Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
*Ref and video ref see the replay showing the clear offside, have a conversation agreeing on these facts*
Poite (to the captains): "Gentlemen, lets make a deal about the offside"
Read: "Uh Romain...that's not the law, he's in front"
Poite: "Scrum :v:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Not gonna deny that NZ were the better team over three tests

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Only marginally better than the wallabies... Sad...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Give it extra time, there MUST be a winner :mad:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That's the worst all blacks game i've seen in my entire life

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

*Ref and video ref see the replay showing the clear offside, have a conversation agreeing on these facts*
Poite (to the captains): "Gentlemen, lets make a deal about the offside"
Read: "Uh Romain...that's not the law, he's in front"
Poite: "Scrum :v:"

He needs to be sacked.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
A poo poo end to a poo poo game. Exactly what everyone deserves.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Gatlandball successfully grinds rugby union to a halt.

Everyone concludes rugby is silly. Garland is eventually hung for crimes against humanity.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

So bizarre but before the series everyone was saying 3-0 so I guess well done guys?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

WMain00 posted:

Gatlandball successfully grinds rugby union to a halt.

Everyone concludes rugby is silly. Garland is eventually hung for crimes against humanity.

Look! He's ascending!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Read is in shock.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

butros posted:

Read is in shock.

Desperately trying to not give his real opinion about Poite.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

bigfoot again posted:

So bizarre but before the series everyone was saying 3-0 so I guess well done guys?

Mate, they were crowing about 10-0...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Has nobody actually ever looked at the rules of rugby and thought none of this poo poo makes any sense

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

butros posted:

Read is in shock.

I've got a lot of respect for that dude.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

World Rugby website page for the law on offside is down:

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11.6&language=EN

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wandle Cax posted:

Has nobody actually ever looked at the rules of rugby and thought none of this poo poo makes any sense

I say this all the time. It's a bad sport. The basic tackle, scrum and maul encounters don't work without a massively complex set of arbitrary rules that aren't practically refereeable.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I say this all the time. It's a bad sport. The basic tackle, scrum and maul encounters don't work without a massively complex set of arbitrary rules that aren't practically refereeable.

So much of it is up to the ref's interpretation but then a lot of the time the letter of the law is upheld despite being totally against the flow of the game or any fault of any player. the whole thing's a mess

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

butros posted:

World Rugby website page for the law on offside is down:

http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11.6&language=EN

Hey it's loading again:

(b) When a player hands the ball to a team-mate in front of the first player, the receiver is offside. Unless the receiver is considered to be intentionally offside (in which case a penalty kick is awarded), the receiver is accidentally offside and a scrum is formed with the opposing team throwing in the ball.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

butros posted:

Read is in shock.

Me too.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

The bigger question is why did he not let advantage play? Why call it back at all?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

The bigger question is why did he not let advantage play? Why call it back at all?

It's been a long morning already and gently caress trying to read the mind of a French referee, but letting play go would have made more sense if it was an accidental offside. I think Poite needed the time to think it through but interpretation breaks don't lend themselves well to a fast flowing game.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Poite could have made any number of decisions

1) Ruled Read didn't compete for the ball, and just made contact with Williams in the air. Penalty Lions
2) Ruled Williams didn't knock-on (as he never had possession and it didn't hit his arm/hands). Play on.

But as he stated there was a knock-on, he was left with 2 options.

Accidental offside if he really believed:
"When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside"

But more likely a penalty to the All Blacks as
"When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player is liable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage."

My first reaction was it hit Williams' back/shoulder, so wasn't really a knock-on. (Just viewed it again and it clearly hit his arm on the way down).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MshOuObxY

Edit: Currently laughing at the sheer number of people on Twitter claiming that "accidental offside" doesn't exist in rugby

stavros880 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 8, 2017

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Is it time to bring up the penalty-distance-should-affect-points discussion again?

Three points from behind the halfway seems a bit much.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

stavros880 posted:

Poite could have made any number of decisions

1) Ruled Read didn't compete for the ball, and just made contact with Williams in the air. Penalty Lions
2) Ruled Williams didn't knock-on (as he never had possession and it didn't hit his arm/hands). Play on.

But as he stated there was a knock-on, he was left with 2 options.

Accidental offside if he really believed:
"When an offside player cannot avoid being touched by the ball or by a team-mate carrying it, the player is accidentally offside"

But more likely a penalty to the All Blacks as
"When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player is liable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage."

My first reaction was it hit Williams' back/shoulder, so wasn't really a knock-on. (Just viewed it again and it clearly hit his arm on the way down).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MshOuObxY

Edit: Currently laughing at the sheer number of people on Twitter claiming that "accidental offside" doesn't exist in rugby

That ball was going to hit him anyway, but he probably shouldnt have grabbed it then dropped it with a "Oops i done hosed up" look slapped all over his face

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
During the entire tour, The Lions managed to pull ahead of NZ for a total on 3 minutes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
On the flip side. NZ managed to draw a tour by only being behind for 3 minutes total.

Bottle job :colbert:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

On a happier note, the Waratahs were beaten 40-27 by the Jaguares.
What's surprising about this is that it was in Sydney.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Reade has the most tact of any sportsman I can recall seeing. There is no way in hell I'd be able to show that level of restraint after what was pretty clearly a blown call.

For me as a non-British, non-Kiwi rugby fan, though, I thought it was a hilarious ending. The expressions on the player's faces, oh man.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Except it was the right call, even if his process in reaching it (i.e. first blowing a penalty and then taking it back) was crap.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I can see why it could be correct, yes. But at the time Reade had no way of telling that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
That's what I was talking about, how he managed to avoid losing his cool despite it. Truly, a sport of gentlemen.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Apollodorus posted:

Truly, a sport of gentlemen.
and also Dylan Hartley.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Except it was the right call, even if his process in reaching it (i.e. first blowing a penalty and then taking it back) was crap.

But then he should've just let play continue as the ABs were playing advantage just fine and looking like scoring?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The offside guy played the ball. For as long as I've been aware accidental offside is for when the player doesn't; like getting the ball kicked into him or being run into by the ball carrier. Or is that not the actual rule?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The offside guy played the ball. For as long as I've been aware accidental offside is for when the player doesn't; like getting the ball kicked into him or being run into by the ball carrier. Or is that not the actual rule?

They're choosing to ignore that fact because it doesn't support their bias.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

It's a month to Ospreys vs Bath, if any goons want to sit pitchside, and watch the greatest Fly-Half in Wales play against Dan Biggar.

I think a few people were interested in it when it was a potential semi-final, rather than a sham Friendly?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

The Barbarians have secured a Player Release Agreement with Premiership Rugby, allowing them to field the their choice of Aviva Premiership players against New Zealand on November 4th, and they plan to select The Lions team that played in the 2nd and 3rd test. Because the game takes place the day before the International Window, the players' respective countries don't even have a say in selection. Anyone currently playing in England is up for grabs. If The Pro 12 also consent, The Barbarians can select the entire team.

The only players not currently covered by the agreement are :
Jonathan Davies, Jonny Sexton, Conor Murray, Sean O'Brien, Sam Warburton, Alun Wyn Jones, Tasdjkasd Furlong.

Robbie Deans will coach the squad.

-

Even if The Pro 12 Guinness Pro 18 decline, fringe players like Laidlaw and North would be eligible to play, because of their club contracts.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Guardian says England isn't releasing players though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Double checked both stories:

Western Mail says Premiership Rugby (who control the players' club contracts) have given it the go-ahead.
The Guardian says the RFU (who control the England international team) wish to block the release, contesting that it does fall within the International Release Window, after all.

So I guess this is instance #98324 of England ruining rugby for everyone else?