Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Cygni posted:

I don't think there's gonna be a sudden explosion in CPU parallelism. People predicted that 8 years ago (hence Bulldozer), and it never happened.

At the risk of being a parallelism-apologist, I think it's going to happen.

The trouble with Bulldozer was that the IPC sucked, was worse than Intel's chips at 4 cores, and so everyone just regarded it as bad and ignored it.

The trouble with parallelizing game engines is that it has to seem worth it to the developers, and 4 cores is a god drat rut. Parallel algorithms usually come with higher overhead (except the "embarrassingly parallel" ones). So your complex single thread algorithm naively parallelized gives you 160% of the performance when using all 4 cores. Which sounds like poo poo, so efforts are usually abandoned at that point. But at 8 cores it'd be 320% of the performance, and if they then decide to put the effort in to improve it, they might be able to achieve 6-700% the performance eventually.

I'll grant that game engines are probably the most challenging thing to parallelize: you've got 16ms deadlines at 60fps. There's really hard upper limits to the communication costs you can suffer here.

But we've only just got parallel rendering APIs like Vulkan/DX12 a year ago. We're only just getting good mainstream CPUs with more than 4 cores this year. We're starting to see some game engines that are proving you can actually use that power. I think the logjam will break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm glad about the i5's being 6 core. I wonder what will happen to the price.

eames
May 9, 2009

~rumors on the anandtech forums~ are that the i5 models will have much more competitive turbo clocks than they used to, the 8700K will still be the fastest processor but it won't be as big of a gap as with the 7700K vs 7600K.
I guess they're looking to make the 8600K the "sweet spot" for gamers so it compares favourably to the 6C Ryzen equivalents.

eames fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 19, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

B-Mac posted:

Anyone have experience delidding a 6700k? I have one core that gets 13C hotter than the others when playing some games, up to 86C spikes at times. Fairly certain the cryorig h7 is mounted properly with max-4 paste and I have no desire to go water. My idles temps are between 25-30C.

There's quite a few people on HardOCP with good results for delidding that gen of processor https://hardforum.com/threads/6700k-delid-before-and-after-results.1878870/

Both temp and fan speed way down under the same load on a heavy overclock. Keep in mind that most games favor one of their cores more heavily than others and you will see a temp differential because that one will be hitting turbo clocks more than the rest. But it does seem like a good candidate regardless.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Outside of the Intel NUC, is there no way to obtain a CPU with an iris pro 580? I'd really love to build something with an 6685R.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I've been using a 4 core/8 thread sandy bridge laptop since I got it in 2011. I credit a lot of how it holds up, despite the normal clock speed being 2.0 ghz, to simply having all those threads around.

It's because of this that I'd refuse to get a plain 4 core CPU for anything meant to be used a lot now, especially with the way browsers love multiprocess now. Maybe a 6c/6t could be acceptable because of having 6 real cores trumping 8 logical cores, but I'd say 4c/4t is a foolish thing to buy new.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Xeom posted:

Outside of the Intel NUC, is there no way to obtain a CPU with an iris pro 580? I'd really love to build something with an 6685R.

You can get a Thinkpad P70 with the mobile Xeon option, but it'll cost you as much as a used car. The desktop models listed on Ark seem to be literally nonexistent, I don't know what uses them if anything.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 20, 2017

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Bought the rockitcool delid and relid kit along with some thermal grizzly condocunaut. Full yolo hope I don't destroy my CPU.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fishmech posted:

I've been using a 4 core/8 thread sandy bridge laptop since I got it in 2011. I credit a lot of how it holds up, despite the normal clock speed being 2.0 ghz, to simply having all those threads around.

It's because of this that I'd refuse to get a plain 4 core CPU for anything meant to be used a lot now, especially with the way browsers love multiprocess now. Maybe a 6c/6t could be acceptable because of having 6 real cores trumping 8 logical cores, but I'd say 4c/4t is a foolish thing to buy new.

6C/6T seems fine, I can't think of any situation ever where 4C/8T would be preferable to 6C/6T.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Twerk from Home posted:

6C/6T seems fine, I can't think of any situation ever where 4C/8T would be preferable to 6C/6T.

Price (die size), power consumption, and presumably the potential for slightly higher clocks and thus single-thread performance.

Not that I disagree with you; for most cases, 6/6 is a better option than 4/8.

eames
May 9, 2009

meanwhile the PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking megathread still recommends "Four. Maybe two." :argh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Price (die size), power consumption, and presumably the potential for slightly higher clocks and thus single-thread performance.

Not that I disagree with you; for most cases, 6/6 is a better option than 4/8.

Remember, in most games the hyperthread is a ~10% improvement in performance tops. The real-world maximum is about 30% but you don't typically hit that in games.

This is actually the i5 that I was hoping Intel would put on the X299 platform (ideally based on SKL-X so you get the quad-channel RAM - but I guess SKL-X hasn't panned out super well so far)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

eames posted:

meanwhile the PC Building/Upgrading/Parts-picking megathread still recommends "Four. Maybe two." :argh:

Are they wrong? If you're building a budget gaming PC at this instant, and going down to a 2C/4T CPU gets you to a GTX 1060 and a decent SSD that's entirely worth it, especially given how much Intel charges for a basic quad core.

eames
May 9, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Are they wrong? If you're building a budget gaming PC at this instant, and going down to a 2C/4T CPU gets you to a GTX 1060 and a decent SSD that's entirely worth it, especially given how much Intel charges for a basic quad core.

Yeah, Intel is the key word here. Two cores only makes sense at the absolute rock bottom (G4560) or office PCs, anything above that is Ryzen territory. More cores and a free upgrade path. Ryzen 3 will pretty much be the end of the dual core era and 2C/4T will probably bottleneck a 1060 within a year or two.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

"Power users" always forget that regular humans exist, who dont want to spend a lot of money on the thing they use to read twitter, do their taxes, and occasionally play overwatch on at 1080p.

Heres a 3.9Ghz 2C/2T i3 vs a 3.9Ghz (all core turbo) 4C/4T i5:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1889?vs=1865

Sure its faster in most games, but the i3 is nearly exactly half the price. And when paired with a mid tier GPU like a 1060, or lower like a 1050 Ti, you're GPU limited in nearly every game anyway...

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Remember, in most games the hyperthread is a ~10% improvement in performance tops. The real-world maximum is about 30% but you don't typically hit that in games.

Sure, I'm just saying that if you can make a 3.8GHz 6C, you could probably have made it a 4.1GHz or similar 4C, and there are some applications where that might be a worthwhile tradeoff because whatever you're doing happens to be single-thread limited.

But in general more cores is more better, and I too am glad to see Intel finally dipping their toes into the 6C consumer marketplace.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

B-Mac posted:

Bought the rockitcool delid and relid kit along with some thermal grizzly condocunaut. Full yolo hope I don't destroy my CPU.

I did this for my 4790k, reduced temp by 15c

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cygni posted:

"Power users" always forget that regular humans exist, who dont want to spend a lot of money on the thing they use to read twitter, do their taxes, and occasionally play overwatch on at 1080p.

My parents' PC is pretty much just a print server at this point, as that is the reason for its existence in 98% of use cases.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Visidan posted:

I did this for my 4790k, reduced temp by 15c

Hope I get results that great.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cygni posted:

Which wants more cores than 2, because it's the year 2017, and websites are total hogs, especially normal people sites like Facebook.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

honestly it's pretty disappointing to see that the r5 1600 isn't on the recommended list and the i5-7600k still is

there really is nothing better than the g4560 in that price range though

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

honestly it's pretty disappointing to see that the r5 1600 isn't on the recommended list and the i5-7600k still is

there really is nothing better than the g4560 in that price range though

aren't those megathreads only updated every 4 months for the first 3 years and then not updated for 3 more years?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's more "updated once, ever and never again" now

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fishmech posted:

Which wants more cores than 2, because it's the year 2017, and websites are total hogs, especially normal people sites like Facebook.

The future of computing: Imagine ads and data tracking to the face, forever

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I'm convinced buying a 2600K at launch was the best CPU purchase I've ever made. I think my laptop is also Sandy Bridge, and my old MBP is a Nehalem; unfortunately, that one limps a little bit with websites that are full of lovely JavaScript. Or that's just an old OS X install and Safari sucking...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This is probably a stupid question, but can somebody explain in layman terms why more cores almost always means less speed?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It's a combination of a few factors. Power draw and heat output are both big factors, but a lot of it comes down to the fact that they have to coordinate together, and the more things need to be kept in sync the harder it is to do that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

TorakFade posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but can somebody explain in layman terms why more cores almost always means less speed?

Moar cores on one die also mean moar chance of one not to hit a rated speed. So they get better yields by running them at a lower clock also.

Also without process efficiency changes, if you have a fixed power target, less cores can clock higher within the same target.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 21, 2017

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

TorakFade posted:

Physical factors as cited are one good reason, but another reason is, as Sinestro said, that you still cannot parallelize works without introducing any kind of overhead. That overhead grows more as you introduce more worker cores.

https://home.wlu.edu/~whaleyt/classes/parallel/topics/amdahl.html

eames
May 9, 2009

Your weekly dose of "lol X299"

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/888225519141093376

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

X299 looking great. Good work Intel.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Wow there has been some rumors that Intel was going to do redo the socket somehow for X299 due to heat/power issues but I didn't think they were legit at all.

Normally BS problems like that doesn't get into the finished for sale product.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like that's a faulty socket. The pad and pin should be able to handle more current than the traces on the CPU, but if one of the pins wasn't properly springy due to a manufacturing fault or a bit of dust bent it down so it had a weak connection then it'd fail.

Skylake-X has all sorts of other problems, but I don't think this specifically is a reason not to get it if somehow the other problems aren't a big deal for you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe it was a contact issue and sparks flew? The trace is probably way thinner than the contact surface of the pin and pad, and it didn't fry apparently.

eames
May 9, 2009

I do believe it's just too much current for the socket when the CPU is overclocked. The issue isn't completely new, people had similar problems with Socket 1156 at "only" 160W.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2859

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That article blames Foxconn for lovely sockets, though, coincidentally with bad pin to pad contact.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

More Coffee Lake leaks, launching August 22-26: http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-6-core-cpu-specifications-details-leak/

3.7 base, 4.3 single core, 4.0 all core turbo on the 8700k. Doesn't mention a new revision of 1151, either. That locked 65w model looks pretty tasty too, although I cant tell if hit has HT.

7700k for comparison is 4.2 base, 4.5 single core, 4.4 all core, so you give a couple hundred mhz back but gain 4 threads.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Wait, they're doing Z390? Is that supposed to be higher end than Z370 or an outright replacement?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Yup, I can definitely wait one more month for Coffee Lake especially if I can reuse my Z170 mobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Yup, I can definitely wait one more month for Coffee Lake especially if I can reuse my Z170 mobo.

That will probably depend on a bios update. I've got a Gigabyte Z170 and am hoping they update the bios to support coffee lake.

Hey, here's a question, if I change CPUs do I need to reinstall windows? What if I change motherboards to (say, to a Z270)?

Question pertains both to weird driver issues, and also Windows activation.