Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the_steve posted:

I'm looking for an RPG recommendation.

Long story short, I'm looking for ones where you create your own party; things like Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Quest 9, Class of Heroes, that sort of thing.

More specifically, ones for the 3DS or Vita.

Okay these are like my favorite games. One of the most pleasing things in a game to me is creating a party and deciding how to allot their skill and stat points and how to build them. Here are some of my biggest recommendations off the top of my head, and sticking to games that are either obscure or don't get recommended often.

Lords of Xulima - indie RPG with budget graphics (at least they're not 'retro'!) but it actually has challenging combat and rather in-depth party customization in the same way that old Wizardry games did, but with the addition of lots of out-of-combat skills too

Etrian Oddysey - as mentioned, it's basically a modern Wizardry spiritual sequel. Only on DS/3DS

Wizardry 8 - if you can handle the super dated engine this is basically the pinnacle of first person party-based dungeon crawlers

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - I really dug this modern reimagining of the OG wizardry games, it's only on PSN and iOS though.

Wasteland 2 - this game has some problems but it's a solid game where you get full control of four party members and how they're built. The problems are mostly bugs and things like ideal party builds having non-combat characters who exist purely to talk to people and open boxes, and needing tons of different skills just to open loot chests in the world (IMO that's a good thing but I can see why other people hate it)

NWN2: Storm of Zehir - Most people don't like SoZ but it's my favorite PC D&D RPG of all time specifically because it's the exact kind of game I described above. Create a party of up to 6 (using a mod, which you should use), wander around an overworld map where your characters' skills play a part in what dungeons or encounters you find or avoid, lots of non-combat uses for skills, plenty of challenging situations to test your party. Has a linear story but is non-linear otherwise and you're free to just explore at any time.

Siralim 2 - maybe stretching it a little bit but this is a game where you play as one character controlling a party of six monsters which are captured in the dungeon. It's a really well-designed game with some great challenges and a literal buttload of different options and party configurations, if you like min/maxing your party or choosing how to best spend your limited resources to strengthen them this will scratch all of your itches. Instead of using characters you generate at the beginning you keep swapping them out for new monsters.

Voidspire Tactics - A fantastic indie strategy RPG that's equal parts Ultima 7 and Shining Force, where you create a party of 4 highly customizable characters. I really love this game and made a huge post about it here

Low Magic Age - Light on production value and still early in EA, but developing rather fast. It's a classic D&D inspired party-based combat sim that will eventually have some kind of storyline but for now it's just arena mode. It's really very solid for what it is. If you like D&D combat and like growing and customizing your party this is a fantastic purchase at the full price of $4 and will probably be $1 or less during the summer sale.

Knights of Pen & Paper - if you want something more casual, this and its sequel are great phone games that are on Steam as well. You control a party of people in the real world who are playing a P&P RPG, so you create characters by choosing who they are IRL (jock, nerd, rocker, whatever) and then the class they play in the game, and both affect their stats and abilities. Don't expect a ton of depth but I'm fond of them as a time waster.

Star Crawlers - a sci-fi/cyberpunkish first person party-based dungeon crawler. It doesn't have the depth you'd find in old Wizardry games but the world is cool, the classes are neat and it's worth checking out if you like these kind of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Kind of a different post, but This War Of Mine is 80% off today, $4, and it has 1 year anniversary content bundled in.

I never got around to playing it, but it's loving fantastic, and kinda hits on a lot of the things people regularly looking for in this thread:
  • Survival simulator
  • Great aesthetics
  • Great music
  • Choices matter
  • Scratches the rogue-like itch when doing scavenging missions at night
  • Can be run on a lot of systems, cause it's pretty low-fi

So ya, check it out.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 22, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My favorite "create your own party" rpg is Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor, which is old, ugly, broken beyond belief, and only for PC. It's also an insanely fun game where you can take a party of laser-gun wielding liches to heaven and gun down angels in cold blood. Just don't fall off!

I don't know if I can honestly recommend it- my love for it is based off many wasted childhood summers with my friend. But I wanted to bring it up.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got a bit of nostalgia and have been trying to track down a digital download of Curse of Monkey Island, but apparently there isn't one.

Any decent games of that type (comedy adventure games) released in the past 10 years?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Like many of the other choices on the above lists for build-your-own-party RPGs, it's dated, but I would recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's a PC remake of a classic D&D module in the 3.5 ruleset. Light on story, not much voice acting, and you never get to be very high-level. It's legitimately challenging though, and offers a hell of a dungeon crawl with tons of unique enemies and environments.

Just don't get too caught up in exploring the towns at first; the game starts you out in civilization, and you can waste an awful lot of time exploring and talking to people without accomplishing much of anything, if you're the type who wants to explore every area fully before moving on to the next. Dick around town until you start getting bored, then go adventure, then come back later and keep exploring.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The PC suggestions are looking good.
Like I said though, at the moment, I'm more concerned with 3DS and Vita titles since I'm looking for a time killer when I'm traveling, and I don't own a laptop.

As far as what I've already tried/have:
- Final Fantasy
- Dragon Quest 9
- Bravely Default/Second (not what I had in mind, but someone mentioned them)
- Class of Heroes
- Disgaea 4
- Etrian Odyssey 4
- Demon Gaze
- Dungeon Travelers 2

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I'm looking for a game like Final Fantasy Tactics. I played the original and war of the lions and loved them both so much.

When I tried Ogre Tactics and FFT: Advanced I was disappointed because Ogre Tactics was TOO advanced and FFT: Advanced was too simplistic. The original was loving perfect for me because I don't like micromanaging that much.

I have steam, a PS3 and 2, a Wii U, a PSP, and 3DS are there games comparable to the original FFT!? Especially one for steam, since the sale is starting up.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MussoliniB posted:

I'm looking for a game like Final Fantasy Tactics. I played the original and war of the lions and loved them both so much.

When I tried Ogre Tactics and FFT: Advanced I was disappointed because Ogre Tactics was TOO advanced and FFT: Advanced was too simplistic. The original was loving perfect for me because I don't like micromanaging that much.

I have steam, a PS3 and 2, a Wii U, a PSP, and 3DS are there games comparable to the original FFT!? Especially one for steam, since the sale is starting up.

I know the feeling. NuXCOM is probably the closest I've gotten to scratching that itch, due to how class skills work.

The new Shadowrun games might also be a good fit, although they lean a little more towards the crpg side than tactics side; don't know if that's an issue for you.

For older tactical RGPs there's Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm, not sure if you'd call those too much micromanaging or not.

You might also want to look at Invisible, Inc. If you don't mind stealth elements.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 22, 2017

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Backhand posted:

Like many of the other choices on the above lists for build-your-own-party RPGs, it's dated, but I would recommend The Temple of Elemental Evil. It's a PC remake of a classic D&D module in the 3.5 ruleset. Light on story, not much voice acting, and you never get to be very high-level. It's legitimately challenging though, and offers a hell of a dungeon crawl with tons of unique enemies and environments.

Just don't get too caught up in exploring the towns at first; the game starts you out in civilization, and you can waste an awful lot of time exploring and talking to people without accomplishing much of anything, if you're the type who wants to explore every area fully before moving on to the next. Dick around town until you start getting bored, then go adventure, then come back later and keep exploring.

I wish I could have gotten into that more, I never feel like I'm making good characters in 3rd ed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MussoliniB posted:

Voidspire Tactics (and its recently released semi-sequel Alvora Tactics) are on the Steam sale and are exactly what you're looking for :)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Voidspire Tactics - A fantastic indie strategy RPG that's equal parts Ultima 7 and Shining Force, where you create a party of 4 highly customizable characters. I really love this game and made a huge post about it here

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Voidspire Tactics (and its recently released semi-sequel Alvora Tactics) are on the Steam sale and are exactly what you're looking for :)

Never heard of this, but I guess I am buying it.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

Never heard of this, but I guess I am buying it.

That's exactly what I'm doing right now. Thanks y'all.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

the_steve posted:

The PC suggestions are looking good.
Like I said though, at the moment, I'm more concerned with 3DS and Vita titles since I'm looking for a time killer when I'm traveling, and I don't own a laptop.

Since everybody can't stop talking about PC games, I'll go ahead and repost, :filez: be damned. The Final Fantasy Legend series (distinct from Final Fantasy, they're sold as the SaGa series in japan) got DS ports in japanese. If you're comfortable applying patches to DS games, there's english translations available for each (or someone may have done the work of patching and you just need a blank cartridge, wink wink). The plots are light and the systems are deliberately opaque and random-feeling and the fun comes from breaking the game despite not having total control over everything. The original games were literally designed to be completed during a single 8-hour flight each, and the remakes make it take a bit longer than that due to presentation.

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 22, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Thanks for this list, will check some out (edit: and just bought most of the ones I didn't already have! Wizardry games are 75% off in the sale). Thanks to all who responded to my SF RPG question last page as well. I've been playing more Shadowrun and am really enjoying it. I was trying to figure out why it appealed to me in a way that some recent party based isometric RPGs had not. Initially I thought it was the theme, but a big part of it is also that combat is fairly snappy, despite there being a lot of skills and variety. So I might broaden my quest to include fantasy as well.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 23, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MussoliniB posted:

Jean D'Arc on the PSP is really good. One of my favourites in this genre. Not too much micromanagement either. My other fave is Vandal Hearts 2 (1 is OK, the newer PS3 one is crap) but that's a PS1 game.

Looking up some of this stuff reminded me that Lord of The Rings Tactics (PSP) exists. Unfortunately it's terrible.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 23, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please forgive me if this is outside the purview of this thread but: Is Kingdoms of Amalur worth 5 bucks? I got a friend who raves about it but he has suspect taste.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Please forgive me if this is outside the purview of this thread but: Is Kingdoms of Amalur worth 5 bucks? I got a friend who raves about it but he has suspect taste.

It's worth 5 bucks, IMO.

It's basically an offline MMO if you're into that.

My one recommendation is that you don't try to go for any sort of 100% quest completion or you will burn out pretty fast.

Just do whatever sidequest looks fun to you and then move on to the next storyline quest. My rule of thumb was to basically avoid any quest that had me fetch X amount of Y.

Edit: the beforeiplay wiki has some good tips as well. http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Kingdoms_of_Amalur:_Reckoning definitely play it for what seems fun and not for min/maxing or you will hate it.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 23, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's a demo, too. Though it just runs you through the tutorial, so you won't necessarily get a full feel for the game.

It's basically a bargain bin Elder Scrolls game with more action-y combat, some pretty good art design, and draws from Celtic stuff instead of bog standard fantasy tropes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool I'll check it out. That's the game from the Curt Schilling studio that bankrupted the state of Rhode Island or something right?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The game we got was originally an unrelated thing before they bought it up and converted it into an Amalur game. The game that bankrupted the studio was a separate, floundering MMO. Folks often mistakenly conflate the two.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

John Murdoch posted:

There's a demo, too. Though it just runs you through the tutorial, so you won't necessarily get a full feel for the game.

It's basically a bargain bin Elder Scrolls game with more action-y combat, some pretty good art design, and draws from Celtic stuff instead of bog standard fantasy tropes.

The combat is way more fun than any TES game though (when you're in the difficulty sweet spot, which you often aren't), I'd regard it as an action game first with only a skeleton of an open-world single player RPG.

hampig fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 25, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Got a bit of nostalgia and have been trying to track down a digital download of Curse of Monkey Island, but apparently there isn't one.

Any decent games of that type (comedy adventure games) released in the past 10 years?

What an absolutely fantastic game. I still have it on disc.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I understand that Harebrained Schemes is creating an updated BattleTech and as someone who grew up playing the original tabletop game, this has got me pretty excited. However, I'm not gonna get too hyped about something until it both launches and gets good reviews, so in the meantime, I'm hoping that someone can recommend a PC game to me that scratches the same itch as the old tabletop game. I remember liking one of the Front Mission games for the PS2 because of how it reminded me of BattleTech, but the only Front Mission game I can find on Steam looks to be real-time and gets bad reviews to boot. Is there anything out there that does squad, turn-based combat with a high degree of customization for each unit? Scifi or fantasy setting is a plus, but not necessary.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Prey vs Nier:Automata. Which is easier?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lorini posted:

Nier has a mode that plays itself.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Front Mission Evolved is a bad title not indicative of the rest of the franchise. Front Missions 3, 4, and 5 are all really fun games, but they require emulation and a translation patch in the case of 5. pcsx2 and epsxe are both pretty easy to set up, so don't let that ward you off.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I really loved State of Decay on 360 but have a PS4 and no intention of going back to MS consoles anytime soon. I'm bummed that I won't be able to play SoD2 and was wondering if there were any decent similarly designed games for PS4. The biggest elements of SoD that I enjoyed was the character trait system, scavenging & crafting, risk/reward elements, and the semi-tower defense aspects of developing your base.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lorini posted:

Prey is very scary!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Caufman posted:

Prey is very scary!

I'm looking forward to the scary :) I'm scared of being an utter failure at the combat.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lorini posted:

I'm looking forward to the scary :) I'm scared of being an utter failure at the combat.

It hasn't been too bad for me on hard so far; the early guns feel a little awkward, but the wrench is solid and all things I've fought have folded after a couple of hits. I would assume that putting it on easy would make combat a breeze even for people unfamiliar with shooters.

But as others have said, if you set Nier on the lowest difficulty it will literally play itself for you.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Prey combat is literally Bioshock, for better or worse (mostly worse) with less interesting enemies than even the generic mooks in Rapture. Besides that the rest of the game is pretty alright.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Nier Automata probably would've made a good anime or visual novel. It's a pretty rotten game. The storytelling elements are strong. The gameplay elements blow.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Backhand posted:

Nier Automata probably would've made a good anime or visual novel. It's a pretty rotten game. The storytelling elements are strong. The gameplay elements blow.
no bad

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Prey combat is literally Bioshock, for better or worse (mostly worse) with less interesting enemies than even the generic mooks in Rapture. Besides that the rest of the game is pretty alright.

Super fast lightning ghosts;
Flying blobs of black goo that send exploding pods at you;
Floating machines that magnetically attract friendly gun turrets and turn them against you;
Telepathic monster that hijacks human brains and turns them into suicide bombers;
A massive nightmare creature that hunts you down for daring to use alien powers.

Yeah, super boring, the lumpy humans with tire irons were way cooler.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
All of which are different shapes of black blob. Also the "nightmare" (bigger blob) hunts you even if you don't have any alien powers at all.

I liked Prey a lot, and the mechanics of the enemies are fine, but visually they're pretty uninteresting. Area design has some pretty great sections though, especially Crew Quarters and Psychotronics.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 26, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Backhand posted:

N:A would not make a good anime or visual novel, or rather, only an average one. The gameplay IS part of the storytelling and writing here. Excise it, and you excise considerable parts of the narrative. The fact that you're playing it and interacting with it is part of the story.

The gameplay is also not as terrible as everyone tries to make it out to be, it just intentionally seems pretty shallow for wide appeal. If you want to, there's still multiple combos, delayed combo presses, different attack strings depending on where you switch weapons etc.
If you wanna put work into it, you gotta do it yourself though. This is the game where Easy mode literally plays itself.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Hey, guys, maybe don't spoil poo poo in the thread where people are explicitly asking for NEW game recommendations?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah, fair, sorry about that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Keeshhound posted:

Hey, guys, maybe don't spoil poo poo in the thread where people are explicitly asking for NEW game recommendations?

Where are there any spoilers? They're literally just saying "These are a few varieties of enemies" and "Hey guys, this game is better experienced as a game because you have input, like in a game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Can you goons recommend me some of the good Minecraft-likes? I already have Terraria and Don't Starve. I'm considering stuff like FortressCraft Evolved, Castleminer Z, Block Story etc.

ideas?