Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's been thoroughly debunked at this point.

it's a joke...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mister Facetious posted:

Exactly the complaint I have with Zelda's shrine system. They could've had like, twelve actually dungeon-length areas of ~10 puzzles each, with tests of strength for mid-bosses- but they went Far Cry instead.

The shrines I don't even mind that much, they're (mostly) nice little mild challenges that double as stand-ins for Pieces of Heart. They would have been perfectly fine if the Divine Beasts were proper dungeons that were as interesting to explore as the overworld; after all, Majora's Mask only had 4 dungeons and people seem to revere those for as garbo as I personally thought they were.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's been thoroughly debunked at this point.

even using the word debunked lends undue legitimacy to the idea of artificial scarcity

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

raditts posted:

The shrines I don't even mind that much, they're (mostly) nice little mild challenges that double as stand-ins for Pieces of Heart. They would have been perfectly fine if the Divine Beasts were proper dungeons that were as interesting to explore as the overworld; after all, Majora's Mask only had 4 dungeons and people seem to revere those for as garbo as I personally thought they were.

I don't think the dungeons are what people revere Majora's Mask for. The dungeons are cool though because they are designed to be reset so there are always a ton of shortcuts that open up when you have the dungeon item (which is always arrows.)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1lrH1kJ6o

ARMs developers talk about how the game came to be. I mentioned in the ARMS thread that if the game started out as a Zelda spinoff, I wouldn't be surprised. Turns out they wanted an original IP from the get go, but Link with hookshots was an early placeholder character model.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

NBA Playgrounds patch supposedly held up by Nintendo policy guidelines

quote:

Unfortunately there isn’t much update I can provide. There are certain elements of our patch that are absolutely essential but that are out of normal Nintendo guidelines. If Nintendo were to approve the patch it would be released immediately, but we are in the midst of a long process of back-and-forth to get small matters waived. It isn’t that we aren’t working on this. In fact, getting this relatively simple patch out has consumed more of our time than making further improvements in additions to the game. When I say it is entirely out of her hands I mean that. We were put in a position where we needed to get this game out at the same time as the other consoles and because the platform was so new, it suffered in certain areas. There isn’t even a change log at this point – is the same patch that has been sitting there for weeks.

quote:

The simplest one is patch size. There are certain size requirements that you can’t exceed in a patch. It took us almost 3 weeks to get an exception to allow our patch to be larger than the normal size. And the reason it is larger is due to the technology we are using and is beyond our control. In fact, we proposed reducing the entire file size of the game from seven gigs to 3 1/2 gigs but because the platform is so new it doesn’t support it now and that can’t be done

Nintendo Early Access titles working out great

Also who bought this? >>> :oh:
You are a good person :yeah:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Are they releasing that DB Super fighting game yet for the Switch? I know it was pretty big news to get the social media gears working in order for some possibility of a Switch release and I am continuing hoping it happens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nintendo never thought that patches might be big?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

These are the guys who did the Master Chief Collection right?

Maybe consider the source.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It's the technology they chose to use but it's beyond their control.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TFRazorsaw posted:

These are the guys who did the Master Chief Collection right?

Maybe consider the source.

Yeah, it's hard to take their word when online play was going to be added "a couple days after launch" and "later this week" (in multiple weeks.) Combine that with their involvement of Halo MCC and it's hard to think Nintendo is completely at fault. Maybe they should have waited to finish the game instead of rush out a "half assed" (quoting the president of Saber when he described what the game would be without online before learning the Switch version would launch without online) game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo probably has completely sane guidelines about patch size, to encourage developers to release complete games. The only other dev I've heard run into this problem are the team who ported Mr Shifty, a game that was somehow the biggest game on my drat console despite having one tileset of graphics, four or five enemy types, and two songs.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does anyone else have a problem with the e-shop not working the first time you try to boot it up, every time? I launch it, get an error, then have to back out to the home screen and launch it again for it to work, every single time I want to use it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Restart your console

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Frankston posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with the e-shop not working the first time you try to boot it up, every time? I launch it, get an error, then have to back out to the home screen and launch it again for it to work, every single time I want to use it.

This is the first time ive ever heard this.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The dodging in ARMS is bullshit

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

Unmature posted:

How so?

The mechanics feel pretty straightforward to me. Do you play controller style or motion controls?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My son somehow set his BotW to Russian language and it actually sounds loving rad.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Frankston posted:

Sounds like your dns may be a bit screwed up, at least that is the sort of thing which often gives this "first hit fails, ask subsequent work". If you are enough of a tinkerer to try you can set your router (or perhaps even switch itself) to googles dns at 8.8.8.8.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nintendo probably has completely sane guidelines about patch size, to encourage developers to release complete games. The only other dev I've heard run into this problem are the team who ported Mr Shifty, a game that was somehow the biggest game on my drat console despite having one tileset of graphics, four or five enemy types, and two songs.

Yeah, companies intentionally releasing incomplete games with the plan to patch them to completion is garbage. People have internet issues, caps, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, companies intentionally releasing incomplete games with the plan to patch them to completion is garbage. People have internet issues, caps, etc.

That is not how it works. Most projects have a hard date to get that Gold Master ready by for shipping so they can go print discs/carts. If you've ever played anything on PS2 or earlier, then you should be fully aware of the bugs you find in even the best games. The Day-One patch is so developers can keep working right up until the actual launch date to get bugs squashed.

That is not the case for entire features, however, that's just bad planning.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Unmature posted:

Someone can't lead Ninjaras with a 1 2 punch lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is not how it works. Most projects have a hard date to get that Gold Master ready by for shipping so they can go print discs/carts. If you've ever played anything on PS2 or earlier, then you should be fully aware of the bugs you find in even the best games. The Day-One patch is so developers can keep working right up until the actual launch date to get bugs squashed.

That is not the case for entire features, however, that's just bad planning.

I'm talking about games like NBA Playgrounds, a game in which an advertised feature is still not ingame and the developer is blaming Nintendo's onerous patch process for preventing them from implementing this feature. They released the game knowing they would need to add it in. I'm all in favor of patches in general.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 25, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

I'm talking about games like NBA Playgrounds, a game in which an advertised feature is still not ingame and the developer is blaming Nintendo's onerous patch process for preventing them from implementing this feature. They released the game knowing they would need to add it in. I'm all in favor of patches in general.

Yeah, I get that. Hence "entire features". That's just some bad project management that is entirely their fault.

To be fair in generall multi-gig patches are pretty understandable when you've got 30-40 gig games (even if a good portion of that are rendering assets), but not when your game tops out at around 7GB. You gotta really be loving with the source code to run up a large patch on something like that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Didn't Splatoon have several whole modes come in through DLC as well? Idk if that was all time contraints or on-purpose spreading out content, but the stuff that was on disk at least seems fairly culpable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ventana posted:

Didn't Splatoon have several whole modes come in through DLC as well? Idk if that was all time contraints or on-purpose spreading out content, but the stuff that was on disk at least seems fairly culpable.

That's different. That was planned to keep the game alive by releasing periodic new content so people remained interested. In cases like that saying "oh, it's on the disc already" usually means there's half the assets for it and whatever buggy code was being worked on when the game went gold rather than being a big conspiracy to hide it behind a simple unlock command.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Infinitum posted:

Also who bought this? >>> :oh:
You are a good person :yeah:

:great:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Splatoon was a complete game, it just was a light game for its price point. I suppose ARMS is akin to this as well, but considering Splatoon's history of support, I think ARMS is going to be pretty special.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ventana posted:

That was DLC, something Nintendo allows. The "patch" for Playgrounds is literally adding in a mode they've been advertising as a feature of the game since launch that would cause the file size to be much much larger then what the game is stated to be. Nintendo isn't pleased about it, understandably, but the devs are passing it off as Nintendo's fault for being pissed their patch is really finishing a game that has been out for over a month

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I haven't been paying attention to the accessory scene for a while. Do good third party docks exist yet? I see a couple people selling bits of plastic you can insert the board from an official dock into, which seem nice but have the drawback of me still having to buy a new official dock.

Unrelated; the Cityslicker Switch Case loving owns.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Trying to turn it around on Nintendo won't do them any favors with the early userbase, especially when its clear they should have, you know, released a fully featured game from the start.

I'm still shocked its so high selling on the estore, I wonder if people were allowed refunds if it'd be lower.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fedule posted:

I haven't been paying attention to the accessory scene for a while. Do good third party docks exist yet? I see a couple people selling bits of plastic you can insert the board from an official dock into, which seem nice but have the drawback of me still having to buy a new official dock.

Unrelated; the Cityslicker Switch Case loving owns.

Nyko's supposed to have a nice portable dock that'll be coming out sometime in September.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo never thought that patches might be big?

I'd like to know how big the patch is before judging Nintendo on this one, everything I've heard about this game makes it sound like a dumpster fire.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Mr. Shifty is a TinyBuild game, which should tell you everything you need to know about it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's different. That was planned to keep the game alive by releasing periodic new content so people remained interested. In cases like that saying "oh, it's on the disc already" usually means there's half the assets for it and whatever buggy code was being worked on when the game went gold rather than being a big conspiracy to hide it behind a simple unlock command.

2 things

1. On Disc DLC has a repeated history of cases where it IS a simple unlock command for something 90%/100% done. That's what causes the fuss in the first place. No one should get mad about hidden unfinished content on discs/carts, that poo poo has been done for ages.

2. There really isn't much of a difference in the end result between "Well, we could've released it initially, but we held back on it for timing reasons" and "Well, we needed a little extra time to polish up some of these modes", assuming that the games have no other issues. For whatever reason the devs are holding it up, and the consumers are made to wait. It's very silly to demonize one over the other when both of them are fairly regular.

The real issue here isn't the practice of being rushed on a release and having to add dlc things later, it's the lack of console parity on a critical issue. The more I'm reading about this situation, the less it looks like the NBA playground devs are evil, it's more so they were just blindsided by Nintendo operations. They are culpable to a degree, but not for - strictly speaking - the process of withholding content for a short time. They should be guilty for: 1. releasing a product that's arguably unplayable or is severely hindered (this depends on how important online play is to the game, which I assume is fairly high), 2. not fixing or addressing a critical issue for such a long time, and 3. seemingly bad practices for making patches (this one is highly speculative, since we don't have much or any direct info on Nintendo's patching guidelines). This is not the same as blindly blaming industry dlc practices.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That was DLC, something Nintendo allows. The "patch" for Playgrounds is literally adding in a mode they've been advertising as a feature of the game since launch that would cause the file size to be much much larger then what the game is stated to be. Nintendo isn't pleased about it, understandably, but the devs are passing it off as Nintendo's fault for being pissed their patch is really finishing a game that has been out for over a month

In pure technical terms, there's really nothing strange about adding content or features via patches. I'm not convinced of this differentiation.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Any reason not to get Binding of Isaac on the Switch? Amazon has it for $30 used which is the upper limit I'd pay for that game for the fourth time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yodzilla posted:

Any reason not to get Binding of Isaac on the Switch? Amazon has it for $30 used which is the upper limit I'd pay for that game for the fourth time.

There's slowdown with the some ridiculous late game combinations but nothing major. It's my favorite version of the game. Being able to play a mostly uncompromised version on the go and at home on the same save really owns.

You can even play coop with a separated joycon set.:)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I'd you're up for the price, then no. Binding of Isaac is Perfect on the Switch™.

The only other issue is that the booster packs haven't been added yet, nor is it clear that they will be. Nicalis/Team Meat have said that they'll bundle the updates every few months or so but it remains to be seen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ventana posted:

2 things

1. On Disc DLC has a repeated history of cases where it IS a simple unlock command for something 90%/100% done. That's what causes the fuss in the first place. No one should get mad about hidden unfinished content on discs/carts, that poo poo has been done for ages.

2. There really isn't much of a difference in the end result between "Well, we could've released it initially, but we held back on it for timing reasons" and "Well, we needed a little extra time to polish up some of these modes", assuming that the games have no other issues. For whatever reason the devs are holding it up, and the consumers are made to wait. It's very silly to demonize one over the other when both of them are fairly regular.

The real issue here isn't the practice of being rushed on a release and having to add dlc things later, it's the lack of console parity on a critical issue. The more I'm reading about this situation, the less it looks like the NBA playground devs are evil, it's more so they were just blindsided by Nintendo operations. They are culpable to a degree, but not for - strictly speaking - the process of withholding content for a short time. They should be guilty for: 1. releasing a product that's arguably unplayable or is severely hindered (this depends on how important online play is to the game, which I assume is fairly high), 2. not fixing or addressing a critical issue for such a long time, and 3. seemingly bad practices for making patches (this one is highly speculative, since we don't have much or any direct info on Nintendo's patching guidelines). This is not the same as blindly blaming industry dlc practices.

In pure technical terms, there's really nothing strange about adding content or features via patches. I'm not convinced of this differentiation.
They admitted to rushing out the game for the NBA playoffs. They pushed out four versions at once and put one out unfinished. Before the release they waited until a day or so before to announce the Switch version would be half assed at launch. Their own greed rushing out the game is the ultimate cause of this problem. If they couldn't handle launching it on four platforms at once they shouldn't have done it. It should always be pointed out this dev worked on Halo Master Chief Collection. A flagship Xbox franchise that launched with online not working for months. They eventually gave up fixing everything that was broken, leaving the game permanently incomplete. Some devs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spacebump posted:

They admitted to rushing out the game for the NBA playoffs. They pushed out four versions at once and put one out unfinished. Before the release they waited until a day or so before to announce the Switch version would be half assed at launch. Their own greed rushing out the game is the ultimate cause of this problem. If they couldn't handle launching it on four platforms at once they shouldn't have done it. It should always be pointed out this dev worked on Halo Master Chief Collection. A flagship Xbox franchise that launched with online not working for months. They eventually gave up fixing everything that was broken, leaving the game permanently incomplete. Some devs don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Wait. Halo master chief collection was never fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Wait. Halo master chief collection was never fixed?

Not completely. iirc one noticeable thing that was never fixed was post game lobbies. The game originally had them but after one of the early patches it just dumped everyone into their own party causing search times to be longer.

Another great thing about that game being broke was their apology was free Halo ODST dlc. They set the date that qualified players for the DLC to be 6 days before Christmas, despite online being broken well after Christmas.

• Locked thread