Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I once ran into a 7-11, bought a 6 pack of beer, paid, went to my car, then realized I forgot cigarettes. I ran back in, asked for the cigs, and the (same) cashier asked for my id. I was like "uh, dude. You JUST checked it for me to buy alcohol, so I'm over 21, so why do you need to see it again to buy something that's age restricted to 18?"

He kind of gave me a blank look for a minute and still asked for my id. Moral of the story: there are some people who just follow the rules really closely.

Yeah. And cops spot check those folks all the time, not to mention they are on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
holy gently caress why don't you have national ids, its not like you have state passports.

hosed up, lovely country.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
National ids would be the mark of the beast and that's terrible.

I'm not joking, by the way. There's just enough people who unironically believe that to gently caress it up for the rest of us. :dawkins101:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I once watched a middle-aged man freak out at a liquor store cashier who asked for his ID. He eventually just left his stuff on the counter and walked out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Is that even a thing? Cashiers keeping a book of all 50 state IDs so they can check out-of-staters?

And just LOL at bragging about your high school GPA to prove you're too smart to get a fake ID that only lets you buy tobacco.

Yes. And no not just if there's a college nearby. The place I worked had one with a big ol "Brought to you by Budweiser" logo on it. And quite frankly if the dude went off on my like that I would have drug the process out even longer because gently caress you dude just doin' my job. It's a 10k fine and possible jailtime if it's a state sting. If it's the BARS program it's anything from a write up to a termination. Just get your ID out and accept it.

Hell if I was having a poo poo day I carded everyone for everything.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When I worked at a day care one of the kids was autistic and when she had a panic attack a coworker yelled at her and sat her in time out.

People are lovely.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Len posted:

When I worked at a day care one of the kids was autistic and when she had a panic attack a coworker yelled at her and sat her in time out.

People are lovely.

I thought the autistic kids were supposed to be the quiet ones.

Away from the keyboard anyway.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Len posted:

People are lovely.

I work in the mental health field so your story i can believe. That image macro would be, ya know, a crime and the person would be an rear end in a top hat to not report it to the police if it happened (it didnt).

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Even if it did happen, there's still pointing and laughing at the most insufferable loving person on the planet

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ishikabibble posted:

Even if it did happen, there's still pointing and laughing at the most insufferable loving person on the planet
Bad news: "3,36,777 notes". :crossarms:
Good news: Maggie correctly realizes this guy will never be cool.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Riding unicycles is super loving easy, they look harder than a bike but actually if you gently caress up you just land on your feet standing up.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man you don't understand guys, this fawn was just too drat tiny, OP is just so wacky and sensitive at the same time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There are literally no million-dollar blockbuster movies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

No one born in the last 50 years has been named Maggie

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

kazil posted:

What about Maggie from walking dead?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

or Maggie from the Simpsons

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

kazil posted:

That's true; they're usually named Margaret.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jerry Cotton posted:

There are literally no million-dollar blockbuster movies.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

kazil posted:

Maggie Gyllenhaal

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Haifisch posted:

Bad news: "3,36,777 notes". :crossarms:
Good news: Maggie correctly realizes this guy will never be cool.
India and some other countries uses lakh, which are 100,000, annotated as 1,00,000 and up. So a million is 10,00,000, ten million is 1,00,00,000, etc. Could be regionalized for one of those countries. Unless you mean that 300k people though this was worth responding to.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Elysiume posted:

India and some other countries uses lakh, which are 100,000, annotated as 1,00,000 and up. So a million is 10,00,000, ten million is 1,00,00,000, etc. Could be regionalized for one of those countries.
Dammit, I didn't come here to learn! :argh:

quote:

All She Sees Is A Costumed Villain
Department Store | Toledo, OH, USA | Working | May 26, 2015

(I’m a training costumer and have gone to a Goodwill-type store to look for pieces for my newest project. I strike gold with the first store and find a beautiful dress just perfect for the piece. Practically giddy at my good luck, I hurry to the register to pay for it.)

Cashier: “Well, you seem awfully chipper.”

Me: “Sorry. I was expecting to search all over town for a dress like this, but found it on my first try!”

Cashier: “Well, I’m glad you were able to find something. Big dance or something?”

Me: “Oh, no, I’m a costumer. I’m going to use this for a costume project.”

(Right then, the cashier’s face turns stormy and she promptly reaches out and snatches the dress away from me.)

Cashier: “You snotty little s***! How dare you come into this store?!”

Me: “Huh?!”

Cashier: “I guess it never occurred to you that poor people come into this store and buy clothes they desperately need! And here you come flouncing in to buy their clothes for a stupid costume!”

Me: “But… I’ve been doing this for years.”

Cashier: “That’s even worse! You’re lucky I don’t call the cops on you, you little thief! Get out! Don’t you ever set foot in here again! Get out before I call security! NOW!”

(By this time, the whole store has gone quiet as everyone stares at us. The swift sound of footsteps approaching alerted us to a manager hurrying over.)

Manager: “What the bloody h*** is going on?”

Cashier: “This pathetic little snob was stealing our clothes, [Manager].”

Manager: “Huh?”

Me: “I swear I wasn’t, miss! I was about to pay for that!”

Manager: “Then where did she get the idea you were going to steal it?”

Me: “I honestly don’t know. I just mentioned that I was going to use it for a costume and she flipped out.”

Cashier: “See? She even admits it! She admits to stealing poor people’s clothes to use in ridiculous costumes!”

(The manager gives her an incredulous look, sighs, and pushes her aside.)

Manager: “Will that be cash or credit, miss?”

Me: “Cash.”

Cashier: “WHAT?! You’re still going to sell it to her? She’s STEALING it from people who NEED it!”

Manager: “[Cashier], I highly doubt that every poor person in the city is lining up to buy fancy ball gowns. Whatever you’ve been smoking on break, you’d better toss it before I toss you.”

(She bagged the dress and I thanked her quickly, scurrying out while the cashier proceeded to scream after me again. I didn’t go back for a few weeks, but when I did, I found out she’d been fired for her antics, which included trying to have a little boy buying a stuffed animal arrested because he didn’t look ‘poor’ enough. I still shop there and the bargains are always awesome.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

quote:

Manager: “[Cashier], I highly doubt that every poor person in the city is lining up to buy fancy ball gowns.

Yes, poor teenage girls never want to wear fancy dresses to prom. :rolleyes:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
There are some people who get legitimately angry at well off people buying from op shops, which is kind of silly, and I say this as someone who grew up povvo. They're not there just to provide poo poo to poors, they're also there to sell poo poo to well off people and use the profits (because they sure as hell make profits) on funding soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc. That's the plan, anyway, depending on the organisation more or less money might be spent on their gay conversion therapy camps or the "throw rocks at refugees" campaign.

A lot of charity shops these days have "high end" stores which cater specifically to rich hipsters with a price tag to match. To be honest even most Lifelines and Vinnie's are more expensive than just buying cheap and nasty sweatshop clothes from Best and Less or Kmart these days.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
shit_that_did_happen_but_i_wish_it_didn't.txt

uuuugh

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

they're not even doing the meme right

the text is from the student's point of view, but this picture is supposed to be used with text from the teacher's point of view

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

uuuugh

Why why why is it ALWAYS loving "Bohemian Rhapsody"?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's like MST3K bullshit. It's obscure nerd poo poo except it's not actually obscure at all so when everyone joins in (and they will) you get that guaranteed real "I'm part of an exclusive in group! :3:" rush.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

uuuugh

Thank you for not linking to the video.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

pfft, amateurs

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-09/photo-of-cage-used-to-restrain-boy-autism-at-canberra-school/6762404

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: Whatever you’ve been smoking on break, you’d better toss it before I toss you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

It's like MST3K bullshit. It's obscure nerd poo poo except it's not actually obscure at all so when everyone joins in (and they will) you get that guaranteed real "I'm part of an exclusive in group! :3:" rush.

MST3K bullshit? Is there some kind of secret society around this show I'm unaware of?

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The STDH that are obvious revenge fantasies about something that probably did happen are always the saddest ones. The extra reaction lines completely destroy any sense of empathy though.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

101 posted:

or Maggie from the Simpsons

Characters created by people born 50 years ago.

ishikabibble posted:

Has this guy ever used a lockpick? They are useless for most modern locks. And there's no way his lockpick was a surprise to anyone because people who buy lockpicks show them off all the time.

Lockpicks are also a great way to turn a police encounter from "thank you sir, have a good evening" to an hour at the back of a cruiser while they search your car

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Proteus Jones posted:

MST3K bullshit? Is there some kind of secret society around this show I'm unaware of?

No, but some nerds think there is.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Most modern locks are cheap poo poo you can easily break anyway. Just sticking a flathead and smashing it in can work.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

There are some people who get legitimately angry at well off people buying from op shops, which is kind of silly, and I say this as someone who grew up povvo. They're not there just to provide poo poo to poors, they're also there to sell poo poo to well off people and use the profits (because they sure as hell make profits) on funding soup kitchens, homeless shelters, etc. That's the plan, anyway, depending on the organisation more or less money might be spent on their gay conversion therapy camps or the "throw rocks at refugees" campaign.

A lot of charity shops these days have "high end" stores which cater specifically to rich hipsters with a price tag to match. To be honest even most Lifelines and Vinnie's are more expensive than just buying cheap and nasty sweatshop clothes from Best and Less or Kmart these days.

One of the Goodwill's near me seems to cater to well-off, thin people. Can't find clothes for a typical goon or goonette and they had a $50 purse. At Goodwill.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

ChaseSP posted:

Most modern locks are cheap poo poo you can easily break anyway. Just sticking a flathead and smashing it in can work.

Yeah which makes locksmiths all the more disappointing. I imagine this old man dressed in steampunk gear with lockpicks hanging all over and instead I get Joe 30 something who sticks in a caulking gun looking thing and then pulls a trigger and the door opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Catberry posted:

Has this guy ever used a lockpick? They are useless for most modern locks. And there's no way his lockpick was a surprise to anyone because people who buy lockpicks show them off all the time.

Lockpicks are also a great way to turn a police encounter from "thank you sir, have a good evening" to an hour at the back of a cruiser while they search your car

Nah, most house locks are ANSI grade 3 'good', which are actually pretty crap and easy to pick.