Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Anyway, I have no idea how to move the mount at this point without causing some serious damage to the wall. I guess the solution is to just get a bigger TV. Was thinking of going to 55 inch from the 47 I have now

I mean, common sense says the mount is on studs, with maybe 4 screws? You could very easily just move it down and patch the old holes if they're visible behind whatever TV you end up with. Are there wires run in the wall at the current mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

sirbeefalot posted:

I mean, common sense says the mount is on studs, with maybe 4 screws? You could very easily just move it down and patch the old holes if they're visible behind whatever TV you end up with. Are there wires run in the wall at the current mount?

The TV is not mounted in vertical studs, but horizontal studs installed specifically for the TV mount because I have a built in cabinet that didn't allow a stud to go straight to the ground where it should be mounted.. I mean, yeah, I could still make it work and move the thing somehow and get a stud back there, but I don't know if I want to do all that work to redo all the drywall that will be torn up. There is already a hole in the wall as well that is the size of a double gang electrical box to run all the cables through to the cabinets. I also have electrical conduit running above the cabinet behind the wall that I have to deal with...

This is what my inspiration was for what I wanted

This is what it ended up being.

All on me for nto thinking things through when deciding on the mount placement. It wasn't until I got the TV on the wall that I realized ti was too high for my liking.

On the plus side, my kid can't reach the TV and hang on the bracket like a monkey bar. Maybe it's for the better.

Going from 47 to 55 inches should fill up the space. A 55 inch TV should be the width of the cabinet. Plus, mounting the sound bar below the TV will help as well.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 18, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
They make mounts with height articulation for high mounting, like above a fireplace. You could maybe swap out the whole mount where it sits for that...

It doesn't really seem all that bad to me, it will get better with a larger TV too.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Shere posted:

It doesn't really seem all that bad to me

Yes, I am sure I will get use to it.

The difference is that I moved this TV from another room where I sat 5 ft from the TV and it was maybe 2 ft off the floor. Now It's pushed farther back because of the recessed cabinets (which I love, get that poo poo out of the room and give me back that square footage!) and then bumped farther up.

Of course, with the old set up I would try to play Rock Band and my drum set would be covering the screen because it was so low. Can't seem to find a good balance

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Give in and get a 65"

Rossilius
Oct 19, 2007
I am looking for a TV under $1000 (really, 600-1000 is fine), with the following as top priorities in what I need. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Priorities:
- 40-60 inches. Note that bigger is absolutely not necessarily better - I would much, much rather have a TV with better picture quality and better features overall that is 43 inches than a dumpy model that is 60 inches.
- Flat, not curved
- Integrated Smart TV functionality, particularly with integrated ability to use Netflix and Amazon Video. The wife isn't so tech-savvy (but also not a tech-idiot), so a relatively easy to navigate Smart TV interface is a plus as well but not essential. Obviously this means that integrated Wi-Fi is important. I know that Vizio does not have Amazon video support and I am not averse to the idea of also using our Roku Premier (Which we already have) for that along with the TV interface. Nonetheless, looking for something with a relatively smooth interface.
- Good picture, particularly insofar as watching sports and movies; the TV will be in a room with significant indirect sunlight. Viewing angle matters and we won't always be sitting right in front of the TV when watching. I think(?) that I'd prefer IPS over VA because of this. As noted below, gaming won't be done on this TV.
- Though I realize it is comparing a rough turd with a polished turd, if all else is equal, better integrated sound quality is important. I look to getting another (likely flagship model) TV - which will relegate my current purchase to another room - and few thousand dollar sound system in the next 2 years, so just need something to live with until then. I'd be willing to plonk down an extra 50 or 75 dollars for better integrated sound, if it makes a difference.
- Reliable brand that's been around for a while (i.e. LG, Sony, Vizio, etc etc etc) in case support needed

What I don't need/don't care about:
- Gaming - this is done on my computer, no console gaming, and I have a good monitor already.

Vizio P series (P55) looks pretty good to me and meets all of the above needs, but I'm not 100% on this and am open to other suggestions.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Vizio P is really good. The 55" is the one that is IPS, but keep in mind the IPS panel will have less contrast than the VA ones so most reviews of the P series will be talking about the VA model instead. Pretty much all TVs have bad sound.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
You should look at the TCL 55 P607/P605. It has 4k w/Dolby Vision and Roku built in and it's just $600.

No matter what TV you go with you should get a sound bar to go with it. Even the cheap Amazon basics one will be better than the built in sound on a TV.

Rossilius
Oct 19, 2007
I actually do not know TCL well - have not been sure of whether to approach it as a "Asian brand du jour" that won't be around in 2 years or not. Is it a well established and rooted company at this point making decent quality products?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I don't know what the h*ck anyone is thinking getting a television less than 65 inches. I have not regretted getting a 65 even for one second and actually wish I would have gone even bigger except for the dramatic rise in price above that size.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I don't know what the h*ck anyone is thinking getting a television less than 65 inches. I have not regretted getting a 65 even for one second and actually wish I would have gone even bigger except for the dramatic rise in price above that size.

My TV room is narrow, we'd be too close to a 65 incher. 55 inches works great, but I will consider 60 when I get around to upgrading.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

GreenNight posted:

When I watch those home shows on HGTV and they always have the TV super high up, I'm annoyed. No one wants to watch TV like that.

Usually it is because they are trying to accommodate for the fact that their early-mid century house has a fireplace in the main room- and there are too many doors/windows in the room for any other wall to have the TV.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Honestly, they should just abandon the idea that they'll ever use their fireplace and set up the room accordingly.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Same. Like, the very next day after we set up our 65" that replaced a 46", it looked natural like it'd always been there.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The other day I was reading about a Visio 120" TV and I imagined it on my wall, it would be like 4 of the TV I have now. It would take up nearly the whole wall and I think I'd get used to it after a while.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Are there any suggestions for an HDMI switch that is well-made, and doesn't automatically switch inputs for me? There are literally thousands of options on Amazon and none of the ones I've found omit the :airquote: smart :airquote: features of autoswitching

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think my 65 is marginally too big for some things. Like if I'm playing persona 5 and reading the text and a character makes a face or does a thing I have to look away from the text, I can't see both

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, a TV is too big if you have to turn your head.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Krailor posted:

You should look at the TCL 55 P607/P605. It has 4k w/Dolby Vision and Roku built in and it's just $600.

No matter what TV you go with you should get a sound bar to go with it. Even the cheap Amazon basics one will be better than the built in sound on a TV.

I grabbed one of these before it sold out/went up to $649 on Amazon. It's legit, legit good. The Roku interface is awesome too. Just plug in a USB stick and you can pause live TV. Also, I left a pretty critical review on Amazon, then corrected it. A TCL engineer called me and talked through the issue. He then offered me a free 43" 4K set for helping others out (dispelling light bleed concerns - the menus don't have local dimming and look terrible; not light bleed). Of course I obliged.

If TCL continues on this path of producing extremely competitive priced sets with arguably the best TV OS (Roku), I'd have a very hard time recommending Samsung/LG/Sony over them. It handily replaced my Kuro...I thought only OLED would be able to do that.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, a TV is too big if you have to turn your head.

Not turn my head per se but like look away to where I can't see the text anymore

It's not a huge deal though it still seems fine for just like watching stuff

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A 65" Sony XBR850E from 2013 isn't worth $500 right?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Nah that's too close to getting a new set with better features to be worth it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That's what I thought. How much are the 65 inch lgs going for on sale these days? I see the 55s down to 1300 or so.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

That's what I thought. How much are the 65 inch lgs going for on sale these days? I see the 55s down to 1300 or so.

You've got the money, don't agonize over it. Get the 65 and :getin:

cheapest i see is around $2400 from ebay/FBA - haven't seen better price

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Residency Evil posted:

Frys had the new 2017 c model for $2500 or so and no tax earlier this week. might still be live

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Don Lapre posted:

Frys had the new 2017 c model for $2500 or so and no tax earlier this week. might still be live

Yeah that's still live and looks to be sticking around until 6/24/2017 or until they run out.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Quick question, are the TV "modes" worth using at all? I mean like the Game Movie, TV Mode, etc.

Usually, we're watching streaming stuff or playing a video game so I'm not sure if I could even notice the difference. :confused:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
My personal opinion and advice it to spend about 7 hours after you first get your TV playing around with the picture settings and trying out different combinations until you find something that looks good and then save that preset and never change it ever again until the day the TV dies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irritated Goat posted:

Quick question, are the TV "modes" worth using at all? I mean like the Game Movie, TV Mode, etc.

Usually, we're watching streaming stuff or playing a video game so I'm not sure if I could even notice the difference. :confused:

Game Mode specifically exists to cut as much processing as possible, to reduce lag time. The rest, eh... I just set the screen up how I like it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Game Mode specifically exists to cut as much processing as possible, to reduce lag time. The rest, eh... I just set the screen up how I like it.

Pretty much this yeah. On newer TVs people say the HDR+ mode to simulate HDR on non HDR content is worth it but that hasn't been my experience. Used to be you would turn on movie mode to make sure a tv would do 3:2 pull down but for various reasons that's not longer necessary.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TomR posted:

The other day I was reading about a Visio 120" TV and I imagined it on my wall, it would be like 4 of the TV I have now. It would take up nearly the whole wall and I think I'd get used to it after a while.

I want a TV so large that it doubles as a house that I can live in. I know I'd get used to it after a while.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zogo posted:

I want a TV so large that it doubles as a house that I can live in. I know I'd get used to it after a while.

They made an episode of "Black Mirror" about this, it looks super pleasant.

I've settled on 55" for me because it seems like a nice upgrade from my current 40 and since I watch a lot of old shows and cable I don't want to see what that stuff looks like any bigger than that. Black Adder on Hulu looks bad enough already.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah a definite downsize of stupidly large 4k sets is that even 1080p content looks like blobby trash if you're too close to the TV. 55 is basically a perfect size for a small/medium room, with 65 filling the role nicely for a large room.

If you're one of those weirdos with an 85" TV in your house then you clearly don't actually care how it looks and just want to be wowed by how big it is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like watching movies filling my field of view like I'm in a theater.

1080p does definitely look pretty lovely at 110" though. I'm hoping in the next few years 4K DLPs start dropping in price enough that I can afford to upgrade the projector.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
My 55c6p is perfect, much larger and it'd be a huge bitch to move and cost me $1,000+ more at least. It also supports 3D, unlike the 2017 model.

On that note, anyone have any 3D bluray recs? I watched Edge of Tomorrow last night and I was pretty surprised at how well the 3D worked, the included glasses were also really really good

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Doctor Butts posted:

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Honestly, they should just abandon the idea that they'll ever use their fireplace and set up the room accordingly.

Fireplaces are better than TVs

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ex post facho posted:

My 55c6p is perfect, much larger and it'd be a huge bitch to move and cost me $1,000+ more at least. It also supports 3D, unlike the 2017 model.

On that note, anyone have any 3D bluray recs? I watched Edge of Tomorrow last night and I was pretty surprised at how well the 3D worked, the included glasses were also really really good

4K passive 3D is the pinnacle of the format. Full resolution now finally possible without the drawbacks of active shutters. It's a pretty neat thing to have as a bonus really.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's extra good on OLED because the increased brightness to compensate for the glasses doesn't lead to elevated black levels.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You've got the money, don't agonize over it. Get the 65 and :getin:

cheapest i see is around $2400 from ebay/FBA - haven't seen better price

Don Lapre posted:

Thanks guys, I think I'll be looking in a couple months. I'm used to my old 42 inch Panasonic plasma from 2008 so it should be a nice upgrade.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This probably been posted before, but what a good setting for watching Ultra HD movies on a LG 65 with HDR? Only thing I did so far was turn off true motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
I need some help getting Netflix to play HDR from my shield TV.

I have an LG 65 C6P with the shield TV running through a Denon AVR-x3300w. HDR works fine through the Amazon video app on the shield TV. The Netflix app only shows a 4K Ultra HD tag, not HDR. The shield is set to default settings for refresh rate (59.94) and color space (4:2:0 10 bit 2020). My Netflix account is enabled for UHD and i have playback settings set to high. The firmware is up to date and I don't see an option to update the Netflix app.

I've tried changing settings on the shield TV to 60 Hz. I tried different color spaces. Rebooting the shield TV with the rest of the equipment on each time. I tried signing out of Netflix and back in, clearing data and cache as well. Nothing works to get an HDR tag.

Anyone here run into similar issues and resolve them? Any other suggestions?