Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just took the nuke as the ultimate symbol of man's destruction. We split the atom and created a new level of chaos that it opened up/thinned the barrier between Us and The Other (White Lodge, Black Lodge, Mother, etc.).

Other acts in human history have probably done it before, but this being the most recent and biggest started the cycle we've been following (Laura, BOB, Dale, Twin Peaks, etc.).

Krinkle posted:

Why is everyone calling that thing mother? Am I thinking of the right thing? The naked white bird face that vomited up a stream of bob ejaculate?

The creature appeared in the glass box in the early episodes, and then Episode 3 has "American Girl" tell Cooper that the thing angrily banging against the metal door trying to get in, is "Mother". Popular fan theory is that they are one in the same. The most recent episode showed this creature, with a female form, giving birth (orally) to something (I thought it was, like, cosmic garmonbozia, but my friend said it didn't look like corn to her), which included a rock/orb with BOB's face in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Franchescanado posted:

(I thought it was, like, cosmic garmonbozia, but my friend said it didn't look like corn to her), which included a rock/orb with BOB's face in it.

garmonbozia isnt always corn, in the FWWM extended BOB threw a bunch of blood on the floor after he sucked it out of leland's tummy

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bob just gave leland a wicked violent raspberry

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Commerz posted:

average person eats 7 frogroaches a year" factoid actualy (sic) just statistical error. average person eats 0 frogroaches per year. Frogroaches Georg, who lives in cave & eats over 10,000 each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted

no everyone eats seven frogroaches a year. if your birthday is coming up and you haven't eaten any yet seven of them just show up and force their way in with their lil hummingbeaks

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I can't remember exactly when in the episode it happened, but, did anyone else see a goatse at some point? I think maybe it was when the giant exudes laura palmer's soul? The yellow formed like horizontal lines that looked like fingers, on either side of a hole. If it wasn't that it was in the sky somewhere at some point... Anyone else? Twin peaks: goatse edition?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what did i even watch

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

Was this all planned out 25 years ago?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That episode was wild as hell. I loved it

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

bobkatt013 posted:

To those who read the secret history do they talk about the testing of the a bomb at all?

Yes. Also Dougie Milford is in New Mexico on that date.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm a little confused as to why Laura is a chosen one, but I'll see where it goes. If it was Coop's face in the orb, I'd get it instantly.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Oh boy another insanely brutally problematic episode of Twin Peaks : The Return. A return to what? 1950's values? haha. So of course the female non-corporeal being from a place outside of time space and logic gets to sit passively listening to technology and it is up to her brutish husband to operate the machinery. Too much for a woman I guess. And then of course he's the one that levitates in the theatre to produce a gold angel baby, lest we forget conception is the sole right of men. And what do we get from the woman? Mewling and wonder at the amazing shiny thing her superior has created. Oh wow he must be such an amazing entity because he can climb some steps whereas I can't even get a desk by the window after working here for five years and only getting the occasional formal warning for screaming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lycus posted:

I'm a little confused as to why Laura is a chosen one, but I'll see where it goes. If it was Coop's face in the orb, I'd get it instantly.

Personally I've got two theories about it:

1. Laura was meant to contain the evil unleashed by the Black Lodge, but the plan failed because she was killed by BOB instead of being possessed.

2. Laura was created to attract BOB to where he would eventually cross paths with Cooper, with the end goal being BOB's defeat.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

redreader posted:

I can't remember exactly when in the episode it happened, but, did anyone else see a goatse at some point? I think maybe it was when the giant exudes laura palmer's soul? The yellow formed like horizontal lines that looked like fingers, on either side of a hole. If it wasn't that it was in the sky somewhere at some point... Anyone else? Twin peaks: goatse edition?

I must admit I had the same thought when watching, when the yellow stardust was coming out of the giant's head. It wasn't quite obvious enough to post about though. :v:

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Modrasone posted:

Oh boy another insanely brutally problematic episode of Twin Peaks : The Return. A return to what? 1950's values? haha. So of course the female non-corporeal being from a place outside of time space and logic gets to sit passively listening to technology and it is up to her brutish husband to operate the machinery. Too much for a woman I guess. And then of course he's the one that levitates in the theatre to produce a gold angel baby, lest we forget conception is the sole right of men. And what do we get from the woman? Mewling and wonder at the amazing shiny thing her superior has created. Oh wow he must be such an amazing entity because he can climb some steps whereas I can't even get a desk by the window after working here for five years and only getting the occasional formal warning for screaming.

shut up bitch

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Modrasone posted:

👏 CAST 👏 WOMEN 👏 AS 👏 BLACKFACE 👏 WOODSMEN 👏

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone else see a devil face in the smoke to the right of the nuke?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well given lynch is more free form and wants to take things wherever they go or how they unfold, I can imagine that he has a loose set of ideas he's working from and this was one of them.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

David Lynch really missed out on his calling making PC game backgrounds during the 90s point and click adventure game boom

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That is definitely exactly what the whole sequence in possibly the White Lodge reminded me of. It's the fixed camera angles, repetition of perspectives as characters move through, and, of course, characters doing stuff on weird objects that you have only a vague idea how it relates to anything.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Personally I've got two theories about it:

1. Laura was meant to contain the evil unleashed by the Black Lodge, but the plan failed because she was killed by BOB instead of being possessed.

2. Laura was created to attract BOB to where he would eventually cross paths with Cooper, with the end goal being BOB's defeat.

Or 3. Laura's story isn't done yet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pissdude posted:

shut up bitch

this is the one insane take that is actually joking

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

head58 posted:

Or 3. Laura's story isn't done yet.

I always got the impression that Laura was important in some unknown way just by how the original series treated her after her death is "solved". Literally showing her face still during the opening credits of the new series helps me think that too.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I always got the impression that Laura was important in some unknown way just by how the original series treated her after her death is "solved". Literally showing her face still during the opening credits of the new series helps me think that too.

The new series is called "The Return". They never explicitly said it was Cooper returning.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Leland did say "Find Laura" to Coop in ep.1.

illumn8d
Jul 24, 2002

If you've ever had someone grab your nutsack in a tussle then yank on it, you'll know why I greased the boys up.

No Mods No Masters posted:

We'll see where they go with it, but the idea of Laura Palmer's soul retroactively turning out to be some kind of fated chosen one is kinda bad and worryingly star-wars-prequel-esque

Have you not seen Fire Walk With Me? Where Laura is revealed to be the true hero? Laura Rules, Coop Drools.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I was wondering why the giant was credited as Tane in this episode but then I realized hes the original orb dad

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think David Lynch is basically full of poo poo about the transcendental meditation stuff and most of the deeper meanings we're supposed to get from this and just want to see Deputy Hawk reacting to weird crap again.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Under the vegetable posted:

Yes. Also Dougie Milford is in New Mexico on that date.

And it also talks a bit about Jack Parsons and the Babalon Working. Which I think implies BOB is the moonchild.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

No, but the show was always steeped in 50s aesthetics so nuclear horror and paranoia is just another step of that.

Frankly the white lodge(?) scenes looked more B-Movie to me than anything. In a great way.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

cptn_dr posted:

And it also talks a bit about Jack Parsons and the Babalon Working. Which I think implies BOB is the moonchild.

when did that whole thing go down again? i thought it was some time in the 60's, so maybe we'll get a timeskip to 50s girl with a frogbugbob in her as an older hip swingin sexy lady gettin plowed by l. ron hubbard until coincidentally frogbugbob is done gestating and bursts out of her, bringing a hitherto unknown evil to the world (scientology)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
got a light

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mover posted:

David Lynch really missed out on his calling making PC game backgrounds during the 90s point and click adventure game boom

My Lovely Horse posted:

That is definitely exactly what the whole sequence in possibly the White Lodge reminded me of. It's the fixed camera angles, repetition of perspectives as characters move through, and, of course, characters doing stuff on weird objects that you have only a vague idea how it relates to anything.

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this, the framing was absolutely perfect for it in some of the white lodge scenes with the bell and the woman.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 26, 2017

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't wait to hear what my mom thinks about this one. She loves the original series, hates the movie, has never seen anything besides Twin Peaks that Lynch has done, and has pushed through the first seven episodes despite them being "too weird." It's gonna be great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

My Lovely Horse posted:

yeah same

i

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

When you say 90s point and click adventure game do you mean like... monkey island? I don't get what you mean.

That huge copper bell with the dials on it looks like something out of flash gordon in the dang thirties.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I can't wait to hear what my mom thinks about this one. She loves the original series, hates the movie, has never seen anything besides Twin Peaks that Lynch has done, and has pushed through the first seven episodes despite them being "too weird." It's gonna be great.
lmao so she has absolutely no idea what the significance of the convenience store/the woodsmen is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground

Mover posted:

Lynchnet posted:

"Woodcutters From Fiery Ships"

David Lynch was to team with anime producer Bandai and two Japanese partners to produce a digital adventure to be released on DVD-ROM, the Internet, and in novelization form. The project was tentatively entitled "Woodcutters From Fiery Ships".

Unfortunately, the project never came about. Lynch says it was "blocked from the get-go." The game was going to be a "conundrum thing.. a beautiful kind of place to put yourself. You try to make a little bit of mystery and a bit of a story, but you want it to be able to bend back upon itself and get lost ... Ceratin events have happened in a bungalow which is behind another in Los Angeles. And then suddenly the woodcutters arrive and they take the man who we think has witnessed these events, and their ship is... uh, silver, like a 30`s kind of ship, and the fuel is logs. And they smoke pipes."

http://www.lynchnet.com/upfilms.html

what could have been...