Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

And we just a handful of posts to get to a new page, so I think I'll help with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter XLVIII: Believe in Your Sylph
Now that Aggro has managed to rampage her way through the literal dungeon Toto-Rak, she needs to find the Sylph Elder and ascertain the threat the beast tribe has over Gridania. This update will be fairly cutscene heavy.

A cocoon attached to the ceiling starts to wriggle about.

It lands on the ground and continues to move.

New Music: Decisions

<sniff><sniff> Mayhap not so fresh... but better than before. Ah, sinister one is gone! This one can leave this awful place!

Frixio notices Aggro.

Hm? Did walking one vanquish the many-legged one? This one is grateful to walking one!

Well. It looks like we won't need to search any longer.

With our quest target secure, it looks like it's finally time to retu-

...Err, finally time to return to the Echo. We can never get enough of the Echo.

Music: The Echo

Our trip to the past finds us back in Little Solace, and it seems to be crawling with Imperials. Wait, how far back have we gone?

Understood. Return to area twelve. drat it all... where is that accursed eikon hiding? No sign of our wizened friend?

I'm afraid not, my lord. Shall I order that the search perimeter be expanded?

Absolutely not. We risk alerting the Gridanians to our presence. His Excellency bid us avoid unnecessary confrontation. I ask you... what good is a god who does not grant one's wishes? Were I a sylph, I should strongly consider finding myself another idol.

Ah. A-Apologies, my lord. I fear we may have been... overzealous in our efforts to compel them to summon their eikon.

Well, mayhap it was a kindness. Better dead in truth than dead to one's own god, I suppose... if you believe in such things. Dawn is upon us. Make ready to withdraw.

Nero, you presumably believe in them as well. You've seen Ifrit and you're hunting Ramuh.

Nero's troops withdraw.

We are so close to completion, I can taste it, but at this rate... No, I must be patient. Our efforts will bear fruit in due time.

You've got to wonder what the Garleans could want with the Primals. They were recording Ifrit's power level, and now they're trying to provoke the sylph into summoning Ramuh.

...What was it you always said? Ah, yes: "Though it mean bringing down the very heavens, who shall challenge the limits of possibility if not we?" In that alone were you right... Garlond. But your star is long fallen, while mine doth begin to rise.

Huh. I'm sensing some issues here. Cid Garlond disappeared five years ago, and this guy is still obsessing about surpassing him. Nero seems to be walking the path of the mad scientist.

Nero walks away while laughing.

Of course, being the Echo, we have to be delving into someone's memories. The only person with us at the present is Frixio, who must have seen everything.

This one is convinced! Walking ones have black hearts, seek only to harm these ones! Walking ones are not to be trusted!

Now, now, Noraxia... do not pass judgement too hastily. Not all walking ones are alike. Though there are evil ones among the walking ones, there are good ones also.

Frixio seems firmly in our corner, which is a good sign for Gridania. Anyway, that ends our Echovision for this evening. I hope you enjoyed our show.

Music: Decisions

And we're back in the hellhole that is the Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak. Let's just hurry this along so that we can get out of here, okay Aggro?

Aggro explains the situation to Frixio.

Hm? Walking one has questions about Lord Ramuh? Then this one will provide answers.

Frixio does a twirl.

This one will return to Little Solace. When walking one is ready, please come and see this one. These ones may speak properly then.

And we now have control of Aggro once more.

Music: The Gift of Life

First thing's first. We have a main scenario quest to hand in. Aggro has to visit Buscarron and let him know that it was a success. He seems to be pretty happy to hear that Frixio is okay, and offers to take care of all the official business stuff for Aggro. That leaves us to go and speak to Frixio about Ramuh.

In an extremely rare occurrence, quite possibly an error in the quest marker, Buscarron has an optional main scenario quest. He's just asking for a delivery to the place we're already heading to anyway.

The optional story quest has Aggro deliver to Knolexia, who will then have an optional quest with a unique reward.

This is the only way to acquire the Sylvan Silk Belt, and you can only have one of it in your possession. It's all pretty weird!

Incidentally, there's a quest around Buscarron's Druthers that can reward you with a new minion. It wasn't available for me because I'm trying to avoid sidequests on Aggro right now, but it's one that needs unlocked. Anyway, let's speak to Frixio now that we're in Little Solace.

Music: Flibbertigibit

Our Scion friends choose to show up again, meaning that this will be an important cutscene and they're still typically useless.

But these ones watched too closely, and imperial ones noticed and tried to catch these ones. Having nowhere else to hide, this one fled into Toto-Rak. Would that this one had not. In Toto-Rak, a sinister one robed in black tried to feed this one to a many-legged one.

Actually, that's a thing I can't quite figure out even with hindsight. What the hell was Lahabrea's motivation here? Graffias was just a regular enemy from the dungeon before he empowered it, so it's not like it's some dumb pet. If he wanted Aggro's attention, there would be a far less obtuse way to do it too. And then there's getting Frixio to summon Ramuh, but that's just one Sylph. This seems like a pretty dumb way to bring in one of our main antagonists.

Anyway, I guess what matters is that we saved Frixio from... whatever Lahabrea was planning. Now we can finally complete our task.

Aggro hands over the missive.

These ones resorted to summoning Lord Ramuh to protect the wood from imperial ones. This one counseled against doing so, but was not heeded. Against this one's wishes, Lord Ramuh was summoned... and all those ones who took part became touched ones.

New Music: Currents

Touched ones, meanwhile, wanted to turn these ones into touched ones, and did know how... So this one fled to Little Solace with all those ones who did not wish to be bound to Lord Ramuh.

Honestly, the first time I saw this scene I actually thought that Ramuh's face was the beard.

It took until the zoom before I realised his face was the tiny head on top of the beard. :doh:

So long as walking ones do not tresspass on these ones' ancestral homeland, where touched ones reside, walking ones will not suffer thunderous judgement.

Music: Flibbertigibit

Papalymo decides to explain to Aggro what she should already have inferred from that dialogue.

That explains why they're so hostile towards trespassers, but what about the abductions?

Yda, Frixio just explained that. They wanted to turn their buddies into one of them. Come on.

A fine question, Yda!

No it's not!

The abductions are, I believe, an expression of the tempered sylphs' desire for reconciliation--another quality traditionally associated with Ramuh. In the crudest manner imaginable, they seek to bring their fellows back into the fold. A timely reminder that the challenges posed by each primal are unique.

That's almost exactly what Frixio said! We've got Yda who doesn't listen, and Papalymo who passes on another's words and credits it as his own thinking. Honestly, our short time with them doesn't make them look good.

Elder Frixio, we thank you for making your will known to us. The people of Gridania will rest easier in the knowledge that they and the sylphs are united in their desire for peace.

Meanwhile, Gridania won't help you out with your Garlean problem. Try not to break your promise and summon Ramuh in defense now. It's not like that's what provoked Ramuh's summoning before. Oh.

That sylph elder's very reasonable, I must say. You could learn a lot from him.

...Hm!? Was that a jibe? If so, I feel it only fair to observe that one of us wouldn't recognize reason if it punched her on the nose. Did I say fair? I meant: reasonable.

gently caress both of you.

Fear not--we will be sure to mention the instrumental part you played in all of this. And while we see to that, we should appreciate it if you would deliver Frixio's missive to the Adders' Nest.

The instrumental part? They spent their entire time at Buscarron's Druthers or faking muscle cramps.

The pair finally leave.

Well, would you look at that. We have the Fire and Water Crystals already. It looks like this has solved the Lightning Crystal as well.

That leaves us with three more to find. I wonder what happens when we collect them all?

Walking one is destined to walk a fate far crueler than this one can imagine. A brilliant light from within walking one enveloped the crystal--this one saw. Mark this one well: that crystal will one day be of use to walking one. Walking one must keep that crystal safe at all times.

As Aggro is about to leave, Komuxio decides to make a suggestion.

While the Scions are already satisfied that the situation is safe, it seems Komuxio isn't satisfied with our own investigation. He wants us to prove to ourselves that the touched ones aren't dangerous. It's an unnecessary task now that Papalymo and Yda are already away to tell Minfilia that everything is okay, but it's also actually sensible to check the touched ones out. Let's go do that real quick.

New Music: A Curious Breed of Botherment

Just north of Little Solace is a bridge that leads into Larkscall. This is a much higher level area that borrows from the 1.0 Shroud design. The forest is still so thick that the lighting changes upon entering and leaving.

Aggro has a /lookout around the area from the quest marker.

It seems like they're not interested in Aggro, since she's not actually in their patrol route. That's enough for our protagonist, and she decides to go finish the task now given to her by Papalymo.

Aggro teleports to New Gridania.

Music: Into The Adders' Den

I hope that involves killing Garleans, Vorsaile Heuloix. Your territory is filled with them.

Aggro receives a linkshell call.

Yda and Papalymo returned some little while ago. And they wasted no time in regaling me with the tale of your exploits. Yet the end of one tale is but the start of another. Pray return to the Waking Sands at your earliest convenience. I would apprise you of the present situation in person.

Back in the Waking Sands, it seems the Scions are already waiting on us.

Music: The Waking Sands

Hm. I fear "resolved" bespeaks a permanence we cannot rightly claim. Yet I am well satisfied that the Lord of Levin will not trouble us in the foreseeable future.

Your satisfaction is assurance enough for me.

How fares the investigation?

Well enough. Thancred is sparing no effort. They are many and one, just as you suspected. Their purpose, however, eludes us still. And on that note, I take my leave of you. I trust the Baldesion report will serve you well.

Why do you ask? You scarce need my permission to act.

Alphinaud leaves just as Aggro is walking in.

The Scions applaud.

I bid you all enjoy a moment's respite. You have earned it!

Music: Fracture

Beg pardon? A man named Lahabrea, sporting a red mask and robed in black...? Twelve preserve... Prior to the Calamity, the Ascians took great pains to remain hidden... Why would they choose to cast off their veil of secrecy now? Gods, this bodes ill...

(Off-screen) EEEEEEK!

New Music: Decisions

A sylph... in Thanalan?

This one is most dependable of these ones! Is sent by elder one Frixio to help walking ones! This one is called Noraxia. This one comes as a friend. Let these ones be friends!

Tataru doesn't seem so sure about this yet.

Well, that was surprising. While Tataru accommodates our new guest, Aggro has to return to Minfilia. We'll need to find out what Noraxia is here for later on. I can't imagine the dry heat being too healthy for a sylph.

Music: The Waking Sands

But it takes all kinds to make a family, and it pleases me to no end to see ours continue to grow. One by one, the people of Eorzea are beginning to unite, Aggro, drawn to the hope that shines within you.

Yet a darkness threatens to engulf this light. Never have I doubted the Ascians' presence, but that they have grown so brazen as to carry out their work in plain sight fills me with a sense of deep foreboding.

Alright. Aggro has a bit of free time for now, so maybe we'll just hit the Gold Saucer for a bit while Noraxia rests?

Chapter Summary

With our return to the Waking Sands, a little bit has changed. Let's take a look and see how our Scion colleagues are getting along, and find out how those subplots are coming along. It shouldn't be long until the payoffs start to show up, though some of them are definitely part of the long-game.

Thancred still isn't feeling better about what happened with Ifrit yet, but it looks like his investigation is going well. Hopefully next time he'll have something for us.

It looks like the last of the three merchant brothers has finally shown up.

<sigh> They could be dead, for all I know. Least it feels like I've been chasin' ghosts for an eternity now.

Aggro decides not to tell Bremondt anything and walks away.

Well, I imagine someone else will probably tell him anyway at least.

...Is there some reason you are still here? Please, carry on. I am not here to see you.

Just inside the social gathering room is a couple of tutorial dungeon equipment wearing scholars. Clive is a bit of a dick.

It seems that Wedge has heard a little bit about the ascians, though he does seem a bit daft. I wonder how Biggs is doing?

<sigh> If only Master Garlond were still with us... He was a brilliant man, full of life and purpose. Kind and generous, he taught us everything we know about engineering. Though believe me, he could also be a very hard person to please. He would force us to completely rebuild devices if even a single flaw was discovered. I can only imagine what he'd say if he saw the Tiny Bronco...

Not so well, it seems.

Meanwhile, Liavinne is starting to get better, and is keeping her mind from her dead lover. It feels like everyone in the Scions has baggage. I wonder if Aggro has any? Perhaps that's why she's now here in Eorzea, as opposed to wherever she may actually be from.

I mean, maybe some folk would say, "Good on ye, mate, thanks for fightin' to save Eorzea!" an' whatnot. But I reckon most would ask what we've done for 'em lately, if not spit in our faces for allowin' Bahamut to blow up half the godsdamned world...

Knowest thou the import of the broken staff within the solar? It fell from the grasp of Archon Louisoix, the man who, in his abiding love for all Eorzeans, shielded us against the storm of the Calamity. The stars wheel across the heavens, and the skies brighten once more. The survivors gather, and ignite a fiery dawn to burn away the glowering shroud. Ah, but destiny, thou art beautiful...

Una Tayuun is starting to let go of her past, hopefully deciding to grasp the present instead. Meanwhile, Urianger continues to be Urianger.

Walking ones from Ul'dah have not seen these ones before--this one knows. Still, must walking ones make such screaming sounds when seeing this one's face? This one cannot get a wink of rest!

Noraxia and I both wear a mask! We're going to get along famously, I just know it!

Look, Noraxia, I realize that this makes no sense to you, but you must try to be more discreet. Years ago, a law was enacted in Ul'dah whereby--<sigh> Please, just trust me and stay out of sight...

As the closest thing to Sylph experts in the Scions, Yda and Papalymo are in charge of Noraxia. I'm so sorry Noraxia.

It's finally about the be Arenvald, the half-Garlean and half-Ala Mhigan, to be sent off on his first mission. His peers have already went off and come back without him, so it's about time he got to see some action too.

A'aba Tia doesn't have too much for us. He's been resting since his mission with the Immortal Flames. It seems, however, that the Ascians are becoming a lot less subtle. It's not just Aggro that they're revealing themselves to.

I must wonder if it is this darkness that invites disaster, or simply that disaster has left such gloom in its wake. One thing is for certain: now is not the time to relax our vigilance.

With no movement on the Leviathan and Titan front, Y'shtola seems to have some free time. It seems like she's also looking a little into the Scions. This might have something to do with her own experience with one in the past.

Last is Haribehrt, our shady spy. Presumably, he's talking about Arenvald. I wonder what he means by the old him? Naive and innocent? Wants to better the world? Some other cliche? Who knows. I'm still struggling to remember this guy's deal. There should be something coming up soon, though.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry, that was a little slower than I'd hoped. I had some issues on the posting night, and the new Stormblood expandion has kept me distracted since. (It's also really good and I'm digging it so much right now).

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Get ready to Pray Return a lot.

CrashScreen posted:

Sorry, that was a little slower than I'd hoped. I had some issues on the posting night, and the new Stormblood expandion has kept me distracted since. (It's also really good and I'm digging it so much right now).

That's fine. Honestly I half expected there to be no updates until you finished the story.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Finally managed to get caught up!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Get ready to Pray Return a lot.

*screams internally*

quote:

Toto-Rok chat

A big issue with MMO dungeons is that inevitably you become too high level and thus redoing them becomes pointless. Thus developers made level sync mechanics a thing. But then this means that dungeons become a part of your MMO grind/leveling options, thus requiring them to be repeated over and over (spoilers: we will eventually get dongles instead of exp for dungeon rewards when we reach max level. As you do in every modern MMO)

So now you as an MMO dev have a problem: you want to make your dungeons exciting and labyrinthe-esque, but at the same time the player base loving hates them because they take way less time than the more linear ones.

MMO devs have chosen to instead have linear dungeons with interesting scenery and challenges, and the games are usually better for it. Toto-Rak is sort of a remnant of the old MMO dungeon design ideology, despite being linear, and boy does it show. It's just so loving uninteresting. It doesn't have a coherent theme, it uses poison way more than necessary and the last part is just a slow down corridor, like to rub in your face how much time you're wasting on this. Graffias can also be hit or miss if your PUGs aren't on the ball or are being dumb. Same for every boss I suppose, but you really feel it for Graffias because of the rest of Toto-rok. gently caress TMoTR.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

CrashScreen posted:

Actually, that's a thing I can't quite figure out even with hindsight. What the hell was Lahabrea's motivation here? Graffias was just a regular enemy from the dungeon before he empowered it, so it's not like it's some dumb pet. If he wanted Aggro's attention, there would be a far less obtuse way to do it too. And then there's getting Frixio to summon Ramuh, but that's just one Sylph. This seems like a pretty dumb way to bring in one of our main antagonists.

yeah it's odd in hindsight, and probably a writers flub. I can only provide conjecture here, but if I had to come up with a reason to justify it I'd say Lahabrea's been stalking the main character for a while and headed them off in Toto-Rak to test them personally.

Also going back to the discussion about Primal Tempering, Papalymo's now mentioned something out loud I was a bit cagey about mentioning before for fear of spoilers: The way Tempering works is that the Tempered take on attributes of the Primal that claimed them. Tempering is never subtle because Primals aren't subtle, but not all tempering produces the same traits.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I'm surprised you didn't mention that She's raking the floor.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Silegna posted:

I'm surprised you didn't mention that She's raking the floor.

In my defence. It was 4am and I've slept very little during Stormblood week. It probably looked normal to me at the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
She couldn't find the broom, OK?! Get off her back.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

CrashScreen posted:

In my defence. It was 4am and I've slept very little during Stormblood week. It probably looked normal to me at the time.

Nah, it's fine. I didn't notice till my second MSQ run.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

yeah it's odd in hindsight, and probably a writers flub. I can only provide conjecture here, but if I had to come up with a reason to justify it I'd say Lahabrea's been stalking the main character for a while and headed them off in Toto-Rak to test them personally.

Also going back to the discussion about Primal Tempering, Papalymo's now mentioned something out loud I was a bit cagey about mentioning before for fear of spoilers: The way Tempering works is that the Tempered take on attributes of the Primal that claimed them. Tempering is never subtle because Primals aren't subtle, but not all tempering produces the same traits.

Yeah, Lahabrea is exactly the type of hammy villain who keeps sending minor nuisances of increasingly greater strength at you rather than actually just annihilating you like he is fully capable of at any point along the way.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: Toto-Rak chat, I've been playing again thanks to Stormblood and I just got it in leveling roulette for my Astrologian. Man, even with that timely LP summary and discussion I sure did not remember exactly how crappy that place is. Just a long no fun zone for everyone involved.

Fortunately I think the dungeons do take a step up from here on out. There are still a few clunkers to come in the mix but even the worst ones are a big step up from that utter nadir.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Well, this is kind of magical, I just read this thread, and it stopped exactly where I just reached in the trial for the game!

I have to agree with you, Toto-Rak just felt like a slog to me. It was boring visually, the first two bosses are literally the exact same (boring) thing. As a healer, I was pretty much asleep until I started hitting all my buttons on Graffias' last phase. The story quests are dragging a bit, so I'm hoping the next Primal is soon.

Aside from those minor complaints, though, I'm loving the game, and the amount of care you've clearly put into this LP really helps show off a lot of the stuff that I think makes it so special in my time playing. Fantastic work so far.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, Lahabrea is exactly the type of hammy villain who keeps sending minor nuisances of increasingly greater strength at you rather than actually just annihilating you like he is fully capable of at any point along the way.

To be fair to him, FF villains in general seem to like this approach. It must be in their school courses.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

krisslanza posted:

To be fair to him, FF villains in general seem to like this approach. It must be in their school courses.

They also have a tendency to have a reason to keep you alive for their plans that invariably blows up in their face when you turn out to get far more powerful than they actually expect.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's been a while! As it turns out, the new Stormblood expansion is very good so I've been playing that. This took longer than I wanted it to, though. It seems like the servers are struggling with the new load of players, and queuing up to login can be pretty long! I've not really had a great chance to record as Aggro until now. Anyway, this is going to be a short update. Why? Because, we're going to discuss...

Stormblood Changes

The game is now in a whole new version (4.01, as it's been patched again since Stormblood was released). There's lots of new junk, but only a handful of it is actually relevant at this point. I'll point out any changes like I did with 1.0.

The first major change that I love is a silly one to be enamored with, but look at this region map! Isn't it great? Before, it was just squares with an image of that area dotted around.

The lit up areas are places we've been in Thanalan. I'm sure I don't need to tell you what's Western, Central, and Eastern Thanalan. The region map now features some useful stuff the individual zone maps did: we can click on the aetherytes for a teleport prompt and view active/selected quests. The next Main Scenario Quest is over in the Waking Sands. I don't think I need to point out where that is on the map.

Something else that's changed should be immediately apparent.

There should be no longer any getting lost for new players, and current players will be notified right away when new MSQ have been added. Clicking the new UI element will open up the map to show where the quest is, which is actually what I did for the screenshot of the new region map. By default, this will stay up even when there are no remaining MSQs. You can adjust it in the Character Config -> UI Elements menu so that it disappears when the MSQ is finished.

Only slightly noticeable is the hotbar, where Aggro has some new actions! Remember that cross-class system I mentioned in the last update? It's gone!

Instead of cross-class, we now have a new Role menu. Aggro will now learn Gladiator actions and Tank actions, with the latter found in this menu. She can only currently select five of them, which is fine because she's only unlocked five. There's a reason those locks exist but we'll get to that later.

Keen-eyed readers might have noticed that the Gladiator actions Rampart, Provoke, and Convalescence are now in the Role area. They've been stripped from Gladiator to be shared with the other tank classes, which is fine really since Aggro still learns them anyway. She actually now has access to two stuns with the new Low Blow ability at level 12. It doesn't actually do any damage though, and it's on a cooldown of 25s. Still, it's an off-cooldown so she'll be able to use it between weaponskills.

Anticipation is the only other new action available at the moment, and it buffs Aggro's Parry rate by 30%, with a 60s cooldown. It's not too bad, though it's pretty passive. Speaking of parry...

... do you notice anything missing in the character stat sheet? The Parry stat has been removed completely, since it was junk, leaving a flat rate for successful parries. Instead, any gear that offered Parry now provides the new tank stat: Tenacity. Tenacity increases damage dealt and reduces damage received. It's pretty okay! This stat will probably be unaccounted for in any non-Stormblood content, so expect things to be marginally easier.

Other changes here include no bonus attributes anymore, Piety no longer counting as an Attribute, and the removal of the Accuracy stat (Accuracy now depends on the level difference between you and the enemy). Accuracy has instead been replaced by Direct Hit Rate. This one only increases the rate at which a direct hit occurs, but they're kind of neat. Direct Hits increase damage, but it's less than a Critical Hit. What's cool is that you can get a Critical Hit and a Direct Hit at the same time (displayed by the damage value and two exclamation marks). Since Accuracy became meaningless once it was worth a 100% hit rate, this change is super positive for gearing. Right now, Direct Hit is already looking to be the most significant secondary stat, though I expect Critical Hit to overtake it when equipment values increase in Stormblood.

And while we're speaking about stat changes, hovering over Strength and Vitality will reveal something: Vitality no longer contributes to damage dealt again. That change lasted all of about a year. From this point on, Attack Power now exactly equals Strength for tanks again, so know that accessories will contribute less to damage. Overall, DPS output should be a little higher since it's a 1:1 conversion between the Attribute and Attack Power, and new damage stats help too. Still, there was actually a small nerf to tank DPS that's relevant much, much later, like, Stormblood later.

Stepping outside just briefly enough to show off the Original Fat Chocobo mount from a recent promotion, there's actually been a change to mounts as well.

There's now three modes of mount speed: no star, 1 star, and 2 stars. The original speed is the default value, while the first star speed boost can be obtained by clearing certain MSQs. Some areas allow a second star, which can only be obtained through hunting. That comes around level 50, so we can forget about that for now.

From here, I'm going to be a little bit lazier and share some junk from the patch notes. I didn't have as much time to record as I'd like, but all that's left for now is the really small Quality of Life stuff.

Cool Thing #1: Debuffs that can be cleansed now have a blue bar above them so that everyone knows they can be cleansed. Great!

Cool Thing #2: The enemy list now has cast bars! This is particularly great if you're a tank and have to watch for anything specific, since there's enemy attacks that are easy to miss if they're not currently your target.

Cool Thing #3: More inventory and armory chest space!

And that's it mostly. Like I mentioned, a lot has been changed. I've only covered what's relevant at Aggro's level, but I've probably missed some junk. The classes have been changed a lot, and it's way too much to cover in a single LP post. Fortunately, Square-Enix posted a pretty thorough guide on every class change on the lodestone, so you can take a look there. There'll be super, super mild spoilers about a class-related mechanic we'll be hitting soon, but it's not even really worth calling a spoiler.

Also, there's something about a new aethernet node at the Ul'dah market place or something. Now if you'll excuse me, I have 48 posts to check and see if I need to update them.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 6, 2017

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So wait, the new Anticipation ability increases Parry by 30%, but Parry has been removed?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The Parry stat is gone, so there's a flat rate for a successful parry now instead. I should probably mention that in the update.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
For any who is curious or on the fence about trying Final Fantasy 14, now is the BEST time to give it a shot! The game is so much more user-friendly and what Crash showed is only a small percentage of the quality of life changes that were made. You do not have to have purchased Stormblood to get access to these changes, they exist for everyone!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

ReturnOfFable posted:

For any who is curious or on the fence about trying Final Fantasy 14, now is the BEST time to give it a shot! The game is so much more user-friendly and what Crash showed is only a small percentage of the quality of life changes that were made. You do not have to have purchased Stormblood to get access to these changes, they exist for everyone!

Also as a random addition, the new Stormblood classes - Red Mage and Samurai - are actually accessible without finishing Heavensward or even starting Stormblood's story.
You do need the expansion and a class at level 50 already, but you won't have to worry about MSQ progress.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

krisslanza posted:

Also as a random addition, the new Stormblood classes - Red Mage and Samurai - are actually accessible without finishing Heavensward or even starting Stormblood's story.
You do need the expansion and a class at level 50 already, but you won't have to worry about MSQ progress.

You don't even have to finish all the patch 2.x stuff, just the final quest of the base 2.0 storyline, and they start at 50 so you can use the 2.x stuff to immediately start gearing them up if you choose.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

You don't even have to finish all the patch 2.x stuff, just the final quest of the base 2.0 storyline, and they start at 50 so you can use the 2.x stuff to immediately start gearing them up if you choose.

You don't even have to have done the storyline at all. All you need to do is reach level 50 with any combat class.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Adding to that, even hitting 50 isn't even that hard while the road to 60 campaign is up. I've got a friend who joined on the Omega server when some of us transferred there and he reached Toto-Rak at nearly level 40. I don't have the list of worlds the campaign is active on handy though. New players could probably unlock Samurai or Red Mage before the midway point in the story if they really wanted to.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

kaosdrachen posted:

You don't even have to have done the storyline at all. All you need to do is reach level 50 with any combat class.

Huh, the wiki is wrong then. It says it requires Level 50 in any class and completion of [Final Main Story Quest of 2.0] are the requirements.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Those are Good Changes. Now they just need to make the elemental resistances not useless!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SSNeoman posted:

Those are Good Changes. Now they just need to make the elemental resistances not useless!

That's a strange way to say 'remove elemental resistances and associated useless materia'.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Eopia posted:

That's a strange way to say 'remove elemental resistances and associated useless materia'.

I mean, there's technically a use for elemental resistances. If you were insane enough and managed to boost an elemental resistance to a high enough level, you can completely nullify an elemental attack! Sometimes. If you're facing a weak enough enemy.

...Yeah, it's not very useful :eng99:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Weren't there tests on elemental resistance early into ARR? I'm sure they discovered that hitting the maximum possible cap for it only reduced damage by ~2% for that one specific element, or something like that. Honestly, I don't really see a need for it on the player-end. It's just a really impractical stat, and it'd only have really mattered on tanks who now have Tenacity. I'm pretty sure the stats only even exist just for mechanics that reduce your resistances, and they could just treat it as a flat rate for that element instead.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I wasn't sure exactly what to expect with the speed boost, but it's great. Super noticeable.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Elemental resistance seems like it's only ever relevant in the handful of boss fights where the boss can hit you with a resistance down debuff.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Elemental resistance and things such as potions of elemental resistance where a thing in 1.0. This meant that when they ported everyone's characters to 2.0, they had to have the same items, so they had to keep elemental resistance. It's clear they didn't want characters to care about elemental resistance, so they made it not matter.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

Huh, the wiki is wrong then. It says it requires Level 50 in any class and completion of [Final Main Story Quest of 2.0] are the requirements.

It is. I'm currently alting a Samurai through the ARR main story quest, last seen trying to make friends with the Sylps. Haven't even done Toto-Rak yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kaosdrachen posted:

It is. I'm currently alting a Samurai through the ARR main story quest, last seen trying to make friends with the Sylps. Haven't even done Toto-Rak yet.

... How did you get to level 50 without doing Toto-Rak in the first place? :psyduck:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

... How did you get to level 50 without doing Toto-Rak in the first place? :psyduck:

Palace of the Dead grinding?

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

krisslanza posted:

That or buying a Jump Potion for some other class in order to check the level reqs.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

krisslanza posted:

Sgt Thud posted:

That or buying a Jump Potion for some other class in order to check the level reqs.

Both, actually - I'd gotten to 35 or so when the potions came out, then decided that my time was worth more to me than my money and spent some of the latter to jump a class I'd already 60'd on my main. Money well spent.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Elemental resistance and things such as potions of elemental resistance where a thing in 1.0. This meant that when they ported everyone's characters to 2.0, they had to have the same items, so they had to keep elemental resistance. It's clear they didn't want characters to care about elemental resistance, so they made it not matter.

Elemental Resistance is very clearly a legacy mechanic that they may well have been thinking about using at the point they started developing 2.0 but clearly decided was more trouble than it was worth to actually expect people to gear for by the time they got to designing 2.0's endgame content. So now it's basically just a thing for specific enemies to buff/debuff as part of their gimmick attacks.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I wanted to post just to say that I haven't forgotten about this. A lot's been going on, but I've already got an update that's nearly finished. It should be up sometime over the next couple of days. Sorry about the inactivity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think I commented on this thread once before, Crash, but I'm going to be following for sure now that I've gotten the game. I've been playing Thaumaturge and it's pretty fun, though the quests are starting to get a little repetitive for me. Any recommendations on anything I can do to break the monotony?

Regardless, I look forward to seeing your continued exploits. :)