Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

basic hitler posted:

Actually I enjoy it quite a bit, but this episode was loving nothing like anything in the show or fire walk with me. sorry I'm not ~*on your level*~ or w/e :shepface:
Ah yes, the episode which shows woodsmen and the convenience store is nothing like FWWM or the show which also show/talk about woodsmen and the convenience store, how silly of me.

Obviously there's some stuff we've never seen before because it's never been in the show before, like the frogroach, but come on dude. Do you honestly think this has nothing to do with the rest of what's been going on? Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I guess I will be in the minority here that didn't like the episode. Some of the visuals and sound design was pretty cool, but I feel like Lynch and Frost are pulling a Prometheus here and lore dumping stuff black lodge origin stuff that I don't think needed to be explained. I thought the NIN performance was completely pointless also.

I know Lynch is putting this forward as an 18-hour film, but it is being presented as a weekly television show, and I think that is really hurting the pacing of everything and is getting pretty frustrating for me personally. I might just cancel Showtime and watch the whole thing on Bluray when it's out, because I think that would help my enjoyment of the show a lot more.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Make sure to tape your mouth shut so no frogroaches crawl in! :haw:

I was terrified of ever sleeping again BEFORE I saw that scene. After it I was terrified of not being in a state of hyper-lucidity 24/7!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I guess I will be in the minority here that didn't like the episode. Some of the visuals and sound design was pretty cool, but I feel like Lynch and Frost are pulling a Prometheus here and lore dumping stuff black lodge origin stuff that I don't think needed to be explained. I thought the NIN performance was completely pointless also.

I know Lynch is putting this forward as an 18-hour film, but it is being presented as a weekly television show, and I think that is really hurting the pacing of everything and is getting pretty frustrating for me personally. I might just cancel Showtime and watch the whole thing on Bluray when it's out, because I think that would help my enjoyment of the show a lot more.

Rowdy and riled up posters, please don't shoot me for this bad opinion:

We'll see where they go with it, but the idea of Laura Palmer's soul retroactively turning out to be some kind of fated chosen one is kinda bad and worryingly star-wars-prequel-esque

I adored the episode and show and season otherwise, I hope I won't be killed :(

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
It's a correct opinion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

No Mods No Masters posted:

We'll see where they go with it, but the idea of Laura Palmer's soul being some kind of fated chosen one is kinda bad and worryingly star-wars-prequel-esque

I guess I agree with this actually. But a large part of me wonders if we'll ever go back to any of this

Thread is gonna go insane over the next two weeks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

We'll see where they go with it, but the idea of Laura Palmer's soul retroactively turning out to be some kind of fated chosen one is kinda bad and worryingly star-wars-prequel-esque

Well we already know she was raped by her dad, prostituting herself and addicted to cocaine, so it's not like her being the chosen one made her life easy or anything.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

I was terrified of ever sleeping again BEFORE I saw that scene. After it I was terrified of not being in a state of hyper-lucidity 24/7!

Frogbug didn't bother be all that much, somehow. The White Lodge, though, I'm fairly sure I've had nightmares about this place before.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Eh, I kinda agree, it's the one part of the episode I found to be a bit hokey. But they sure did reveal it in a hell of a non-standard way, at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This in particular really hosed with me, I've dreamed of a place/feeling like this before and it was horrifying. Though if I'd known there was a nice, smiling fat lady inside and a friendly giant maybe I'd have felt better..... :shobon:

Which reminds me, I love that in 2017 we had somebody post in this thread their relief at seeing Twin Peak's giant, because NOW things would start making sense!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
However we know that time in the lodges is not liner so that could have been her soul being free as seen in the end of fire walk with me

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well we already know she was raped by her dad, prostituting herself and addicted to cocaine, so it's not like her being the chosen one made her life easy or anything.
This is also on top of all of the other poo poo in her insane schedule too before she dies.

Like she must have been living 30 hour days.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
watching the Frogbug scene again

it chirps at her to open her mouth. It has a beak what like hummingbirds have.

Why does that feel even more unnerving?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

basic hitler posted:

and all of you stop pretending this poo poo is obvious because it isn't. It's abstract artsy fartsy poo poo that's begging you to read into it whatever you want and nothing that's aired for the entirety of season 3 has given any credence to these suggestions that I can tell.

i dunno, it all seemed kinda obvious to me especially with the majority of posters here all saying the exact same things i was thinking while watching the show. like as far as surreal abstract w/e art goes, this was relatively straightforward. the only thing I've seen anyone post that i don't agree with was the whole sarah palmer thing, i really do not think that girl was sarah palmer, otherwise yeah i think everyone's analysis has been spot-on. i think if you kinda threw your hands up at the beginning and said "jfc what the gently caress is this poo poo, it's ridiculous artsy fartsy bullshit" and just angrily watched the rest of it in frustration, it might have been easy to miss some stuff and not really follow things, but if you watched it with a more open mind or some eagerness i think it would have been very easy to follow. i don't mean to sound like i'm talking down to you at all but i really do think the weird imagery was surprisingly straightforward and even hard to miss

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like not to try and sound "above" you, basic hitler, but I really did find all these connections extremely obvious while watching the episode. Of course a lot of that comes with being a super nerd who's reading up on this stuff constantly in between episodes, but it still feels ridiculous to claim it's totally contextless and random.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Considering the events of this episode, could it be possible that the green stone set in the ring is Trinitite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitite

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Took long enough but oh god I finally got around to watching it.
Ain't no party like a Ghost Hobo Dance Party because a Ghost Hobo Dance Party leads to the Nine Inch Nails followed by lots of drugs and accidentally flipping on Fantasia.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gatekeeper posted:

i dunno, it all seemed kinda obvious to me especially with the majority of posters here all saying the exact same things i was thinking while watching the show. like as far as surreal abstract w/e art goes, this was relatively straightforward. the only thing I've seen anyone post that i don't agree with was the whole sarah palmer thing, i really do not think that girl was sarah palmer, otherwise yeah i think everyone's analysis has been spot-on. i think if you kinda threw your hands up at the beginning and said "jfc what the gently caress is this poo poo, it's ridiculous artsy fartsy bullshit" and just angrily watched the rest of it in frustration, it might have been easy to miss some stuff and not really follow things, but if you watched it with a more open mind or some eagerness i think it would have been very easy to follow. i don't mean to sound like i'm talking down to you at all but i really do think the weird imagery was surprisingly straightforward and even hard to miss

Agreed that the storyline was fairly straightforward. Lynch gets called a surrealist but honestly most of his stories are fairly logical and even simple in plot ("a girl in trouble" is how he describes many of his films), just told in a non-expository, somewhat surrealist manner.

I mean, Un Chien Andalou, that's some surrealism for real. Next on the spectrum would be something like The Holy Mountain, then maybe The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie. Lynch's surrealism is on a par with, say, Pan's Labyrinth.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I think I understand why Lynch insisted it air weekly now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pyrotek posted:

I think I understand why Lynch insisted it air weekly now.
Y'all ready for 2 weeks of having to sit on this episode? :gbsmith:

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Amazing stuff. Some thoughts

- Mother definitely looks like Bdonger's playing card that he "wants"
- Mother's arms definitely "bend back"
- The record player had stopped when the Giant says "Listen to the sounds" in episode one. This episode shows there's always music in the air in the Giants house.
- Maybe Laura hosed up her ending in FWWM as much as Coop did in the original series by not getting possessed by BOB so he could be captured and neutered or killed.
- I have a cigarette lighter with me at all times so I think I'm pretty much safe from any Woodsmen
- She eated it. Ewwww. I hope she's ok.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Nuclear bombs are full of free jazz. The USA tested a 10 kiloZorn device in New Mexico. These frightful weapons also contain stop-motion convenience stores and astral egg-barf.

also,

Grocer Goodwill posted:

TRENT REZNOR DO NOT READ THIS

Tambourine lady.... hello.

moller fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 26, 2017

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I thought this episode was very straightforward. Being able to come to alot of the same conclusions as people here did, the first time through, makes me feel a nice sense of community that I don't actually get from gabbing about television most of the time. It also makes it seem like someone referring to the same presentation as "artsy fartsy' didn't have enough interest to really participate, (also makes it sound like either an 80 year old is speaking or else someone whose speech skills formed watching the McCarthy hearings).

Lynch has been waiting 25 years for his artsy fartsy and I''m so glad it's too late for anything to be changed. Reminds me of when my cousin mentioned leading up to the new season how he really liked Twin Peaks when it wasn't "up its rear end like FWWM" regarding the themes of the Palmer storyline. Funny enough the same conversation included him saying that he really "didn't get chicks". Hmmm. Television is generally a passive experience, which I think sets people up for sort of demanding interpretations from those who liked it as a way of forcing someone else to validate their interests. I can remember LOST discussion threads where the chain was basically I DONT GET IT ----> EXPLAIN IT TO ME ------> THAT'S STUPID "Explain to me why that lovely, AWFUL thing you are doing, makes you feel anything GOOD!"

When really it's like: don't go to the coffee shop if you dont like coffee. People who like coffee will be there.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm sure this has been noted like 50 times, but holy poo poo NIN into Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima was unexpected and amazing.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
got a light?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nine Inch Nails revived Booper

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I'm hoping that it isn't literal and it's instead using two symbols that are recognizable to viewers of the show. And even if it is literal, there's already a weird sense of scale at work where a man who is supposed to be the embodiment of cosmic evil from another plane of existence is just a middle-tier criminal in a spray tan who engages is drugs and murder.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BadCoop looks bummed out

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Boo hoo I watched something surreal for like an hour, time I could have spent watching anime

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

After all the negotiations between Lynch and Showtime and all the on-again-off-again rumors about budget and runtime and creative control and Showtime finally giving in to all of Lynch's demands, I would fuckin love to know what it was like in the room when he said OH YEAH BY THE WAY IN EPISODE EIGHT WE'RE GONNA HIRE NINE INCH NAILS. FOR A SCENE LINK

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

basic hitler posted:

how are you reading this into a bunch of shots without context or dialogue?

You just said the same thing basically. So help me out here, how does this depict the creation of a lodge? I want both of your takes on this, whatever it is.

You are like the most miserable person to have a conversation with about anything!! I remember you used to have brief moments of lucidity between the violent unending spam you used to produce in GBS so somewhere in that brain of yours is the ability to be a cool guy to talk to so please help me out here. I know you like twin peaks and Sorry for being rude at you but buddy come on. I've thoroughly enjoyed this show until now and this crap episode was Obtuse as gently caress even by lynch standards. Please help me out buddy. Maybe join the other guys here and help me connect some dots to this weird dream-like footage with next to no connection to anything that's happened so far. Maybe you can make the exact same claim and help me. You can call me a pleb while you do it just make this masturbatory nonsense make sense for me, because to me it's almost an homage to the Toonami-era animes of days past where the people maknig the show would depict goku summoning the energy for a spirit bomb by grunting and groaning and hoding his hands over his head for several weeks worth of episodes.

and all of you stop pretending this poo poo is obvious because it isn't. It's abstract artsy fartsy poo poo that's begging you to read into it whatever you want and nothing that's aired for the entirety of season 3 has given any credence to these suggestions that I can tell.

Shut up bitch

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
hmmmm the gbs poster is....bad??

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
tricked you fucker

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:hordes of dark bums come out and ravage your corpse:

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Data Graham posted:

After all the negotiations between Lynch and Showtime and all the on-again-off-again rumors about budget and runtime and creative control and Showtime finally giving in to all of Lynch's demands, I would fuckin love to know what it was like in the room when he said OH YEAH BY THE WAY IN EPISODE EIGHT WE'RE GONNA HIRE NINE INCH NAILS. FOR A SCENE LINK

I'd like to think he just said "fine, I won't direct, I'm sure whichever guy you get will be great, especially if they've got a couple of episodes of NCIS under their belt. Now just promise me they'll do a good job of the bit where mother extends her infinite birth tube towards the inside of the nuclear explosion"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

That's the issue you use to trap the executives in a room for seven hours until they finally relent and give you Nine Inch Nails, and then you show them the rest of the episode 8 script.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
What an episode. I'm certain I missed a whole bunch of little things so I'm sure I'll be watching it dozens more times in the coming weeks. I did come to the same conclusions as most in this thread, however I don't think the girl at the end is Sarah Palmer either, it just doesn't seem to line up.

I also definitely missed Bob being shown coming out of shot Bad Cooper, but his face was definitely in a blob while the woodsmen were smearing blood on him. I assume him sitting back up was Bob successful re-entering him?

Modrasone posted:

I'd like to think he just said "fine, I won't direct, I'm sure whichever guy you get will be great, especially if they've got a couple of episodes of NCIS under their belt. Now just promise me they'll do a good job of the bit where mother extends her infinite birth tube towards the inside of the nuclear explosion"
Ever read the pre-David Lynch script for the S2 finale? They make the Black Lodge seem like something from loving Looney Tunes, signs falling from the ceiling saying stuff like "Try again, sucker."

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Got a light?

MullardEL34 posted:

Considering the events of this episode, could it be possible that the green stone set in the ring is Trinitite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitite

Interesting idea but the book shows that the ring has existed since at least the 1800s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cromulent posted:

Ever read the pre-David Lynch script for the S2 finale? They make the Black Lodge seem like something from loving Looney Tunes, signs falling from the ceiling saying stuff like "Try again, sucker."
Wow, I never knew this existed:

http://www.lynchnet.com/tp/tp29.html

It's pretty loving dumb and has a bunch of that lame Windom Earle crap.