Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

bewilderment posted:

Regarding Hollow Knight White Palace chat earlier -
White Palace isn't the only place in the game where you need to pogo, there's multiple platforming challenges before that. I probably retried the one in Deepnest more times than I retried any section of White Palace.
White Palace also gives you infinite retries if you equip the Hiveblood, Deep Focus and Grubsong charms for minimal downtime so you're both constantly regenerating HP, and also get HP-fuel everything time you get hurt and turn that HP-fuel into twice the normal right.

I think you actually have to do less pogo-ing in the White Palace compared to some of the other optional challenges of the game, especially if you're doing some things before you get the double jump (and the game expects that, there's only a few things that are obviously "you need double jump to get here and we didn't expect you to manipulate an enemy over here").

There isn't another part of the game where there's an enemy positioned in such a way where you can't jump past it without getting hit by it and then pinballing into a sawblade. There isn't another part of the game that has platforming challenges nearly so long from start to finish. The whole area is draining and unfun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Different people play games for different reasons. Some people need concrete objectives like story progress or achievements to motivate them, others like the dopamine drip of constant progression and unlocks like in a Diablo game or a roguelite like Binding of Isaac, still others like mastery and self-improvement and chasing high scores or even the social aspect. A good game will have a lot of crossover between groups but sometimes a game just isn't your thing and there's nothing wrong with that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, I just didn't see the appeal of that sort of loot treadmill endless re-running in Diablo-like games.
You beat the game on the hardest difficulty or whatever, good job.
Now you're playing again, to... get better loot? Which just lets you... play again but faster?

Why not just design the game so the player character has the stats they're expected to have and go from there?

edit: most MMOs have at least partially realised this, like how WoW got rid of weapon proficiency years ago, or how FF14 recently patched out stat allocation on levelling after realising everyone just dumps everything into one stat, so when you level you just get a bonus to that stat automatically.

Good post/username combo.

I think Path of Exile fixed this one by putting in a secret final boss which requires a game-shattering power level to defeat. You have a new goal and that goal is "kick God's arse." You'll only find that out if you do some experimental postgame grinding.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Grim dawn has super late game stuff as well which is a pretty good draw for the people who like that sort of 'perfecting a build' content.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bewilderment posted:

I don't understand why people are talking about "doing things at end game" and whether those things are good or bad in a game that you don't pay a monthly fee for and where there's at least 20 hours of content preceding it.

You did it! You beat the game! You got to the end! You can play something else if you want! You've gotten your money's worth.

For the record, I did exactly this with The Division, since it actually has a fun 30 hour, well-written main story. I know it's hard to scroll back up to the top of the page, but the only reason I was talking about D3's endgame was because the people who obsessively play it will happily tell you to skip the story and all that cumbersome leveling nonsense and get to the "good" part of the game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

For the record, I did exactly this with The Division, since it actually has a fun 30 hour, well-written main story. I know it's hard to scroll back up to the top of the page, but the only reason I was talking about D3's endgame was because the people who obsessively play it will happily tell you to skip the story and all that cumbersome leveling nonsense and get to the "good" part of the game.
Yeah gently caress the people that said The Division's world and story wasn't worth hanging about for and to just rush 30 so you can get your nose to the grind faster.
gently caress people's obsessions with numbers grinding in general, that poo poo is dragging games down.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

bewilderment posted:

Not only has pogoing been present in optional challenges throughout the rest of the game, but... actually, looking closer, the rest of the post is inaccurate as well.
The checkpoints are on any solid surface with a floor (but yes, you can accidentally checkpoint yourself backwards if you fall).
The only thing I didn't do in the game was the flower delivery side quest and I can't recall any other point where pogoing was strictly necessary. To the point where I don't think I used it at all before the white palace.
Check points definitely are not any floor, there are a load of platforms you can firmly plant yourself on that don't count as checkpoints but arbitrary ones that do.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

Yakuza 0 is so drat clunky. Movement doesn't feel good which hurts the combat, there's fading out and loading for everything, none of the minigames I've tried have been fun. Also I thought it was going to be more GTAish but it seems to be set in a small chunk of high street and you progress by walking forward until a cutscene happens. I guess that's my fault for not looking into the game more before getting it, but I'm really not sure if I can be bothered going on if there doesn't seem to be any fun anywhere I turn

I have an old Gamepro that had a section covering GTA-clones that were coming out after GTA3's release, and Mafia and Yakuza were among the set. It's easy to assume it's gonna be like those kinds of games considering the subject material, but the Yakuza games are more like beat em ups with large hub areas. They try to simulate the feeling of a small part of the city instead of the city itself, which is why it's all walking and no driving vehicles.

The controls definitely feel stiff compared to Western games, and saving here is even clunkier than Nier:Automata, but it's part of the learning curve of the game.

Like the other poster said, if the humor of the game or the bombastic combat or the convoluted plot doesn't appeal to you, you're probably not gonna get the most out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz2k1PM_MNMk-ygchHL4yR4Mk2RbFFesZ

I made a playlist of the gameplay and I tried to sample as much of the core gameplay without spoiling any plot as best as I could. Majima is at his best in this game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

The story in Diablo 2 was skipped over as was 1. The stories of those games are "demons over there kill them" and then you do that by repeatedly murdering guys to get slightly better loot over and over and over.

The only thing that set D3s story apart was the maps were far more standardized than the other games.

I'm not really sure how this is a response to my post, but I will say I kind of disagree. People actually seemed to get into the settings, characters and plot of 1 and 2 to a much greater degree than they did 3. Of course you're going to blow right past everything on your tenth character, but it was a lot more memorable and engaging.

Part of the problem is that the game is just incredibly easy on normal mode. You could probably beat it using nothing but the default autoattack you start out with. Maybe select 4 random skills and have your cat walk across the keyboard for boss fights. Diablo 1 and 2 weren't exactly super difficult on normal mode, but they were several notches above 3. 3 is the gaming equivalent of shoving fistful after fistful of unflavored popcorn into your mouth.

I think another problem is how sterile and unmemorable all of the monster and level design was. I laughed at the people complaining about how "bright and happy" the game was before it came out, but in retrospect I think they were kinda right.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think a big thing about the 'diablo 3 isn't dark enough' crowd, of which I was one, is that 'not dark enough' isn't actually a good summary of the complaint. It's not about the color scale or the gamma or the actual absence of light, which I think is what people interpreted 'it's not dark enough' as.

The entire mouth feel of the game is off, the gothic horror feel is gone and replaced by a scooby-doo-esque 'spooky' quality. Everything is bright and shiny and blue and while there is blood all over the place it doesn't actually stand out against the background very well, artistically. A simple example is that most of the butcher dungeon is red blood against red/brown tile, where everything just kind of blends together, instead of say red blood against a highly colorful harem from Act 2 in D2. It's all this general sort of 'feel' of the art that the final product got quite wrong.

And thats not even getting into the actual story elements and the way they're dragged in front of your face.

Everybody remembers that by their 10th character they didn't care about the story anymore so they sort of default to 'nobody cares about the story in these games' but you can't forget that you played a 10th character because the first character was so fun! You need that really great first experience to make you want to keep playing and part of that initial experience is the setting and art style and story direction and all that jazz.

Oh, and as a side note.

I think the way the D3 dev team handled the 'it's not dark enough' crowd was extremely childish and indicative of their entire design philosophy. They openly mocked the opinion on the forum, added subtle rainbows into the game, and then added a blatant ultra shiny pony level. Showing that they didn't understand the complaint either and rather than listen to criticism, that I think was pretty meaningful and truthful in hindisght, they just flipped off the audience and doubled down into what is generally considered an extremely disappointing sequel.

Also I'm still mad about the WoW artstyle.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Jul 20, 2017

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
For people who didn't play d3 recently, the idea is you own Reaper of Souls and play adventure mode where you do challenges in each act that after completing reward you with loot and crafting materials.
After you get that you can recraft your gear to better suit your needs, change magic attributes to better fit whatever skillset you chose.
Levelling still goes on in the paragon system infinitely.
Loot equals your build. There are 6-7 item sets for each character that basically boost certain skills to insane levels requiring you to pick other skills to play into those.
Over the course of one play session you're pretty much guaranteed to get a set item drop, which you can rejigger in the cube into another item of that set to minimize the grind.
Uniques are more about getting a new ability or removing a cooldown to an ability
The thorns crusader I've been playing for example had a constant rain of barrels full of spikes which thanks to a unique item activated every 5 seconds by itself.

4 of the 6 set items I got as a reward for playing the season for a little bit. It's the least grindy feeling game about grinding.

Dethanc
May 22, 2005
I've been playing Pillars of Eternity recently and I've really been enjoying it, despite it having many drag-down-worthy issues.

The thing that really drags it down though is the constant feeling of deja-vu. A lot of the areas seem to be modeled so closely on areas from the Baldur's Gate series that I can't help but feel like I've been there before.

The docks area of the city in particular feels nearly identical to the one from Baldur's Gate 2.
For comparison, here's the docks area from Baldur's Gate 2:

And here's the docks area from Pillars of Eternity:

At times it really feels like playing a bizarro version of Baldur's Gate 2 that was made in another dimension. At the start of the game an evil wizard called Irenicus Thaos awakens your true nature as a Bhaalspawn Watcher. You must search for answers in the city of Baldur's Gate Athkatla Defiance Bay, etc.

Other things dragging it down:
  • Too many 'unique' magical items that don't do anything special, in some cases being only cosmetically different from standard items
  • 'Backer-made' garbage content liberally sprinkled all over everything
  • Unnecessary attempts to be 'dark and edgy' that come off as out of place compared to the older games it is based on
  • All the same frustrating pathfinding and combat AI issues you remember from the Infinity Engine games

I still really like this game and it does a lot of things better than Baldur's Gate, like infinite inventory and per-encounter skills. Still a lot dragging it down, though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Agent355 posted:

I think the way the D3 dev team handled the 'it's not dark enough' crowd was extremely childish and indicative of their entire design philosophy. They openly mocked the opinion on the forum, added subtle rainbows into the game, and then added a blatant ultra shiny pony level.

That owned though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Yardbomb posted:

That owned though.

Seriously that was hilarious.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Yardbomb posted:

That owned though.

:agreed:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, its so far behind us now that its hard to remember specifics, but some of the biggest complainers were literally complaining about how the game was too brightly lit.

"Just smear some dirt over everything, that's how art works."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seriously that was hilarious.

It's true! I agree with the rest of the complaint though. D3's plot was fun to play through but it had nowhere near the bleak, desperate feeling of D1 and D2 that made them so memorable, bright lighting or not.

Finding out the prince was dead in D1 and used as a sacrifice was just so depressing and scary and genuinely sad, where the big reveal of Hakan II being Belial is basically played like a Scooby Doo villain pulling off the mask, when it really should be just as hosed up and bleak.

I still thought it was fun, on console it's basically Gauntlet with an inventory system and fun physics, but they really blew the tone compared to the first two games by getting way too into their own character writing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dewgy posted:

Finding out the prince was dead in D1 and used as a sacrifice was just so depressing and scary and genuinely sad, where the big reveal of Hakan II being Belial is basically played like a Scooby Doo villain pulling off the mask, when it really should be just as hosed up and bleak.

The whole story is like a saturday morning cartoon complete with the whole act 3 being all "ha ha ha you and your puny catapults can't defeat me nephalem" followed by "ha ha ha you might have defeated my army commander but you're no match for me" which repeats like three more times up until you kill the act boss. And then bam act 4 where boob diablo goes "you can't defeat me mortal ha ha ha". It was super grating the first time I've played through the story and the game insisting on just cramming this down your throat constantly because more content. Act 5 is the same but a bit closer to the Diablo 2 story feel. Of course the color scheme is black and bright blue/purple because blizzard universe is color coded and death is a cool edgy robedude but the scenery and music direction was pretty okay. Of course you can ignore all that as your Tuollaf the 4th thunderfarts through the game on the second playthrough.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

1stGear posted:

Yeah, its so far behind us now that its hard to remember specifics, but some of the biggest complainers were literally complaining about how the game was too brightly lit.

"Just smear some dirt over everything, that's how art works."

Actually, in oil painting, varnish recoloring technique is exactly that. :)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Vic posted:

The whole story is like a saturday morning cartoon complete with the whole act 3 being all "ha ha ha you and your puny catapults can't defeat me nephalem" followed by "ha ha ha you might have defeated my army commander but you're no match for me" which repeats like three more times up until you kill the act boss. And then bam act 4 where boob diablo goes "you can't defeat me mortal ha ha ha". It was super grating the first time I've played through the story and the game insisting on just cramming this down your throat constantly because more content. Act 5 is the same but a bit closer to the Diablo 2 story feel. Of course the color scheme is black and bright blue/purple because blizzard universe is color coded and death is a cool edgy robedude but the scenery and music direction was pretty okay. Of course you can ignore all that as your Tuollaf the 4th thunderfarts through the game on the second playthrough.

you'd think after having his rear end kicked a few times already, diablo would stop being so smug and actually take threats seriously

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Act 5 has some goddamn terrible bosses though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Finally got around to playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. You know....the thing dragging it down the most by far is simply the baggage. If it wasn't a Mass Effect game, I would likely think it was great. But playing the original trilogy as the Savior of the Galaxy to playing Andromeda as Space Real Estate Agent just makes it....meh.

My other major nitpick:

I know a lot of people whined about the original Paragon/Renegade system, but going from that to the other extreme (like 7-8 different emotional "tone" icons, which I mostly completely forgot what meant what some 3 minutes after the initial explanation) wasn't the fix anyone was hoping for. At least Paragon/Renegade was "be nice/be a jerk". I know the Heart means "touchy-feely" and one of the spirals (the square one?) means "cold logic" but the others? No clue. Nor do I have any idea how they might be affecting the outcome.

Other minor things:

- the spending of AVP or whatever it's called: I just can't be bothered to care. I assume like some of the subtle things in ME2/3 it will somehow affect the outcome of the final mission, but I think I have spent it one time so far, and am now too busy rushing through the main story missions on Narrative difficulty just so I can see the ending.
- the Kett seem pretty bumbling right from the get-go. At least the Reapers felt powerful and relentless. The whole time with the Kett has had me mentally going "lol you guys aren't very good at this are you?" They just don't have enough personality to carry a game as the main villain.
- what on earth did they do to the Asari faces. I know everyone was complaining about the facial animation, but what on earth? There only seem to be two faces now, with minor differences. Lexi has one of them and she looks awful. Bummer since she has Natalie Dormer's amazing voice.
- no Quarians. I guess it makes sense from a narrative standpoint since they've been rolling on the whole "traveling in an Ark until we can find a home" thing for the whole series. But still. Not one?

I do sincerely hope that the cat people are a nod to the Kilrathi from Wing Commander. If so - nice one. :)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

Act 5 has some goddamn terrible bosses though.

act 5 had bosses? i walked up to "death incarnate" and he melted before me. i dont think thats a boss

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

HaB posted:

Finally got around to playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. You know....the thing dragging it down the most by far is simply the baggage. If it wasn't a Mass Effect game, I would likely think it was great. But playing the original trilogy as the Savior of the Galaxy to playing Andromeda as Space Real Estate Agent just makes it....meh.

I actually kind of liked this aspect of the game. "The villain wants to blow up the whole setting!" isn't a very inspired plot in the first place and it's been pretty heavily overused in recent games. It would have been refreshing to have an RPG where the conflict is a little more grounded, even if the stakes are high for the main characters.

Unfortunately, as they should have learned from Dragon Age 2, nobody on the Bioware writing staff knows how to do a smaller-scale, grounded story so we ended up with ME:A instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HaB posted:

Yeah, basically the main thing that killed it for me was that it tried to do two things at the same time, and as a result neither of them well. One the one hand, you had the whole thing about colonising a completely unknown piece of space, struggling for survival against a hostile environment, exploring new worlds, pushing the last frontier. That's got some serious potential. It's basically a classic Star Trek adventure, and that's the kind of space opera that Mass Effect does really well. On the other hand, you've got the whole thing about some group of zealots trying to remake the entire galaxy according to their vision, involving some ancient technology of a procreator race. That's a bit more by the numbers, but also pretty classic Mass Effect.

The problem was that both of these actively got into the way of each other. The whole exploration aspect was undermined because as it turned out no matter where you go, there are already dudes there. Not really much fun in blazing trails and making first contact with alien species when some random smuggling motherfucker already got there a year ago to sell the aliens space dope. At the same time, the story about the evil badguys never really gets much momentum going because you spend fully half your time exploring and settling random planets. All the exploration prevents any sense of urgency or pressure that could drive the story.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HaB posted:

I know a lot of people whined about the original Paragon/Renegade system, but going from that to the other extreme (like 7-8 different emotional "tone" icons, which I mostly completely forgot what meant what some 3 minutes after the initial explanation) wasn't the fix anyone was hoping for. At least Paragon/Renegade was "be nice/be a jerk". I know the Heart means "touchy-feely" and one of the spirals (the square one?) means "cold logic" but the others? No clue. Nor do I have any idea how they might be affecting the outcome.

I just finished a bunch of stuff on that first planet (Eos?) and am now at that point in the game loop where I wander around my cool ship talking to people. I have the same issues with the conversation trees, and really have no idea if my choices are actually affecting my character's progression or options. If I remember correctly, in 2 and 3 if you were doing enough Renegade/Paragon stuff you get options during the conversation specifically for those styles. Since I started, I've only encountered ONE spot where I had an option to click and do something in the middle of a conversation cut scene.

HaB posted:

- no Quarians. I guess it makes sense from a narrative standpoint since they've been rolling on the whole "traveling in an Ark until we can find a home" thing for the whole series. But still. Not one?

On a recent Giant Bomb, they mention that there is a terminal post-game you can access that is a pretty obvious lead in to going to help the Quarians in some DLC that will probably never happen.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I hate how hard it is to find text walkthroughs these days. I don't want to scrub through a 20 minute video with somebody narrating what they're doing. I just want to search a text file for what I'm looking for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, basically the main thing that killed it for me was that it tried to do two things at the same time, and as a result neither of them well. One the one hand, you had the whole thing about colonising a completely unknown piece of space, struggling for survival against a hostile environment, exploring new worlds, pushing the last frontier. That's got some serious potential. It's basically a classic Star Trek adventure, and that's the kind of space opera that Mass Effect does really well. On the other hand, you've got the whole thing about some group of zealots trying to remake the entire galaxy according to their vision, involving some ancient technology of a procreator race. That's a bit more by the numbers, but also pretty classic Mass Effect.

The problem was that both of these actively got into the way of each other. The whole exploration aspect was undermined because as it turned out no matter where you go, there are already dudes there. Not really much fun in blazing trails and making first contact with alien species when some random smuggling motherfucker already got there a year ago to sell the aliens space dope. At the same time, the story about the evil badguys never really gets much momentum going because you spend fully half your time exploring and settling random planets. All the exploration prevents any sense of urgency or pressure that could drive the story.

Half the problem, I think was the dramatic shift in expectations of the main character. Shepard is an unstoppable badass who kills bad guys by the thousands, kills self-proclaimed gods without breaking a sweat, thumbs her nose at galactic governments when they get in her way, and is a big enough hero to break a cycle of extinction that's been going on for millions of years.

Ryder is a shy, dorky nerd who's in so far over her head she can't see daylight and is trying the best she can to make do when everyone around her calls her a disappointment and they're all going to die if she's their best hope - and she herself kind of agrees.

I personally find Ryder a far more likeable and interesting character, but I understand the shock some players had going from Shepard to Ryder.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nostradingus posted:

I hate how hard it is to find text walkthroughs these days. I don't want to scrub through a 20 minute video with somebody narrating what they're doing. I just want to search a text file for what I'm looking for.

:same:

Of course, I'm the dork who used to print out online walkthroughs and put them in binders.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aleph Null posted:

:same:

Of course, I'm the dork who used to print out online walkthroughs and put them in binders.

Gamefaqs is still around and normally works?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cythereal posted:

Half the problem, I think was the dramatic shift in expectations of the main character. Shepard is an unstoppable badass who kills bad guys by the thousands, kills self-proclaimed gods without breaking a sweat, thumbs her nose at galactic governments when they get in her way, and is a big enough hero to break a cycle of extinction that's been going on for millions of years.

Ryder is a shy, dorky nerd who's in so far over her head she can't see daylight and is trying the best she can to make do when everyone around her calls her a disappointment and they're all going to die if she's their best hope - and she herself kind of agrees.

I personally find Ryder a far more likeable and interesting character, but I understand the shock some players had going from Shepard to Ryder.

Eh...i dont really agree. I was on board early on with a smaller more contained story. I like those, because plots today (especially in video games) are all BIG and WORLD/GALAXY ENDING. This sets up a nice smaller story about survival and meeting new races, but then its like they got afraid of leaving their comfort zone and retold Mass Effect.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

ilmucche posted:

hell it's even better than ever, what with HTML guides and actual links (rather than having to search for specific weird strings to jump through sections in a text only guide!).

just go to gamefaqs you goobers

video tutorials are poo poo, though they can be useful when trying to parse info that is difficult to convey in text

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Nostradingus posted:

Agreed, though just this week I had to wrestle with some terribly written text guides. In fairness one may have been ESL, but I'm constantly amazed at how often guide writers are incapable of giving clear directions.

Also I wish there was more coverage of the middle ground between gentle hints and outright spoilers for puzzle stuff. If I've resorted to looking at a guide, I want someone to explain the logic so I can understand the puzzle even if I couldn't solve it.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

KingSlime posted:

video tutorials are poo poo, though they can be useful when trying to parse info that is difficult to convey in text

This is the problem I have with GameFAQs and a few others, I cannot loving stand it when you've been wandering around an area for ages looking for an item or a quest, and then you load up a guide and it's like "from directly where the cutscene ends, proceed left".
Write real directions instead of ones that rely on context! :argh: I had this problem a shitton with the Batman games because I kept leaving the game for 2 weeks at a time and completely forgetting what I was doing, then the guide would be like "turn directly down this hallway". Ugh.

I replayed Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 recently cause it was on sale. Still pretty fun, albeit simple and easy in its combat.
My complaint is that they had this cool idea of splitting the story into two halves for two factions, but because of that requiring twice the writing, the actual story feels pretty short. I understand that's the way it needs to be, but by the end of the story it feels kinda rushed and pulls some stuff out of its rear end.
And both the storylines come back into one story anyway, with an almost identical ending apart from who's giving a speech, so it doesn't even feel worth the split. Just put more effort into one decent story :colbert:
IMO the first game was sort of janky and basic but I think I still preferred it to 2.
Did anyone even play these games? I don't think I've ever met a single other person who did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I played the first one. It wasn't quite as good as a men Legends 2, but it was solid.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ilmucche posted:

I have a really good one for System Shock 2. It's over 100 pages and has screenshots and is lovely.

But, yeah, I'd print them out because ALT-TAB didn't work too well back in the day and I had a single fat CRT monitor plugged into my VGA video card.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Did anyone even play these games? I don't think I've ever met a single other person who did.
Played the first one, it was pretty good. There was a DC equivalent as well, which was a little weird because it opened with Superman and Batman fistfighting robots who could be destroyed with a punch from either character. Oh, and the power recovery time was really weird when most of Batman's powers were throwing things from his belt.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So I bought Grim Dawn because of this thread. It better not suck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ilmucche posted:

There's that or you could just type in '(GAME) walkthrough no commentary' find the cutscene you were at last time you played and continue on from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My favorite are the people who start guides two days after launch and never return to them