Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Android TV is really bad but otherwise I love my Sony x810c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I wish the 77" OLED didn't cost $20,000.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Judder-free 24p : Yes

Judder-free 24p via 60p : No

Judder-free 24p via 60i : No

You had one job Sony.

That's actually worse than the LG TVs right now since they at least do 60i properly. Maybe they'll fix it.

quote:

This is similar to what we have noticed on the Z9Dand X930E and since most Sony TVs in the past didn't suffer from judder while playing 24p content over 60p/60i sources, we think there may be a bug with the software. As with the X930E and Z9D, we will update this review if it gets fixed in a future firmware update.

I know my w900a does it properly.

It's amazing how neither TV makers or streaming device makers can get their poo poo together in delivering proper 24p cadence

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
This is why adaptive refresh rates will be nice, since 120Hz inputs have never really seemed to catch on.

Sending 24 over 60 and then having the TV unfuck it is a stupid hack in the first place, but because changing to native 24 signaling causes a resync that interrupts things for a few seconds people don't like it. 120Hz basically bodges around it by allowing 24/30/60 to all be cleanly multiplied in the source, but adaptive refresh means 25/50 will be nice and smooth too.

Speaking of that, is 100Hz a thing for the 50Hz markets in the same way 120 is here?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Adaptive refresh rate isn't going to solve this.

We're still sending 24p material over a 60p carrier. The TV MUST be able to unfuck it to get correct cadence.

If you are suggesting that input devices are going to use adaptive refresh to send native output to the TV without the need to do a resync, I think you're dreaming. We can't even get Roku to allow us to select the proper black level, it will be the heat death of the universe before they support that.

All the devices need now is a checkbox that says "passthrough video when available" and it would be solved. But they refuse to entertain the idea.

I can force 23.97hz with my ShieldTV, but it's not perfect. There's occasional hitches and lip sync issues that lead me to believe the thing is converting to 60p first and then reversing it. The best way to get correct cadence on my Shield is to set it to 1080p60 and have my receiver do the reverse telecine.

Oddly enough, this is one area where TiVo is ahead of everyone. All their apps can be set to passthrough.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Tv's arn't gonna bother with adaptive frame rates for a LONG time except a few 69XBoxoNEX69 branded ones.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
bull, any suggestions for good 3D blurays for my 55c6p?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Captain America Civil War was pretty bitching. The scene where Rhodes is falling out of the sky and they just show his head inside the helmet really shows off the inky black of the TV. In a dark room, it's a floating disembodied head.

Paranorman is pretty nice too. I actually really need to go through and watch all my 3d discs as I've only scratched the surface so far.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Avatar and Hugo are good too if you don't already have them

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pricing for the 77" W series OLED was released today. $20k.

Thats...actually not that bad. I mean, it's super super super expensive and you have to have money to burn to buy one. However, the previous generation 77" G series was that much, so that points to the thinness tech not adding much to the cost of the panel. Really that makes sense. It's not like my C6 is any thicker at the top of the panel, it's just thicker in the base. Moving the electronics to an external box and attaching it with a ribbon cable likely doesn't cost much.

Once the novelty wears off and they move on to flexible displays or something, I can see the wallpaper thing becoming a normal feature of the TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, hey, mainstream attention.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/28/15887986/lg-oled-tv-dolby-atmos-arc-petition

I would like LG to make a statement one way or another. It's possible the hardware doesn't support it, in which case there's nothing they can do. However, if the hardware does support it, hopefully this gets enough visibility that something is done.

DD+ (and therefore Atmos) is possible over ARC as the SPDIF spec allows for enough bandwidth for it. We generally don't think DD+ works over SPDIF as coax and optical do not have enough bandwidth in their physical interconnects to support it. HDMI does.

So, it all depends on the internal hardware situation. If ARC is simply hardwired of the same physical interconnect as the optical out, LG may not be able to do anything. However, if it's a software defined interface, they should be able to update it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DTS:X or bust.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hot take: unless you have a dedicated theater room don't bother with Atmos get better equipment for you front 3 speakers instead.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

qirex posted:

Hot take: unless you have a dedicated theater room don't bother with Atmos get better equipment for you front 3 speakers instead.

What, you don't like my voice of god speaker in my 1 bedroom apartment?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's weird I'm actually thinking of switching back to stereo for my next system, I'm just done with all the fiddly BS around speaker positioning and wall mounting and everything else and I could get two super kickass speakers and not have to worry about driving them since most sub-$2k receivers have garbage amps now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But if your already have two kick-rear end speakers, adding a few more makes everything better.

I love my definitive technology BP-8040st towers, but adding the surrounds and Atmos makes them amazing.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I dunno, I like soundbars for my apartment cause they're less hassle. Sure, it's not the same as full 5.1, or atmos, but soundbar + wireless rears sounds just fine.

How were/ are the j series Samsung's? I got a great deal on a former display model 50" 7000, and on display it looked great. But that doesn't mean everything will look great on it. The feed going to the display was the display xbox, so how's the upscaling from a regular dvd player? I know the k series has issues with light bleed, is it the same with the j?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I really don't know where to go with my next audio setup (starting from scratch). I'm most likely going to get the Yamaha 7810 which is the Costco version of the 871 but nearly half the price, which gives me up to Atmos if I want it in the future, as well as running my second zone in a way I can deal with.

The different ways each brands handle multi zone is pretty frustrating, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've heard both bounce speakers and direct ones for Atmos and it's a significant difference, I wouldn't bother with bounce ones but that's me.

To actually talk about TVs, I've finally settled on the 55" Sony X900E, is there any way of shipping that is more or less likely to result in damage to it? I guess it's all the same carriers. I could also rent a car and pick it up from the store but it got to the store using freight so I'm not sure if that would make any difference. Thoughts?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Im putting ceiling atmos speakers in if i ever get a tall enough ladder home.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Costco shoppers: What's the best deal for around $1000 (give or take a couple hundred)? I have my heart set on a 65" but all of the 65's in that price range seem to be mediocre at best.

Meanwhile, the 55" version of the KS800D is $979, and the newer 55 MU800D is $1179.

There's also the Vizio M65 E0, which is exactly in my wishful-thinking sweet spot of 65" for $1000, but it looks like HDR support is weird.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Argyle posted:

Costco shoppers: What's the best deal for around $1000 (give or take a couple hundred)? I have my heart set on a 65" but all of the 65's in that price range seem to be mediocre at best.

Meanwhile, the 55" version of the KS800D is $979, and the newer 55 MU800D is $1179.

There's also the Vizio M65 E0, which is exactly in my wishful-thinking sweet spot of 65" for $1000, but it looks like HDR support is weird.

New coupons came out today

https://www.costco.com/warehouse-savings.html

They have some new TVs on sale this month.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Argyle posted:

I just got a Costco online blast for the UN65KU6290F Samsung for $999. Wouldn't buy that one. I still think the best deal you'll get in that range is a "good price" on a UN65KS8000.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Astro7x posted:

New coupons came out today

https://www.costco.com/warehouse-savings.html

They have some new TVs on sale this month.

What's up fellow Costco shoppers? I have bought basically all my electronics EXCEPT my TV from them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What's up fellow Costco shoppers? I have bought basically all my electronics EXCEPT my TV from them.

I'm only looking at my second TV purchase in 6 years now thanks to Future Shop's warranty. I started with a Samsung LCD in 2011 that would be considered fat today. Got repaired once, then second time they had to straight up replace it and it wasn't available anymore so I ended up with a newer LED thats still fairly thin even by all but the ultra high end standards today, although I always liked the picture on my original LCD better. And when I got the LED, they tossed in another 3 years warranty for free, but I wasn't able to use it because the single dead pixel I have is a "just live with it" case and I could never find out if my occasional ARC troubles are in the TV or my receiver.

Which brings me to my long winded point, the reason I'm planning on going to Costco next, is a 5 year warranty is going to cost me at most $99, instead of, I fear to check what BB might charge if I bought something expensive. Went to BB yesterday basically out of boredom, saw they charge a sensible and not ridiculous at all $149.99 for a surround sound setup. Those magnificent bastards. But in Canada and especially here on the east coast, choices are slim.

How much difference is there going from an E series Vizio up to an M and a P? Sports (hockey) are my biggest concern. I mean jeez the 55" E series is ~849 and the P series is $1849. Cant be worth over double can it? Looking for a 120hz panel as well if you are about to make any suggestions, I'm not locked into any brand.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
How is Vizio these days? I've been out of the TV game for too long, but back around 2010 they seemed to be kind of meh. I'm reading around these internet parts that Vizio is becoming king of TV, so I was wondering what goons think?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

pliable posted:

How is Vizio these days? I've been out of the TV game for too long, but back around 2010 they seemed to be kind of meh. I'm reading around these internet parts that Vizio is becoming king of TV, so I was wondering what goons think?

Vizio is about on par with Samsung for most entries. They aren't producing any product at the enthusiast end that I'm aware of, but it's sort of even pickings between Vizio and Samsung below the OLEDs. They seem to have fewer quality issues than Samsung has had of late.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Vizio is about on par with Samsung for most entries. They aren't producing any product at the enthusiast end that I'm aware of, but it's sort of even pickings between Vizio and Samsung below the OLEDs. They seem to have fewer quality issues than Samsung has had of late.

https://www.vizio.com/rseries.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pliable posted:

The Vizio P and M TVs are outstanding value for money, but the Samsung KS8000 is usually available far under its MSRP as well so it comes down to local prices at the moment.

I have and really love a 65" 2016 Vizio M. I tend to prefer the array-backlit Vizios to the edge-lit Samsungs, but my M can't get as bright as a fully blasting KS8000.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 2017 Vizio M was shown to outperform Samsung's QLED flagship TVs in nearly every metric for about half the cost.

I do not have a very high opinion of Samsung from a TV perspective right now. They take the same approach they do to their phones. They cram them full of buzzword features of dubious value at the expense of the core experience.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I do not have a very high opinion of Samsung from a TV perspective right now. They take the same approach they do to their phones. They cram them full of buzzword features of dubious value at the expense of the core experience.
Every model this year is side-lit, even their $4000 ones that are supposed to be competitive with OLEDs and it seems like their HDR approach is just to make the peak brightness as insane as possible.

"We have QLED. Q is better. Is 2 more"

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

qirex posted:

Every model this year is side-lit, even their $4000 ones that are supposed to be competitive with OLEDs and it seems like their HDR approach is just to make the peak brightness as insane as possible.

"We have QLED. Q is better. Is 2 more"

I have a 2016 Samsung TV and I endorse this Futurama-based joke.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who the holy sweet jesus could possibly gaf about the Vizios not having a TV tuner? Go buy a big new 4K TV and watch over the air TV?

The P series 65" just went on sale on Costco, $600 off so $2199. Its only $300 more than the 70" E series, I feel like thats worth the increase in price and sacrificing 5". I mean to me it really is just a display, nothing as far as features matter, I wont use the smart features, I wont be using the built in speakers, so none of the supposed shortcomings will matter to me I dont think.

Something else I just picked up in a review and I wanna be sure about. The soap opera effect is very important to me. Is that possible with 4K content yet, on any displays? The review of the P series I'm looking at says its really 120hz, effective 240 but only 60hz@4K

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 30, 2017

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm in the market for a new TV and plan to use over the air TV.

Just wanted to put that out there. Cable is not something I rely on. However, streaming services and other devices, I do plan on using heavily.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Would it be straightforward to get an HDHomeRun on a Vizio? No idea what kind of apps they support (all streamed from external devices?)

I'd like to get the 55" P series but disappointed that it is IPS. The room is fairly wide though so it might actually be a better option than VA. 65" would be too big and not fit on the tv bench I have, I'm pretty sure. Have an ancient samsung 40" on it now.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Thanks for all the responses, y'all!

Well that's loving sweet then, I'll start looking at Vizios over Samsungs. Samsung has been pissing me off as a whole. Though to be honest, my current HDTV is a 40" Samsung that is still going strong from 2009. I originally got this fucker in 2008: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U9ZCQS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, then a white line developed in the middle of it. Called Samsung, which was a crazy debacle in of itself, but they finally replaced that 2008 model with the 2009 model. That TV cost me $1600 back then. I was looking at Vizio's yesterday and saw I could get a 65" 4k TV for the same price as I paid in 2008 (I guess cheaper technically due to inflation), but wasn't sure how Vizios are these days.

Thanks again!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

codo27 posted:

Who the holy sweet jesus could possibly gaf about the Vizios not having a TV tuner? Go buy a big new 4K TV and watch over the air TV?

That's the easiest way to watch football?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not to mention highest quality, as OTA broadcasts aren't compressed like whatever's coming out of your cable box.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 1, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
fwiw I love my M series and my wife's son thinks it better than his father's stupid Samsung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

the good fax machine posted:

Not to mention highest quality, as OTA broadcasts aren't compressed like whatever's coming out of your cable box.

Not really true anymore in most markets. OTA has largely succumbed to the same fate as cable. They cram too many subchannels in with the main channel and it becomes bit starved.

In fact, often times your can get better quality with cable now as the local affiliates usually have a direct feed of the channel going to the local cable head end and that feed is done before it's combed and muxed in with the subchannels.