Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I tried Dyling Light on PS4 a while back and didn't get into it. I didn't hate it, just never got time to really give it a chance. I do remember feeling a little bit of being "rushed", does the game ever chill out at all, sort of how in W3 you can ignore the main quest 99% of the time and dick around? I'm aware there is a night cycle that makes it more dangerous to be out, but other than that?

What is W3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Witcher 3 I assume

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Now that I've finally hit the second Ruin in Horizon: Zero Dawn I love the storytelling in this game. I love the hologram-scenes of Elisabet discovering the nature of Apocashitstorm, ie all the robots made by Ted's company starting to eat everything in sight to convert to biomass. Just Ted trying so feebly to placate her and her responding with "This isn't a glitch Ted, this is a disaster..." "It gets worse...:shobon:" and the great moment of "My Bad..." "You're bad? This isn't bad Ted, it's apocalyptic!" Also Aloy calling Sylens out for being a little too coy while sending her into danger.

The characters in this game are so good.

Apocashitstorm isn't a military thing. Read the text parts of the Vantage logs in your collection menu.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just Cause 3 does something that fires off huge endorphins for me:
Flying *just* above the ground.

You're given such good air control that you can skim across the landscape so low that you're hitting sunflowers but not crashing.
Feels good, man.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

I just finished Prey and feel a little bit ashamed that it took me an entire playthrough before I realized that Alex Yu is the "fat man" of the Trolley Problem.

-edit-

Also one of the main motifs of Prey is emulation. The game centers around power-ups that basically function as emulators that grant humans with abilities recorded from celebrities and aliens. One of the main alien types, Mimics, impersonate objects. January and its various iterations emulating Morgan's drifting personality patterns. The questlines dealing with the impostor cook and Danielle's voicelock.

And lastly, you're own nametag "M. Yu" hints at your character being an emulation of the real Morgan.

Metroid Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Jun 30, 2017

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Playing the brand-new Zelda: BOTW DLC. For purchasing the DLC, you don't just get a bunch of new costumes and items. You get a quest marker to a book that gives you HINTS ABOUT WHERE THE DLC ITEMS ARE. Like "Go to a place where soldiers live and look toward the lake." It's an actual quest instead of just paying money to have these things pop into your inventory because you paid for them.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got Final Fantasy 9 and 10/10-2 on the sale. They're really good ports - a real improvement over 7 / 8.

Playing 10 again, I really like Blitzball. It's so dumb, but I really like it. I'm determined to go to FF9 and finally figure out Tetra Master. I think I have the rules and card values down, but there are so many variables, I hope the effort of learning it pays off a bit.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Tetra master is not intristically hard at all. Just...poorly explained and a rng focused, unlike triple triad.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
There is no payoff to Tetra Master. It's just there. Nothing to get, nothing to win.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Aztec posted:

There is no payoff to Tetra Master. It's just there. Nothing to get, nothing to win.

Not true. I played hours and hours of Tetra Master when FFIX came out. You know what I got? Hours and hours of fun. :smithicide:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

It's me. I'm the person who liked tetra master more than triple triad.

I never understood blitzball. Didn't help that I got the feeling that the longer I played and messed up the stronger the opposition becomes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Horizon: OK, that boss fight against the Deathbringer at the Gravehoard is awesome. I felt pretty badass, killed it my first try although lost a lot of health to it due to initial feelings of "WHAT THE gently caress WHAT THE gently caress" :v: After I got the pattern down it was fairly easy though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

I never understood blitzball. Didn't help that I got the feeling that the longer I played and messed up the stronger the opposition becomes.

Did you ever do any recruiting to your team or did you just stick with the base team? I found that once I recruited the "best" player for each position games were a joke and I was literally just playing to see how many goals I could score in a game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

And lastly, you're own nametag "M. Yu" hints at your character being an emulation of the real Morgan.

It does...?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Did you ever do any recruiting to your team or did you just stick with the base team? I found that once I recruited the "best" player for each position games were a joke and I was literally just playing to see how many goals I could score in a game.

Don't they have term limits? I know I put off getting anyone because I wanted to "know what I'm doing" before getting anyone.

Edit: the Necromancer DLC to Diablo 3 has been amazingly fun. When I get momentum in a dungeon it's just an avalanche of reanimated corpses overwhelming everything.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

MiddleOne posted:

It does...?

M Yu Lation.

I mean it's probably very long stretch but I hope that's intentional.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jetamo posted:

M Yu Lation.

i think it's more that Morgan is a name for either a male or a female and 'Yu' is just a not-that-clever allusion to 'You'.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Another's favorite little thing about Mad Max is getting in the wrong side of the car. Obviously the game takes place in Australia so the driver side is on the right and not the left side. If you get it wrong often enough, chumbucket will comment on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The PS4 game Tearaway Unflolded has a character customization bit where you can drawn an image using the touchpad and do all sorts of other things but what's really funny is how the Quit button for that mode is labeled "Argh!" As in, you just got really frustrated because you couldn't get it right.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Jetamo posted:

M Yu Lation.

I admit it's a bit of a stretch but the way the impostor cook kept constantly drawing attention to it felt more than a coincidence. And yeah I get that's how he recognizes you in the first place so maybe I'm looking too much into it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

Don't they have term limits? I know I put off getting anyone because I wanted to "know what I'm doing" before getting anyone.

Technically they do but you can always just resign them. I never had anyone fall off my team that I didn't want to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Petit Gregory posted:

I admit it's a bit of a stretch but the way the impostor cook kept constantly drawing attention to it felt more than a coincidence. And yeah I get that's how he recognizes you in the first place so maybe I'm looking too much into it.
That's supposed to be another clue that he's an imposter. The real cook has met Morgan before and would certainly recognize him/her while the imposter cook wouldn't. The fact that the fake cook blatantly reads off your nametag is one of many clues that something is up.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Ravenfood posted:

That's supposed to be another clue that he's an imposter. The real cook has met Morgan before and would certainly recognize him/her while the imposter cook wouldn't. The fact that the fake cook blatantly reads off your nametag is one of many clues that something is up.
Yeah I picked up on that plus the real cook shows up as being dead in the security terminals. I still get the feeling the symbolism was intentional though.

Anyway, more Prey:

I can't get over the turrets and their adorable technobabble. They just want to be efficient murderdeath robots but those faulty tilt-handling sensors keep getting in their way :3:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
More Breath of the Wild: Wizzrobes wave to you when they notice you.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Prey is the rare game where a second playthrough, knowing 'what's going on', enhances the experience.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

timp posted:

Not true. I played hours and hours of Tetra Master when FFIX came out. You know what I got? Hours and hours of fun. :smithicide:

I'd be happy with 'fun'. I did Triple Triad for hours trying to game the system with card synthesis; but I did like doing it.

I can't remember what I got 10 Elnoyles for, but I'll never forget that I did, and that it took forever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jetamo posted:

M Yu Lation.

Alternatively Am you.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The corpse explosion spell in the Necromancer DLC for Diablo 3 is so incredibly awesome. Also your character looks like he should be in a black metal band.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

GelatinSkeleton posted:

The corpse explosion spell in the Necromancer DLC for Diablo 3 is so incredibly awesome. Also your character looks like he should be in a black metal band.

You're doing it wrong: shaping corpses into spears of bone and flesh is clearly much more metal (and I can just hold square until everything dies), especially with a golem who's happy to sacrifice himself to make more materials for spearing.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

You're doing it wrong: shaping corpses into spears of bone and flesh is clearly much more metal (and I can just hold square until everything dies), especially with a golem who's happy to sacrifice himself to make more materials for spearing.

No dude the golem creates more corpses for you to explode! that plus bloody mess has me pretty much constantly laughing like a maniac at the sheer amount of carnage taking place

GelatinSkeleton has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jul 1, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Pity the Necromancer doesn't have much of a personality, though. Going from the Crusader's dry wit and surprising depth of character to the Necromancer is a hell of a disappointment.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The blood version of corpse lance is even more amazing - not only do you use the enemy's corpse, your own bones rip from your body to fuel the attack. :black101:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
H I T M A N

I think it's cool how the light off of smartphones bounces off your face.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

H I T M A N

I think it's cool how the light off of smartphones bounces off your face.

This mildly annoys me in tv shows and now games, apparently. Any modern smartphone turns the screen off when you're on a call and you hold it up to your ear.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

sirbeefalot posted:

This mildly annoys me in tv shows and now games, apparently. Any modern smartphone turns the screen off when you're on a call and you hold it up to your ear.

Not if you get a text or email during the call. At least that's the case with my iPhone

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sirbeefalot posted:

When you read a text message the words don't appear over your head either, but sometimes visual storytelling defeats realism.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

poptart_fairy posted:

The blood version of corpse lance is even more amazing - not only do you use the enemy's corpse, your own bones rip from your body to fuel the attack. :black101:
I do love how hilariously over-the-top the abilities in D3 get.

I think the difference to D2 is best exemplified by the Shield Bash skill:
- In D2, the paladin hits an enemy with the shield so hard the enemy is stunned
- In D3, the crusader hits an enemy with the shield so hard the enemy loving EXPLODES.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

When you read a text message the words don't appear over your head either, but sometimes visual storytelling defeats realism.

I get why they do it, and it does look better than a black slab. Just something that sticks out at me a little bit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sirbeefalot posted:

I get why they do it, and it does look better than a black slab. Just something that sticks out at me a little bit.

As a kid it always bothered me when Gameboys did that on TV shows because man I would have loved a backlit Gameboy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm more impressed that the light bends perfectly to 47's contours instead of cheaping out in the lighting and looking jaggy.