Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Now I feel the need to invent a scheme based around 128-bit employee numbers, organized in a sparse namespace so that your id is also your exact spot in the corporate structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am curious, how often does the average employee use their employee ID number in a given year? I don't currently know mine or give a poo poo that I have one, but I am sure I could look it up in my pay system. How do other company incorporate it so much that their employees use it often enough to even want to know it?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Wibla posted:

This happens on Android too. We have that setup. firstname.lastname@example.com address and flastname@example.com login.

Huh, I never knew that's why I always get my own emails when sent from my phone.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sickening posted:

I am curious, how often does the average employee use their employee ID number in a given year? I don't currently know mine or give a poo poo that I have one, but I am sure I could look it up in my pay system. How do other company incorporate it so much that their employees use it often enough to even want to know it?

As a login, as is being discussed? :confused:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

Time clock ID.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

We don't have employee numbers, the employee number field on our pay stubs gets filled in as first three chars of first name + first three chars of last name

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Time clock ID.

You're on a time clock? Like Homer Simpson poo poo?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SeaborneClink posted:

As a login, as is being discussed? :confused:

Thats what I get for phone posting. Changing all the employee logins to a loving number is stupid. I am an idiot for saying otherwise. All the companies that currently doing this are dumb dumb idiots too.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jaegerx posted:

Not anymore, but the lower the pay, the more common it is to see.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

Thats what I get for phone posting. Changing all the employee logins to a loving number is stupid. I am an idiot for saying otherwise. All the companies that currently doing this are dumb dumb idiots too.
What, you don't like needing to build your own correlation tool to read audit logs?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I did some consulting work for a customer that did this and they provisioned me an account on their corporate network that was like s20465 and it was the dumbest goddamn thing ever. If you were an admin you got to have a regular stupid account number and an administrative stupid account number.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

big money big clit posted:

I did some consulting work for a customer that did this and they provisioned me an account on their corporate network that was like s20465 and it was the dumbest goddamn thing ever. If you were an admin you got to have a regular stupid account number and an administrative stupid account number.

Previous job had two domains, separated for regulatory reasons.
One was 12345, the other 12345companyname

They also had different password expiration policies, so people's passwords wouldn't necessarily be synced up.
Ugh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

jaegerx posted:

I worked at a hospital where people had to use them. SURPRISE! Morale was poo poo and everyone seemed unhappy. Probably didn't hurt that our director was really obviously a buzzword corporate manager rather than even slightly technical.

Also there were no windows anywhere, everything was grey, and we were explicitly told not to look too happy walking around the hospital.

Worst of all, no free coffee. You had to buy it from the cafeteria and dump five sugars and three pumps of non dairy creamer to make it tolerable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Went to a customer site once who's owners had a new Audi every year and company cafeteria that charged .20 for each plastic fork.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sickening posted:

If you're a large enough company, it's an easy way to avoid name conflicts. I've never heard anyone complain about it here.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Time clock ID.

Your id will be the epoch timestamp from the moment your account was created.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Our default password just pairs a random word from a csv with the HHMMSS time that part of the script executed. Usernames are employee ID's. Nobody seems to be bothered much by either thing.

Actually the biggest new name-related policy hurdle was legal's requirement that we append (contractor) to contractor/volunteer/etc display names.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 24, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Serious question time: how do you deal with incipent burnout if PTO and vacation isn't an option?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aunt Beth posted:

Our default password just pairs a random word from a csv with the HHMMSS time that part of the script executed. Usernames are employee ID's. Nobody seems to be bothered much by either thing.

Actually the biggest new name-related policy hurdle was legal's requirement that we append (contractor) to contractor/volunteer/etc display names.

Can't let them think they're real people at the company, after all.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Serious question time: how do you deal with incipent burnout if PTO and vacation isn't an option?

Depends on what is causing your burnout. If it's too much work tap the breaks a bit. I find my work, especially around projects, ebbs and flows. You can't be at 100% all of the time. When you finish a big project and go through the period of putting out fires, take a week or two break from project work.

If you're burning out because you're working on something you don't enjoy, see if you can set that to the side for a bit and pick up something productive that's a little more interesting or a little less stressful.

I've found managing my stress levels in these ways is really important. There's always more work to be done. If you don't pace yourself you won't be around long enough to do it.

[Edit: I would go so far as to say I try to never be working at 100%. Not due to laziness, but due to accounting for extenuating circumstances. Like if you're in a smaller shop and are ops and project work, if you're pushing too hard on a project and a SAN goes down or something, you have to have the gas to be able to deal with that. If a coworker or employee quits, you need to be able to take up that slack temporarily. If you're pushing so hard that you're about to burn out at any minute, if something unexpected comes along you are going to be on the wrong side of that burnout line very quickly.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Explorer posted:

Depends on what is causing your burnout. If it's too much work tap the breaks a bit.

But he just said PTO and vacations weren't options he could take :v:.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But he just said PTO and vacations weren't options he could take :v:.

I know when I'm sitting at my desk I'm working like a well-oiled machine. Not shitposting on SA at any time, no siree.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know when I'm sitting at my desk I'm working like a well-oiled machine. Not shitposting on SA at any time, no siree.

I've been doing that, but it doesn't really relax me.

It's largely because our support guy with 6 years experience got fired at the beginning of May. Since then, I have been doing what part of his job I can, sending requests for what I can't do to a support guy at HQ, learning as much as I can about the stuff I don't know, and putting my projects on the back burner. We have someone replacing my coworker partway through July, but I think I am going to have to learn to relax at work. As hippie as it sounds maybe some meditation or something.

Also I just got an offer letter for $60k, which is about right for application support, but that hasn't been my primary job since two months into my contract. I have doing report writing, which is a new project that constantly gets brought up as something huge we have accomplished. According to Salary.com, $60,000 is less than the 10th percentile for that kind of work. So I'm feeling pretty slighted right now.

It might be because the recruiting company told him that I was looking for $50-60k on conversion. I don't think I told them to say that, but there was probably a misunderstanding, I was deliriously sick when they first called.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I tell this to any junior level co-workers when there's a power/responsibility vacuum like that, whether it is from me leaving or from someone else leaving. Use that opportunity to learn and not stress about things. If you're stepping up to fill a gap and they have no reasonable expectation that you should be doing that level of work, you are holding all the cards. You're learning at an accelerated rate, you're showing how you're able to do a job above what they previously thought you could do, and if you make a mistake or projects slip, that's not on you, that's on them. They're already in a lovely position losing an experienced employee. They're not going to fire you because of a mistake or because your work isn't getting done. You can't reasonably be expected to do your job and a much more senior person's job at the same time. It's fine, don't stress it, and understand this is a good situation for you. If anyone gives you crap, be prepared to explain the situation to them. If they're reasonable, they're not going to be pissed at you. And remember, right now, cherry pick the things YOU want to do to further your career. If you're being tasked with something that doesn't further your career, use the "doing my job and Joe's job at the same time" excuse.

And yeah, finding a way to de-stress at work is important. Meditation, going for a walk, whatever works for you. 15 minute breaks every couple of hours is good for everyone, not just retail workers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I was hoping that performing measurably amazing would give me an advantage in negotiations. Maybe it will, I haven't gotten to the negotiation stage yet. Like, cut our queue by over 90% (850+ to 75) within the first month performing amazing, with 4 months experience.

I've got a list of accomplishments for negotiation, I'm just concerned that the director might be thinking of paying me T1 support salary when I'm doing (very junior, but learning extremely fast according to my midyear review) BI development. And despite being junior, I'm the one person producing said report.

If I'm still underpaid I'll probably stick around another six months and hop to somewhere that I would be officially doing that work at that pay. I just really like where I am, so I really don't want to.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I was hoping that performing measurably amazing would give me an advantage in negotiations. Maybe it will, I haven't gotten to the negotiation stage yet. Like, cut our queue by over 90% (850+ to 75) within the first month performing amazing, with 4 months experience.

I've got a list of accomplishments for negotiation, I'm just concerned that the director might be thinking of paying me T1 support salary when I'm doing (very junior, but learning extremely fast according to my midyear review) BI development. And despite being junior, I'm the one person producing said report.

If I'm still underpaid I'll probably stick around another six months and hop to somewhere that I would be officially doing that work at that pay. I just really like where I am, so I really don't want to.
If you're undervalued financially, then your work is being undervalued (provided the company isn't in dire straits financially as a whole). This will cause you problems down the road independent of your compensation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yep, that's the way I feel. I got the offer letter from the HR lady because she's gone next week and the director had to leave early. So Monday we talk and find out what my future is at the company.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yep, that's the way I feel. I got the offer letter from the HR lady because she's gone next week and the director had to leave early. So Monday we talk and find out what my future is at the company.

It's an offer letter. Can't you just ask to negotiate?

Edit: For example, when I was much younger I interviewed and was given an offer letter for a starting position at 12 bucks an hour. All I did was look at the offer and say 'I was hoping for a bit better starting wage.' and I was bumped to 13(the guy scribbled 13 and crossed out 12).
This stuff is normal.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 24, 2017

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm going to on Monday. I got it Friday afternoon, the director left at noon. I explained the situation to the HR manager and she agreed I should talk to the director since the situation involves the technical aspects of my job.

I'm just worried with how low they anchored it. I was not expecting this at all. I really wanted to stay here for years, but if I don't get at least 70 (pulling a still low number out of my rear end) or get a huge year end raise I'm looking for a new job January.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I got an offer letter at the bare rear end bottom of the posted range and talked them up 7 grand. Don't worry about the offer, worry about the final number they won't budge past.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Career Advice?

I was recently offered around a 17k increase from my current salary (converting me back to hourly as well) to go back to a team I previously worked on (tier 1 app support), it's been a little under a year since I left it. They recently lost three of their more knowledgeable employees (one very sick, two promoted). I don't have the knowledge that they had, and I've tried to make it clear that if they truly do want to hire me it shouldn't be as an attempt to immediately fill that vacuum.

Right now I'm on a tier 2 app support team, we have ultimate responsibility for a few vendor apps that are used both internally and integrate with external facing products as well. We also are transitioning to support a customer facing product and a set of batch jobs. We have a newer manager that we've collectively not liked very much. We also have an on call rotation that has been kind of a nightmare due to limited opportunities to cross-train. I really like my manager's boss, and my coworkers are all pretty competent (really like one in particular). I also like really getting to know the apps I'm responsible for instead of just following KAs and never really understanding the systems we're working on. It's also nice to have input on the architecture for new systems we're taking on (not a frequent thing, <1 per year) and to get to work with competent engineers, architects, and (some) developers. My biggest gripe is that while I was provided a 20% raise to take this position, I don't feel that the compensation is adequate for the responsibility/stress the position has.

Pros of Taking:
  • 17k raise
  • Converted from salary to hourly (meaning OT opportunities, currently just get equivalent comp time)
  • No more on call or late night change validations (and if I ever do have to it'd be at 1.5x hourly rate)
  • Don't have to take work home with me, EOD is EOD
  • Less overall responsibility, can always escalate to tier 2
  • Potential opportunity to also work/cross-train with low level windows/linux/network admins (not sure how much this is worth, their knowledge seems generally basic, may be difficult in practice to accomplish)

Cons of Taking:
  • Coworkers generally less competent or have shallow knowledge, quite a few offshore
  • Interaction with other teams is not the best, tier 1 never has a very good reputation so it can be difficult to get people to take you seriously
  • Absurd number of applications supported, KAs not always the best, lots of incidents/bridge calls
  • Aside from a management track (not looking for this atm) likely no opportunities for promotion within the team. May or may not be difficult to get back out of the team within a reasonable amount of time
  • Not sure how it'll look on a resume, things I currently support are "big data"related
  • 4 less PTO days

I could probably make more by just leaving the company and going somewhere else, but I'm not looking to do that at the moment. I'd like to pivot into infosec at some point, I feel like that would be a lot easier where I am now than as an unknown interviewing somewhere else.

Take it or no? Anything I might be failing to consider?

PBS fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 25, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just to make it clear, you moved from tier 1 to tier 2 in the same company and were offered a 20% raise in the process. Now you are being offered 17k more to go back to tier 1? That seems... odd.

I'd ask if you could have a different title and if it was only a temporary move to help shore up the tier 1 team, and if so, what would your future with the company look like if you did or did not accept this move.

If it's only for a year, you get more money, and get brownie points with the promise of promotion at the end of said year, I'd say consider it. Yes, promises aren't worth much but at the end of the time period you'll have made 17k more dollars and at that point could be at an advantage if you wanted to move on. "Started with XYZ company as Tier 1, was offered 20% more with promotion to Tier 2, Tier 1 team essentially collapsed and I agreed to go back to help rebuild the team for a year for 17k more, at the end of the period Tier 1 was built-up and healthy and I decided it was time to move on." Doesn't have too bad of a ring to it.

If you turn down the "offer" will you be seen as "not a team player?"

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Just to make it clear, you moved from tier 1 to tier 2 in the same company and were offered a 20% raise in the process. Now you are being offered 17k more to go back to tier 1? That seems... odd.

I'd ask if you could have a different title and if it was only a temporary move to help shore up the tier 1 team, and if so, what would your future with the company look like if you did or did not accept this move.

If it's only for a year, you get more money, and get brownie points with the promise of promotion at the end of said year, I'd say consider it. Yes, promises aren't worth much but at the end of the time period you'll have made 17k more dollars and at that point could be at an advantage if you wanted to move on. "Started with XYZ company as Tier 1, was offered 20% more with promotion to Tier 2, Tier 1 team essentially collapsed and I agreed to go back to help rebuild the team for a year for 17k more, at the end of the period Tier 1 was built-up and healthy and I decided it was time to move on." Doesn't have too bad of a ring to it.

If you turn down the "offer" will you be seen as "not a team player?"

A lead on that team that I worked under seems to have some influence and talked me up, so a little odd I guess, but not totally unexplainable. 17k increase for T1 kind of highlights to me that I'm currently underpaid.

It would probably be a slightly different title, they said it'd be a more senior position so it'd add Sr to the title. Aside from that the work probably wouldn't be very different from before.

If I do go back I don't think it'd be a fixed term thing. They seem to want me there and to pursue a management track. I don't expect any promotions outside of a management track, I'd already be at the very high end for what they pay in that department for a technical role. I would always have the opportunity to apply to other internal positions, this wouldn't change that.

I don't expect any repercussions if I turn it down.

Forgot to mention if I do turn it down there's a very good chance my coworker would take it, which would put me in a worse situation as he's the only other person on my team that knows anything about the apps I've been focused on. On the same note, I'm also currently considering doing the same thing to him.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Do it. You can always change jobs later.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's only one spot open right now, so.. we're going to have tryouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P10bC0Bxp20

I say go for it. You seem lukewarm on the management track. I pretty much started my career in management and have been there ever since. I work for smaller companies with smaller teams, so I get to stay technical. I like management because I have more of an influence of discussion making. The few times I've not had the ability to make a decision, I've hated being forced to go down the wrong path and deal with the lovely consequences. It's not the career deathknell that some engineers seem to think it is.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

There's only one spot open right now, so.. we're going to have tryouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P10bC0Bxp20

I say go for it. You seem lukewarm on the management track. I pretty much started my career in management and have been there ever since. I work for smaller companies with smaller teams, so I get to stay technical. I like management because I have more of an influence of discussion making. The few times I've not had the ability to make a decision, I've hated being forced to go down the wrong path and deal with the lovely consequences. It's not the career deathknell that some engineers seem to think it is.

I'm against it to be honest. I'm young and it's still early in my career, I'd prefer to continue to pursue technical roles at the moment. I'm also not keen on the idea of managing people.

From what I've seen lead/manager at my company sucks, seems like they're always on late night incident calls. I really don't know how they do it.

I'm still trying to figure out whether it's what I'm doing right now that I'm not happy with, or just the corporate world in general.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thanks to various mergers, including one where the two companies were of similar size and both FTSE 100 ish sized, I have approximately a billion different logins.

NT username: First initial middle initial surname
email address: firstinitial.middleinitiallastname@example.com
Unix account: first initial middle initial then 6 letters of last name
Legacy accounts: employee ID for one of the two constituent companies. (Yes, I have two employee numbers. Every new start still needs two.)
Phone login PIN.
UC platform login - firstname DOT lastname
Dedicated single customer UC platform - first initial last name
Additional component to UC platforms - firstname UNDERSCORE middle initial Last name

There's a few systems that have entirely unique login details too, that don't match any normal convention of any kind.

The main company, the one who started the merger/buyout had SSO starting to be in place, so many things they had work for SSO, and they are working to get SSO working across the board, but it's an absolute clusterfuck right now.

And no, there's no other person with my first name last name pairing in the company, nor has there ever been.
Most people do just get the standard firstname.lastname for their email, and those who do clash get a number of some sort. I am somehow a special snowflake.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone gotten RMA'd replacements for equipment from Cisco that are vulnerable to the Intel C2000 bug yet?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not us, we're still waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So uh, is it totally naive of me to expect companies offering travel support jobs that require a driver's licence to supply their own vehicle fleet?

It's really lame to be told "Can you drive? Great! Oh you don't own a car? Well that's a shame..." dude I drive a bike, it's cheaper and more fun.