Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

Happy 25th of May. GNU Terry Pratchett. (and do you know where your towel is?)

I am protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Rock n' Roll. It's a very bad joke not up to his standards.

He more than made up for it with the band name "We're Certainly Dwarfs."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mean and turf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Mean and turf.

But you're not wearing your hat backwards in a menacing way, yo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skippy McPants posted:

He more than made up for it with the band name "We're Certainly Dwarfs."

I had been wondering what the joke there was for literally years.

...but obviously They Might Be Dwarfs, and in fact they certainly are dwarfs. Holy poo poo. How did I miss that?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...but obviously They Might Be Dwarfs, and in fact they certainly are dwarfs. Holy poo poo. How did I miss that?

You mean They Might Be Giants, of course.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, it's literally just reversing each word.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Don't feel bad. It took me literally a decade to work out "Surreptitious Fabric."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Don't feel bad. It took me literally a decade to work out "Surreptitious Fabric."

I felt so clever when I got that one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Discworld Convention 2018 memberships went on sale today at 7pm and the site bombed under the load. Over 400 registered in the first thirty minutes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cptn_dr posted:

I felt so clever when I got that one.

Velvet Underground ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Velvet Underground ?

Correct. All the Variously Named Band's names come from somewhere similar. The one that gets most people is The Blots, which I have no problem spoiling for you because it's quite obscure: it's the Inkspots.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mllaneza posted:

Velvet Underground ?

Yup. Still not as good as The Whom.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

Correct. All the Variously Named Band's names come from somewhere similar. The one that gets most people is The Blots, which I have no problem spoiling for you because it's quite obscure: it's the Inkspots.

Do the Inkspots make any sense in this context though? (I can't remember how they were mentioned in the book.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do the Inkspots make any sense in this context though? (I can't remember how they were mentioned in the book.)

It's just one of the names of the band that isn't the Band With Rocks In.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jerry Cotton posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stains_(Los_Angeles_band) ??

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Ink Spots were quite influential about the time Terry was a small child. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a reference to doo-wop music he heard on the radio or played by his parents.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just started reading Discworld finally and am about 25% through Guards! Guards!

It's so good.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just started reading Discworld finally and am about 25% through Guards! Guards!

It's so good.

Welcome, friend. We are all cursed and now you are too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I was moving all my books into my new shelves and I remembered I lent my copy of Men At Arms to a friend a decade ago and never got it back :argh:

My OCD!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

iajanus posted:

I was moving all my books into my new shelves and I remembered I lent my copy of Men At Arms to a friend a decade ago and never got it back :argh:

My OCD!

You order by publication date? Pleb.

(Nice collection :) )

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

hanales posted:

You order by publication date? Pleb.

(Nice collection :) )

It was the only way that satisfied my OCD sufficiently.

Although now that you mention it.........

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

iajanus posted:

It was the only way that satisfied my OCD sufficiently.

Although now that you mention it.........

Well if you THINK about it, you rarely read them in publication order, rather by series...

laughingsatan.gif

vvv Clearly he needs 2 more sets of the books so he can order them by publication, by series, and by chronological order.

It's the only way to be sure.

hanales fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Read them in chronological order, placing the middle sections of Night Watch pre-series and the rest in the middle of Thief of Time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've been picking up the little collector's hardbacks, and I'm mildly annoyed that putting them in publication order breaks the labelled collections up.

EDIT: Also I am mildly annoyed that I don't know when the next set will be published.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

I've been picking up the little collector's hardbacks, and I'm mildly annoyed that putting them in publication order breaks the labelled collections up.

EDIT: Also I am mildly annoyed that I don't know when the next set will be published.

Gollancz were able to publish the first half because they have the rights to publish that set of books - Transworld control everything after Jingo, if I recall correctly. Unless Gollancz and Transworld can come to some form of agreement, then it's unlikely to ever happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

iajanus posted:

My OCD!

OK, now where's the other six books?

The Last Hero, TAMAHER and the first four Tiffany Aching books. :colbert:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Also missing are the bad science of Discworld books.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

iajanus posted:

My OCD!

I'm impressed that you have all the Josh Kirby covers. Those are getting increasingly hard to find in my area.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I haven't read any Pratchett since a was a wee babby. Where do I start again? Should I go chronologically - are all of the books "good"?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Personally I would say start at Mort and go forward chronologically from there. The first three aren't really bad books, but they were written before Pratchett really settled on the tone and style for Discworld. They're more direct fantasy parodies than anything else.

It's not really vital to read them in chronological order, but you do get to see the world and characters slowly evolve over time that way. After Mort I don't think there are any books people would describe as bad up until some of the very last ones, but you can always skip to the next one if you're not enjoying it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just read Thief of time first like I did.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

anatomi posted:

I haven't read any Pratchett since a was a wee babby. Where do I start again? Should I go chronologically - are all of the books "good"?

What other things do you enjoy reading? There are various good entry points, but which one is right for you depends on what else you like to read.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The first one I read was The Truth but I usually lend out Guards! Guards! as the starting point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Crumpet posted:

Gollancz were able to publish the first half because they have the rights to publish that set of books - Transworld control everything after Jingo, if I recall correctly. Unless Gollancz and Transworld can come to some form of agreement, then it's unlikely to ever happen.

They already did that, and published four books after Jingo.

And, having said that, I now see pictures of the next four, up to The Truth, which are set to come out sometime this fall. So now we know!

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

They already did that, and published four books after Jingo.

And, having said that, I now see pictures of the next four, up to The Truth, which are set to come out sometime this fall. So now we know!

I didn't know that they continued it, that's great news - I have the rest of the books, so will definitely look to pick those up.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Strange Cares posted:

I'm impressed that you have all the Josh Kirby covers. Those are getting increasingly hard to find in my area.

I got lucky insofar as I had one or two as a kid and then when I was 17 I got stuck in hospital for 4 weeks (and unbeknownst to me the doctors had told my parents I wasn't going to be leaving so they were a little overemotional and generous...) and my mum went and bought me every single book to that point (up to Thief of Time, I think?). I read them all while I was in there and have kept them all since :D. All except Men at Arms :argh:.

My first book was Equal Rites and it was OK, but I much preferred Mort. It took me a fair while to go back and read the first couple and I'm fairly certain had I read them first I may not have become as obsessed with them.

Jedit posted:

It's on my to-do list, I missed the Tiffany Aching books when they first came out as I foolishly thought they wouldn't be as interesting. My mistake...

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Holy hell in a hardbiscuit, I'm still finding threads that run through this series.

I enjoyed the hell out of Raising Steam when I read it. It's decently fun, as most of the Moist Von Lipwig novels are, and it works well as a stopping-point for the series, in case his daughter doesn't really do anything with it. But periodically, I'll load one of the audiobooks onto my phone, and listen to it during slow periods at work. Today, it was Reaper Man. I got to the part where Bill Door finally meets the mysterious blacksmith, the artificier who created the Combine Harvester - Ned Simnel. The connection didn't even occur to me when I first read Raising Steam, because it'd been so long since I read Reaper Man that it didn't ring any bells.

That's one of the things I've always liked about the Discworld books in general, though - they feel, despite their clearly fantastical elements, like there's an actual world happening in between the stories - the stories are us looking at a particular sequence of events, but things don't just jump from story to story.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I absolutely love the turns of phrases and ridiculous attempts at spelling. It's a huge change from all the books where everything is perfect.

"More highly bred than a hilltop bakery" is pretty funny, just started the second Watch book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, hey, the Gift Editions of the Tiffany Aching books do in fact line up perfectly next to the Discworld Hardback Library, at least as far as height goes.