Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
admataY
Oct 16, 2008
If your talking about the newspaper office then it add some insight as to how the average citizen might see the events of the game. Dishonored 2 is full of optional flavor and worldbuilding , there is no point to stress out about missing stuff but it's one of the reasons why it's so good and worthy of multiple playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're supposed to know it was there by exploring, which is what you did. If people didnt take that path, they would have found something else.

Me I just took the train. Toot toot!

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

How do the controls work in Wild Guns Reloaded? I'm trying to use left stick to move the character and right stick to aim the reticle but it doesn't seem to work as intended. Am I doing something wrong?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

John Mirra posted:

How do the controls work in Wild Guns Reloaded? I'm trying to use left stick to move the character and right stick to aim the reticle but it doesn't seem to work as intended. Am I doing something wrong?

You only use the left stick. Cursor and character move at the same time. When firing, your character plants their feet. You're very vulnerable at that point so you got to watch where the bullets are hitting with the flashing hit markers. Dodge right and left using the bumpers or jump out of the way. You can shoot the bullets out of the air and that powers your Vulcan gun meter. When that fills you gain invulnerability and a rapid fire attack. It's pretty tough. This game is alot harder than the original because the screen space is much larger than the original and the enemy count doesn't scale with player count.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Is there a Fire Pro Wrestling thread? I had a search and couldn't find one. I've ran through the tutorials but still don't have much of a clue how to win a fight, anyone know of a good beginner's guide?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're supposed to know it was there by exploring, which is what you did. If people didnt take that path, they would have found something else.

Me I just took the train. Toot toot!

Fair enough. I get really stressed I'm missing something important :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bad Parenting posted:

Is there a Fire Pro Wrestling thread? I had a search and couldn't find one. I've ran through the tutorials but still don't have much of a clue how to win a fight, anyone know of a good beginner's guide?
The Games megathread in Punchsport Pagoda is kind of the Fire Pro thread right now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

Kool, thanks for the updates gents!
I was intrigued by the cards/dice combo gameplay aspect, but worried there's a good chance of gimping yourself with a couple poor decisions :xcom: , or that the game may require excessive grinding. Wanted to hear a few opinions first before I took the plunge. Thanks for keeping the thread updated.

So far there is no way to permanently hurt yourself with choices. You can swap things out at will. There is a crafting section which I have yet to unlock, so I'll probably get to combine random dice that I win after battles soon. That will likely be the only permanent choice.

The world map has set points on a path like FFT that trigger dialog or a story battle, and you get a confirmation before a fight. Eventually side missions and other event points open up. No grind necessary yet, but I am only 2 hours in.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Fair enough. I get really stressed I'm missing something important :ohdear:

You're supposed to keep missing important stuff in Dishonored 2.

There was a whole separate story strand (and ally) that I didn't realise until I saw a Youtube video.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You're supposed to keep missing important stuff in Dishonored 2.

There was a whole separate story strand (and ally) that I didn't realise until I saw a Youtube video.

Are you talking about (Crack in the Slab spoilers), what happens if you knock out Stilton in the past?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Of all the games I picked up in the sale, Dead Cells is the one that I keep coming back to. These guys could school Nintendo in fluid and responsive character control schemes. It's a joy to play.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Loading Screen Simulator is a game that doesn't have a new concept but look at all those great reviews. Has anyone tried it yet?

I don't know if I have the patience to try it either but I may pick it up since it is F2P.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Turd Herder posted:

Loading Screen Simulator is a game that doesn't have a new concept but look at all those great reviews. Has anyone tried it yet?

I don't know if I have the patience to try it either but I may pick it up since it is F2P.

Jim Sterling took a look at it, and it doesn't look good in the least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How does that game have 2,000 reviews already.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone also wants to be a video game critic or curator that is important. Even the gimmic ones that specifically pick up obvious poo poo games.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

CommissarMega posted:

Jim Sterling took a look at it, and it doesn't look good in the least.

Wow that looks like complete garbage. I am shocked it has that many reviews already.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its pretty drat terrible for a clicker.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Are you talking about (Crack in the Slab spoilers), what happens if you knock out Stilton in the past?

Yup.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Turd Herder posted:

You can just launch it and wait. There's a silly gif at the end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really like Banished but I think the thing it really needs is some sort of political interaction. Once you figure out the basic forester/gatherer loop as long as you don't expand too quickly (and I almost did) you're golden. Something like having bandits raiding food stores requiring guards, or needing to eventually pay taxes or resources to some feudal lord, or events like a war breaking out requiring some of your men to leave and forcing you to survive on fewer people would mix it up pretty nicely. I know there are mods to add more stuff but it seems like it only expands that basic loop.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UnOysihiI

Telltale just announced new seasons coming of Batman, Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone want to Y/N any of the titles in the new Bundlestars deal?

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/dollar-rage-bundle

I figure even one decent game is good for a dollar :o:

I'll go to bat for the Crash Time games, they are endearingly Euro-jank (oh the voice acting) but the driving itself is surprisingly good with a decent open world and a fair feeling of speed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where the gently caress is season 2 of Borderlands, Telltale.

Take the license from Gearbox for all I care, just make the drat thing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

RBA Starblade posted:

I really like Banished but I think the thing it really needs is some sort of political interaction. Once you figure out the basic forester/gatherer loop as long as you don't expand too quickly (and I almost did) you're golden. Something like having bandits raiding food stores requiring guards, or needing to eventually pay taxes or resources to some feudal lord, or events like a war breaking out requiring some of your men to leave and forcing you to survive on fewer people would mix it up pretty nicely. I know there are mods to add more stuff but it seems like it only expands that basic loop.

This has always been the big knock against Banished, it's really just a very, very pretty (and relaxing and charming and good) famine simulator. You build up and expand your town for the sake of expanding it, not to unlock things or influence any sort of metagame. The developer never said it would be anything more than that and certainly delivered on what it is.

Cactus posted:

Of all the games I picked up in the sale, Dead Cells is the one that I keep coming back to. These guys could school Nintendo in fluid and responsive character control schemes. It's a joy to play.

Amen to that. I was going to play a quick run before bed last night and stayed up an extra hour and a half swordfighting and exploding things. The current final boss is a real good mix of challenges without being absurd either, which makes me optimistic about how they can expand from there.

Speaking of absolutely phenomenal platformers, Hollow Knight gets its next free update on August 3rd.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'll go to bat for the Crash Time games, they are endearingly Euro-jank (oh the voice acting) but the driving itself is surprisingly good with a decent open world and a fair feeling of speed.

I can cover The Silent Age, Hektor, Schein, and Nikopol for you. On the plus side, The Silent Age is a real solid point-and-click adventure with a neat time travel gimmick, and Schein is a very challenging puzzle platformer with a light-based mechanic that's used to the fullest. On the minus side, Hektor is indie jumpscare garbage that uses rape for spooks, and Nikopol makes no goddamned sense if you're not already familiar with the material (and even then has crap puzzles).

You'll get at least a dollar of enjoyment from the first two, I'd wager.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Too Shy Guy posted:

This has always been the big knock against Banished, it's really just a very, very pretty (and relaxing and charming and good) famine simulator.

Main reason why I'm not interested in Banished is that it looks really ugly to me - it has no real art style. Plus what it has is all samey:

No asset variation at all, same two shades of brown/gray everywhere and even the ground is all the same.

Anno 1440, Settlers, and Tropico are way more pleasing to look at.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 19, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

Now that I'm posting my Weeklong Deal roundups on an actual website, the coding is different and it's a pain in the rear end to re-do for something that most people probably scroll past anyway. If you want to check them out you can do so here, but at the very least you should probably pick up Refunct if you haven't yet. It's still being updated with graphical enhancements and new achievements, and is now playable in 27 languages.

Just wanted to say thanks for the Refunct recommendation. It was a quick play and I haven't 100% yet but the ending made me smile :)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Banished only had three hours worth of gameplay in it for me. The workshop can probably extend this but I just feel like you can get what it is offering better from the city-builders of old (I completely missed out on the China one, for example!) or Anno (or the Annos of old!).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tangledeep has dropped! It's in early access (set to be 1.0 in Dec/Jan this year) and already a really full, fun roguelike.

It's by fellow goon zircon, it's an actual roguelike - I know, repeating myself, but it's turn-based tile-based combat where positioning matters. It has some very light progression - you can plant trees at the main camp that will grow between runs, you can capture monsters and bring them back so you get a bonus against their type, etc etc - or you can play ironman mode and rough it out without any help at all.

Game's good, folks! Please check it out!

e: Oh I nearly forgot: the class system is Final Fantasy Tactics-esque where you get JP as you fight and learn skills, and you can swap between classes to become a really versatile hybrid character. Or put everything into strength and be a paladin/budoka hybrid that punches things until they explode, your choice!

This game seems alright, on one hand it's a new classic roguelike and that alone is pretty cool. The presentation is great, the systems are neat. On the other hand, it's still pretty buggy (my first two characters were both lost to bugs that put me in infinite error loops, one was from equipping a ranged weapon on a class that wasn't allowed to use weapons and then attacking in melee with it, or something) and there seem to be some weird design decisions but maybe I just don't understand them yet. You can recall to town at any time to get fully healed for 50g (which is a pittance) while all of your in-dungeon healing is very limited so it encourages a kind-of annoying strategy of warping to town any time you get hurt, and if you can't afford the 50g to heal just selling some healing food since it's all worth way more than that. So far my actual dungeon-related deaths have all been from the same thing (champion enemies that unexpectedly sprinkle the room with a checkerboard pattern of ground effects that do 10 times the damage of any enemy melee attack, and give no advance warning that they're about to appear or what squares they're appearing on). Also it has no autoexplore :qq:

Gonna stick with it because I like the aesthetics so much and the class system is cool.

edit: Okay, I guess the healing gold cost goes up as you level which sort of swings the problem in the opposite direction. There's a limited amount of healing you can get each floor, which includes resource (stamina/energy) recovery. It's entirely possible to come up against a boss fight and have literally no way to restore your health or power your spells. Hopefully that gets easier to manage as I get better at the game!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 19, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i rolled my eyes when the gimmick to Omegaland kicked in but its commitment to fleshing the joke out into a feature length game is endearing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

This game seems alright, on one hand it's a new classic roguelike and that alone is pretty cool. The presentation is great, the systems are neat. On the other hand, it's still pretty buggy (my first two characters were both lost to bugs that put me in infinite error loops, one was from equipping a ranged weapon on a class that wasn't allowed to use weapons and then attacking in melee with it, or something) and there seem to be some weird design decisions but maybe I just don't understand them yet. You can recall to town at any time to get fully healed for 50g (which is a pittance) while all of your in-dungeon healing is very limited so it encourages a kind-of annoying strategy of warping to town any time you get hurt, and if you can't afford the 50g to heal just selling some healing food since it's all worth way more than that.

IIRC, getting fully healed only costs 50g if you've leveled up since the last time you got healed - otherwise it's a lot more expensive. I haven't tried the Steam release yet, so maybe that got changed? Not sure if that makes things better or worse than you, anyways

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a thread for Tangledeep so that we can throw our lovely opinions at zircon? Also to get a sense of what's in the pipeline.

I'm tempted because 16 bit aesthetics, job systems, and roguelikes are my weaknesses. gently caress I even liked Owlboy because that game was gorgeous even though the actual gameplay was pretty mediocre.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zeeman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UnOysihiI

Telltale just announced new seasons coming of Batman, Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us

Who on Earth wants another walking dead game from telltale? Someone stop them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a thread for Tangledeep so that we can throw our lovely opinions at zircon? Also to get a sense of what's in the pipeline.

I'm tempted because 16 bit aesthetics, job systems, and roguelikes are my weaknesses. gently caress I even liked Owlboy because that game was gorgeous even though the actual gameplay was pretty mediocre.

I'd say Tangledeep is definitely better than mediocre. I just died again and my biggest complaint after 2 hours is that there are lots of unexpected and quick deaths, like opening up a secret passage but it's full of champion enemies that all spawned with instant ranged attacks that don't require a clear line of fire. I don't know how much of that is me being new and not knowing what to be careful of and whether any of it is unavoidable though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Too Shy Guy posted:

This has always been the big knock against Banished, it's really just a very, very pretty (and relaxing and charming and good) famine simulator. You build up and expand your town for the sake of expanding it, not to unlock things or influence any sort of metagame. The developer never said it would be anything more than that and certainly delivered on what it is.

That's fair. I enjoy it for what it is but some of the easier achievements are things like "hit 300 people" and I'm four hours in with 60 and it's like "welp".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That's fair. I enjoy it for what it is but some of the easier achievements are things like "hit 300 people" and I'm four hours in with 60 and it's like "welp".

The end-game of Banished doesn't really have any goals beyond get bigger, but that becomes a lot more complicated and challenging as you grow. Sim City 4 is my favorite city builder ever and I see Banished as kind of the same thing, my only goal is to make my city bigger and look cooler without going under.

Growth in Banished is based on (iirc) available housing, so when your resource stocks are secure just build houses. Houses encourage your citizens to move out of their parents' home, get married and have kids. It's a constant struggle to build as much housing as you stockpiles can support without going overboard, too many people and not enough food/medicine will see plague or starvation sweep through the town and kill off huge populations and then you've got to figure out how to operate your town with a skeleton crew. Do you move everyone out into the countryside and have them take over farms? Do you make your teachers stop teaching and chop firewood for the village's survival instead?

Managing resources and stockpiles becomes a lot more complicated as you grow too, since they all exist in a physical location and you need to make sure that you've got them equally spread around. That's where a lot of the challenge comes from, it's not just making sure you have enough resources but also making sure you distribute them appropriately.

SinineSiil posted:

Main reason why I'm not interested in Banished is that it looks really ugly to me - it has no real art style. Plus what it has is all samey:

No asset variation at all, same two shades of brown/gray everywhere and even the ground is all the same.

This is an entirely valid complaint but there are lots of mods for fixing it, whether they're significant expansions of building variety like CC or just packs of alternate assets for homes and other buildings.

(But you're right, alternate assets are still alternate buildings and the game rarely plops down random alternate models or anything)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 19, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Schein, Soulless, and Silent Age all seem pretty interesting and I own all of them, but I haven't gotten around to actually playing them yet.

At the very least, this is definitely a good deal better than the usual $1 shovelware bundles.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

Every moment of that game was an absolute joy. I am looking forward to The Wolf Among Us 2, but Borderlands 2 better be next in line.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Xaris posted:

Ori is a good choice, its a gorgeous game, somewhat similar depressing vibes, and pretty good controls. It's much less exploration-focused than HK and mostly platforming focused with escape-focused levels here and there, but it's a solid game all around. There's also Guacamelee which is great but more brawler focused and not much in the way of exploration per se, but a good game as well.

Oh drat this made me look up Guacamelee I finished it on ps3 but didn't know it was also out on PC. I thought it was just one those Sony indie exclusive for some reason. Guacamelee is definitely a fun game. It is challenging but neither the platforming or combat is that hard on its own but together they become hard. The theme is also really cool. Probably one of the few games based around Mexican folklore like the day of the dead etc...

Surprised they haven't made a sequel to it or another platformer in its vein.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

They've pretty much said the ball's in Gearbox's court on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In DOOM news, the 6.66 patch, which goes live today, will make all Multiplayer DLC free so good for everyone who never spent a cent on those. For anyone that still doesn't have the game, it'll get a free weekend on XBOX and PC starting tomorrow and on PS4 next week. It'll also be on sale during this period.

Get DOOM.

• Locked thread