Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I know the conventional wisdom is that Monk is pretty worthless except as an item slinger or as a secondary utility action command user (like !Mix or !Sing), but I guess conventional wisdom never bothered to give them a weapon? Having a Monk that equip whichever Whip or Axe is most appropriate to the situation has been pretty awesome. Highest strength, highest HP, innate counter, medium armor has a ton of great options, and they're a pretty reliable damage machine.

I mean, there are obviously better classes, but Monk has not been the albatross around my neck that I was worried it was going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

agradine posted:

I know the conventional wisdom is that Monk is pretty worthless except as an item slinger or as a secondary utility action command user (like !Mix or !Sing), but I guess conventional wisdom never bothered to give them a weapon? Having a Monk that equip whichever Whip or Axe is most appropriate to the situation has been pretty awesome. Highest strength, highest HP, innate counter, medium armor has a ton of great options, and they're a pretty reliable damage machine.

I mean, there are obviously better classes, but Monk has not been the albatross around my neck that I was worried it was going to be.

The issue is that a monk equipping an axe or a whip or whatever gives him a decent !fight command. But very few jobs want to just !fight, even among the physical ones. Each of them would love a force multiplier like !dance, !rapidfire etc etc. If you give Monk a weapon, they don't get to use those force multipliers at the same time.

edit: giving him Equip Swords makes him a Knight who can't two-hand or use shields. Giving him Equip Axes makes him a controllable Berserker who does less damage than a real Berserker, which is nice enough, I guess. But "lower damage than Berserker, and only able to !fight and !Item" is not exactly the benchmark we want to hit. Giving him !Equip Lances makes him a Dragoon who can't jump or use shields.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 26, 2017

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Exercu posted:

The issue is that a monk equipping an axe or a whip or whatever gives him a decent !fight command. But very few jobs want to just !fight, even among the physical ones. Each of them would love a force multiplier like !dance, !rapidfire etc etc. If you give Monk a weapon, they don't get to use those force multipliers at the same time.

edit: giving him Equip Swords makes him a Knight who can't two-hand or use shields. Giving him Equip Axes makes him a controllable Berserker who does less damage than a real Berserker, which is nice enough, I guess. But "lower damage than Berserker, and only able to !fight and !Item" is not exactly the benchmark we want to hit. Giving him !Equip Lances makes him a Dragoon who can't jump or use shields.

In seven years I'e never gotten a Ranger or Dancer (or Mystic Knight, for that matter) so I'm rather used to !Fight being my main source of physical damage. I also think that end-game Axes and Whips are more powerful than you're giving them credit for. Of course, my Monk is still my lowest damage dealer overall (she usually tops Beastmaster round-to-round on damage, but the Firaga procs powered by !Black6 put her over the top) but she's still topping 4-digits every attack easily. They're still probably one of the worst physical classes (and thus worst overall classes) but they're hardly the dead weight dumpster-fire I'd been led to believe they are.

If nothing else I'd take Monk with a decent equip ability over Dragoon any time.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I'm having a bit of trouble with neo exdeath, my team is dancer, knight, dragoon, time mage.
Is there anything obvious I should be doing?
Quick and meteo are always nice but I've got my dancer using Excalibur for those sweet 9999 procs.
Everyone is wearing flame rings for fire sword healing too.
I just can't seem to keep up when he kills several of my dudes!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

Like the other "bad" classes, Monks are only really bad when you get more than one of them. People say being an item slinger is a bad thing, but, honestly, you need one a lot of the time, and Monks are one of the best classes to do it because they have a billion hit points.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Dragoons have better armor choices and contribute significantly against Shinryu and NEDwith a Dragon Lance, and they can use the same Equip ability you are claiming makes your Monk not garbage.

Monks are good if you can raise level (Bard, Chemist) because fists scale incredibly well with level and have niche uses with Counter and Focus. Other than that, they are controllable and can use Item, putting them some pros over a Berserker. Berserker has much better gear options though.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Poulpe posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble with neo exdeath, my team is dancer, knight, dragoon, time mage.
Is there anything obvious I should be doing?
Quick and meteo are always nice but I've got my dancer using Excalibur for those sweet 9999 procs.
Everyone is wearing flame rings for fire sword healing too.
I just can't seem to keep up when he kills several of my dudes!

Are you making sure to kill the last two pieces at the same time? When one is left alive, it goes nuts on you, and no matter what your party is there's no way to keep up. So either kill the last two at the same time or leave the back part alive until the end and kill it with the Magic Lamp. Mega64's Boss Guide does a better job explaining than me.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Leofish posted:

I think Twitter considers Gilgabot spam so it won't show you the reply from your own account.

Thanks for that tidbit, next time I'll stick to checking on the site afterwards.

I know with Black Mage I can pretty much turn the whole party into nukers, but is there anything interesting I can do with Spellblade or Mystic Knight in general in a team of Berserker/Mystic Knight/Black Mage/Red Mage?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

CruzerZERO posted:

Thanks for that tidbit, next time I'll stick to checking on the site afterwards.

I know with Black Mage I can pretty much turn the whole party into nukers, but is there anything interesting I can do with Spellblade or Mystic Knight in general in a team of Berserker/Mystic Knight/Black Mage/Red Mage?

Mystic Knight is absurdly good at dealing with things with a status weakness he can hit. Do you have any cool things he can do in combination with the other jobs? Nah. Still, you don't have to worry about Almagest on Neo-Exdeath, and Red Mage has pretty low health, so that almost counts as synergy.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Not MK specific, but Old procs from the Ancient Sword works on a lot of bosses and neuter their damage output.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013

Another butt to the pile.
Three runs down, and each one has Bartz dead at the end.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

OzFactor posted:

Are you making sure to kill the last two pieces at the same time? When one is left alive, it goes nuts on you, and no matter what your party is there's no way to keep up. So either kill the last two at the same time or leave the back part alive until the end and kill it with the Magic Lamp. Mega64's Boss Guide does a better job explaining than me.

Thanks! It's not so bad when you hammer down the Algamest chunk asap, and save the last bit for magic lamp Odin to clean up.
All the same thank god for elixirs. Definitely couldn't have won without them.

Look Sharp! posted:

Another butt to the pile.
Three runs down, and each one has Bartz dead at the end.

Make that two! :toot:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kyrosiris posted:

Okay, so at level 25 both Galuf and Bartz with Equip Axes will have an M of 13 for Knives. The Main Gauche will hit for 468-507 damage, and the Mage Masher will hit for 403-442 damage, so if you roll max damage on either weapon (it's a 1/4 chance), you should be able to do the 800 damage needed to shank one launcher immediately. If you can tolerate uneven levels, leveling Galuf only to level 27 will get you an extra damage multiplier (Bartz to 27 won't because of his higher agility - you'll gain a M based on Strength, but lose one based on Agility, it's complex but just go with it).

Honestly I'd say to go back to the Ship Graveyard and farm elixirs in that room that has three treasure chests in it (every encounter can drop some). You should have the damage output, it's just getting to apply it.

Okay great! Thanks again for the help. At least having Berserk on everyone makes the battles pretty mindless. I may only get one run in this year, unless I get something a little better with #Krile. I've never done risk before so more than one zerk is a bit of a challenge.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Got my first triple crown! Got lucky on a Pure Chaos run with a Bard/Mystic/White/Red and was able to Berserk/Blink Shin and Love Song lockdown Omega. NED only got 2 turns in thanks to Speed/Level songs in phase 1. This team was pretty OP.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Good news! It looks like you can have two victories pending at the same time.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah I know, it's my first time. Grinding away.

Another questions, what effect does being revived have on your ATB? It seems I always get a free turn after I revive someone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

zenguitarman posted:

Yeah I know, it's my first time. Grinding away.

Another questions, what effect does being revived have on your ATB? It seems I always get a free turn after I revive someone.

TL, DR: Berserker ATB Is Weird, That Sometimes Happens.

I think Can of Worms could explain it better but the simplest explanation is that berserker ATB doesn't play by the standard rules.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 26, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh boy, Gilgabot's been kind to me this year. First Chemist, then Bard, then Ninja...what could I possibly pull for Earth?!

*gets Monk*

:crossarms:

Little late on that call, aren't ya?

I realize that in light of Chemist it's kind of moot what other jobs I get, but I find it hilarious I got Monk at the least useful place.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Genocyber posted:

Oh boy, Gilgabot's been kind to me this year. First Chemist, then Bard, then Ninja...what could I possibly pull for Earth?!

*gets Monk*

:crossarms:

Little late on that call, aren't ya?

I realize that in light of Chemist it's kind of moot what other jobs I get, but I find it hilarious I got Monk at the least useful place.

Nobody loves good food and song more than a Monk.

!Mix and !Song can boost the Monk's levels, and therefore unarmed damage, ridiculously high

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Chemist and Bard both work very well with Monk, since Monk barehanded damage is directly based on their level.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

jfc I did it it, once I got the Water and Earth Crystals out of the way I got the other two bouncing spells off of Basch into each other until I could calmly Sword Dance them away.

And rewarded with Fifth Job Chemist :toot:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
With a Regular and a Pure Chaos down, what should I try running next? Popular for a shot at a Chemist? My first run was basically a No750 (Knight/Mystic/Ninja/Dragoon) so maybe a 750?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fhqwhgads posted:

With a Regular and a Pure Chaos down, what should I try running next? Popular for a shot at a Chemist? My first run was basically a No750 (Knight/Mystic/Ninja/Dragoon) so maybe a 750?

That's what I did this year, personally, the 750/no750 back 'n forth. I think it's a good way to keep you varying up your playstyle between runs.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.
Well this went fairly smoothly after getting rid of two of my three berserkers:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

agradine posted:

Nobody loves good food and song more than a Monk.

!Mix and !Song can boost the Monk's levels, and therefore unarmed damage, ridiculously high

Oh neat, didn't know that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Also Monks high hp pool make him a really good chassis for !mix and the money saved on his weapons is more money for items.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

Chemist and Bard both work very well with Monk, since Monk barehanded damage is directly based on their level.

yeah on my first run i had those three classes (and berserker) and the monk ended up doing 90% of the damage against every late game boss

also don't give the monk mix (give everyone else mix), give the monk drink so it is MUCH cheaper and faster to buff them for fights. much better to get +20 levels for 110 gold than a dragon fang

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 27, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Give your ninja Barehand and watch him turn into Kenshiro

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

One more for the "a butt" pile.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

One more for the "a butt" pile.

The literal pile of dead "a butt"s

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Decided to finally play FFV for the first time via the FJF, and, er

So it's Freelancing until the Water Crystal, right? Anything to really worry about until then?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Third run, so far, is: Berserker, Ninja, Monk. 4th class is going to make or break this run, in the sense of how much effort I'll need to put in without grinding.

Next year's command should be #Gauntlet. It only works with Pure Chaos and won't give you ANY job you've had from Pure Chaos that year. Get lucky and you might be able to finish runs with every single job. Woe be to those that get Geo/Red/Monk/Thief as their last run.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 27, 2017

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

lol holy poo poo I've been dreading that I missed farming reflect rings in barrier tower and just learned that they're wall rings in the snes version. I've been sitting on 2 this entiiiiire time! drat that exdeath fight would've been so much easier :downs:

got monk/mystic knight/beastmaster/samurai and so far it's been a blast! I want to do a 750 run after because I don't think I did a good enough job controlling the wild nakk population the first time around. Also the job pool will be completely inverted but mostly want to get on that hot rod snapping action

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Late Basch for the pile. First fiesta victory, first FFV clear, first triple crown.

Zantetsuken, motherfuckers.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay. I'm giving up. Ranger and three Berserkers is just not beating NED. I take back everything I said about Matrix Zerks being better. I'm in the 40s and I've done it twenty times and I have beaten one part once. I can last a little bit longer if I use the lamp right away and ice the back part, but there's just no way at all I'd be able to last a round of the rage timer. So I have to keep it alive. And that means there's just too many things that can one-shot the Ranger. Every Grand Cross is a 2/3 chance of the fight ending right there, every Flare or Holy is death, I am just high level enough to survive Almagest but that means anything else will kill her--like, oh, say poison. She's just not fast enough to keep everybody off the ground, and everybody has to stay off the ground all the time or that's just fewer targets for the back and the front, which is blind but that doesn't seem to affect Vacuum Waves.

This is possible. It's just not possible without taking out some of the one-hit KOs, which means grinding until she has about 2600 HP, which is all the way up to 70. I'm not doing that, not on my phone. I'm going to cheat instead. I'm going to get her Equip Ribbons. I feel like it's still really hard, just slightly less impossible with a Ribbon and Dancer gear.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Oh, and if someone was donating for this:

gently caress the Brave Blade.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does doublehand not work with Goblin Punch? I assumed it would since it changes the sheet damage, but unless I missed some variable in the damage it's not.

Also, the killer bow is weird. No proc effect, the target just dies. I wouldn't even have noticed it was happening if I hadn't one-shot a reflect knight with 250 damage. It even works on non-heavy undead.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Bruceski posted:

Does doublehand not work with Goblin Punch? I assumed it would since it changes the sheet damage, but unless I missed some variable in the damage it's not.

Also, the killer bow is weird. No proc effect, the target just dies. I wouldn't even have noticed it was happening if I hadn't one-shot a reflect knight with 250 damage. It even works on non-heavy undead.

I think bows are coded that way so their procs work with rapid shot, which ignores all other weapon procs. As for killing undead, I dont know, um it headshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

One day, I'm going to be a Sky Berserker!

This was kinda boring. With two people able to quickly remedy almost everything Grand Cross can throw at you (did you know that Toad on yourself to untoad can Miss, though? And that I only had one Maiden's Kiss left...for two Toads, so I had to keep casting it. That was loving annoying.

Otoh, I learned that Blue Magic doesn't care a bit if you're silenced or not, so that's nice. And White Wind goes through Reflect (from Lamp!Carbuncle which turned out to be pointless as it wore off too quickly to fire a Reflect inferno).

Almagest was a non-issue even for my super squishy mages because Mighty Guard is obscene.

This is indicative of how little flexibility there was - everyone is in their low 30s because I don't need levels, really, and I only made sure that everyone has !Blue, !Black 6 and as I said earlier, Sprint to make things less super tedious. I didn't get the Protect Ring in Istory Falls, to be super fair! That also means that there's 3 Abilities more learned than I'd have normally, that's super anemic for a game like FFV.

My biggest problem was with Necrophobe, actually. Mobile Zerkers obliterate the two barriers in front no problem, but then 'phobe himself is in the first row so they'll always attack his invincible rear end. Yet I cannot cast stuff on the barriers because of their Reflect, and I didn't want to give Reflect to my dudes because I feared I'd get overwhelmed at the start if the Zerks don't kill fast enough.

Solution? Goblin Punch. And I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's another Mobile thing, but with Excalipoor, it shouldn't deal only 450 damage, right? Maybe it is affected by row in Mobile? That'd be a double back row (mine and the barriers'), so that could account for it. Anyway, with Assassin Dagger's 350ish damage per Punch, the mages were able to slooooowly whittle away the Barriers. After they ran out of MP...that sucked.

Didn't even get the Genji Armor afterwards, but gently caress it.

Now for the second run. Still pondering on what to do...maybe just a simple Random?

• Locked thread