Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Hexyflexy posted:

It's 4am now, I'm programming a thing for a client that's overdue a month and I accidentally typed a row of "U" into my terminal. Started having flashbacks. Thanks angband, I've not played you in years and I still bloody remember to be scared of various ascii characters.

I have played too much adom. the & still frightens me.

Goddamned demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

People just do not understand that most software/game projects don't end up shipping. Downside of publisher-less world is that's exposed directly to customers.

Tollymain posted:

also lmao that's a really, really bad steam topic, some incredibly awful posters in there

Every early access game should have a mandated EULA splash screen that says "Press F to understand that this is the game you purchased and this may be the very last version of it you ever see and if you don't like it then go buy more AAA manshoots"

Not that there's anything wrong with AAA manshoots.

Anyone who spent ten seconds looking into Gaslamp and their record knows they busted their rear end on CE, and there's no way that they just dropped the game for funsies and are rolling around in piles of shiny toonies, laughing at the people who foolishly trusted them. They swung for the fences, and it doesn't always work out. poo poo it hardly ever works out. How many of us indie devs are just one bad summer/winter sale from going back to giving handjobs behind the abortion clinic?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

going back to giving handjobs behind the abortion clinic

Oh was I supposed to stop doing that. :yikes:

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

NAME REDACTED posted:

I'm going to put in what I think is the first time this game has been recommended in this thread - Monolith. I don't think it's as good as Nuclear Throne, but for a first release it feels remarkably polished. It does the same sort of thing as Isaac and Flamebreak where all the fights happen in arenas no bigger than the screen, but there's enough variety in enemies and weapon types that it hasn't felt repetitive yet. It does the BoI thing where hitting in-game achievements unlocks new equipment, but you have to choose to unlock them with persistent in-game currency, so I think you can completely ignore that if you don't want any of that. It's new enough that the developer hasn't been able to put it on sale on Steam this summer, but it's pretty cheap regardless.

Also it looks very pretty.

Wanna say Monolith is a really good game and has a free update for in two weeks to expand the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
monolith is rad and actually quite challenging unlike a lotta RL shooters

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

Every early access game should have a mandated EULA splash screen that says "Press F to understand that this is the game you purchased and this may be the very last version of it you ever see and if you don't like it then go buy more AAA manshoots"

This. When it comes to early access games, your criteria should be "Is this game worth the money as it is right now?" not "Will it be worth the money I spent on it in the future?"

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Don't fall into the Star-Citizen-dead-trap.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Purchasing the promise of a good game is for Kickstarter. :smugbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PMush Perfect posted:

Purchasing the promise of a good game is for Kickstarter. :smugbert:
[ASK] me about backing Confederate Express

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

[ASK] me about backing Confederate Express
Wowow they just up and vanished, didn't they? Holy poo poo.

Legend of Iya gets me to shake my fist. The guy had nothing during the KS but animated sprites, made 2x as much coin as the dmans KS in 2013, and has produced nothing since. Chasm is the same way. Really changed my opinion on Kickstarter -- people don't give a gently caress about the gameplay or if it is even feasible, just make pretty pictures or name drop j-devs, get paid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's been some real success stories, at least. Dmans, FTL, got high hopes for Tangledeep... A few more, too, but those are most of the RL ones I can think of.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Legend of Iya gets me to shake my fist.
:viggo: No no no, you see you can't play my brilliant game because Early Access is a death sentence for Metroidvanias, not because I took the Iya KS money and made two other entirely different games with it. Huh? What's a deadsmells?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm still getting the occasional email about Chasm. So far as I know it's still in development, it's just moving slooooooowly.

Which isn't to say that if I'd known a priori that it was going to take so long, I would've invested in it. Maybe I would still have, I don't know. It's been, what, four years?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

really sad about gaslight games

dredmor was great

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think people have talked about it before, Dredmor was what we NEEDED, it got a lot of people into the genre and really redefined in public eyes what a rogue-like could look like. It's obsolete now, for the most part, some glaring flaws were hidden under the chipped paint, but the genre as we know it would not exist without DoD.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

Wowow they just up and vanished, didn't they? Holy poo poo.
And about a month later the two brothers were involved in some kind of bizarre AirBnB lawsuit-thing where they refused to move out of a home and claimed squatter's rights or something insane like that?

I don't mind losing :10bux: for the sheer craziness of that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PMush Perfect posted:

I think people have talked about it before, Dredmor was what we NEEDED, it got a lot of people into the genre and really redefined in public eyes what a rogue-like could look like. It's obsolete now, for the most part, some glaring flaws were hidden under the chipped paint, but the genre as we know it would not exist without DoD.

Talk about damning with faint praise.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I sincerely love Dredmor but that doesn't excuse how poorly it aged or how annoying it is to actually play.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
I am grateful to Dredmor for burning this music track into my brain. It will forever play whenever I run into a monster zoo in any game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PMush Perfect posted:

I think this is BS. Dredmor is a good game with some flaws, but it is still a good game. It isn't obsolete.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have a hard time considering anything in dredmor a dealbreaker considering what else exists in the genre

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think i played dredmor for a total of about 2 hours. the class system was cool but i didnt like much else.

e: 4 hours, my bad

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Dredmor is a flawed gem and the first game I spent more than 100h in. It poured gasoline on my little roguelike flame when it came out and made me dive deep into the genre. Sad to see them go.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dredmor is one of my biggest inspirations for wanting to make roguelikes and not entirely in a good way

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just about everything to do with inventory in dredmor is tedious, crafting is worse, it really needs an autotravel system and the final boss is basically really bad

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Ultimate roughlike = Mechanic of Tome + graphic design of dredmor + dwarf fortress guy because why not.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

IronicDongz posted:

just about everything to do with inventory in dredmor is tedious, crafting is worse, it really needs an autotravel system and the final boss is basically really bad

Yup. But Dredmor has one of the best level 1's of any roguelike, a genre notorious for really bad first impressions.

Probably a significant chunk of the roguelike renaissance can be traced to Dungeons Of Dredmor letting you have the first skill from seven different skill trees right at the start of the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nyaa posted:

Ultimate roughlike = Mechanic of Tome + graphic design of dredmor + dwarf fortress guy because why not.

ToME and DF have completely opposite goals, though. Like, ToME's mechanics work because it is 100% gameplay, the story is an afterthought, realism is an afterthought. DF on the other hand is about creating a narrative by being as aggressively simulationist as possible.

I'm not really in love with Dredmor's look either, although in fairness I play most roguelikes in ASCII. If you wanted a poster child for good-looking graphical roguelikes I'd go with Necrodancer or Sproggiwood, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My issue with Dredmor is it's sssslllloooowwww.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I found the current Tome really fun and def will get back to it once I have 36h days, but it's pretty much the roguelike direction I've generally found somehow off-putting. When I was playing a lot of Angband and variants at the beginning of the millennium, after the vanilla I always found the more concise variants like Oangband much more interesting, than the "more of everything" like variants of Zangband style, where I think the old variant-Tome also goes. This is not to say I didn't put plenty of hours into Zangband too, but in general Oangband cutting the unnecessary fat away and trying to do interesting things on the mechanics side of Angband always was more interesting to me. In the same sense, Sil has always sounded and by short test felt really cool.

Angband development being a thing again is a really nice news. Should get back to it at least to give it a couple of ironman runs to get some feel of the changes. Haven't touched vanilla Angband since 2001 or something....

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
DCSS has sucked me in hardcore in a way I didn't think a reskin of a 20-year-old ASCII game ever could. But dear lord I'm so bad at it.

Latest comical "gotcha" death: finding out Submerged is a thing. (not in Shoals, though, just a dungeon minivault with a seemingly endless conga line of swamp worms.)

I either die in the first 2 or 3 floors or survive well into the 3-5 hour range at this point. Early game is so incredibly swingy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SKULL.GIF posted:

My issue with Dredmor is it's sssslllloooowwww.

to be fair, there's an animation speed slider in the options

it's not super obvious but it DOES exist

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

I give them credit for this because I keep a small but depressing list of ostensibly really good games that I can't bring myself to play because the animations take so long, most notably the new Shadowrun and Endless Legend.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I give them credit for this because I keep a small but depressing list of ostensibly really good games that I can't bring myself to play because the animations take so long, most notably the new Shadowrun and Endless Legend.

Endless Legend got a *lot* more bearable once I figured out how to turn the combat animations up to something like 5x or 10x speed. Doesn't work on the map animations though.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's not super obvious but it DOES exist

This helps but doesn't fix everything else that's painfully slow about the game. Maybe I'm spoiled by Crawl.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Did I miss chatter about this game? http://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Certainly looks intriguing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Toadsmash posted:

I either die in the first 2 or 3 floors or survive well into the 3-5 hour range at this point. Early game is so incredibly swingy.

If you keep playing, you'll eventually raise both of those number ranges. I'm really bad and have never ascended but I've certainly improved over my initial abilities. There's a DCSS thread here in Games, too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796405

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Toadsmash posted:

DCSS has sucked me in hardcore in a way I didn't think a reskin of a 20-year-old ASCII game ever could. But dear lord I'm so bad at it.

Latest comical "gotcha" death: finding out Submerged is a thing. (not in Shoals, though, just a dungeon minivault with a seemingly endless conga line of swamp worms.)

finding some friends and playing in a couple new version tournaments online was how i went from about that record to actually ascending a few times

having a scoreboard and friends to talk to helps avoid the greatest danger of all; getting bored and not paying attention and dying to something dumb

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

victrix posted:

Did I miss chatter about this game? http://store.steampowered.com/app/527230/For_The_King/

Certainly looks intriguing

It's decent with some good ideas re: overworld, but I got tired of samey fights and loot management about 3 hours into it. Now they've changed the game a bit to allow for more freeform wandering. Think of it like a Darkest Dungeon with simpler fights, a typical RPG overworld map instead of town management and a much shorter campaign. You'll like it if you're into this sort of stuff, but I don't think it can become a new favourite game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Look, I got all I wanted out of Dredmor's crafting when I combined a sword and a bunch of meat for a Pork Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Monolith is fun as hell. Reminds me a lot of stuff like Smash TV. A+ would dodge directly into a giant laser for no reason again.