Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The article an absolute howl, too.

quote:

Diane’s tastes and styling aren’t the most racist or even overt example of Orientalism on the show, but the series does assign its characters quirks that are often the marks of marginalized people. For example, many characters have some sort of physical disability like an eye patch or hearing loss. Making that the most identifiable mark of their characters creates a vicious cycle of reinforcing the perception of their marginalized status: Nadine Hurley (Wendy Robie) isn’t described as the woman whose husband is in love with another woman, but as the kook with the eyepatch. Meanwhile, in the current season, the only Asian character is Naido (Nae Yuuki), the woman without eyes who doesn’t speak in the Purple Room.

There are some serious problems with that paragraph :stare:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"I need an article on Twin Peaks being problematic by morning."

"But, sir-"

"No buts, just get it done!"

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Dangerously Bad Cooper

DB Cooper

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Dopplegangers are a disgusting representation of the blind. Just because they have cataracts doesn't mean they'll strand you in some becurtained hellscape with a one-armed man and commit identity theft.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CJacobs posted:

Danzig is still my favorite Bad Coop nickname.
I was wondering, what's the origin of that one?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Chev posted:

I was wondering, what's the origin of that one?

he. looks. like. danzig. visually.
when you look at danzig, with your eyes, and you look at bad coop, with your eyes, your mind makes the connection, visually, that they look somewhat similar.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Booper looks like Danzig, pretty cut and dried.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Are those not the same person?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's also Mr. C, but I think everyone forgot about that one basically immediately in favour of the funnier ones

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I think Booper probably told Diane that she brewed some lovely coffee and, well, that was that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

One cool thing I just realized is how electricity figures into Twin Peaks music, just listen to it emitting in the background here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUcuccdGmeg

e:

PantsBandit posted:

I actually think it works better with them as being high school age. There are a lot of themes in the show about sexuality and young people discovering their sexuality and how the monsters out there, both real and mystical, want to take advantage of this uncertainty. Audrey taking it upon herself to investigate One-Eyed Jack's and getting in way over her head is a good example of this. It also helped to demonstrate how different Laura was from her peers in regards to how far she had dove into her own fetishism and how isolated it made her feel.

I've always been uncertain about the level of fetishism Laura was looking for. Like, she obviously was geting something out of the night walker lifestyle, but she seemed to be pleading with Jacques in FWWM about the rope, "not again". It wasn't about money, probably had a lot to do with self loathing, but it's a very blurry line there.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 22, 2017

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

kaworu posted:

The article an absolute howl, too.

There are some serious problems with that paragraph :stare:

I believe all Asian people are mute and I will never be persuaded otherwise.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

The gunshot kill definitely had some weirdness to it with that wobble effect and Bad Coop said something about her acting like a human or something like that, right? We can say there was something off and supernatural about the scene, but I don't think there's anything concrete to go on yet unless Lynch show us more.

I think the line was "exemplified humanity" or something, which I took as BadCoop arranging the betrayal by her, or at least starting the married couple down to this path, and exulting in it, like a gourmand with a particularily refined meal. BadCoop doesn't just kill people, he destroys them from the inside.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I think the line was "exemplified humanity" or something, which I took as BadCoop arranging the betrayal by her, or at least starting the married couple down to this path, and exulting in it, like a gourmand with a particularily refined meal. BadCoop doesn't just kill people, he destroys them from the inside.

Specifically, "you follow human nature perfectly."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I believe all Asian people are mute and I will never be persuaded otherwise.

How can you even tell she's supposed to be Asian if we can't see the slanted eyes or hear her accented speech? :smuggo:

Really, though, I don't think anyone who settle on "the kook with the eyepatch" as a descriptor of Nadine. It's an important part of her relationship with Ed but it never hinders her (that we see. Maybe it's why her silent drape runners never get funded) and she's certainly got more going on for her than a bum eye. I feel like the author would have a problem with all the characters talking about a "one armed man" as if Lynch was marginalizing someone down to one aspect of their character instead of acknowledging that in a town of two armed people, having a different number of arms is a pretty good descriptor if you're trying to find a person. And no, I did not read the article.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Clickbait gonna clickbait.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
I've been rewatching the episodes keeping a good eye out for the symbolisms and I think what happens to the young couple watching The Box is a metaphor for what Bdoopage did to Audrey and Annie with his dick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Modrasone posted:

I've been rewatching the episodes keeping a good eye out for the symbolisms and I think what happens to the young couple watching The Box is a metaphor for what Bdoopage did to Audrey and Annie with his dick.

Ripped their faces to shreds?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I like the implication that "woman whose husband is cheating on her" is somehow a good and deep character breakdown.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Franchescanado posted:

Well if you look into the Ruth Davenport stuff she was actually having an affair with that Scooby Doo dude, and she's found with an eye missing that quite honestly looks like it was hosed out at some point. Plus the scene with the Box happens during a sex act so it's kind of a sexual assault. The clues are all there if you look for them hard enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Franchescanado posted:

What if Twin Peaks was Tokyo Gore Police?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Modrasone posted:

The clues are all there if you look for them hard enough.

I feel like this is the most appropriate thread title.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What if Twin Peaks was Tokyo Gore Police?

Now I just want to see MIKE with a katana replacing his missing arm.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Josie's making the mystery hum, right?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Lycus posted:

Josie's making the mystery hum, right?
That's what I thought originally, but the longer the scene went on the less I felt that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Were this the old school Twin Peaks, Josie's face would have materialized on one of the zoomed-in-on walls, still screaming, after Ben and co. had left the scene. But as this is not the old school Twin Peaks, we can't say for sure!

Initially I assumed the humming was coming from the key.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

So Evil Coop is the Doppelganger Coop's body with BOB floating around somewhere in his head, as confirmed by the mirror scene in the jail right? Sort of like Leland but with a more willing host?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
BOB is the queen bee capable of possessing someone entirely, Doppelgangers are worker bees that run around doing chaos for the queen bee while imitating someone who enters the lodge. The worker bees are their own entity, but they are connected to the queen bee (psychic links). The longer these worker bees (Booper) are away from their queen bee (BOB), they become weaker ("So...You are still with me..Good..." -Booper).

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

BOB is the queen bee capable of possessing someone entirely, Doppelgangers are worker bees that run around doing chaos for the queen bee while imitating someone who enters the lodge. The worker bees are their own entity, but they are connected to the queen bee (psychic links). The longer these worker bees (Booper) are away from their queen bee (BOB), they become weaker ("So...You are still with me..Good..." -Booper).

Ah so we probably haven't seen BOB himself do anything this season yet have we? Not counting the mirror thing, Booper's actions have been all Doppelganger while BOB is just off somewhere else?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

El Jeffe posted:

Ah so we probably haven't seen BOB himself do anything this season yet have we? Not counting the mirror thing, Booper's actions have been all Doppelganger while BOB is just off somewhere else?

Yeah, that's what I'm working with. Bob's still running around Twin Peaks or in the Black Lodge.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't think "weaker" really plays into it, Dopplecoop has a working relationship/was created by BOB, who himself might be an aspect of the Lodge while still being an independent entity. Dopplecoop is a Shadow that managed to overpower his original - while deeply connected to the Lodge, he is still a physical entity, he cannot possess people, etc. whereas BOB is an atavistic force that functions like a catalyst or wild id for humans. Leland was deeply shameful of his reliance on BOB on some subconscious level for allowing him to enact his desires whereas Mr C uses BOB in some cold, way to enact his desires (as a construct, I assume those desires are whatever Cooper deeply wanted but would not allow himself, such as Diane or Audrey).
I don't think there's any real hierarchy when it comes to the Lodge, as it exists beyond mundane concepts of authority and reason. It's more like a number of very powerful agents all following their own goals and using/ attacking one another as necessary.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm working with. Bob's still running around Twin Peaks or in the Black Lodge.

Yeah, no. BOB is definitely inhabiting doppelcooper. Lynch really went out of his way to explain that with the whole mirror flashback / coda sequence in the prison. We haven't seen him again because Frank Silva passed away ages ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Looks like two entities to me. This also got a flashback.

:colbert:

Seriously, though.Why would Booper say "Oh, you're still with me." if he WAS Bob? He'd say "Oh good, I'm still Bob" or "I've still got the power" or some other dumb poo poo. Not address Bob like a separate entity.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
because he's a doppelganger who is inhabited by bob's spirit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Let's consider this: Booper, at this point, was fresh out of the Black Lodge and closest to BOB. Like a battery, he's fully charged.

25 years later, now that the Lodge is trying to pull him back, his "battery" is down to, like, 10% or something.

The most recent time he's looked in the mirror and slooooowly turning into BOB, it's an emphasis on how he's still attached, but much weaker. Hence the pep talk of "So you are still with me."

edit: much like the dancing dwarf is MIKE's arm, much like the slow old man is an extension of the Giant, Booper is an extension of Bob

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

The most recent time he's looked in the mirror and slooooowly turning into BOB, it's an emphasis on how he's still attached, but much weaker. Hence the pep talk of "So you are still with me."

I like interpreting things as much as the next guy, but maybe that whole scene happened that way because Frank Silva is dead and Lynch needed some exposition to make sure people understood BOB was still in there. Doppelcoop / BOB kills more people in the first three episodes than the whole rest of the series combined so I'm not really buying the "run down battery" idea.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like interpreting things as much as the next guy, but maybe that whole scene happened that way because Frank Silva is dead and Lynch needed some exposition to make sure people understood BOB was still in there. Doppelcoop / BOB kills more people in the first three episodes than the whole rest of the series combined so I'm not really buying the "run down battery" idea.

Yeah dude, I'm no expert, these are just my guesses. But I don't think you need supernatural powers from a multidimensional spirit demon to drive around and shoot people in the face. The most he's done with his powers is make some electronics freak out, the rest was prank phone calls and stuff.

If Booper's BOB, then cool, but that creates more contextual gaps than answers. Like, if he's been on a 25 year old road trip, and the rest of the Lodge inhabitants are using their resources trying to wrangle him, then how/why does Red seemingly have powers? Why is there still an evil unrest in Twin Peaks? BOB was kind of the incarnation of the evil energy of the town, if he's gone, everything would be peachy keen.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bad Cooper has BOB in him, no question. That's why he was freaked out when the imitator voice that was supposed to be Jeffries on the radio in the motel room said "you're going back into the lodge and then I'll be with BOB again" or whatever.

It's very clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean, yes. I just never thought BOB would be a linear spirit that could only be in one place/vessel at once. Like, he's always in the Lodge, and he's also able to possess someone. Hence why he could possess Leland but also be hiding behind a couch and laughing with doppels under strobe lights. Part of him is in a person, other parts aren't.

I didn't think this was such a unique theory. Most people that are watching the series with me have similar interpretations.