Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Splatoon 2 is good as hell and also made me realize how my brain associated normal Switch menu sounds with Zelda. It feels weird to hear the game startup sound and then see squids instead of Link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

SM 3D World had a permanent price adjustment to $20, Nintendo Select is basically "everyone already has this" or a game that has numerous sequels competing with it at full price

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects

I'm aware of that, but if that doesn't qualify as a price cut I'm not sure what does. Are you talking about stores putting them on sale or something? Because I see old lovely games nobody would want at full msrp all the time for all consoles.

Sorry if I'm not following what point you're trying to make.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 23, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do people already have 100% video walkthroughs for Splatoon 2 on Youtube?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Now that I've owned a Switch for a couple of days, I can safely say that the Switch is Good. Even the Joy-cons aren't that bad as controllers, so I dunno if I should invest in a pro - at least not for a short while.

There's one thing though: The dock. The potential scratching is dealt with the protective glass screen, but... The way my television is located on a TV desk, I have to have my dock in front of the TV. Hence it's blocking some part of the lower part of the screen, which is usually reserved for status or menu stuff. It's not great and means I have to invest in new furniture if I want it solved. Hidden expenses y'all. Nintendo does it again. :argh:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

The game has been out for 48 hours, and people on the internet are what they are.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Why cant i use the y axis on r stick in motion controls again?

No idea. You can turn off motion controls in the city hub by pressing X and it makes the game 400% better.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's dumb that the voice chat is tied to the phone app rather tn the console itself but I don't get why people find the headset diagram so out there. You plug one thing into two other things it is not at all complicated?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr Phillby posted:

It's dumb that the voice chat is tied to the phone app rather tn the console itself but I don't get why people find the headset diagram so out there. You plug one thing into two other things it is not at all complicated?

It makes sense as a diagram, if this was 1997.

It's like finding out a new car you like has a crank starter in 2017. Or that a new computer you bought in 2017 comes with a 56k modem.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Or if you bought new apple products.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

abraham linksys posted:

the complete impossibility of easily playing with friends in a pubic match and the lack of splitscreen make me baffled that Splatoon 2 is getting unanimous positive reviews. If a Call of Duty came out with this online featureset it would get loving savaged

:lol::lol:

As one of the two biggest cheerleaders in the CoD thread, I can state categorically that they have worse netcode than Splatoon. Activision's last two games only use ten tic servers, meaning they refresh at only a sixth of the rate of what happens on screen. They're complete unreliable garbage, and while the player base has dropped by half year on year, they're still the biggest console shooters for the foreseeable future.

To say nothing of lobby issues, joining issues, matchmaking issues, people dropping issues, parties with dlc/non dlc issues, all of which have existed since CoD 4.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 23, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Guy Goodbody posted:

There was a video featuring the final boss fight and ending two days before the game released.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The latest call of duty is good and cool but I also possibly have brain damage for liking it so my opinion may be biased. In theory, it has everything you need to have a good MP game but it’s fundamentally broken on every god drat level. It’s really amazing just how much wrong there is with the game. I still love it, though.

If splatoon‘s MP at least works then it’s already have better than COD.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Feenix posted:

It makes sense as a diagram, if this was 1997.

It's like finding out a new car you like has a crank starter in 2017. Or that a new computer you bought in 2017 comes with a 56k modem.

Wires didn't become obsolete the moment bluetooth came on the scene. The forced smartphone integration is the problem here, not that you have to wrangle two audio connections.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nintendo is actually ahead of the curve by assuming that everyone will always have a smartphone on them as an extension of their own bodies, and that if you don't have a smartphone you are less than human. It's like complaining that you need a microphone to convert your sound waves into electrical signals

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nintendo is basically ahead of the curve by assuming that everyone will always have a smartphone on them as an extension of their own bodies, and that if you don't have a smartphone you are less than human

If a smartphone makes me 'only' human now, then how do I become 'more human than human'?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Three smartphones

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Ya the smart phone app is probably in the top 5 worst things Ninty has ever done. It's just crazy that the idea went through so many executives at the company and actually got greenlighted.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Heran Bago posted:

Just saw this picture on how the voice chat accessory for Splatoon 2 works.

Hilarious.

Mr Phillby posted:

Wires didn't become obsolete the moment bluetooth came on the scene. The forced smartphone integration is the problem here, not that you have to wrangle two audio connections.

Just to complete the trinity, here's the diagram for the PS4:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Three smartphones

Oh good, for a second there I was worried it would be VR.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

InFlames235 posted:

Ya the smart phone app is probably in the top 5 worst things Ninty has ever done. It's just crazy that the idea went through so many executives at the company and actually got greenlighted.

Virtual Boy

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

splatoon 2 is amazingly addictive. i never owned a wii u so i missed out on the first one and i'm glad it's just as fun as it always looked, even if i do have complaints (not a fan of the 2 hour map rotations, not being able to switch weapons without leaving your lobby, everything to do with the switch app, etc). the motion controls seemed absolutely impossible to me at first because of the x/y axis disconnect so i was playing without them for a while but i felt at a disadvantage. took some heavy time to practice last night and now i finally understand them and my game has improved considerably

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

He said top five, not first place.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just listened to cool games inc and they talk about the app which sounds terrible if you have friends to play with or want to talk to anyone.

That diagram is v funny

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Housh posted:

Yeah. I started to compulsively ask about it in the previous thread when I was going through a hard time in life. Then found out the team did announce a port which made me excited but me I begin periodically asking the thread when since they didn't give a date.
Worse. They announced it and it was listed as "coming summer 2017" and then they removed that line and since have only said "coming 2017".

Literally Stardew when. I'd rather have a date for late in the year than uncertainty!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I picked up Lego City Undercover and it's fun and good. The loading times don't bother me, it's pretty minimal once the game starts up.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No idea. You can turn off motion controls in the city hub by pressing X and it makes the game 400% better.
normie spotted

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
ps the phone app is good. it owns even.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Bill Barber posted:

ps the phone app is good. it owns even.

Mods?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Seriously though the integration with all the various Splatoon data is really sleek and I never would have thought of or expected them to go that far with it.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

You know there's a pretty good chance that the app replaces the super mario maker bookmark website when they release a new mario maker.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

Seriously though the integration with all the various Splatoon data is really sleek and I never would have thought of or expected them to go that far with it.

It'd be cool to have the integrated app for all that data as long as we could just connect straight to the Switch to do the actual voice chatting piece. The whole adapter and 5,000 cables thing to do that is the ultimate lame part.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

InFlames235 posted:

It'd be cool to have the integrated app for all that data as long as we could just connect straight to the Switch to do the actual voice chatting piece. The whole adapter and 5,000 cables thing to do that is the ultimate lame part.

You don't need any cables unless you want a headset

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

InFlames235 posted:

People freak out about the adapter image but that ONLY matters if you wanna play in handheld mode while using headphones. Every other usage case just talk to your phone like normal.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There is no problem in principle with the app, the ps app is cool and useful for example.

What's not cool is that there's no alternative to using the app for creating parties and voice chatting. Not everyone owns a Smartphone! This thing should be supplementary, not necessary for core features.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Well, almost everyone owns a smartphone. I can't think of any other device, that every Nintendo Switch owner would own. Is there anything those people have in common, everyone who owns a Switch, is there anything you know someone has when they buy a Nintendo Switch?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mr Phillby posted:

Or just maybe instead of disproving my point, all you've done is pointed out another crappy implementation with too many wires. :)

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I own a Switch and still use a rotary phone! What about me Nintendon't?!?!?!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

If a smartphone makes me 'only' human now, then how do I become 'more human than human'?

By having every White Zombie album on your smartphone.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Feenix posted:

Or just maybe instead of disproving my point, all you've done is pointed out another crappy implementation with too many wires. :)
My point is there is nothing remarkable about the splatoon2 headset and any mirth at the idea of using wires for audio should be directed at literally every piece of non-bluetooth audio equipment in existence.

Like they should deffo sell a bluetooth version too but my Wireless PS4 headset cost nearly three times as much as the Splatoon2 headset so i'm not sure what it is you want from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Bill Barber posted:

People freak out about the adapter image but that ONLY matters if you wanna play in handheld mode while using headphones. Every other usage case just talk to your phone like normal.

Well I mean, it's not like using it in handheld mode with headphones is some weird out-there use case or something, so it's understandable that you wouldn't want a billion wires and connections if you're out somewhere and not at home.

• Locked thread