Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tooting my own horn, but for those that can't be arsed to play it, I did LPs of Angband and ToME 2. The ToME 2 run is pretty twinkish and more focused on seeing the sights (including a visit to the Void, the bonus postgame dungeon), while the Angband LPs are just straight-up dungeon diving.

doubletoot, especially the tome2 run because that game's stupid and fun to read about. i just wish i had more fun trying to actually play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

hito posted:

Have any Dream Quest nerds figured out how the heck you win with Priest? I've won with the other basic classes but Priest just seems sorta bad at everything. They seem like maybe you're supposed to spec them into defense spellcasters who use things like poison / shields, but that archetype seems bad because there are just too many enemies you need to burst down quickly. Maybe this is just me being generally bad at spells talking, though - my only Wizard win was basically going pure electricity thindeck which seems like the most brainless way to use spells.
You can go for spells and be quite defensive with the Priest, but I found doubling down on prayers worked pretty well. There's a card that reduces the timer on all active prayers, and if you get two or three strong ones (e.g. the one that does 25 damage or the one that lets you draw loads of cards) the enemy's going to feel it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyzoid posted:

Siralim 2 for Android is free this weekend on Google Play, go get it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thylacinestudios.siralim2

This game is good!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Even better Roguelike tutorial! :toot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/comments/6h4z09/roguelikedev_does_the_complete_roguelike_tutorial/

quote:

Hi there, I'd like to announce Roguelikedev Does The Complete Roguelike Tutorial starting in one week on Tuesday June 20th. The goal is to give those who want to try roguelike development the encouragement to start and to carry through.

The series will follow a once-a-week cadence with opportunities to include bonus features if you desire. Each post will link to that week's Complete Roguelike Tutorial sections (usually two) as well as relevant FAQ Fridays posts, and some bonus ideas if you have the free time. The discussion will be a way to work out any problems, brainstorm ideas, share progress and any tangential chatting.

If you want to tag along using a different language or library you are encouraged to join as well with the expectation that you'll be blazing your own trail.

Edit: Schedule Summary

Week1 - Part 0: Setting up Python
Week2 - Part 1: Graphics and Part 2: The object and the map
Week3 - Part 3: The dungeon
Week4 - Part 4: Field-of-view and exploration and Part 5: Preparing for combat
Week5 - Part 6: Going Berserk! and Part 7: The GUI
Week6 - Part 8: Items and Inventory and Part 9: Spells and ranged combat
Week7 - Part 10: Main menu and saving
Week8 - Part 11: Dungeon levels and character progression and Part 12: Monster and item progression
Week9 - Part 13: Adventure gear
Week10 - Part 14: Sharing your game

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
I'm trying to get into ToME. What is a good class to start with?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

idiotmeat posted:

Try them all, it's not like any of them are going to live very long. :v:

I would avoid Summoners because they're an exercise in tedium, and generally speaking all of the classes that start out unlocked when you first play the game are "newbie" classes with very linear gameplay and few advanced options, which makes them kind of dull to play once you get a handle on it. This is less and less true as more of them get reworked, though. (Archers, for instance, are much improved from what they used to be.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeerust posted:

Oh, no, yeah, I meant TOME4. I've goofed around extremely briefly with Python and C# when I took a look at Unity a while back, but being able to see and get my hands into the meat of a game that actually exists instead of trying to build something from scratch feels like it might make more sense.

Lua itself is a pretty friendly language; as a newbie it's not a bad choice, and an experienced programmer can read the entire language spec in an afternoon and come away with a good sense of how to use it.

TOME4 itself, however, is pretty complicated. Definitely start out by changing small things rather than, say, trying to implement a new class from scratch.

Benly posted:

I remember Hengband being way better than animeband, although I don't know if it's still being maintained. It was a ZAngband-derived variant made by a Japanese dude and slightly shakily translated, with piles of anime and video game crap loaded in. It also had piles of new mechanics and absolutely awful game balance, but in the fun "everything is exploding" kind of way.

So it's the SLASH'EM of Angband?

Helical Nightmares posted:

Even better Roguelike tutorial! :toot:

This reminds me, I have shamefully entirely stopped work on ttymor. :suicide: I got bogged down trying to port it to lanterna/squidlib, then burned out on non-work programming entirely for a while, and now I've gotten sidetracked writing a new language instead.

I should get back into it next time I feel like merely playing roguelikes isn't masochistic enough.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's a new humble roguelike bundle, although it's mobile only: https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/roguelikes-mobile-bundle

I haven't played most of the games but the top tier has Sproggiwood so now you really have no excuse for getting it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ToxicFrog posted:

writing a new language

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tangledeep has a page up on steam! :toot:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

There's a new humble roguelike bundle, although it's mobile only: https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/roguelikes-mobile-bundle

I haven't played most of the games but the top tier has Sproggiwood so now you really have no excuse for getting it.
Does Humble Bundle still do the thing where you have to install the games through their special Android app, or do they do it through the Play store now?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
As far as I know it's still the app, which is okay with me since I only have a Kindle Fire, which is technically incompatible with Play but can run Humble's app if installed directly.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So Cryptark just released. Any opinions regarding the current version?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anyone who backed tangledeep at $15+ will be getting EA keys for the game right? that's how i understood the latest update when i checked back.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lordfrikk posted:

they've done a lot to cut down on some of the more frustrating and aggravating elements of the game, so i definitely support the state it's in now compared to what it was early on. on top of that they've done a fair amount of optimization.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hah! I'm not really expecting this to be useful to anyone but me; I wanted to get feet-wet with Forth and I figured that getting it running on an arduino I had lying around would be a fun way to do so. Turns out that it's probably easier, and definitely more fun, to write one from scratch than to get an existing one to load and run on it.

Although it's wandered a bit far from my original intent and now handles like a bastard hybrid of forth and postscript.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

baram. posted:

anyone who backed tangledeep at $15+ will be getting EA keys for the game right? that's how i understood the latest update when i checked back.

tangledeep discord posted:

Strix - Today at 8:20 PM
Oh, @zirconst dumb question from the roguelikes thread on SA: if you backed the game at 15$ or higher you'll get a steam key for the early access phase, yes?

(I assume so!)
zirconst - Today at 10:12 PM
Yes

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

lordfrikk posted:

cryptark is fun and cool imo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh yeah, I got an email from the Jupiter Hell kickstarter:

Project Update #18 posted:

Development of Jupiter Hell continues, with regular activity fully public on Kornel’s Twitch stream (live every Wednesday ~5pm UTC). You can also see plenty of screenshots and updates by following Kornel on Twitter.

New release

The Inner Circle has had a new Jupiter Hell release. The latest pre-alpha version includes support for a wider range of graphics cards (even running on integrated graphics chips) and many more gameplay elements such as weapon types, to hit calculations and cover mechanics. If you’re an Inner Circle member we really value your feedback at this stage.

This release follows our first forays into optimisation to help it run on a bigger range of machines. Further optimisation will come in future.

Basically it's an "we're alive and working on the thing" update, which is reassuring!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

idiotmeat posted:

Berserker. Get married to Fearless Cleave.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
We Slay Monsters has finally made it to v1.0 after a rather lengthy Early Access jaunt http://weslaymonsters.com/

Shorter form, high replay fare---but I reckon the card wrangling mechanics just might carry it to good places as a twist on the usual.

Axu also returns with a shiny v0.5.0 after the dev needed a bit of a recharge:

https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

We Slay Monsters has finally made it to v1.0 after a rather lengthy Early Access jaunt http://weslaymonsters.com/

Shorter form, high replay fare---but I reckon the card wrangling mechanics just might carry it to good places as a twist on the usual.

Axu also returns with a shiny v0.5.0 after the dev needed a bit of a recharge:

https://cynapse077.itch.io/axu-rl

It looks cool but I don't know of anything which became an instant turnoff harder than cards in games. They nearly 100% of the time suck and are uninteresting.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cerepol posted:

It looks cool but I don't know of anything which became an instant turnoff harder than cards in games. They nearly 100% of the time suck and are uninteresting.

YOU TALKIN poo poo ABOUT DREAM QUEST???

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

A.k.a. the worst purchase this thread has ever convinced me to make? Yes. :colbert:

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Cross posting from the We Need To Go Deeper thread, but hey, for anyone who may still be interested but didn't have the dosh...

We Need To Go Deeper is on sale for 35% off! Woo momma! This is our first sale since launch so have at these sweet savings you heathens. :getin:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307110/We_Need_To_Go_Deeper/

To go with it, we also have a new Update that adds Brigs, Cloud Saving and Rebindable keys, and we've kicked off our Aztec Mummy-themed Summer Event! Tom Cruise can eat his heart out because our Mummies are the best Mummies, lemme tell ya. Their eyes glow with Sun-God power. Can't beat that. :v:

Full update deets here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/2072067834407105271

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does Humble Bundle still do the thing where you have to install the games through their special Android app, or do they do it through the Play store now?

Yeah, it still uses the humble app and games don't always receive the latest updates.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah, it still uses the humble app and games don't always receive the latest updates.

fwiw I'm using this as the first run of a Sproggiwood build that is actually quite a bit newer than the live on one google play, with multiple save slots and a bunch of bug fixes.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Weedle posted:

Speaking of Dream Quest, if anyone hasn't picked it up yet it's 50% off for the steam summer sale.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
It's time. Let the world know.

https://twitter.com/Dungeonmans/status/877939039478743041

Cerepol posted:

There's that one really cool survival civ-like with stories and exploration and a battle system that is 500% opaque and made of inscrutable cards. Thea? Yeah Thea. Fortunately you can still have big fun turning on auto battle.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Thea's combat wasn't that hard to figure out when I played it. I don't remember it well enough to explain it but I don't remember being particularly flummoxed by it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Thea's battles are fairly straight forward. What I always found inscrutable was the fact that different challenge types put the same characters in battle with different attributes that are determined by other attributes without much explanation of what contributes to what.
It's a fun game nonetheless, get it if it's on sale (or even if it isn't, 20 bucks isn't overcharging for what you get).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

It's time. Let the world know.

https://twitter.com/Dungeonmans/status/877939039478743041

There's that one really cool survival civ-like with stories and exploration and a battle system that is 500% opaque and made of inscrutable cards. Thea? Yeah Thea. Fortunately you can still have big fun turning on auto battle.

a couple years ago that was possible. Now, not so much.

Anyway people need to tell me about Deathstate. Is it good?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

deathstate is great and goon made. its a single stick shooter where you automatically fire on the closest enemy and can focus more on dodging around. and it's got itemization in the same vein as boi more or less. plus a couple different characters that play a little differently.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its certainly not bad but i dont find myself playing it very often either

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Deathstate is:
Pretty cool and kinda quirky (in a good way)
Awesome design
Hard as balls

I enjoy it and definitely recommend it. Sometimes I wish it was a little easier. I haven't seen most of the game yet because I'm not great. Still fun though!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lordfrikk posted:

It is a pretty good action roguelight with some tactical choices - specifically in how you approach each Ark, in terms of targetting their components, such as disabling the turret system or factories to reduce the opposition. It can get pretty hectic, specially on missions with factories where taking your time will result in huge swarms of enemies. The current version feels somewhat easier than it was in Early Access, but the game is pretty challenging still.

There's a good variety of gameplay between the different suits and the load-outs you can bring and it has two main modes: Campaign, where you have to manage the cost of your load-outs with the loot from the Arks through a series of missions, and Rogue, where there's no resource management and you pick equipment on the field. Rogue is actually easier as there are no cost-concerns and being capable of just equipping a weapon or item you found is a huge advantage most of the time, even if you only get one life. Additional challenges are provided in the form of special objectives (like doing a mission under a certain budget or ignoring a specific component) that unlock artefacts which you use to unlock other suits or paint-jobs. There's also a special mini-mode after you complete at least one run of both Rogue and Campaign, where you fight a different type of enemy than the aliens in the main game, your contractors, specifically.

Two advices I'd give for someone picking up the game is to use your shield as often as you can and to note that the timer on the campaign is just a prize modifier, not a fail state.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I love Deathstate and one of these days I'll finish a no damage run. I've made it to the final boss a couple of times but always get greedy and eat a single hit there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bert of the Forest posted:

Cross posting from the We Need To Go Deeper thread, but hey, for anyone who may still be interested but didn't have the dosh...

We Need To Go Deeper is on sale for 35% off! Woo momma! This is our first sale since launch so have at these sweet savings you heathens. :getin:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307110/We_Need_To_Go_Deeper/

To go with it, we also have a new Update that adds Brigs, Cloud Saving and Rebindable keys, and we've kicked off our Aztec Mummy-themed Summer Event! Tom Cruise can eat his heart out because our Mummies are the best Mummies, lemme tell ya. Their eyes glow with Sun-God power. Can't beat that. :v:

Full update deets here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/2072067834407105271

can i play as a mummy? I love mummies

deathstate is great because it has a space mummy you can play as

edit: i also enjoyed deathstate more than isaac even if i will never successfully unlock the skeleton king

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 23, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

lordfrikk posted:

I picked it up in early access and am kinda surprised it's only just now released, it was basically done ages ago. It's currently got one or two cosmetic bugs that weren't there 6 months ago, but seeing how it's gotten about 5 patches in the first day of release I'm sure they'll be gone very soon. Solid polish, game that plays out exactly as it says on the tin, decent replay value, easily worth the purchase price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

can i play as a mummy? I love mummies

deathstate is great because it has a space mummy you can play as

edit: i also enjoyed deathstate more than isaac even if i will never successfully unlock the skeleton king

Haha unfortunately no, you can't play as a mummy, just fight em in this update and steal their fashionable headwear. :v: Though incidentally I think you just sold me on Deathstate. Anyone else have any good Mummy suggestions? Is Immortal Redneck any good? Or rather, is it at all different from Ziggurat?