragoon jumps. Ranger Rapid-fire with CK then dies. Knight can Equip Lance a Dragon Lance as well for a hit.

Takes some luck but you have incredible damage potential.

derra fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 19, 2017

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
First of all, VICTORY BITCHES:

First time I've triple crowned my first run of the year (in four years of playing). Zerk wasn't enough of a handicap to keep a good Bard down!

Second...

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Sorry, it takes a while to get here...

...when you take the time to SLAUGHTER EVERY loving SLOBBERING BEAST THAT STANDS IN YOUR WAY!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to clean the blood off this BB while I wait for my run to be processed.

EDIT:

Huh, this is interesting. Do you think this means those victory submissions are linked to that run? Anyone know if we can start new runs without waiting for the old ones to be processed?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2017

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

This is what my life has become on the quad zerker journey. At least I can watch videos at the same time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Bufuman posted:

First of all, VICTORY BITCHES:

First time I've triple crowned my first run of the year (in four years of playing). Zerk wasn't enough of a handicap to keep a good Bard down!

Second...

Sorry, it takes a while to get here...

...when you take the time to SLAUGHTER EVERY loving SLOBBERING BEAST THAT STANDS IN YOUR WAY!

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to clean the blood off this BB while I wait for my run to be processed.

EDIT:

Huh, this is interesting. Do you think this means those victory submissions are linked to that run? Anyone know if we can start new runs without waiting for the old ones to be processed?

You can.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Neat! Now I need to decide what to do. I'm thinking Chaos, which was by far my most favorite mode last year. Only question is what additions to make?

EDIT: Actually I think I'll give Popular a try. I was a bit reluctant since I get Blue Mage often enough as it is, but A: Blue Mage is still awesome, and B: YOLO

EDIT2: Red Mage for my first Popular class. ...I get the feeling I've made a horrible mistake.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 19, 2017

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

derra posted:

Reflect Ring on zombie, another character hides until Shinryu kills himself.

Yes, it takes a while. I see a knight but can't ID Krile; what class is she? If it's dragoon get a Dragon Lance and have that person spam jump to knock off as much HP before they go down. Between that and a few Apollo hits a win shouldn't take too long.

Heck you probably don't need Zombies. Have your Bard dodge the first Tidal Wave with Hide (or jump?). Dragoon jumps. Ranger Rapid-fire with CK then dies. Knight can Equip Lance a Dragon Lance as well for a hit.

Takes some luck but you have incredible damage potential.

Yes, Krile is a dragoon. And you're right about the damage, I'm just not sure if I could survive very long. Maybe with the right accessory setup, haste for those who can avoid tidal wave, and reflect or coral rings for the others.
I'll try to get a Dragon Lance and see how it goes, thanks.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Bufuman posted:

Neat! Now I need to decide what to do. I'm thinking Chaos, which was by far my most favorite mode last year. Only question is what additions to make?

EDIT: Actually I think I'll give Popular a try. I was a bit reluctant since I get Blue Mage often enough as it is, but A: Blue Mage is still awesome, and B: YOLO

EDIT2: Red Mage for my first Popular class. ...I get the feeling I've made a horrible mistake.

If you can break rods, it's a good class. Don't worry about it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Blastinus posted:

If you can break rods, it's a good class. Don't worry about it.

Geomancer is awful

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Geomancer is awful

Due in part to being unable to break rods.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

derra posted:

Rather than Split Shelling prototypes, is there a good way for non Beastmasters to get Dark Matter? There's 4 bosses worth Death potioning in W2: Dragon Pod, Boatgamesh, Crystals. !Red and !Gaia should be sufficient on Dragon Pod for a slow but steady kill. Likewise, two of the four crystals are nullified or actually beneficial with more plentiful mixes (Resist Fire or Dragon Shield, Levisalve). I can see an argument for 3 Dark matter but would only use two myself (and you get 2 Dark Matter story wise by the time you need them): kill Boatgamesh and either the wind or water crystal. For the rest of the crystals, kill off water, everyone starts in the back, protect / shell / Levisalve / Resist Fire, get fire to critical so it heals you every turn, plink down the other crystals before finishing fire.

I usually just Succubus Kiss them. :shrug: Yeah, they have 100 defense, but that's still 155 magic power worth of :fuckoff:.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Got White Mage, Summoner, Beastmaster, Dancer. I feel like those first two make this a slow yet free win on their own.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Maleketh posted:

Due in part to being unable to break rods.

Then why are they in the 750 set?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

It's mostly a divide between magical and physical classes. Magic and magic-like classes are 750 classes, physical classes are no750s. Geomancer is heavily magical and thus are 750 classes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Because if it was only rod-snappin' classes, 750 runs would be 100% frontloaded and unable to have Fire/Earth crystal jobs, unless you want to squint and let chemist (staff-snappin') in as a technicality. RK expanded it for those two crystals to make it "squishy mage-esque jobs", so Bard, Geomancer, and Dancer go thrown into the pot.

Blastinus posted:

First team: White Mage, Blue Mage, Berserker, and Dancer. This is a surprisingly well-balanced party, all things considered, though I'm not sure what passive skill I'd even slap on the 'zerker. Learning, maybe?

Equip Ribbons. A Berserker with a Ribbon, Aegis Shield, and Hermes Sandals is, to my knowledge, immune to almost every - if not every - status effect in the game.

Alternately, equip !White Lv6 on your berserker, use the boost in magic to turbocharge Rune Axe damage, and use the spare MP for out of battle healing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Accidently challenged Gilgamesh with a lone Berserker only to find out Gil's weak to instant death.

You learn something new every day.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Bad Seafood posted:

Accidently challenged Gilgamesh with a lone Berserker only to find out Gil's weak to instant death.

You learn something new every day.

Yeah, Gilgamesh 1 is vulnerable to a surprising amount of things (almost certainly because the devs didn't want you to be screwed if Galuf had all your weak link classes). My personal favorite is still Mini.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

It took around 10-15 tries to get lucky enough with shield procs and him using lightning or maelstrom instead of killing me, but it ended up not being so bad! Turns out I could just damage race him after all.
Thanks again derra

I'd never played with a bard before, and being able stunlock most encounters and buff through almost every boss made it feel even easier than chemist (simpler, at least)
Onto the next run~

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

agradine posted:

Monk with... I don't know. Probably !Catch/!Release? I'm on Mobile so it's not like it's that useful. Maybe Equip Axe so they can do some actual damage?

For the Monk, either Equip Axes or Equip Whips would be viable. With Equip Axes, you can give them Thor's Hammer so they can attack for full damage from the back row.

Equip Whips is probably better if you picked up the Beast Killer from the Island Shrine and you're willing to grind out a Dragon's Whisker. Neo-Exdeath's Grand Cross section is flagged as a Dragon-type monster, and his Almagest section is flagged as a Creature-type, so while your Beastmaster is focusing down parts with the Chicken Knife, you can have your Monk blast those two sections with the corresponding whips for massive damage.

For the Black Mage, Equip Axes and the Gaia Hammer make a nice alternative to Equip Whips and the Fire Lash. 25% chance to hit everything on screen with Quake, and it's long range, so it can still do full normal damage from the back row if the Quake effect doesn't proc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Einwand posted:

This is what my life has become on the quad zerker journey. At least I can watch videos at the same time.
Is that the best place to grind in W3? Asking for a :black101: "friend".

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

agradine posted:

Give the Monk !Black and the Black Mage HP +30%, now you have two beefy casters.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that the best place to grind in W3? Asking for a :black101: "friend".

If you've got a heavy object and no need to heal, yes, if only because you can just hold down the up button and walk away for a few years. It's entirely automated.

There's other places that are more efficient per-battle, or give good drops. But that's the "easiest".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soup du Jour posted:

Give the Monk !Black and the Black Mage HP +30%, now you have two beefy casters.

Yea, this is a cool thing to keep in mind about Monk or really any physical job with a lot of HP.

Kind of makes any run where you have White Mage end boring, though, because sticking that on all four people and only using Holy with Curaga as needed is pretty terrifyingly effective for how simple it is. Holy is so loving good

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So, basically what I'm hearing is, if I don't have a whitemage for berserk, a bard for love song, or a chemist for !Mix shenanigans, Shinryu and Omega aren't really doable with a lot of fiesta team compositions?

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

http://imgur.com/a/3rDVa I am very there! Gazing wistfully into the void and contemplating the nature of the abyss.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
pushed quote instead of edit, I am an idiot.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So, basically what I'm hearing is, if I don't have a whitemage for berserk, a bard for love song, or a chemist for !Mix shenanigans, Shinryu and Omega aren't really doable with a lot of fiesta team compositions?

Any team that has rod access can beat Shinryu by berserking him with the Wonder Rod. He can also be brute-forced with a lot of team comps, if you have Coral Rings and are willing to grind levels way past what's needed for Exdeath.

Omega is a total pain in the rear end without specific abilities or combinations of abilities. He's much harder to bruteforce unless you have very specific OP ones (like Spellsword+Ranger) because Encircle is a nightmare and his defenses are terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Any staff-using class can farm up a Power Staff from Black Warlocks in Exdeath's Castle in W2. It exists only to berserk things. Any rod-using class can cycle through the Wonder Wand's spells until they get to Berserk and use it that way. Beastmaster can !Catch Mammons in the screen where Twintania fights you, which release to cast Berserk. You can't target it, though, so you have to get lucky with it bouncing off a sacrificial Reflect Ring holder. Barring that, with enough Coral Rings and Ice Shields you can neutralize a huge part of Shinryu's offense, and raw level-driven HP can get you through the rest to brute force it.

Shinryu is not hard to kill if you know how, it's just a matter of if it's worth the time.

Omega, on the other hand... if you don't have a Bard (Romeo's Ballad), Chemist (!Mix fun), or Beastmaster (!Calm, in GBA only), you're gonna have a bad time. If you don't have a way of dealing piercing damage through innate reflect and 95% evasion, you might as well write it off as actually impossible.

• Locked thread