Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Agreed. At the very least I am considering a general Ping fitting.

The number of people that seem to buy the latest and greatest just...because, blow my mind. "I should never have gotten rid of X" they say, and I think, "well why the hell did you get rid of it in the first place?"

There is no magic pill. Its all you. The gear can help reinforce or punish, but the game is played by you not the gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Decided to go do this today instead of watching the US Open live:

And they were nice enough to prep the greens for us:

Golfboards are pretty fun. Way better than driving a cart.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

That looks like a lot of fun to ride!

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I would run into a burning building to save my Daphne parrot and shark covers. Nice gator goon sir.

I also picked up some OnCore elixr balls online and hope they're as cool as the internet says they are.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
What's a ~14 stimp green like? I putted on a practice green at the shell Houston open a few years ago, and I think they were running at 12. The putts were all inside 10 feet, but it wasn't insanely fast. I made 3 of the 4 putts.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So I've never flown with my clubs before and in a couple months I'll be going from NY to California. Anyone have recommendations on what to do/not do?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Get a hardshell case, and if you've got an adjustable clubs, remove the heads from the shafts.

Depending on your airline and checked baggage fees, you may want to look into shipsticks or UPS to ship them.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Last time I traveled I borrowed a wheeled soft shell from a friend and didn't do anything special except putting in a stick longer than my driver to reinforce it and had no problems. My clubs are old and mostly lovely so I wasn't too worried (or was secretly hoping they all snapped in half) but fortunately/unfortunately they came away unscathed. Bag checked like any other and pick it up at the oversize spot at your destination.

The advice above is safer, so figure out your risk tolerance.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

So I've never flown with my clubs before and in a couple months I'll be going from NY to California. Anyone have recommendations on what to do/not do?

I shipped clubs from NJ to Florida a couple years ago through FedEx Ground. Took two days and cost $75 which was a lot less than it would have been to check it. I have a padded soft case not a full hard case and had no issues. NYC to California is a four day lane I think and will obviously be a bit more expensive.

I looked into Ship Sticks and if I recall it really wasn't any cheaper than just sending the stuff myself unless you went for the option where you have Ship Sticks pick the clubs up two or three weeks before you're heading to your destination.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Well part of this trip is a visit to Srixon/Cleveland HQ and some pre-release gear, so maybe if my clubs get lost or broken they'll take pity on me and give me an entire bag lol.

Shipsticks doesn't seem like a great deal in my situation so I may just check the clubs even though it's a bit more money.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Well part of this trip is a visit to Srixon/Cleveland HQ and some pre-release gear, so maybe if my clubs get lost or broken they'll take pity on me and give me an entire bag lol.

Shipsticks doesn't seem like a great deal in my situation so I may just check the clubs even though it's a bit more money.

Most airlines don't charge any extra to check golf clubs, so check yours.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Spent the weekend getting my chipping and putting back on order. I feel as good as I have ever felt about both.

I am preparing for disaster in league play today. :(

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

FogHelmut posted:

I golfed for the first time on Friday, is there an effortpost for beginners? I did have a great time and am interested in playing more.

I can't drive for poo poo, and got worse as the buddy
I was with was correcting my form.

My chipping and putting is okay, I think. I worked at a driving range when I was in highschool 16 years ago and spent a lot of down time goofing around with a wedge, and I used to be pretty accurate back then.

Maybe I should take a lesson or three? Hit 100 balls a day at the range for 100 days?

I don't have any clubs either. Is it better to get an inexpensive full set for the first year or so? Or are half the clubs useless and should I just get 5 or 6 half decent clubs that are used the most?

Started golfing about 2 years ago, so I've been through this fairly recently.

-- Like the other poster said, ignore the advice of the people you play with. Take lessons or, better yet, a series of lessons separated by at least a couple rounds of golf & some driving range time. Ask around for an instructor that's good at teaching beginner fundamentals. Don't hire some 20-year-old ace; he's a great golfer but a terrible teacher. Ask for the oldest instructor they have. Oh, and the sooner you start lessons, the better. Don't give yourself time to develop bad habits right out of the gate.

-- Don't spend a ton on clubs. eBay/BudgetGolf.com/etc are options. Or you can get a new, complete set (bag/irons/putter/driver) in a box at most sporting goods stores that deal in golf. The more expensive the clubs, the worse they are for beginners, most likely. Try to find a set that has hybrid clubs instead of traditional irons for the 3 & 4; as a beginner, long irons are frustrating.

-- Likewise, don't buy expensive balls. a) You will lose a lot of balls, and b) high-end balls are designed for a professional swing, and will make a fool out of you.

-- Keep working on your putting & chipping. If that's the best part of your game, good for you. They will have a much greater impact on your final score than driving & fairway irons.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Lefty and Bones broke up!

https://www.apnews.com/ddd595d5e45b...edium=AP_Sports

quote:

Phil Mickelson and his caddie have decided to part ways after 25 years of one of the most famous player-caddie relationships on the PGA Tour.

Mickelson and Jim “Bones” Mackay say the decision to split was mutual and not based on an incident.

Mackay, who is not retiring, is the only full-time caddie Mickelson has had in a career that has brought him 45 victories worldwide, five majors and a spot in the World Golf Hall of Fame. Mickelson says his brother, Tim Mickelson, will caddie for him the rest of the year.

Mickelson did not play the U.S. Open to attend his daughter’s high school graduation in California. Mackay was at Erin Hills scouting the golf course on the odd chance Mickelson was able to make it in time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bones apparently shares my position on skipping a US Open for a high school graduation. :colbert:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So apparently I don't have to worry about flying my clubs out to Cali, this trip includes an entire new bag of clubs from Cleveland...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

So apparently I don't have to worry about flying my clubs out to Cali, this trip includes an entire new bag of clubs from Cleveland...

Holy poo poo that's pretty awesome. Is this something you won or through work or what? Probably a new set of the Epic irons I'd imagine.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

mattfl posted:

Holy poo poo that's pretty awesome. Is this something you won or through work or what? Probably a new set of the Epic irons I'd imagine.

Cleveland/Srixon, not Callaway, so probably not Epic irons lol.

It was a giveaway on the Hacker's Paradise golf forum. They randomly pick members for trips like this several times a year.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

It was a giveaway on the Hacker's Paradise golf forum. They randomly pick members for trips like this several times a year.

Oh, how'd I miss that it's Cleveland, my bad!

Sounds like an awesome time either way!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Srixon as a brand still sounds like a Deodorant to me but they are building mega-kickass and good looking clubs right now. I've had 745 and 565 and they are both fan-loving-tastic.

It is sad that Cleveland is only a "wedge/putter" company brand now. :sad:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Keyser_Soze posted:

Srixon as a brand still sounds like a Deodorant to me but they are building mega-kickass and good looking clubs right now. I've had 745 and 565 and they are both fan-loving-tastic.

It is sad that Cleveland is a "wedge/putter" company only now. :sad:

It's just Branding. I play the Srixon soft feel balls (because I can't handle spin off the tee) and I wouldn't care if you called them the Wal-Mart Blue light specials.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Oh man, I tried to win some stuff through THP the last couple years but most of the good stuff was only open to paying members.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Sataere posted:

Spent the weekend getting my chipping and putting back on order. I feel as good as I have ever felt about both.

I am preparing for disaster in league play today. :(

Turns out I had my best round of the year. The focus on my short game really helped.

Moreover, I've adjusted my swing so I am finally rotating and not just arm swinging. The only problem is I was hitting everything to the right because I wasn't following through. I should be able to fix it though.

I love that my swing feels simpler and easier. By the third hole, my opponent started pressing and imploding. We split some holes, but he didn't get a single home from me. :D

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has everyone gotten their e-mail regarding 2018 Masters ticket selection yet? A few friends got an email saying they weren't chosen, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm wondering if that's a good sign?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

Has everyone gotten their e-mail regarding 2018 Masters ticket selection yet? A few friends got an email saying they weren't chosen, but I haven't received anything yet. I'm wondering if that's a good sign?

I got my rejection email yesterday.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Haven't gotten an email but I logged into the site and saw my rejection there. Was hoping they'd do something for those of us who got rained out on Wednesday last year but no such luck :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Logged into the site, I wasn't chosen either :(

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
8 straight years of rejection here.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I got my OnCore elixr and caliber balls and while I think the elixr has a better feel overall and might be a tiny bit better, the deafening sound the metal core calibers make when you hit your driver flush makes me carry a 15th club iykwim.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I spend far too much time on the internet reading about golf equipment and I have no idea what you're talking about.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

I spend far too much time on the internet reading about golf equipment and I have no idea what you're talking about.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=oncore+elixr

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

How can shafts affect launch angle?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

How can shafts affect launch angle?
Depends on how much they're bending at impact. It may seems like splitting hairs, but we're littering talking about changing 1* here and there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/MKaymer59/status/870397979475288064

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Going for 9 tonight and decided to get some new balls since all of mine are pretty vintage at this point. After stopping the hyperventilation at the huge selection and price ranges, I calmed meself, thought about the Srixon 3 layers, decided they sounded too soft, and opted for the slightly more expensive TaylorMade TP5s as they were similar specs to the Titleist but cheaper.

You may now commence to telling me how terrible a decision I made.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Going for 9 tonight and decided to get some new balls since all of mine are pretty vintage at this point. After stopping the hyperventilation at the huge selection and price ranges, I calmed meself, thought about the Srixon 3 layers, decided they sounded too soft, and opted for the slightly more expensive TaylorMade TP5s as they were similar specs to the Titleist but cheaper.

You may now commence to telling me how terrible a decision I made.

If you've got the swing speed to utilize them, the TP5 is widely considered one of the best golf balls ever made.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I finished my first of 5 private 1 on 1 lessons today. I hadn't taken a lesson since I was maybe 15 or so, I always thought my swing was decent but never like I was really swinging to my max ability. I hit about fifteen full swing 7 iron shots that all had my typical fade and most were honestly quite bad. After the first five minutes my instructor was able to identify 4 things that I've always known were issues keeping my swing from being easy and powerful but wasn't able to articulate to myself to fix. We went and worked on some balance + hand drills which helped me with hips and using my wrists better, which apparently made me stiff as a board on most parts of my swing and robbed me of striking ability and clubspeed.

The last 20 minutes I went back on the range with my same 7 iron and took another 25ish shots. I was only taking about a half swing on the takeaway but I was generating huge amounts of effortless club speed and the ball was going straight as an arrow 35 to 40 yards farther than I've ever hit a 7 iron in my life. I was out there crushing a 7 iron 150 to 160 yards down the pipe when 45 minutes prior I was swinging harder for less distance and more fade. I was utterly dumbfounded and it felt like I was like I was Doctor Strange getting my powers unleashed by the ancient one for the first time.

Can't wait to get out and play my tee time tomorrow.*

*And suck

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kameh posted:

If you've got the swing speed to utilize them, the TP5 is widely considered one of the best golf balls ever made.

Oh. Wow. OK, we'll see if I can play to them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah, as a complete Titleist whore, the TP5X is the one ball I have zero qualms about switching to from a Pro V1x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, as a complete Titleist whore, the TP5X is the one ball I have zero qualms about switching to from a Pro V1x.

People like to poo poo all over TM because they (used to) put out a new driver every two weeks, but they've made solid golf balls for years. The TP Red and Black? Penta? Lethal? Now the TP5/X? Solid choices.