Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Macho Man can leap into the digital realm so yes he can bring you out of it. Your virtual self is a new mob that you control until logout or death. You could kill your old self but that'd be bad. Your VR self instantly vanishes when killed and you snap back to your body.

Changelings and vampires probably don't have their powers in VR. Wizards I have no clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Nakar posted:

Macho Man can leap into the digital realm so yes he can bring you out of it. Your VR self instantly vanishes when killed and you snap back to your body.

I was a bit uncertain about macho man leaping to VR-land because it's on the same z-level as the adventure zone and that will get you gibbed.

quote:

Your VR self instantly vanishes when killed and you snap back to your body.

there was a bug I found when we were testing the VR pod gauntlet where I got blown up in VR and the damage got applied to my normal character inside the VR sleeper.

so basically like that guy that got killed in the first matrix movie when they ran hexedit on the escape house to trap them

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

lambskin posted:

;help security the clown is griffing me

There used to be a monkey with the name "help im turn into a monkie" or something like that, anyone have a list of all the monkey names?

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

There used to be a monkey with the name "help im turn into a monkie" or something like that, anyone have a list of all the monkey names?

I fondly remember some guy getting senselessly irate over being pushed down, injected with stable mutagen and turned into Jimmy Shits for the rest of the round.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
There was a time when pushing someone down and farting on them was a guaranteed way to send them into a murderous rage. Now it's more or less a form of greeting on goonstation.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I physically cannot interact with someone unless I've farted in their face.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spy_Guy posted:

I fondly remember some guy getting senselessly irate over being pushed down, injected with stable mutagen and turned into Jimmy Shits for the rest of the round.

I think my favorite part of this is that your name is part of your genetic code.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Mors Rattus posted:

I think my favorite part of this is that your name is part of your genetic code.

All sorts of stupid poo poo is in the genetics code, man. I've seen things.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Daeren posted:

All sorts of stupid poo poo is in the genetics code, man. I've seen things.

I'm just saying, if I understood genetics more I would totally do a traitor gimmick entirely based around injecting people with namechanges.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There's nothing to understand. Draw some blood, mix with stable mutagen, serve. :science:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm just saying, if I understood genetics more I would totally do a traitor gimmick entirely based around injecting people with namechanges.
Wait you can turn people into other people?!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jimmy Shits laughs! His breath smells like a fart.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

TheDK posted:

Wait you can turn people into other people?!

It's not even a genetics thing. Stable mutagen and blood in an injection can confer the blood donor's appearance, and higher doses can change their name permanently.

I did this once as Iggy Azalea, by flashing people and applying mutagen patches. I converted like a dozen people until they formed a mob of Azaleas and lynched me, their original.

I also used this gimmick to convince a crew that I, a simple traitor, was a dangerous changeling. Stable mutagen and identity theft are honestly my favorite parts of this game.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mors Rattus posted:

Well that's nature or nurture solved.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malpais Legate posted:

It's not even a genetics thing. Stable mutagen and blood in an injection can confer the blood donor's appearance, and higher doses can change their name permanently.

I did this once as Iggy Azalea, by flashing people and applying mutagen patches. I converted like a dozen people until they formed a mob of Azaleas and lynched me, their original.

I also used this gimmick to convince a crew that I, a simple traitor, was a dangerous changeling. Stable mutagen and identity theft are honestly my favorite parts of this game.

You should try this again, but instead join the lynch mob and convince them that one of the people you converted is actually the original.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Unfortunately it was very obvious who I was because I kept my ID and everyone I converted wasn't a Scientist. But maybe I will, it's been a while since I've caused harmless havoc.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Anticheese posted:

There's nothing to understand. Draw some blood, mix with stable mutagen, serve. :science:

No, see, I want to be able to give them my own custom names, not someone else's name.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

I did it once as Captain with a cake bearing my name. Unfortunately one of the people I forcefed it to was a traitor and another was a changeling and oh boy that didn't end well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You should try this again, but instead join the lynch mob and convince them that one of the people you converted is actually the original.

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, get some stable mutagen and turn yourself into another player. Then rob them of their ID stuff and spend the round convincing people you're the real one.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mors Rattus posted:

No, see, I want to be able to give them my own custom names, not someone else's name.

Not an option with the current tools, sorry.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, get some stable mutagen and turn yourself into another player. Then rob them of their ID stuff and spend the round convincing people you're the real one.

I swear I've seen this as a delinquent objective before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I swear I've seen this as a delinquent objective before.

It is indeed a Miscreant objective.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have to be careful and a good observer of people (when dead or etc.) to pull that off though. More noteworthy names on a server tend to have predictable personalities and such so you can't behave too out of character.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of my favorite rounds of all time was as a geneticist who had the gimmick of offering free cloner scans as death insurance to heads, then surreptitiously taking their identity info instead (the cloner used to be able to do this).

I managed to get the captain's spare ID and uniform, then assumed his identity and appearance. He put a hit out on me (the HoS was instructed to kill me on sight) and I got cuffed by Beepsky, but narrowly escaped into a compactor chute.

Once the heat had died down, I uncuffed myself and found the RD's dead body. I put on the RD's uniform, ID, and a gas mask. Then I mixed up some thermite and cryostylene and headed to the bridge.

I found the Captain standing at the table. He thought I was the RD, so he didn't raise the alarm. Once I was close enough I turned him into a Capsicle, then thermited the wall and pushed him into deep space.

I had just finished switching back into my Captain uniform as the HoS (who had been hunting me the whole round) walked in. He was none the wiser, and I finished the round and escaped on the shuttle as the Captain.

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard in a game as I did when I pushed that loving ice cube out into space.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I seem to have issues with the byond client where I can't easily switch between typing chat and moving about the station; like using arrow movement and getting around then going to type "say blah blah" but my stuff wont enter in the bar unless i manually click in the field. Am I missing something? It wasn't like this when I played before.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Nakar posted:

You have to be careful and a good observer of people (when dead or etc.) to pull that off though. More noteworthy names on a server tend to have predictable personalities and such so you can't behave too out of character.

there's a story back on the old ss13 thread (and I'm fairly sure it's on the goonstation forums as well) where some traitor stole the QM's form and was accusing the other guy of being a traitor. Someone in sec immediately clued on, and long story short amputated limbs bear the name of the original player :aaa:

they come with a free Barnaby Joyce? sign me up!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Banana Man posted:

I seem to have issues with the byond client where I can't easily switch between typing chat and moving about the station; like using arrow movement and getting around then going to type "say blah blah" but my stuff wont enter in the bar unless i manually click in the field. Am I missing something? It wasn't like this when I played before.

Hitting tab will allow you to use WSAD instead of the arrow keys. You can then hit T to bring up a text box. Don't even have to type "say" to talk, either.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Just had my first Spy-Thief round the other day. It is a Good ModeTM.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
THe best thing is when one of the objects the spy_thief list wants is someone's severed limb!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

THe best thing is when one of the objects the spy_thief list wants is someone's severed limb!

As a spy thief I once went to surgery to chop my own arm off and turn it in. Unfortunately I wound up having to preform adhock surgery on someone who'd been assaulted by a monkey with a staple gun. By the time I'd started to figure out how to remove my arm another spy found me and tried to feed me into the enzyme reclaimer. Basically yes, spy rounds are fun

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I think I'm done with Colonial Marines. The player base is largely insufferable edgelords yelling racist poo poo constant with admins being psychotic shitheads that suck the fun out of any and all things.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I played it and I found it ultra ultra tedious compared to regular ss13

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Hitting tab will allow you to use WSAD instead of the arrow keys. You can then hit T to bring up a text box. Don't even have to type "say" to talk, either.

Thanks!

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Colonial Marines and the WW2 server are currently the most popular servers which probably tells you all you need to know about the wider SS13 community in general.

(I have not played the latter myself but if it's anything other than 'ironic' nazis and unironic nazis competing to out-nazi each other I'll eat my hat.)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The owner of the CM and WW2 servers are apparently having some kind of stupid slapfight at the moment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

The owner of the CM and WW2 servers are apparently having some kind of stupid slapfight at the moment.

This doesn't surprise me in the least.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

CM is actually pretty good when you play as a doctor or a medic and have the power of life or death over these dumb nerds. Combat medic is my favorite - especially when you get your hands on a bonesaw and get to start hacking limbs off ridiculous snowflake characters without painkillers and have a completely valid excuse. Also, as a doctor I've learned to never go without anesthetic auto-injectors to deal with excessively limb-fond marines and inquisitive MPs.

Basically you gotta find the fun.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I tried CM once and was promptly chastised for not wearing the correct helmet and disconnected with the quickness.

I don't know the controls much less the appropriate headwear so... no thanks.

I watch blackpantslegion's videos from time to time but the CM ones never hold me for very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Watching what is essentially a Battlefield 2 game unfold in the BYOND engine is simultaneously fascinating and horrifying. It's worth playing a full match imo even with the laughable community.