Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MASS SHIFTING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You're starting to make it sound like a fetish, Rhyno.

Any more news on the MakeToys defensor Ko? No, I don't want to read that loving thread again.

TheDK posted:

Ride together, die together. 'nuff said.
The schedule has been updated, on that note. Update it with your hotel room when you get a chance. You and the John Cena fan are sharing a room, right?

Also I am sad my Iron factory ebay purchases won't arrive in time :(

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You can call both of those things in the picture either teapots or teakettles, I think. It's an extra layer of idiom or whatever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pot_calling_the_kettle_black

But originally it was a frying pan and a teakettle...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

Any more news on the MakeToys defensor Ko? No, I don't want to read that loving thread again.
The schedule has been updated, on that note. Update it with your hotel room when you get a chance. You and the John Cena fan are sharing a room, right?

MASS SHIFTING

So far only on Guarda prototype has been shown and another announced.

Someone on TFW taught me that you can use the same Paypal/Ebay coupon more than once if you have multiple Paypal accounts. So I might be able to score TFM Motoromaster and Leonidas this month and save like $30+ on them.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Added. Also I do NOT eat my steak well done, or with loving ketchup. Not every American is literal Trump garbage, just most of us.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll shift YOUR mass!

...nope, doesn't work.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

the Rock.

People consistently fail to understand that not having a preference for a directorial style does not correlate 100% with that director's actual quality of output. It's fine to not like Michael Bay's very specific flavor of what Umberto Eco would call "hyperreality" but you don't get two of your films into the Criterion Collection on accident.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

3 posted:

People consistently fail to understand that not having a preference for a directorial style does not correlate 100% with that director's actual quality of output. It's fine to not like Michael Bay's very specific flavor of what Umberto Eco would call "hyperreality" but you don't get two of your films into the Criterion Collection on accident.

Wait, two? I know of Armageddon, what's the other?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, two? I know of Armageddon, what's the other?

The Rock

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Rock is a flawless film.

Edit: I broke up with a girl because she said it was a lovely film.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The Rock is a flawless film.

Edit: I broke up with a girl because she said it was a lovely film.

I recently learned that Aaron Sorkin was an (uncredited) contributor to the screenplay.
How much of an effect he had we'll never know I guess.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Here's a sample of what we're looking at. If we didn't have the wedding to pay for first we'd probably toss an offer in on this one tomorrow.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6611-Winchester-Rd-Fort-Wayne-IN-46819/73191469_zpid/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Captain Invictus posted:

I'll shift YOUR mass!

...nope, doesn't work.
Works here. You wouldn't want to do it.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

3 posted:

The Criterion Collection included The Rock and Armageddon because at the time they were trying to balance their "auteur classics" mission statement with releases that represented modern mainstream filmmaking. As time went on and it became clear they weren't able to compete monetarily with the big studios (and said studios began to prefer to release their big money films themselves and not through a third party), the Criterion Collection shifted almost wholly to classic/foreign/"great directors" material. Bay's inclusion in the Criterion Collection is not any kind of "he's as good as the rest of these directors" endorsement. It was Criterion trying to make more money than usual. So you're right, it wasn't by accident, but you're wrong as to the reasons for doing it. It's also pretty much inarguable that The Rock is by far Bay's best film, in part because of Connery and Harris delivering top tier performances and probably because he was reined in somewhat by more experienced and more talented veterans in production positions (particularly Bruckheimer) due to it being his first major production outside of music videos.

People like to call Bay a hack, but that's wrong. Hacks don't have distinct styles or trademark approaches, which Bay does have. The problem is he doesn't have much beyond that. Bay has one or two visual tricks he uses over and over in every film he makes (primarily the layering effect during action scenes and his trademark camera spin that people try to duplicate but rarely match), and he's really good at managing huge setpiece shoots and still coming in on time and under budget. That's about it in terms of his strengths as a director. He has never managed to tell a story about human beings in any believable sense. He tries almost every time, but fails spectacularly at it, especially in the maudlin Armageddon end sequences and the hilariously inept "Hey it worked for Titanic" approach he took on Pearl Harbor. His budget's bigger, his stunts are more expensive, and his runtimes are longer, but he's pretty much just been remaking his "I'd Do Anything For Love" Meat Loaf music video over and over for two and a half decades at this point.

tl;dr - Bay isn't a hack, that's a false criticism, but as a director he has the depth of an oil puddle on a driveway.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Forget it, Doctor. It's Indiana.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Keldroc posted:

tl;dr - Bay isn't a hack, that's a false criticism, but as a director he has the depth of an oil puddle on a driveway.

I've always found the "CC added Bay films to make money" argument to be disingenuous since there has never been anything more than anecdotal evidence to back that up and every single CC release is packed with literal essays justifying the inclusion of a specific film. I think it's poor taste to come up with wild conspiracy theories on how Armageddon was a cheap grab for money by CC, for example, when the release itself basically says straight up "this is in here because it's the quintessential genre piece."

Likewise I don't think you're giving Bay enough credit for his music video background since I think that is what most informs his cinematography in the sense that music videos traditionally tend to shy away from the cinema verite style of filmmaking most audiences tend to associate with the silver screen. Folks like Michael Bay, Michel Gondry, Joseph Kahn, Spike Jonze etc. I feel all have very specific strengths that are informed by the surrealism inherent in the music video style of production, but also puts their styles directly at odds with the more traditional, continuity/narrative-focused adherents of the craft.

Now, keep in mind, I don't actually like Bay that much as a director, but I do admire his directing chops the same way I would admire Jodorowsky, for example. Bay's films are interesting to me because I don't think there's a single film of his I've seen that I didn't love or despise; I really liked Dark of the Moon, while I thought Revenge of the Fallen was execrable garbage. I think The Rock is legitimately one of the all time greats, while I consider Pearl Harbor to be the filmic equivalent of a war crime. But I can't deny that while he has a very laissez-faire attitude toward overall continuity of narrative in his films that many find confusing or downright stupid, his exacting approach towards the composition of individual scenes is extremely good and worth examining. I have known folks who have worked for him at various points in time who have all consistently agreed that Bay is one of the most meticulous, detail-oriented directors on set, sometimes to the point of putting off people who aren't used to his almost Kubrick-esque dictatorial style of direction.

Since this is the Transformers thread, I will at the very least explain why I do quite like his interpretation of the Transformers films and why no one else (except maybe Jodorowsky) could really handle them, because at its core the premise behind Transformers as a franchise is absurd. It's a 24-minute toy commercial for children enabled solely by Reagan-era deregulation of television advertising standards, completely bereft of any real ideological core other than "good guys good, bad guys bad, drink yr ovaltine." The Bay films, for all their strengths and weaknesses, perfectly illustrate how well this kind of vulgar ideological void would work when transposed into our actual working reality. Which is to say, of course, that it would be an unending nightmare world of unjustifiable and surreal hyperviolence.

tl;dr I don't personally like Michael Bay, but I do admire that he somehow elevated the theater of the absurd into the mainstream through apparent force of will (and explosions).

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Found Perceptor, and his Titan master was assembled wrong, so the head is stuck in the port. He also feels real loose and weird.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Michael Bay loves West Side Story, specifically how it creates different layers of reality and stylization for the characters, gradually bringing the audience in until they just accept the absurdity of everything.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I think the Transformers live action movies are butts. That's my criticism. Thank you.

Edit: Clarification - Not the good kind of butts.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 13, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

Found Perceptor, and his Titan master was assembled wrong, so the head is stuck in the port. He also feels real loose and weird.

Yeah, you'd think he'd lock in lot place better.

The headmaster on mine is fine, though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think the Bay movies don't really work as "turn off your brain" movies because their plots are usually so convoluted and the imagery is doing a lot of the narrative work, a lot more than in most blockbusters. You've really got to work to make sense of it all, because your mind naturally wants to create linearity with narrative. They're like the movie equivalent of...like, ROTF Jetfire. Something that is "supposed" to be fun according to its market and what other things like it are doing, but the creators had something different in mind. I don't mind because it's been clear for a decade that this is what they want to do.

As a fan of wrestling I see a lot of corollaries between TF fans and Bay films and Wrestling fans and WWE. People hate Roman Reigns' push or the WWE style of booking, but they keep expecting it to change because of how much "better" it would be, irrespective to all indications that this won't change. We can't have nice things. Except in comics and toys and third-party stuff and nostalgia. (A lot!)

In other news, I've got GT Op-Ex, MMC Carnifex, and MMC Calidus waiting for me at home! :pervert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw the first bay movie in theaters and it was okay. I only watched the rifftrax of the second, and saw the third in theaters on the condition that I could order a pitcher of margarita while watching it. the first one was not perfect but is far and away the best of them. you could make a decent movie out of it by cutting certain scenes like the entire black hacker plot. The third movie was an insane slog, like it's as if Peter Jackson gave Bay advice on movie padding. Some cool scenes but then just total garbage padding for a ton of it. I have not seen the recent two and am better for it

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Found out something interesting today about BBTS. I was a little pissed the Blitzwing/Octone pack I ordered hadn't come yet, and I didn't even have a tracking number.

In case this happens to you, a little known tip - validate that you actually ordered it and didn't just add it to cart! Most online retailers won't provide tracking information if you don't buy something!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I'm going to just say my order of Bay TF movies by "Most liked" to worst:

5-1-3-4-2

So there. I get the hate for the movies, but this last one at least feels like he or someone involved was trying to do something with it, they didn't succeed, but they tried.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yeah, you'd think he'd lock in lot place better.

The headmaster on mine is fine, though.

My G1 Perceptor was kind of floppy, so while it bothers me, I'm also kind of nostalgic for it. It's weird.

And my Titan Master is like properly hosed. He came with two left arms, and the little rectangle of plastic that is supposed to be on the front of the arm is on the back. That's pushing the face mask out at an angle so the TM's chest can't hold the TM's head. I could shave the plastic on the arm down now, but I think the damage is done.

Hey DT, can Hasbro just send me a new Titan Master for Perceptor if I called them? Or at least the body, legs, and right arm of one?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The one time I contacted them about a wonky TF they just told me to return it to the retailer. That wasn't possible, but the story had a happy ending anyway. May as well ask them.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Customer service is usually very good from what I'm told. It wouldn't hurt to call

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just don't enjoy the Transformers movies guys

It's like having someone light off fireworks and shake tinfoil in front of my face for 4 hours straight. It just gives me a headache and makes me want to rest my eyes and ears.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Plus all the sexism, racism, and uncomfortable sleaziness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh drat, the Chaos on Velocitron set is back in Toys R Us in Baton Rouge. Might have to do store pickup and get one of my friends to pick it up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

A lovely Reporter posted:

Plus all the sexism, racism, and uncomfortable sleaziness.

As a man once said:

"I wanted to rub the human face in its own vomit and force it to look in the mirror."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh drat, the Chaos on Velocitron set is back in Toys R Us in Baton Rouge. Might have to do store pickup and get one of my friends to pick it up.

People are reporting them showing up on trucks again. Some dude snagged all of them at the local TRU yesterday.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Rhyno posted:

People are reporting them showing up on trucks again. Some dude snagged all of them at the local TRU yesterday.

I'm sure that person is a decent chap.

So I did a preorder back in march with a store I'd never heard about called Cmdstore and completely forgot about it so when the charges showed up last week I thought I might have gotten hit with credit card fraud. Fun bit that but glad it wasn't. :v:

Twin Twist is pretty neat and looks like he likes to give his younger brother noogies but will stick up for him if anybody tries any smack talk.

Windblade looks just like Windblade and I'm impressed that the face works with this head type. It's an extensive as hell remold but the plane mode suffers from visible hand syndrome. So par for the course, really.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

As a man once said:

"I wanted to rub the human face in its own vomit and force it to look in the mirror."

It makes a lot of sense that Humans in the films are revealed to be Satan's polyps.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Anora posted:

I'm going to just say my order of Bay TF movies by "Most liked" to worst:

5-1-3-4-2

So there. I get the hate for the movies, but this last one at least feels like he or someone involved was trying to do something with it, they didn't succeed, but they tried.

My order is 3 - 5 - 1 - 4 - 2, but let's face it, Bay is working from some loving terrible scripts that could really do with about 20 minutes hacked from them each

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

First Transformers movie is unwatchable. The rest are pretty rad.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Eh, 1 is the only one I really like and it's really mediocre. The rest suck rear end.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TFCon exclusive Calidus

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooooh, I wonder if he'll make it to TFNation too.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, back to the Transformers movies are only ironically disgusting argument again. Even if it was true it would make him a huge loving weirdo for putting that stuff in a kids movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got Perceptor and Kup and both of them are nifty!