Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hes just a passing fad of a musician who people get disproportionately upset about because he looks like a real life gnome. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All jokes aside media is so fractured even if you spend a stupid amount of time online you can miss that stuff, especially with algorithms tailoring everything to you.

I know who he is, but only because I randomly clicked through on an article about him a week or two ago. Other than that I had no idea.

It's funny how indignant some of them are though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All jokes aside media is so fractured even if you spend a stupid amount of time online you can miss that stuff, especially with algorithms tailoring everything to you.

I know who he is, but only because I randomly clicked through on an article about him a week or two ago. Other than that I had no idea.

I really like the sentiment here. "Even if you practically live on your computer, you might not know basic pop culture!" Yeah, people who spends all their time online are really known for having their finger on the pulse of what's hot right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's a beatboxing white guy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really like the sentiment here. "Even if you practically live on your computer, you might not know basic pop culture!" Yeah, people who spends all their time online are really known for having their finger on the pulse of what's hot right now.

To be fair, spending all your time online IS what's hot right now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hes just a passing fad of a musician who people get disproportionately upset about because he looks like a real life gnome. That's it.

The radio at work is from the mid 80's and only picks up one FM station that isn't NPR reliably and it plays him at least twice an hour. That's my reason for disliking that bastard. At least he has two songs out now and it's not just Shape of You forever and ever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron von Eevl posted:

You know, they have music and TV and movies on computers these days. There's even this thing called "social media" where people talk about things they like. :shrug:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I know poo poo is changing and everyone is online these days, but the stereotype of the person spending their whole day in front of their computer is probably not that they're the most in touch.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I know poo poo is changing and everyone is online these days, but the stereotype of the person spending their whole day in front of their computer is probably not that they're the most in touch.

some folks even do it for a living now, and there is something to be said for at least knowing a bit about whats going on that isnt just gossip, 2nd hand info and rumor.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

My god. They re-enacted it here.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sneakyfrog posted:

some folks even do it for a living now, and there is something to be said for at least knowing a bit about whats going on that isnt just gossip, 2nd hand info and rumor.

So you're saying following pop music is a moral obligation??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone now has access to a portable music player with a huge capacity, and the ability to access and download any of the world's variety of music to play at their leisure. At this point, you're the weird one for assuming everyone listens to the radio, let alone can name flash-in-the-pan modern artists. The shared experience of popular music may well be coming to an end.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So you're saying following pop music is a moral obligation??

ey man if you arent following taylor swift on twitter and working in infosec i dont know what to tell you friend.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tiggum posted:

You know, they have music and TV and movies on computers these days. There's even this thing called "social media" where people talk about things they like. :shrug:

From what I can tell, nobody actually likes Ed Sheeran.

I've heard of him but couldn't tell you any songs he does.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sneakyfrog posted:

ey man if you arent following taylor swift on twitter and working in infosec i dont know what to tell you friend.

Duly noted. I'll turn in my metal albums and report for reeducation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Duly noted. I'll turn in my metal albums and report for reeducation.

You should have turned those in for a collared shirt and brown shoes once you turned 25. :sigh: This generation...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

You should have turned those in for a collared shirt and brown shoes once you turned 25. :sigh: This generation...

ey gently caress you brah, Iron Maiden is still :krad:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

ey gently caress you brah, Iron Maiden is still :krad:

I still rock a Skinny Puppy shirt from 1993. I'm with ya old music liking buddy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still rock a Skinny Puppy shirt from 1993. I'm with ya old music liking buddy.

:hfive: noice. I had a silly rear end goth industrial phase too.. all about that worlock and poo poo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Inescapable Duck posted:

The shared experience of popular music may well be coming to an end.
It's strange, I remember reading something that said Nirvana would probably be the last superstar-phenomenon-band-thing, and yet there has clearly still been a trend of huge pop stars since. Seems like everyone predicts the end of the single pop mainstream but it hasn't happened yet?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I have no idea who he is, but I've been 100% deaf in both ears since the age of 5 so I think I get a pass on not paying attention to music people :shrug:

E: A quick googling tells me he is a tool and I wouldn't have wanted to know him anyway, so everyone wins!

He was pretty alright when he went on Top Gear with no driving license. Essentially got taught to drive by The Stig™, which is a pretty cool story, bro.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have been in and out of love with Skinny Puppy since the late 90s.

Sometimes they annoy me and other times they like totally speak to my soul, man

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
goddamn old music nerds.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're my favorite band, but my favorite album (Too Dark Park) has none of my favorite songs of theirs on it. They really are a wonderful weird band. I like their new stuff too. And they're the only band (outside of my friend's) that I still go to see.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Solice Kirsk posted:

i like my bands in business suits, i watch them on youtube,

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

corn in the bible posted:

sooo ZZ top?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Context: weird indie nerdphone OnePlus5 is infamous for the screens being installed upside down (and the company's insistence that it's not an issue)

Desk Lamp posted:

Apparently dialing 911 causes the OnePlus5 to reboot. I'd think of something else to say about it but that short sentence really says it all.

Ragingsheep posted:

Just dial 116 instead.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

corn in the bible posted:

Have I got a band for you, then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H75hBXvjsw

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oddhair posted:

He was pretty alright when he went on Top Gear with no driving license. Essentially got taught to drive by The Stig™, which is a pretty cool story, bro.
I saw him on Top Gear and Buzzcocks and a few other shows and he always comes across as a genuinely nice guy, but his music is so blandly inoffensive and calculated for maximum marketability that I can't help but harbor some serious doubts about that persona.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm a programmer. I'm not really expected to be normal. Also, my shoes are selected to coordinate with the day's slacks and polo shirt. :colbert:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo ZZ top?
The News.

Huey doesn't wear a jacket. LAME

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jesus likes your music

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Orson Wells? More like Orson Smells :smug:

Timby posted:

Jingle Bells, Orson smells,
Bob Wise laid an egg,
Couldn't say "IN" in "In July"
And Rosebud was a sleigh

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I disagree, I think he looks like what would happen if Elmo found a magic monkey's paw and wished to become human.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Trig Discipline posted:

I disagree, I think he looks like what would happen if Elmo found a magic monkey's paw and wished to become human.

you posted this in the right thread

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's strange, I remember reading something that said Nirvana would probably be the last superstar-phenomenon-band-thing, and yet there has clearly still been a trend of huge pop stars since. Seems like everyone predicts the end of the single pop mainstream but it hasn't happened yet?

Am I so out of touch that I really don't recognize any of the bands that are popular right now?

No, it's the industry that's becoming irrelevant.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's not really that things aren't popular, it's that even the biggest hits today are not nearly as popular on their own as they used to be. There are just a lot more things competing for attention these days.

There was a really good article I read but can't find that showed Game of Thrones yesterday had like 16 million viewers, and ER season 3 first episode had over 40 million.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Nope, pretty sure if you don't like and know about the same things that I like and know about then you are either a liar or a broken excuse of a human being.

Maybe both.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
ER was on free broadcast TV though, not a premium cable network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How many million people illegally watched it?