Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
brain farted and misread as Golf R :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

brain farted and misread as Golf R :v:

Yeah, the Golf R might be a little too subtle. This thing isn't. White is probably its worst color.

I did see a thing where a guy got one on a dyno along with his new SI. Type R put down 306/305 vs 184/205 for the SI.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I really like the look of the type R, until you get to the back end. That's the only styling part that really bothers me. Only being ~$2500 cheaper than sti/RS is a big strike against it though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Yeah, the Golf R might be a little too subtle. This thing isn't. White is probably its worst color.

I did see a thing where a guy got one on a dyno along with his new SI. Type R put down 306/305 vs 184/205 for the SI.

The Golf R is just the right amount of subtle. If i had been driving a bright colored GTI or STI I'd have been nicked at least 3 times already for driving like an rear end in a top hat past a cop.

The Civic R is hilarious bad looking. It looks like something I'd have dreamed up in high school.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I don't know what Honda is doing lately. The back of the new CRV is the worst back end on a utility vehicle since the Aztek.

rowanamethyst
Apr 30, 2015
So I'm looking at a 2017 Fiesta ST for a DD, and I live in rural Pennsylvania, how much will I hate it in the winter? I work at a tire shop so getting snow tires isn't a problem. Also how bad an idea is leasing it instead of buying? I can get a cheaper rate, and if I lose my job/want a newer model in a few years, I don't want to be stuck with paying off the ridiculous depreciation. But I'm not sure if I like the idea of basically renting my car, and knowing that it's not really mine.

Also, looking for general opinions on the ST. I test drove it on Friday, and I really liked it, but a 15 minute test drive can't tell me everything about the car.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Check around for used FiSTs too, you can find some that have already been hit by the depreciation stick if leasing isn't for you. Can't speak for snow worthiness, but I would wager it's just as capable with snow tires as any other fwd econo-based car.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

rowanamethyst posted:

So I'm looking at a 2017 Fiesta ST for a DD, and I live in rural Pennsylvania, how much will I hate it in the winter? I work at a tire shop so getting snow tires isn't a problem. Also how bad an idea is leasing it instead of buying? I can get a cheaper rate, and if I lose my job/want a newer model in a few years, I don't want to be stuck with paying off the ridiculous depreciation. But I'm not sure if I like the idea of basically renting my car, and knowing that it's not really mine.

Also, looking for general opinions on the ST. I test drove it on Friday, and I really liked it, but a 15 minute test drive can't tell me everything about the car.

"Rural Pennsylvania" covers a lot of ground. Our MS3 on Blizzaks did pretty well when we went to Johnstown and central PA to visit relatives in winter, but the Impreza was still the preferred car for those trips for obvious reasons. Northern Pennsylvania, though? Definitely a bigger issue.

rowanamethyst
Apr 30, 2015

tetrapyloctomy posted:

"Rural Pennsylvania" covers a lot of ground. Our MS3 on Blizzaks did pretty well when we went to Johnstown and central PA to visit relatives in winter, but the Impreza was still the preferred car for those trips for obvious reasons. Northern Pennsylvania, though? Definitely a bigger issue.

Near the Lehigh Valley region. Not northern PA, but not all the way south either.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

rowanamethyst posted:

Near the Lehigh Valley region. Not northern PA, but not all the way south either.

I drove a non-ST fiesta hatchback for 4 years in Michigan winters, and as long as you're not dumb it's fine. Obviously you're not going to be driving unplowed country roads with an economy hatchback, but anything that had been plowed recently was fine.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Just did my first Philly winter in my FiST. It's pretty much the same in the snow as any other fwd car. Really depends more on the tires. I got by on cheap 15" steelies with cheap Hurcules Avalanche tires just fine. A set of Blizzaks will do much better I imagine.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Other than ground clearance issues from hitting huge piles of snow, it would be great. I drove mine last year with a brand new set of general articmax and it had grip for days.

Also, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1nkR8pkX4

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Type R in blue with the wing pulled off would look fairly good.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

rowanamethyst posted:

Oh, yeah, you should be fine on the right tires.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Another fiesta st owner chiming in. It's really good in the snow with winter tires. I have some Dunlop studless winter tires and it's great with them.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaintVagrant posted:

Other than ground clearance issues from hitting huge piles of snow, it would be great. I drove mine last year with a brand new set of general articmax and it had grip for days.

Also, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1nkR8pkX4

Why is there so much gear whine on that rally car?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

veedubfreak posted:

Why is there so much gear whine on that rally car?

Transmission has straight cut gears, probably. Not the stock trans!

rowanamethyst
Apr 30, 2015
Okay, you guys have put my mind at ease with regard to driving the FiST in the winter. I think I am going to lease it, I just have to wait for my paycheck (we get paid every two weeks). If this one sells, I can get one just like it without too much trouble- I don't care about the entertainment system and climate control, as long as it plays FM radio and blows hot and cold, respectively. I just want the black paint, black interior, and black wheels with red calipers, which isn't that hard to find.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

rowanamethyst posted:

So I'm looking at a 2017 Fiesta ST for a DD, and I live in rural Pennsylvania, how much will I hate it in the winter?

I can pile on that I liked mine in the winter just fine. I get less snow than you, but with X-Ices I didn't have any problem keeping traction.

As for general opinions: get one and enjoy! It seriously is mindclearingly fun and cheerful, and moreso the harder you push it. When I got mine, I was working a job I hated beyond reason, but I managed to forget where I was going until I parked.

If you are going to track it or anything, I (a rookie and knucklehead) think it's divine and forgiving as all hell. My friend with racing experience said I was much smoother in it than previous cars, and I've found it easy to follow instructors' directions. When I went to Octane Academy, though, the experienced guys that had Foci were not huge fans. They thought it was nervous and tail happy. It does like to rotate, a lot.

Also negative: (at least my) stock wheels like to lose their balancer weights. You might have a good idea in leasing, because it has a whiff of not being hugely durable about it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't understand how anyone could look at the Type R next to a Golf R and take the Honda.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

I don't understand how anyone could look at the Type R next to a Golf R and take the Honda.

Hahaha, I saw an Impreza WRX STi on my way home from work today and thought "drat that thing looks like a fuckin' race car" and then paused a second and realized that my Golf R is essentially the same performance. Totally understated compared to an Impreza which is totally understated itself compared to :rice: the Honda.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The new Civic body style is just horrendous. Even worse in Type-R trim. I'm not sure how Honda can look at the beautiful simplicity of the Civic Si or Integra Type R bodies from the early-mid 90s and still churn out this horrendous new body style.

It's super too bad that Japanese auto makers peaked between 85-95. Glad I was alive to drive some of the best cars of that era, though!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

rowanamethyst posted:

I think I am going to lease it, I just have to wait for my paycheck (we get paid every two weeks).

Hey be careful with that. Historically Ford's "Red Carpet" lease deals have been terrible. The Edmunds forums usually have good info on the money factor and residual info.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Leasing or buying a new fiesta st is a losing prospect. These cars have HORRIBLE depreciation. Just buy a used one. Your monthly payment will be lower and if you end up getting tired of the car you're not stuck with it over the course of the lease.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Buy a used FieST and then drop (some of) the cash you save on the Mountune Turbo upgrade. It's my general plan if my household ever needs to buy a second car again!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Completely an assumption, but the Type R probably makes up for its looks when you're driving it. The Golf R is still pretty sedate which is great if that's what you're looking for in your DD.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fknlo posted:

Completely an assumption, but the Type R probably makes up for its looks when you're driving it. The Golf R is still pretty sedate which is great if that's what you're looking for in your DD.

I've heard that while it handles well for a front wheel drive car (like integra type r handling) the acceleration leaves much to be desired. At that point you'd be better off with a brz/86 (and a set of winter tires if you live in a place that has winters) if you can deal with a trunk instead of a hatch and no rear doors. For less than half the cost. The 0-60 times being reported are pretty similar to that of the toyobaru (which has 100 less peak horsepower)

Just a comparison of two cars that have the reputation of having great handling but slower than expected acceleration.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 3, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mother FUCKER. I just went through a drive-through and misjudged how far the curb extended coming out. Curbed one of my forged alloys. :cry:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

I've heard that while it handles well for a front wheel drive car (like integra type r handling) the acceleration leaves much to be desired. At that point you'd be better off with a brz/86 (and a set of winter tires if you live in a place that has winters) if you can deal with a trunk instead of a hatch and no rear doors. For less than half the cost. The 0-60 times being reported are pretty similar to that of the toyobaru (which has 100 less peak horsepower)

Just a comparison of two cars that have the reputation of having great handling but slower than expected acceleration.

The 0-60 looks to be poo poo for sure. The guy I work with that got one said it pulls pretty hard on the highway. Once he has it broken in I'll let you guys know what his thoughts are on it vs. the Focus RS he had for a bit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've been really underwhelmed by both recent Golf Rs. The R32 was cool but the 2.0Ts have just been... a really expensive GTi with all the same flaws and blue gauge needles.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GutBomb posted:

The video review i saw said around a 5.5s 0-60, which puts it firmly in Focus ST range. I'm not sure better handling would make me spend $10k+ more and try to fight a dealer for one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've been really underwhelmed by both recent Golf Rs. The R32 was cool but the 2.0Ts have just been... a really expensive GTi with all the same flaws and blue gauge needles.

That's the justification I used to get a Cayman. "40k for an upgraded GTI or spend a bit more for my dream car?"

In retrospect, the R would be a bit more practical.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I couldn't bring myself to spend $40k for a Golf R, but I drat sure was able to pay $2k for the Pretorias! Too bad they will be around for only a year (in US anyway).

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 3, 2017

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

xsf421 posted:

The video review i saw said around a 5.5s 0-60, which puts it firmly in Focus ST range. I'm not sure better handling would make me spend $10k+ more and try to fight a dealer for one.

Speaking of poor handling, what is this thread's view on the Fusion Sport? It has a 5.3s 0-60, presumably is a comfier DD than a FoST, costs about the same as a GTI SEL (leather seats plz, I have a dogge), and isn't as ugly as a GTI (according to my wife, who I don't agree with but I'd rather not fight this particular battle)

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

I couldn't bring myself to spend $40k for a Golf R, but I drat sure was able to pay $2k for the Pretorias! Too bad they will be around for only a year (in US anyway).

drat those are good looking wheels, good move.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

+ 100 hp
+ warranty on that 300hp
+ AWD

The R is more than just a juiced up GTI.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

+ 100 hp
+ warranty on that 300hp
+ AWD

The R is more than just a juiced up GTI.

Sure, but then you compare blow out prices on a GTI to MSRP on the R and diminishing returns become a much larger factor.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Sure, but then you compare blow out prices on a GTI to MSRP on the R and diminishing returns become a much larger factor.

I struggled for over a year on whether or not to buy an R. My latest was a few months ago. I brought my car title (trade) and checkbook to dealer and was ready to buy. After eye-****ing a blue R for about a 1/2 hour I just couldn't do it. For me, I couldn't put down $10k and pay $550 a month for whatever years. I could but didn't want to. I've had my GTI for 3 months now and love it to death. I think the GTI is a great car and a tremendous bargain while the R is simply a great car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

So does resale value. The R holds it's value a hell of a lot better than the GTI. And considering I live where it snows, spending the extra money on a car I plan to keep for likely 10 years, the extra isn't that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Does the R really hold its value?

In my part of the world absolutely nothing depreciates like an expensive Volkswagen (well aside from even more expensive Audis)