Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/people-on-twitter-are-more-outraged-by-lpga-dress-code-than-golfers/amp/

The LPGA instituted a dress code that basically says no cleavage, no booty shorts, no leggings unless under shorts or a skirt, and no workout clothes. Most of the players are fine with it. Twitter wasn't.

Quote of the year from Christina Kim though.

quote:

LPGA golfer Christina Kim said she doesn’t think there’s a problem with the new regulations.

“I may sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but this is our place of business and I think players should look professional,” Kim said. “Do you really need ventilation for your side-boob? It’s not going to make your score better.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

I have a 30+ year old Northwestern toe weighted putter and it owns bones. I just got it regripped the other day to even more reinforce my shoulder pendulum. Only think I would trade it for would be a Ping, but that would only be for the sound they made back in the day.

Speaking of Ping, I think I found my new clubs. I hit the S55s, which are contemportaries of that wedge I love. Things were hugging the center line when I hit on the sim, even with a mishit. The place even has a set with shafts that dampen my high launch angle, getting me an extra 10 or so yards over stock stiff shafts. And they sound great to boot.

I play the ping s56's and I love them. Less offset than titleist MBs, small club head and top line, but still offers some forgiveness.

Also durable as F, mine still look brand new.

And they feel great, not 'buttery soft', but good feedback and feel great when struck well.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/people-on-twitter-are-more-outraged-by-lpga-dress-code-than-golfers/amp/

The LPGA instituted a dress code that basically says no cleavage, no booty shorts, no leggings unless under shorts or a skirt, and no workout clothes. Most of the players are fine with it. Twitter wasn't.

Quote of the year from Christina Kim though.

You know, I never considered it before, but side-boob ventilation might be what I need when I'm walking in Los Angeles and it's 100 degrees out and I'm schvitzing like loving crazy.

I'm gonna go cut some holes in my golf polos, brb.

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 19, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

You know, I never considered it before, but side-boob ventilation might be what I need when I'm talking in Los Angeles and it's 100 degrees out and I'm schvitzing like loving crazy.

Post pictures of you modeling them

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

You know, I never considered it before, but side-boob ventilation might be what I need when I'm walking in Los Angeles and it's 100 degrees out and I'm schvitzing like loving crazy.

Unironically side boob venting probably helps at a lot of really hot events.

Christina Kim doesn't dress "sexy" though so of course she doesn't care.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Josh Lyman posted:

Unironically side boob venting probably helps at a lot of really hot events.

Oh, I'm sure. I can't even golf in pants. gently caress that poo poo.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, Kim isn't one of the "could be a model" players with a nice body that they're targeting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Golfing in slacks that breathe and give like Under Armour is awesome, plus it keeps the sun from scorching my legs because I'm a dumb butt who can't remember to keep reapplying sunscreen

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

16 of the 19 days this month have been 90*F or higher here in Atlanta. The heat index is typically 12*F higher.

I want to die.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

16 of the 19 days this month have been 90*F or higher here in Atlanta. The heat index is typically 12*F higher.

I want to die.

remind me to be mad at you in 4 months

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
No racerbacks seems pretty silly honestly. Some of the events are in hot as hell temperatures and wearing a sports bra layer under a shirt that's already hot enough seems like it would suck, I'm a dude though so idk.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So I cured 85-90% of my slice, and as a reward now I've suddenly started HITTING BEHIND THE BUTT-loving BALL ALL THE TIME. I just hit a bucket of balls, and probably half my swings ripped up a chunk of turf 3 inches behind the ball. I think I'm swaying to the right during my backswing but gently caress if I know. Could be early release, but again, gently caress IF I KNOW.

I want to murder golf.

Also, its 100 degrees.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Keep your 'internal girdle" of abdominal muscles tighter and back flatter

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
"Flatter?" I have a slight arch in my lower back at address, like I'm sticking my butt out. Is that too much?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lincoln posted:

"Flatter?" I have a slight arch in my lower back at address, like I'm sticking my butt out. Is that too much?

Yeah get a little bit less lordotic, your butt is gonna be out from you screwing your feet in and keeping your feet apart, you dont need to flex your spine to push it further, because when you're swinging you're losing that arch and that's probably why you're hitting behind the ball. That's my guess without seeing your swing, obviously it could be something different in your shoulders or something, but that's a pretty common cause

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Suprfli6 posted:

What kind of info were you looking for? Most of GolfWRX is pretty good but certain topics are always shitshows.

I was after some info on irons since I'm getting back into playing after a few years away from the game.

Every single topic immediately devolves into "I hit X brand 20 yards further than this other X brand!"

Followed by "oh yeah? Well I think your lovely X brand stinks! I've hit them and they suck."

Also "these clubs feel great!" / "no they feel garbage, idiot!" etc etc

Like I said, I've been away from the game for a while and even I realise that clubs nowadays are basically the same and any major performance variance is down to fit / shaft / strike. What are these autists even arguing over lol

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Homestar Runner posted:

Like I said, I've been away from the game for a while and even I realise that clubs nowadays are basically the same and any major performance variance is down to fit / shaft / strike. What are these autists even arguing over lol

Brand loyalty.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ping g400 looks intriguing:

https://mygolfspy.com/2017-ping-g400-drivers-2/

I think I'm going to pick up a driving iron to screw around with too, anyone use one? I like the looks of the Srixon u65, titleist t-mb, and the cobra king utility.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Well, I just did a fitting session and the G400 irons were sweet feeling, and 12 yards short, on average, to the other clubs. I200, Cobra F7s, taylormade m2s, and a couple others. The F7s, which I went with despite liking the best hits better on some others, were 168/169 carry versus 158 carry at best on the G400s. The F7 lost less distance and stayed on line better than any of the others on misfits, although the g400 was excellent at that as well.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I got a Titleist 712U on a steal and really like it. If the T-MB were a decent price I would upgrade to it. I have the 3 iron with a graphite hybrid shaft and it was the best golf club choice last year.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

718 T-MB so baller

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

torgeaux posted:

Well, I just did a fitting session and the G400 irons were sweet feeling, and 12 yards short, on average, to the other clubs. I200, Cobra F7s, taylormade m2s, and a couple others. The F7s, which I went with despite liking the best hits better on some others, were 168/169 carry versus 158 carry at best on the G400s. The F7 lost less distance and stayed on line better than any of the others on misfits, although the g400 was excellent at that as well.

Out of curiosity, were you using the same shaft with every club?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

718 T-MB so baller

I'll be honest, the T-MB and U65 are so pretty I'd have a tough time getting rid of one even if I couldn't hit it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

718 T-MB so baller

holy poo poo those are gorgeous

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

718 T-MB so baller

I have never, ever seen a full set of T-MBs, only the 3 iron. I don't think even pros play a full set. Am I wrong? What gives?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My new Mizunos came just in time for my lesson this afternoon, the impure thoughts i've had about them all week long were 100% justified. :flashfap:

My instructor and I finally figured out how to make the interlock grip work and feel comfortable for me today by making me take a strong grip with my left hand and basically making it so I can see the logo on my glove when I look down at the ball. This helped me turn my hands over and really get some speed in my swing. It definitely feels a bit different to grip and swing that way but it doesn't feel horrible and awkward like it used to when I tried to correct the grip on my own. I worked on my 4 and 5 iron for most of the lesson and the 10-15 shots I hit flush with the new grip went straight, high, and far. I now understand why people have such a boner for Mizunos. The last 30 balls with my driver and 3w after trying the new grip were almost all either misses to the left or absolutely bombed down the center 250 yards or more. Two I hit beyond the end fence and out of the range which I've never come close to doing in my entire life. I think I'm almost rid of my lovely fade/slice and I'm ready to start my new golf relationship with a draw/straight shot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Homestar Runner posted:

Out of curiosity, were you using the same shaft with every club?

With one exception. I used a graphite shaft (stiff) on the F7s the second time around, but otherwise, yes, same shaft.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
See now that's really interesting.

If all things being equal, the G400s are flying 12 yards shorter for you than the Cobras (or any other premium club for that matter), I can only assume that the launch conditions for the Pings at impact just don't suit your particular swing type / hand action.

I have nothing against Ping or Cobra (I don't play either brand's clubs) but I bet it's entirely possible for someone else with the same relative swing speed as you to get the completely opposite result.

I mean, it's not as though Ping is releasing a total lemon to the market, right?

This kinda thing leaves me really curious. Maybe a goon golf techie (Lyman / Kameh) can weigh in? Is this really what gets the autism wars started at Golfwrx?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Played like poo poo today but I don't care because it was fun. First course wasn't very scenic so no pictures. Also it was like 400 degrees.

Tomorrow 2 rounds back to back but at least it will only be 390 degrees. These ones are also harder but right on the river so yay pictures.

E: 42 putts on 18 holes today and still shot 103.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

Kameh posted:

I have never, ever seen a full set of T-MBs, only the 3 iron. I don't think even pros play a full set. Am I wrong? What gives?

From what I have read on gwrx, State side only the 716 2/3/4 released. Japan saw the full 716 3-pw set so a lot of people imported them. Now they are releasing a full set in the US under the 718. No clue on if they made any changes between the 716 and 718.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Homestar Runner posted:

See now that's really interesting.

If all things being equal, the G400s are flying 12 yards shorter for you than the Cobras (or any other premium club for that matter), I can only assume that the launch conditions for the Pings at impact just don't suit your particular swing type / hand action.

I have nothing against Ping or Cobra (I don't play either brand's clubs) but I bet it's entirely possible for someone else with the same relative swing speed as you to get the completely opposite result.

I mean, it's not as though Ping is releasing a total lemon to the market, right?

This kinda thing leaves me really curious. Maybe a goon golf techie (Lyman / Kameh) can weigh in? Is this really what gets the autism wars started at Golfwrx?

I'm sure swing characteristics have a lot to do with it. The fact that of the six I tried, the others were pretty tightly grouped was interesting. When just hitting, no monitor, the 400s made the initial cut. Once on the monitor, they were eliminated almost immediately. Like I said, forgiving, misfits weren't badly penalized, but my best shots with them were pure, felt great, but consistently short. The pro wasn't surprised, but that was not specific to the 400s as I was his first with them.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

DoctaFun posted:

Ping g400 looks intriguing:

https://mygolfspy.com/2017-ping-g400-drivers-2/

I think I'm going to pick up a driving iron to screw around with too, anyone use one? I like the looks of the Srixon u65, titleist t-mb, and the cobra king utility.

I have a 716 T-MB 2i and swapping out my hybrid for that was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Club is a laser beam off the tee and I'll take a 240y+ tee shot that never goes more than 10y off-line over being able to hit the ball 120' high with a 30% chance of hooking it like crazy any day.

If you play in wet conditions where you value carry distance more than the 0.5% that we get in SoCal, you might think differently.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Josh Lyman posted:

718 T-MB so baller

Goddamn

DoctaFun posted:

I play the ping s56's and I love them. Less offset than titleist MBs, small club head and top line, but still offers some forgiveness.

Also durable as F, mine still look brand new.

And they feel great, not 'buttery soft', but good feedback and feel great when struck well.

The s56's are forged right? I think the s55's are cast but "feel like forged". Whatever, they easily the best club I have hit and put my old school clubs to shame.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bilirubin posted:

Goddamn

The s56's are forged right? I think the s55's are cast but "feel like forged". Whatever, they easily the best club I have hit and put my old school clubs to shame.

The s56 are cast, they are I think one generation before the 55s. If I remember right, the Anser irons were the first forged ping irons.

The s56s still feel great to me though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Megapost incoming.

Homestar Runner posted:

The main things to check for are shaft length, loft, and CG placement. Longer length and stronger loft will obviously produce more distance, but a low/back CG placement reduces spin and will also make an iron go farther.

Unknownmass posted:

From what I have read on gwrx, State side only the 716 2/3/4 released. Japan saw the full 716 3-pw set so a lot of people imported them. Now they are releasing a full set in the US under the 718. No clue on if they made any changes between the 716 and 718.
The 712U was only available in 2/3/4. The 716 T-MB (and obviously the 718) are available as full sets.

The biggest change with the 718 is the tungsten weighting moving lower and farther into the toe/heel, so it should be slightly more forgiving and launch slightly higher.

Bilirubin posted:

DoctaFun posted:

The s56 are cast, they are I think one generation before the 55s. If I remember right, the Anser irons were the first forged ping irons.

I'm such a dummy. The biggest argument on WRX isn't blade vs. cavity back, it's forged vs. cast.

FWIW, Ping has done testing where they forged and cast heads using the same metal, and their pro staffers couldn't tell the difference.

HOWEVER, for clubs that are actually sold, cast clubs are always made with harder metals.

STILL, "feel" is strongly affected by acoustics, so OEMs could make their cast cavity backs sound more like forged blades if they wanted.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah get a little bit less lordotic, your butt is gonna be out from you screwing your feet in and keeping your feet apart, you dont need to flex your spine to push it further, because when you're swinging you're losing that arch and that's probably why you're hitting behind the ball. That's my guess without seeing your swing, obviously...

Thanks for the advice -- I just played 18 at the local par-3, and hit like dogshit on the driving range, but became more comfortable with a flatter back once I got on the course. Had very few problems hitting behind the ball, but I pulled to the left A LOT today, and that's very, very unusual for me as my mis-hits are always slices or pushes. Not sure if the two are related.

edit: Totally unrelated, but I've improved my putting tremendously by not hovering over the ball. I've always assumed you needed your eyes directly over the ball. I've backed off a bit, rested the heel of the putter against the green at address, and accepted a slightly curved swing path. Everything's much more on target now.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DoctaFun posted:

Got the s55s today, which came with Modus3 shafts fwiw. These hit fantastic, and have really narrowed my dispersion. I'm very excited to get them onto the course.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Walked my first round at a Par 3 today. Thanks thread for the advice on both picking up a cheap push cart and starting slow. Highest club I used was a hybrid and it made the game very enjoyable.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Back from Niagara Falls golf trip!

Wednesday was OK, but it was hot. We were at Whirlpool, which was an OK course. I was putting for birdie/par on almost every hole and ended with 42(!!!) loving putts and finished with 105.

Lost one Thursday round to severe thunderstorms/tornadoes but squeaked in the morning one (Usher's Creek) playing the last 6 holes in pouring cold rain. Fairly tight course with rear end in a top hat rangers that expect a 3.5 hour round from a group with 6 20+ handicap golfers, which is silly considering the greens were set up for a semi-pro tournament with tough pin placements, the rough was 4 inches deep and the fescue so bad it would make Rory blush. We missed out on Battlefield which is apparently the much nicer of the 2 courses. I shot 115 in the pouring rain, 40 putts.

This morning we played one of the nicest courses Ive ever played, Grand Niagara. Its a really nice layout course that isnt super hard or anything but getting too confident can put you into trouble just as easily. I had my best round of the 3 days with a 102, and that was including 4 triples, all on par 4s where I got too bold and either tried to cut corners or tried to play too long and put myself in the poo poo. The bunkers still had water in them from yesterday so we basically had to treat them as ground under repair after they watched me try to hit out of one and put it 30 yards in the bush. Also figured out my putting finally, 30 putts on the day. Won a skin with a sweet par too. Pushed my tee shot to the right into the fescue, miraculously found it in a tiny opening and just lobbed it out into the fairway 50 yards, hit a perfect 6 iron from 170 out to inside 10 feet and sunk the putt. Felt so good. Then I immediately doubled the par 3 after. :v:

Super fun trip and I would recommend Grand Niagara to everyone if you ever find yourself near the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Does anyone make a carry bag that ISN'T a stand bag? I hate stand bags, don't want a cart bag either.