Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Catberry posted:

See you're the blood sucker. They take your blood and give it to others but when you need it they'll be all out.

I have 0+ fygm blood. They always have mine in stock and I can take yours too.

A friend of mine has 0- and they always hassle him to give blood but he refuses because donating blood makes him fatigued for over a week afterwards.

I've been injecting my dog with my blood for years so if I ever need any I'll just take it back out along with his fundamental dog essence and become even more powerful. Use your woof woof next time, idiot.

ilmucche posted:

I thought AB+ was the universal receptor. O- universal donor.

Yeah that's right! So it means O- is the best for donations but the worst to have because you have less total blood that can be donated to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah that's right! So it means O- is the best for donations but the worst to have because you have less total blood that can be donated to you.

Cool, I was confused because other poster referred to O+ as fygm blood, when it's still pretty good to donate. Although I guess only + people can take it?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Cool, I was confused because other poster referred to O+ as fygm blood, when it's still pretty good to donate. Although I guess only + people can take it?

Yeah exactly! It's definitely the easiest blood to have outside of the universal receptor because it's so common and then you have O- on top of it!

O Positive 47
A Positive 26
B Positive 9
O Negative 8
A Negative 5
B Negative 2
AB Positive 2
AB Negative 1

Is the breakdown percentage-wise in Ireland and though there is variation in other countries you're still looking at something fairly similar. O and A take up such a huge amount of the population that everyone else is pretty rare and O- has it worst because even the guy who has 1/100 rarity blood can also receive ours.

e: actually the IBTS has a pretty cool key that I didn't know about. Blood donation is more variable than I thought

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ilmucche posted:

O+ is fygm blood because it can take O- (like everyone else) but is the most common donor type so they don't hassle you to give blood

source: am O+

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah exactly! It's definitely the easiest blood to have outside of the universal receptor because it's so common and then you have O- on top of it!

O Positive 47
A Positive 26
B Positive 9
O Negative 8
A Negative 5
B Negative 2
AB Positive 2
AB Negative 1

Is the breakdown percentage-wise in Ireland and though there is variation in other countries you're still looking at something fairly similar. O and A take up such a huge amount of the population that everyone else is pretty rare and O- has it worst because even the guy who has 1/100 rarity blood can also receive ours.

e: actually the IBTS has a pretty cool key that I didn't know about. Blood donation is more variable than I thought

For whatever reason, plasma donation ends up being exactly opposite

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

oldpainless posted:

THats when you let them know the price just went up

More like old bloodless

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tunicate posted:

For whatever reason, plasma donation ends up being exactly opposite
:science: Your plasma has the antibodies to the groups you don't have, so O can get plasma from anyone since it doesn't give a poo poo about the A and B antibodies floating around.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm ineligible to donate plasma because of my pathetic veins :saddowns:

content

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Nah, 100% real. Professors love getting in deep poo poo by dating current students. It definitely wasn't written as teenager-level "dear diary, my teacher is so dreamy" material. Totally.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
cockblocked by an econ prof? hosed up if true :eyepop:

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I can believe an econ professor was a creep

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Comptroll The Forums posted:

cockblocked by an econ prof? hosed up if true :eyepop:

You can tell the story is fake because it has students actually attending econ classes and not just showing up for the midterm.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
All of my econ professors looked like a 9 foot tall person was melted down to a 5 foot tall person. So dreamy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Being ~*introverted*~ is fun and quirky!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

All of my econ professors looked like a 9 foot tall person was melted down to a 5 foot tall person. So dreamy.

My best econ professor was only in it for access to the university's super-fast internet, and would do trades mid-class.

He explained what he was doing and why, though, so that was pretty cool.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

kazil posted:

I did the same thing once except instead of going faster I just slowed down. I'm actually still running the race, sort of the Zeno's paradox of marathons.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

kazil posted:

He ran the city marathon in 2 hours and 59 minutes, placed 19th out of thousands, then for some reason our intrepid narrator forgot he was IN the marathon, and says he "introverted his way into qualifying for the Boston marathon," you know, the one he just ran.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Zipperelli. posted:

He ran the city marathon in 2 hours and 59 minutes, placed 19th out of thousands, then for some reason our intrepid narrator forgot he was IN the marathon, and says he "introverted his way into qualifying for the Boston marathon," you know, the one he just ran.

I assume the city marathon mentioned was not the boston one, just a qualifier one. The way the story is written the guy hasn't been in the boston marathon yet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zipperelli. posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't understand how qualifying for high-profile marathons works.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jabor posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't understand how qualifying for high-profile marathons works.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had to qualify. My uncle has been running it every year for about 15 years now, and I've never heard of him running a different marathon just to qualify.

The more you know, I guess :shrug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Just wait. In 10 years they will remake Forrest Gump but instead of dumb he's introverted.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
But you repeat yourself :smug:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

kazil posted:

Just wait. In 10 years they will remake Forrest Gump but instead of dumb he's introverted.

The whole movie is him quietly eating chocolates while desperately avoiding the people on the bench with him

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zipperelli. posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize you had to qualify. My uncle has been running it every year for about 15 years now, and I've never heard of him running a different marathon just to qualify.

The more you know, I guess :shrug:

Ask your uncle, he probably had to qualify once, and I think you get to keep going after.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ask your uncle, he probably had to qualify once, and I think you get to keep going after.

Mostly if you meet a minimum time you get to come back

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Mostly if you meet a minimum time you get to come back

:goonsay: Maximum time

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
lovely server demands a better tip (self.pettyrevenge)

quote:

A couple months back, my boyfriend and I went out for drinks one night at this cool little "speakeasy" in Montreal. It's actually quite an interesting place. You come in through a nondescript entrance and the place has a really nice vibe going on once you get inside. Note: this is one of those bars where the server comes to your table and serves the drinks rather than one where you order at the bar and take the drinks back yourself.

We were seated at our table by the server. We ordered a couple cocktails. And then a couple more, and then a couple more after that. Each time we had to order, my boyfriend or I would have to go fetch the server so he would take our order or go up to the bar, order, and then bring the drinks back ourselves.

Then, when it came time for the bill, I went up again so he would come to our table. He came and thought we were going to order again despite me clearly asking for the bill when I went up. So, he went back to get the card machine and it was another ten minutes before he was back. At this point, I was quite ticked off at the not-so-great service and was debating whether or not I should tip him. The screen had an option for 10%, 15%, 20% or "other." I decided to just leave 10% as I wanted to avoid an argument with the server. Montreal service employees are pretty drat notorious when it comes to the expectation of tips.

Now, he prints out the receipt and takes a look at it and sees I left 10%. He then asks if we had a nice evening, to which my boyfriend responded that we did; we both thought it was just a standard question servers ask so we didn't bother telling him about the poor service received–especially because it wouldn't really make a difference at this point. The guy then says, "oh, well if you had such a nice time, than you should've left at least a 15% tip. Because, in Canada, it's customary to leave a minimum 15% when the service is good." I'm guessing the reason he felt the need to outline that's how it is in Canada is because I'm a brown guy.

Now comes the petty part. I responded, "oh I didn't know, why don't you cancel this bill and redo it so I can tip you properly. He said sure thing, just give me a second because the manager has to approve bill cancellations. Again, we waited a good 10 minutes for him to come back with the new bill. I was happy to wait, though, because once he came back, I put in the PIN and then selected the "other" option for tip and left him 0%. He printed out the receipt and his look of disbelief was well worth it. We got up and my (white Canadian) boyfriend said, "Our only tip for you is to give better service and not be so much of an rear end in a top hat. In Canada, we don't really like assholes."

Common Decency Has Checked Out

quote:

Aachen, Germany, Grocery Store, Wild & Unruly | Friendly | July 11, 2017

(I come to check out. While waiting to put my groceries on the counter, first an older gentleman with only a bag of chips and later a kid with only a carton of ice cream get in line behind me and I let both of them go before me when I notice. Shortly after I start to put on my stuff, the next customer to get in line behind me addresses me rudely. Note that I usually leave a gap for other customers with one or two items at the beginning.)

Customer: “Let me go in front of you.”

(I turn around and look first at her cart which is about as full as mine, then her.)

Me: “Why?”

Customer: “You let those two go first, so you should let me, too.”

Me: *blinks confused* “No?”

Customer: *glares* “Yes.”

Me: *thinks that she maybe is in a hurry* “Do you have to be somewhere? Because if you don’t, I really don’t have a reason to let you go first.”

Customer: “That’s none of your business. You only don’t want to let me go first because you are sexist.”

Me: “What?”

Customer: “You heard me!”

Me: “So, you are saying I, obviously female, am sexist for letting two males who only had one thing each? Did I get that right?”

Customer: “Yes!”

Me: *turns around and proceeds putting my stuff on the counter*

(For a moment the customer is quiet before she starts squeezing between me and the other line with some of her stuff in her arms. Thankfully my cart has turned slightly and is blocking her.)

Me: “What are you doing?”

Customer: “You clearly left some space for ME because you do realize this is my rightful place, so I am taking it.”

Me: “No. That space is for one to two-item customers. Which at this point I am willing to let go in front of me even if they arrive after you, because you have been a jerk to me this entire time and I am a bit petty. Considering other customers probably heard you from across the shop, they will know why.”

(The customer continues to glare at me while I finish putting my groceries on the band and starts slamming her own onto it long before I am finished and not even just behind mine, instead putting her first item next to my last one. When I move to move it a bit back to put the divider-triangle-thing between our groceries she grabs my wrist.)

Customer: “Don’t touch my f***ing groceries!” *I refuse to answer that and instead go to move my own item* “WHAT DID I JUST SAY!”

Me: “I want to put my own item away so I can place the di—”

Customer: “NO! IF YOU DON’T LET ME GO FIRST, YOU PAY FOR MY GROCERIES!”

Me: “No. Let go of my wrist. You are starting to hurt me and if you damage it, I will take up charges.”

(Shocked, the customer let go and I grabbed my item, placed the divider, and started stacking my groceries, which I usually don’t like doing because I am terrible at balancing things. The rest of me paying for my groceries thankfully went out without a hitch and the cashier apologized for not reacting but said the way I was standing up to the customer suggested I had everything under control. I was too nervous to tell her the reason I hadn’t looked around for help was that that would have required eye contact which I am pretty much unable to initiate or hold.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

people who tip based on the "level of service" are villains in every one else's story

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Living in a country where the minimum wage for untrained serving staff is $12-13,5 an hour plus 5 weeks paid vacation a year I can never wrap my head around the tipping culture where regular Joes sit in judgement over their fellow man. Laying down praise or condemnation with a 5$ or a $10 bill.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Catberry posted:

Living in a country where the minimum wage for untrained serving staff is $12-13,5 an hour plus 5 weeks paid vacation a year I can never wrap my head around the tipping culture where regular Joes sit in judgement over their fellow man. Laying down praise or condemnation with a 5$ or a $10 bill.

It's a jester show and it is degrading.
I know those jobs suck here in the US. Even if someone is terrible, please tip 15% because that's what the government taxes them on whether they actually earn it or not. It's pretty bad that servers can end up relying on "regulars" for to make up lost tip money. It's like sex work without the sex.

Follow the Golden Rule: "Don't be an rear end in a top hat."

Also, never give less than the highest rating on satisfaction surveys because people get fired over 9 out of 10s instead of 10 out of 10s.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Aleph Null posted:

It's a jester show and it is degrading.
I know those jobs suck here in the US. Even if someone is terrible, please tip 15% because that's what the government taxes them on whether they actually earn it or not.

Are servers taxed differently than non-service industry workers?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Yes, because tips are expected to cover a certain percentage of their wage, which the employer then doesn't have to provide. It's a god-damned huge mess in the states and should be overhauled at the federal level.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Tip income is imputed to people who work in ordinarily tipped positions, so if you're a waiter and you only report your $2.13 an hour (US minimum wage for tipped employees), you could be audited and fined.

It is all complete loving bullshit.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Tips are taxed just like any other wages, but the IRS still expects you to make a certain minimum amount of total money and taxes you accordingly.
This is because employers are expected to make up the difference if their employees don't make enough in tips for their total salary to qualify as "minimum wage".
But they don't. Because, who would complain? They'll just fire you and hire someone else.
Hence, you need to get a certain amount in tips or you lose money instead of make money.

e:f;b

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Aleph Null posted:

Tips are taxed just like any other wages, but the IRS still expects you to make a certain minimum amount of total money and taxes you accordingly
That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure all income is declared on tax forms, not imputed. If your declared tip income is below the level they expect you might be audited to verify, but you wouldn't be charged additional taxes based on theoretical income.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Strudel Man posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm pretty sure all income is declared on tax forms, not imputed. If your declared tip income is below the level they expect you might be audited to verify, but you wouldn't be charged additional taxes based on theoretical income.

Aleph Null posted:

Tips are taxed just like any other wages, but the IRS still expects you to make a certain minimum amount of total money and taxes you accordingly.
This is because employers are expected to make up the difference if their employees don't make enough in tips for their total salary to qualify as "minimum wage".
But they don't. Because, who would complain? They'll just fire you and hire someone else.
Hence, you need to get a certain amount in tips or you lose money instead of make money.

e:f;b
Basically the problem isn't the IRS, it's that your employer will just fire you if you make so little in tips that they'd have to make up the difference(since you have to make at least minimum wage).

If numbers help you visualize it: The employer is expected to pay about $2/hr to tipped workers. If the worker doesn't make enough tips to effectively make $7.25/hr(or whatever minimum wage is in their state), the employer has to pay enough to bring them up to that level. But if the worker does make enough in tips, the employer can just pay $2/hr. :capitalism:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol at any chump not pullin down 9.17 an hour like I am

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I see they took a "classic" and decided to expand upon it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012