Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

KidDynamite posted:

That must be terrifying after doing the work yourself. Let us know how that tune goes after revisions. You going through mountune for everything?

Yeah it was no fun. Good news is, car is fine, fixed the issue with the charge pipe (will be replacing terrible rubber stock elbow pipes with silicon soon). Ran some preliminary pulls, and while I struggled with traffic to get clean logs, the results are looking...very good. I am indeed working with Randy at Mountune for the tuning, which was included in the MRX package. So far its been a great experience.

Don't want to quote any numbers yet, but the car is a loving savage. Wheelspin in 2nd gear from 4k to redline. I will get some logs and vdynos and stuff and post em here when I can be sure of the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Or you could just use your phone like a normal person

Phone is for podcasts. I don't want the music eating space on my hard drive.

I have a dedicated mp3 player from Cowon that I used to just plug. Eventually I got fed up not being able to play half of my music (flac) and just converted the lot to mp3s on a jump drive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just buy a 128gb phone/micro sd and never worry about having to constantly bring in the jump drive.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
:10bux: a month for a music subscription will change your life. I might as well be a shill for google Music, because their algorithms fit me like a glove. You can download plenty of music to avoid burning mobile data, too. It will change your life.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There are people who don't just upload their entire music collection to google music/iTunes match free tiers?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Spotify is my choice because it works through CarPlay. The discover weekly playlist is pretty cool.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Let's see, spend a few hundred dollars on a larger hard drive phone or waste a bunch of extra money on streaming services and data every month or buy a $20 USB thumb drive once that you leave in the car and forget even exists.

Seems pretty clear to me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I see your point but streaming music doesn't use much data. I don't know of any data plans in the us that wouldn't have enough data to let you stream music over iTunes match or google music continuously 24 hours a day for a whole month.

The UI for exploring a USB drive in the fiesta is horrid. It works but it's clunky and messed up, especially with a big library. An iPod or a phone plugged in to the USB is much better because you can use the UI of the iPod or phone to navigate the music library.

The ford UI does some weird stuff like ordering songs alphabetically by title, no matter the tags or what. It's a real pain. It's also slow, the UI isn't consistent where they put the back button, etc...

Edit: perhaps I'm a bit used to an unlimited data plan. Turns out that streaming all month 24 hours a day would use 82gb assuming 320kbps streaming. It's about 120mb per hour.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 13, 2017

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I see your point but streaming music doesn't use much data. I don't know of any data plans in the us that wouldn't have enough data to let you stream music over iTunes match or google music continuously 24 hours a day for a whole month.

The UI for exploring a USB drive in the fiesta is horrid. It works but it's clunky and messed up, especially with a big library. An iPod or a phone plugged in to the USB is much better because you can use the UI of the iPod or phone to navigate the music library.

The ford UI does some weird stuff like ordering songs alphabetically by title, no matter the tags or what. It's a real pain. It's also slow, the UI isn't consistent where they put the back button, etc...

Edit: perhaps I'm a bit used to an unlimited data plan. Turns out that streaming all month 24 hours a day would use 82gb assuming 320kbps streaming. It's about 120mb per hour.

I use Google Fi and pay $10/gig of data. For every bit of that data that I do not use, I get credited back on my bill so I try to keep my monthly data usage under 500mb which keeps my monthly bill under $30. Not that this is the cellphone thread or anything, but somewhat necessary to mention since the data + subscription costs of some of those services alone would cost me hundreds of extra dollars per year.

Have to admit I haven't had any of the issues you've had with using My Fort Touch + a USB device. Mine is fairly quick, not enough to ever notice an issue. Usually everything is just on shuffle which I enjoy most but if I want to hear something specific, search works very well so I'm never just sitting there scrolling through alphabetically like you mentioned. Granted the library is only like ~120GB, but that's plenty of storage for me to rotate music in/out of over time, I don't need my entire collection with me at all times.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just stream everything, owning your music is so old fashioned you dinosaur!*

*has given $8000 and 200 FICO points to telecom companies over the past 5 years

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I have the old iPod plugged in to one of the USB ports and sometimes myfordtouch even randomly has it indexed so I can search it by voice! Wow!

Shuffle always works though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Someone backed up into the left rear corner of my GTI yesterday at extremely low speed, and the only damage seems to be the bumper is off it's clips or screws or whatever holds it in place around the taillight surround. And a little paint damage in the corner there if your eyes are sharp.

Does anyone have any info on removing the bumper cover and DIY'ing this? I found one forum where a guy described what to do, but no pictures or anything. I'm sure I can get in there and figure it out, but I'd at least like to know if I need some kind of weird fastener tool or a long socket extension before I take apart my daily driver.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Just wrap your shoe in a towel and kick it real hard.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

GutBomb posted:

Just wrap your shoe in a towel and kick it real hard.

This legit worked on getting a fender back in to place on a fleet Fiesta I used to drive (other delivery driver bonked it off, not me).

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If I add the car is a lease and needs to be turned in in 1.5 years, is that still yall's recommendation?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd white sharpie it and push it back in.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
If you are hesitant to kick your car, a rubber mallet with a towel or something would be more, uh, precise. In a way. You won't harm a thing more than it already is unless you go nuts and kick in a tail light.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or go see a PDR guy and throw him 50-100 bucks if you're worried about loving it up yourself

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I had the rear bumper off of my 17 GTI while installing the hitch. Have you tried simply pushing it back in? The latches aren't difficult to figure out and there are a few guides available on removing the assembly (look for a hitch installation guide).

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

two_beer_bishes posted:

I had the rear bumper off of my 17 GTI while installing the hitch. Have you tried simply pushing it back in? The latches aren't difficult to figure out and there are a few guides available on removing the assembly (look for a hitch installation guide).

Do you scrape your hitch on many low clearances? I've wanted a hitch for bikes, but I'm worried how much I would run it into the ground.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PabloBOOM posted:

Do you scrape your hitch on many low clearances? I've wanted a hitch for bikes, but I'm worried how much I would run it into the ground.

It's too high up to scrape anything! We bought this one for our 1UP bike rack and it's perfect. It's not the cheapest option and installation took me a couple hours but I would gladly do it all again. We had the other kind on our 13 Golf that was $100 and took 10min to install...that one hung pretty low and I scraped that on everything.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

two_beer_bishes posted:

It's too high up to scrape anything! We bought this one for our 1UP bike rack and it's perfect. It's not the cheapest option and installation took me a couple hours but I would gladly do it all again. We had the other kind on our 13 Golf that was $100 and took 10min to install...that one hung pretty low and I scraped that on everything.

Huh, that seems perfect. Thanks for this! (Though my wallet isn't as thankful. Oh well.)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ended up doing a cruise yesterday from Denver down to Colorado springs with a few diversions here and there. Discovered that the navigation in my car is smart enough to send me around traffic.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
For a 17 GTI, on a scale of 0 to 10, how hard would installing a short shifter kit be for someone who has not really worked on their car before?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

veedubfreak posted:

Ended up doing a cruise yesterday from Denver down to Colorado springs with a few diversions here and there. Discovered that the navigation in my car is smart enough to send me around traffic.

I really like that drive, can keep going all the way down to New Mexico and find somewhere to stay if you want to make a proper road trip out of it. Especially this time of year with the massive thunderstorms rolling out into the plains, it's great. The freeway is empty after the Springs if you want to zone out, or you can take the highway up to Taos or wherever. Just never stop in Pueblo, gently caress Pueblo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
APR on top of their poo poo.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33280

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Etrips posted:

For a 17 GTI, on a scale of 0 to 10, how hard would installing a short shifter kit be for someone who has not really worked on their car before?

2-3, it's pretty simple. Adjusting it can be tedious though, I have the Diesel Geek and it took a week or so of driving and adjusting to get it just right and still the 1-2 shift can be overly notchy when it's cold. I don't recommend installing a shorter/smaller knob if you are also doing a short shifter.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Seriously, you are tiresome.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Seriously, you are tiresome.

So block me you loving giant cocksucker.

I'm sorry that I enjoy finding new things out about my car.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 19, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Preliminary vdynos are showing around 250-270whp for my car at this point, but we haven't even hit the "full"power revision. I just got pumped up a few psi and the power and got tweaked around peak torque.

Vdyno is not particularly accurate, but airflow mass lb/min is around 27 at peak, which seems like it supports the 250-270whp numbers. I'm going to pull more logs tomorrow and we will see where these numbers advance.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Drove my FiST to Yosemite over the weekend. Old Priest Grade (reaches 20%)drat near killed my car. Time to start looking for a better radiator. Had to stop halfway and let it cool down. Wasn't fun turning on the heater full blast when its 95° outside.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veedubfreak posted:

Are you sure about that? Because without there being some way to stream data to the nav unit (and you'd know because you'd probably be paying for it) I don't see how this is possible. Unless you mean some sort of integration with your phone.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kiger_Soze posted:

Drove my FiST to Yosemite over the weekend. Old Priest Grade (reaches 20%)drat near killed my car. Time to start looking for a better radiator. Had to stop halfway and let it cool down. Wasn't fun turning on the heater full blast when its 95° outside.
How new is your fist? This is what worries me about getting a turbo car in a desert, that the cooling system doesn't have enough capacity for dealing with the desert heat.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bentai posted:

How new is your fist? This is what worries me about getting a turbo car in a desert, that the cooling system doesn't have enough capacity for dealing with the desert heat.

The FiST is pretty notorious for having cooling issues. I don't think it's an issue with any of the other hot hatches that I've heard of. An aftermarket intercooler and radiator should fix the issue.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kiger_Soze posted:

That's pretty lovely. Automakers all go to Death Valley and up "Stove Pipe" (as well as Baker) to make sure this doesn't happen.

Is your car modded at all?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It seems to be a weakness with the Fiesta in general from what I've read, which is disappointing to say the least. Rad/IC are pretty high on my list of things to do before I throw a bunch of money at mine.

How's the lag on your new turbo PV? I love how quick the stock one spools but sometimes I miss that late 80's kick in the pants at 3500 with my old 300ZX.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 20, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

It seems to be a weakness with the Fiesta in general from what I've read, which is disappointing to say the least. Rad/IC are pretty high on my list of things to do before I throw a bunch of money at mine.

How's the lag on your new turbo PV? I love how quick the stock one spools but sometimes I miss that late 80's kick in the pants at 3500 with my old 300ZX.

Definitely laggier. Pushes the power band up, starts really building boost ~3500 and pulls hard to redline. It's definitely a different experience but I prefer it honestly. The high rpm sag of the tiny stock turbo drove me nuts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a guy who comes out to the local trackdays with the same kit you have...... the car (and he) are stupid loving quick. As in, one of the faster people there in total.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bentai posted:

I haven't heard of this issue with the Focus ST, though many do upgrade the intercooler. Oil/coolant temps don't skyrocket, just the charge temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

Bentai posted:

2015 with 43k miles.

Larrymer posted:

That's pretty lovely. Automakers all go to Death Valley and up "Stove Pipe" (as well as Baker) to make sure this doesn't happen.

Is your car modded at all?

Yeah its been modded. intercooler, intake, downpipe and hybrid turbo upgrade. I probably need to get a conservative tune for long road trips and look into a better radiator and maybe oil cooler.
I got to the side of the road before it boiled over and it cooled down pretty quick. drove home just fine.

think it was just a combination of it being super hot, high altitude and really steep road.