Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stheno's really useful in camelot which is one of the hardest parts of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

stheno's really useful in camelot which is one of the hardest parts of the game

Thanks for the info, that just made her that much better in spite of general usage.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
in addition to

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

After you've smashed 5 of them together for a maxed NP, is there anything to do with extra copies of bronze Servants besides sacrifice them for little slivers of QP or exp, or is that it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

After you've smashed 5 of them together for a maxed NP, is there anything to do with extra copies of bronze Servants besides sacrifice them for little slivers of QP or exp, or is that it?
nope, they're exp/qp fodder at that point

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

their bodies are now your communion

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I wish I had known Stheno was poo poo because when I saw Vlad + 4* and a bunch of 4-5* CEs I just stopped... Should have kept going :v Already spent some $ for account recovery in the future so I'll keep at it but some of your guys' spare rolls make me regret :v

im running Vlad and I Ascended him once and he's sick nasty, especially if I get anyone that can boost up his NP gauge so I wouldn't be too upset with having him at least

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gamerofthegame posted:

my main starter was stheno who's whatev I guess I mean she doesn't shine against all these skeletons I guess I just pressed the beserker on the friends list and snoozed through the prologue

then I realized I had enough for two ten pulls and got 5* saber lily and ruler jeane (also how to level)

did I luck out or are they garbo

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Stheno was my mvp in Orleans. I had Kojiro, Hassan arm and Siegfried but they all paled in comparison to her. She was tearing through wyverns like nothing while the others struggled until they got their NP up.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have just been slapping everything in Orleans to death with Herc/Tamamo Cat/support L70 Vlad

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

if i was feeling vindictive i'd make a gif of using them to level up lu bu

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I saw that there's a new anime. Is it a coincidence that a lot of characters from France are there?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I guess? There's Astolfo, Jeanne, and I don't recall many other prominent French. It's also a plot point that the HGW of Apocrypha takes place in Transylvania.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well I mean Siegfried and Vlad are there, and I got partly confused on why a side-guy like Sieg is a main character.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The book the anime is based on came first, so it's more like FGO took the main characters and then kind of largely shoehorned many of them off to the side.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
It's probably not a coincidence, but also no special meaning to it. I think at the time the game launched, The LNs for Apocrypha were the biggest things going on for the Fate franchise. So it makes sense that the game would promote those characters first if you didn't know anything about them so maybe you go out and buy the books. Or pull existing fans into the game with characters they recognize, but are relatively new.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MotU posted:

im running Vlad and I Ascended him once and he's sick nasty, especially if I get anyone that can boost up his NP gauge so I wouldn't be too upset with having him at least

I love Vlad, Visually he's pretty cool , like a blood magic JAlter instead of shadowy stuff. He's a bit fragile still at 60 but his second skill helps with that. I'm 2 dragon wings away from ascension 2, so that'll be fun :)

I'm sure he'll take me far and if I manage to roll Waver/Tamamo later on, I'll be set for sure :)

Apparently Stheno is great for Camelot, which kinda does suck if you're not ready, so that's good news.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to playing this today. Still getting used to some stuff but overall it is proving to be a lot of fun.

On a story note it is kind of messed up what happened to the director.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The cast of Fate/Apocrypha is spread out pretty evenly across the game. Atalanta has a decent role in Okeanos, the next singularity, London has Jack and Mordred, Camelot obviously also has mordred. None of them are really in babylonia, though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Someone very briefly mentioned this at some point earlier, but what types of Craft Essences should I feel free to burn or feed to more useful ones?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Someone very briefly mentioned this at some point earlier, but what types of Craft Essences should I feel free to burn or feed to more useful ones?

Dupes of any you've already maxed out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

mapo tofu

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Endorph posted:

mapo tofu

use them to level the kirei CEs you get spooked with, it appeases kirei and increases your odds of getting gold servants

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
New notice went up. Apparently we get 20 free quartzes if we log in at all next week.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
whats so hard about Camelot and what should be done to prepare?

also from reddit for the new master missions:

Septem - Gaul: 3 times, 3 Divine, 3 Roman, 3 Servants, 9 AP per round, total 27 AP
Fuyuki - Unknown Coordinates X-F: 3 times, 3 Lawful, 3 Chaotic, 6 Servants, 6 AP per round, total 18 AP
Fuyuki - Unknown Coordinates X-E: 1 time, 1 Servant, 5 AP per round, total 5 AP

cheapest clear I think? 50 AP total

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spoilers for bosses that appear in camelot and when you fight them:

If you don't want spoilers: Pretty much every chapter of Camelot has a boss at the end with some kind of ridiculous gimmick or another, such as using an aoe NP every single turn, having a massive defense buff, being immune to debuffs and resisting every class, or ignoring your dodges/invulns.

Things that can be done to prepare: Level up Euryale and Robin Hood since most of the bosses are male Sabers (I don't think it should surprise you that you fight the Knights of the Round Table in Camelot), Stheno, Mata Hari, and anyone else with a male-targeting Charm is also good, since charms are one free turn with a high success rate. David is also good, since he has a skill that gives everyone in the party dodge and you get him for free from Okeanos. Level up Mash in advance, she gets a ton of buffs during Camelot's story and is very useful due to her taunt. Siegfried is actually useful against the final bosses of the singularity, since they have the Dragon trait.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 3, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I'm watching Fate/Zero for the first time, and I think the nickname Zhuge Liang has in F/GO spoiled me on something. But if it's actually supposed to be that connection I'm just more confused than anything else.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

Siegfried is actually useful against the final bosses of the singularity, since they have the Dragon trait.
And because it's a Dragon trait Lancer meaning that for once Siegfried's dragon-slaying skillset synergizes properly.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I'm watching Fate/Zero for the first time, and I think the nickname Zhuge Liang has in F/GO spoiled me on something. But if it's actually supposed to be that connection I'm just more confused than anything else.

There is honestly 0 storyline connection or deeper meaning as to why Zhuge Liang's powerset ended up in this guy. It's just fanservice.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 3, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is it over or under 300 AP to complete a singularity, because it seems like the game expects you to do like two areas a day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fyi, everyone just got given 20 quartz.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
random question but are there any 3* or 4* CEs that are secretly keepers no matter what or anything like that?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tituria Manface

Funny enough, Lancer was the one I struggled the least against.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, I have nearly 120 quartz, and just finished Orleans. Lets hope that's enough of a connection to get someone good on a 10 roll.

... Nope. spooked by Kirei twice, and a Gandr, but at least I got one new guy, Romulus!

I am definitely going to have rank E luck going forwards. I know it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

In happier news I finally got Cursed Arm Hassan from the FP gacha.

Now for Hans, St. George, and Leonidas...

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gamerofthegame posted:

if i was feeling vindictive i'd make a gif of using them to level up lu bu

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Baal posted:

I have an index in the second post of the thread, if you want to comment about more of them then they're there.

Already, let's see:
  • Mash: Technically her skillup costs are nothing like any other servant's. Her skill mats are just 5 of every release-day material. Which is really cheap in the grand scheme of things, really. Cheaper than even bronzes, IMO.
    Her NP generation is decent enough, and if you pop her 3 then she can easily go from 0 to 100% and even to 200% if you hit a crit. It's kind of insane. (And unlike many, her NP has tangible benefit from the increased overcharge). Damage Cut is applied after most modifiers including class advantage, so its effect is magnified when you apply it along side other Def Up buffs or when properly exploiting the class triangles. Stacking her skill and NP can let the team take almost zero damage from NPs. After upgrade her damage output is actually fairly respectable, if not particularly stellar, so her cards are less of a waste.
    I'd rate her at 5/10 before Camelot and 9 or even 10/10 after. She doesn't quite fulfill the same niches as Waver or Tamamo or Merlin, but she is better than any of the three in the "keep people alive" niche.
  • Mozart: His NP rolls the trigger chance for every effect, so it's 80% chance for each effect. Your wording is kinda ambiguous, makes it sound like it spins a roulette on the effect. I know you clarify in the Pros section, but yeah. Also the third skill is great on buster critmeme teams, which you glossed over. You also didn't specify the actual effect numbers. (It's 20%-40%, Curse is 500-2500 but nobody cares about DoTs in this game)
  • Mata Hari: Having release-day Caster animations means your Quicks are actually unusually powerful for charging NP if you give them the Arts first card bonus. It's not as good as Carmilla, but still pretty good. She needs support, but she's not as bad at cycling her NP as you paint her. (Why is this: Originally, Caster animations were 1 hit on Arts and 1 hit on Quick, but the Quick buff raised the Quick hits to two, doubling the NP generation, and their NP gen never got rebalanced to account for this. So Mata makes 14.7% on an Arts 3+first card bonus and 12.6% on a Quick 3+first card bonus)
  • Spartacus: Class-based modifiers means even though his attack is lower than Mata Hari his effective attack is higher before counting triangle modifiers. It's still bad though.
  • Asterios: Why not include the %s on overcharge?
  • Leonidas: Taunt is on himself, not on enemies.
  • George: Agree on the assassins having less inherent damage but they also have higher inherent crit rates. They're the ones that can ruin your day with a badly timed crit, so I'd rather not give people a false sense of security.
  • Teach: Isn't that 30%/70% chance to drain NP?
  • Hans: His 1 doesn't mention the crit buff is to everyone. Same thing as Mozart, it's one roll per effect.
  • Sanson: His 3 is not like Nightingale's. Servants are Humanoid, but not Human. It's a really useless skill. Also you said "burst" instead of "buster".
  • Hassan: 1-hit Arts cards are good because NP gain is balanced around arts cards (or the NP card if it's arts). Since it's single-hit, he's got a relatively high base NP generation number, which makes his Quick NP generation much better. (Conversely, Kerry's gain is rear end to counteract the fact his NP does like a million hits)
  • Gilles: Militart tactics
  • Medusa: Why not call it Blood Fort Andromeda?
  • Boudica: You keep randomly skipping some %s and I have no idea why. This one is particularly egregious given how often you bring up her 3's % value.
  • Mephistopheles: His 2 says "cri stars". Also why wait until now to explain Curse damage? Why not Mozart?
  • Lu Bu: You mention demerits on 2 of his skills but only his 3 has a demerit listed. His 2 is missing the demerit, isn't it. IIRC it's lower chance for his self-buffs to hit.
  • Darius: Proof the overall opinion a bit.

On a general note, you don't mention passives, which have a small but still significant effect. Territory Creation and Riding, in particular, are Arts and Quick Up, respectively, which means more NP gen and more stargen, respectively. These are particularly significant on the third card. Honorary mention to Magic Resistance and Divine Core, which sometimes become really useful when the fuckers start spamming debuffs or stuns.
Also I feel you kinda overemphasize self-reliance over team synergy but that's just me.
Oh, and DoTs suck so why even mention them. :v:

Trihugger posted:

Not that it's relevant anymore, but I thought he was also considered good before they reworked how crit stars were generated. When he was first released, he was the best crit star generator in the game, but they nerfed how many stars Buster and Arts cards generated and buffed Quick. I think they also tweeked how many stars you could generate off of overkill, so Gil bullying an already dead opponent to generate 20-30 stars is no longer a thing. I guess he was bad for like 3 months and top tier for the rest of the life of the game.

Captain Baal posted:

He was considered rear end until his animation update in like March of 2016, so he wasn't as good as he is now for a while and then they made him really good.
Gil was always decent-to-good. Before the release of new servants with high hitcounts he had the best hitcounts and therefore stargen with only Hassan being close. His NP gen was always pretty good (NP gen is balanced around hitcount so it never really changed except caster-animation servants got their Quick np gen doubled because the Quick buff raised the hitcount on that particular animation from 1 to 2).
Obviously the ability to be super effective vs Servants is always useful, but most of the early game was defined around single-target NPs murdering ASAP, so he wasn't super relevant. When later content came out and the adds became a real threat he rose in relevance again as he could clear the board while still dealing near-single target levels of damage to the main threat.

Also the increase in star generating servants (and the release of Fragments of 2030 with its 8 free starts per turn) and the overall increase in skill levels for important crit boosters like Waver made his crit abilities more useful, particularly his 3 which was kinda useless before.

Then finally came Merlin who fed him stars and boosted his Busters and crits and his relevance shot way up. His 3 getting a self-NP charge was just icing, really.

And for the record Altera's got such a high base Atk that she's useful even outside her NP. :colbert:

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 3, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I realized after I wrote Mash's that I underrated her overall, because yeah she is just ridiculous after Camelot, so I need to go back and fix that tbh. Also on the names of some of these, I was using names from Cirnopedia, so I did forget to consider they took some of them a bit too literally and in the case of classic names like Blood Fort Andromeda, I need to go back and fix. On Teach I wrote 30/70% but I guess the wording there is a bit weird. I'll go back and fix some of this stuff after I have the 5* done so I can make a clear run through all of them bit by bit, because I agree my wording on some of this could be better and I do explain things in some places and then not some others. Thanks for the points though so I can go back and fix this and make it better for other people reading this stuff. Also listing certain % here and there was me being lazy in certain cases, lol. I know how that comes off and sorry about that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Haha no no need to apologize, I give totes respect to anybody that bothers to write all this poo poo out. I couldn't ever be arsed to do that. That's why I wrote a program to spit out datamines for me. :v:

Tae posted:

So I saw that there's a new anime. Is it a coincidence that a lot of characters from France are there?
Same writer. Beyond that not really.

MotU posted:

random question but are there any 3* or 4* CEs that are secretly keepers no matter what or anything like that?

3*s I can't think of any except Leyline (Dragon's Meridian I think is the name?) 'cause cheap NP charge.
4*s there's a fair number, particularly Illya (Buster Up), Rin (Quick Up), Shirou (Arts Up), Sakura (NP Charge) & Maids (NP Gen Up)

(FYI there's two versions of Rin, Shirou and Sakura. The 4*s are as above, the 5*s are tiddy Rin (Arts Up), abs samurai Shirou (Buster Up) and weird sleeve Sakura (Quick Up). They obsolete the 4* versions but you might wanna hang on to them because cost and such)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is there any particular logic for picking up characters besides saving up for a 10 roll?