Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I'm going to admit that it was kinda 4am when i watched the last one, so i didn't actually remember what you asked for.

But here's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
That's perfect.

As much as I enjoy the art style that Hollow Knight eventually stuck with for the main game, part of me kinda wishes it stuck with that semi-surrealist style that the concept art had. Then again, if it did then I doubt it'd have the charm it has now, nor would people generally approach the game.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I meant to get the game while it was on steam sale and I totally forgot. I'm kinda bummed I missed it, but at the same time I'm not sure I could get very far into the game. It looks like it has some really hard platforming segments and I am not a great platformer.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ousire posted:

I meant to get the game while it was on steam sale and I totally forgot. I'm kinda bummed I missed it, but at the same time I'm not sure I could get very far into the game. It looks like it has some really hard platforming segments and I am not a great platformer.

The game is built very well for easing you in and gradually building challenge. The hardest sections are optional content. There is some challenge in both bosses and platforming but I wouldn't say it's impossible - I mean, I felt that I'm not a great player either and I managed it.

It's also a lot of very good content - and a lot of it - for its price, I highly recommend it.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So i learned a little something interesting thanks to my buddy TorpidTypist

http://i.imgur.com/tmXf3pF.gifv

Bretta apparently has no thoughts at all if you hit her with the Dream Nail on rescue. I don't think the devs expected you to have it when finding her.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Highwang posted:

So i learned a little something interesting thanks to my buddy TorpidTypist

http://i.imgur.com/tmXf3pF.gifv

Bretta apparently has no thoughts at all if you hit her with the Dream Nail on rescue. I don't think the devs expected you to have it when finding her.

You could also interpret it as the orange plague having hollowed her mind out completely, which is also a decent excuse why she becomes so obsessed with you when you rescue her. Literally nothing except the guy who rescued her is in there now.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 12, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

You could also interpret it as the orange plague having hollowed her mind out completely, which is also a decent excuse why she becomes so obsessed with you when you rescue her. Literally nothing except the guy who rescued her is in there now.

But you can dreamnail other hollowed out people.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It could just be a mistake, yeah. Don't take the Dark Souls comparison too far, where every detail has to be plot significant and nothing is a glitch.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It could just be a mistake, yeah. Don't take the Dark Souls comparison too far, where every detail has to be plot significant and nothing is a glitch.

I'm not saying it's not a glitch, I'm just saying it's a possible interpretation. :shrug:

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Wang, you need to either re-equip the cash vacuum badge, or stop leaving it laying all over the ground. You're killing me, Smalls!

Also, I have been trying to figure out what the Dream Nail reminds me of.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

KieranWalker posted:

Wang, you need to either re-equip the cash vacuum badge, or stop leaving it laying all over the ground. You're killing me, Smalls!

It doesn't actually take that long for collecting geo to be pointless. You only need about 30,000 geo to buy everything, and that sounds like a lot, but as we get further into the game the more options for getting big hunks of money become available, and the more money we've already collected. Relic Seeker Lemm can cover a huge amount of geo alone (over 20,000). Once you get around this point, the cash vacuum becomes something taking up a spot a more valuable charm could be using.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 13, 2017

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

dancingbears posted:

It doesn't actually take that long for collecting geo to be pointless. You only need about 30,000 geo to buy everything, and that sounds like a lot, but as we get further into the game the more options for getting big hunks of money become available, and the more money we've already collected. Relic Seeker Lemm can cover a huge amount of geo alone (over 20,000). Once you get around this point, the cash vacuum becomes something taking up a spot a more valuable charm could be using.

While you are completely correct, the OCD completionist in me can't stand to just leave it lying on the ground regardless of how useless it is.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

KieranWalker posted:

Also, I have been trying to figure out what the Dream Nail reminds me of.

This is a weird double edged sword of doing an LP, cause meticulously collecting all Geo picked up can be boring as poo poo to watch as well.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Don't worry about picking up Geo, let the completionists suffer.

The only point in the game to ever be worried about geo is when you've been dying a lot and not just that but also losing your shade that had all your geo on it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

dancingbears posted:

Highwang posted:

This is a weird double edged sword of doing an LP, cause meticulously collecting all Geo picked up can be boring as poo poo to watch as well.

Yeah, that's fair.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Episode 12- Isma's Tear

Today's episode is a weird mish-mash of stuff I just recorded in a hazy fatigue late at night. Basically I clean up most of Crystal Caverns, meet our good buddy the Dung Knight again, and also die but totally space out and forget to show off the unique "bloodstain" retrieval mechanic. We also meet a few interesting NPCs outside of our good friend the Dung Defender, namely Emilia. I find Emilia interesting because she's somehow the only remaining survivor out of the entirety of the old population of Hollownest, which says a lot about the old kingdom.

That being said, I do have some news about the state of the LP. I recently got a job and I start in about 2 weeks, which means this shut-in doesn't have infinite hours to run LPs anymore. This doesn't change the condition of the LP in general, but I did have to take the poll results a bit early to prepare a backlog of content for when I actually start working. So this basically means the poll results are going to be thus: Get the double-jump, explore the outskirts, explore deepnest, explore the garden, with maybe 1-2 bonus areas weaved inbetween. I also recorded like 5 loving hours of footage, so that's gonna be roughly a good month and a half of content as I get acclimated to my new job.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
When you were at the King's Station, the stag beetle mentioned that he almost remembered where his home is. I assume that's an area we'll find later? Because now I'm worried that we'll have to fight an evil version of our friend. :ohdear:

He also said the king was bright and glowy? So I'll just make a guess that the king is/was a firefly.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Congrats on the new job! Also, how dare you get a new job and maybe make updates on our free entertainment take longer? :argh:

So is that like a shield hiding up the hollow knight when in the acid, or is the white line supposed to be him paddling around?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ousire posted:

He also said the king was bright and glowy? So I'll just make a guess that the king is/was a firefly.

This is a good bet but has an altogether more unusual explanation.
You do see the king's symbol from time to time in the game, though - it looks like a four-pronged fork, or elongated crown.

It's actually gonna be a long-rear end time before we get concrete backstory about some things. Some of it will be in those 'kingdom outskirts' mentioned, some of it is from the moth after collecting a bunch of essence, some of it is from right near the end of the game.

"So like, where did the King come from" is a conversation that's 100% missable from a totally missable NPC.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I, also, Dream Nail'd the singer without knowing what it did and had a fairly similar reaction. That's honestly one of the few things in this game I'd call a dick move, since there's no indication it's going to do that.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I beat the game last night and really enjoyed it, barring one or two things; thanks for showing it off.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the game as done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Oh hey, you got Isma's tear.

Now I can post this.

http://imgur.com/25R4pjh

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh Leg Eater, you're such a card. I just can't stay mad at you!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, you keep your shinespark going over screen transitions? That's a puzzle ingredient and no mistake.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009
Mmm, one thing I'm wondering if you're aware of, Highwang, since you didn't mention it in video. After you deal with the whole mess of spirits for a wheel tree and it grows, you can use the dream nail on it to get some random bits of lore. It's fragmented and vague but does tend to give a bit of context on the local area.

Mind you, you seem to dislike lore as a concept so it may not be as much of a reward for you as it is for me.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Glalev posted:

Mmm, one thing I'm wondering if you're aware of, Highwang, since you didn't mention it in video. After you deal with the whole mess of spirits for a wheel tree and it grows, you can use the dream nail on it to get some random bits of lore. It's fragmented and vague but does tend to give a bit of context on the local area.

Mind you, you seem to dislike lore as a concept so it may not be as much of a reward for you as it is for me.

Yeah someone at YT yelled at me for that.

I did the one in this new recording, and the rest will be done in the "road to 100%" vids later in the LP

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I can understand the dislike of "lore", since it could either enhance the story of the game by providing plenty of leading questions to the player, but it can also be lazily done and just be there as ornamentation.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
You mention in the video that you thought the crystals where you need to shinespark are a weird thing to use as a telegraph. It never struck me as odd when I saw it since I always assumed that since when you shinespark crystals grow around you that they were left over from bugs who had used the path before.

Also really enjoying the lp and congrats on the job!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The way I interpret dung knights dream nail quote is that he didn't think there were other people left.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He seemed surprised by you coming into his place, and delighted by your fighting prowess. He also didn't bleed orange, as I recall.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update: Episode 13- Ancient Basin

Its double jump baby!

Today we explore the Ancient Basin, which is a rather unremarkable area in general. We get a lot of nice things here, such as Pale Ore and another item for 3000g, but in terms of enemy and environment design I find this place somewhat unremarkable. I can see why this area had such little attention though since its meant to be basically a footnote to other areas that you are travelling from and toward. The double jump though is incredibly satisfying to use and gives you a great amount of height, but you also have to account for the slight dip on start-up if you want to do some cutesy poo poo with it. I really don't have much else to say about this place though, namely because there are two other end-game areas that link up to this place and we have no means to open them right now.

I also hope you enjoy Travis' merciless campaign to discredit me via lore.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

NEVERMIND

Philippe fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 24, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the question of 'wait, are we near the end of the game?' made me laugh

this game gives you your 15 bucks worth, and then some

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Double jump is always the best upgrade in any metroidvania. But this one in particular feels really good.

All lore is canon.
Why do you hate pizza, Highwang? What has pizza ever done to you?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 24, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, i had a super easy time with the broken vessel, etc., because if you just equip a bunch of charms that boost your swing speed/range/whatever then you can just go ham and beat the hell out of it while it can't do much to react. one of the few bosses in the game that you can actively just stunlock due to the times when it slumps over every now and then giving you even more time to crank out more damage

one of the good examples of how much the game lets you vary your playstyles

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Only two of the five knights? No, it's most, probably all of them. I'm guessing you meant Dung Defender, and False Knight's armor? But Isma is also one of the knights, and we saw her corpse. There's another corpse in the Queen's Garden. And then there's that debatable one. Honestly, I don't see why it wouldn't be her.

Also, I've repeatedly climbed out of Ancient Basin without doublejump. It's not THAT bad. :shepface:

EDIT: Oh, and I was yelling at the screen to use the Dream Nail on those crawlers when you were at low heath and soul. They're so slow! They're perfect for beating forever with the Dream Nail for infinite health! Jeez.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 24, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dancingbears posted:

EDIT: Oh, and I was yelling at the screen to use the Dream Nail on those crawlers when you were at low heath and soul. They're so slow! They're perfect for beating forever with the Dream Nail for infinite health! Jeez.

People keep forgetting that the dreamnail is a thing. It allows you to siphon magic while giving you lore!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Lost Kin is actually pretty easy to cheese - using any kind of poison aura pops his summons in one shot and without them he's pretty easy to damage-race. Hell, he's the only one of the refights I beat.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Jesus man, why do you hate pizza? Do you hate puppies and rainbows and shark week too? You poor bastard

I love the double jump animation. Those wings are pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Hey Highwang. That isn't the end of the Dung Defender and that little hidden room. There's ANOTHER later thing there you missed.

I'm not sure what the trigger is, but if you come back later you can find him sleeping with the poop statues. And murmuring about Isma.

• Locked thread