Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Escobarbarian posted:

Is there any special reward for beating single player levels with each weapon or is it just a completionist thing?

Also I can't wait for the next Splatfest so I can learn the name of that song I like so much. (it's the one where the singer sounded like they were saying "lonely road" at the end of one line. not that that will help anyone)

Is it one of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UrRkA0lwVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwdtpjHsxjU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Some questions about gear:

Is there any difference between gear bonuses that are in primary bonus slots, and the ones in the smaller slots? Is a primary buff worth more?

Do bonuses stack? I have a hat which has +special meter gain in both slots, should I scrub one to get a different bonus? Assuming two identical bonuses on the same item don't stack, do they stack if they're on separate items?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What amiboo gives you the helmet that looks like it was stolen from Advent?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bill Barber posted:

B is back. It's not start/pause, it's +.

it will always be start and select to me, regardless of platform

Bill Barber posted:

Quit thinking of it as a start button, it's your fundamental problem. Just because you use a button to open a menu doesn't mean that the same button will exit the menu.

loving :lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

What amiboo gives you the helmet that looks like it was stolen from Advent?

The classic squid form and new squid form amiibo give different power armor sets. It's one of those.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Gunder posted:

Is there any difference between gear bonuses that are in primary bonus slots, and the ones in the smaller slots? Is a primary buff worth more?

Do bonuses stack? I have a hat which has +special meter gain in both slots, should I scrub one to get a different bonus? Assuming two identical bonuses on the same item don't stack, do they stack if they're on separate items?

Assuming it's the same as the first game, the main abilities have a bigger effect than the sub abilities and it all stacks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yes, the second one! Thank you!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
is there like, a discord or a chat or some poo poo wherein goons congregate to play Spla2n, and if so, what is it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think abilities worked so that you could stack one main ability and up to three sub-abilities of any one type i.e. Have Ink Saver (main) as a main ability and as three sub abilities for maximum effect. That's why in the first game people would re-roll the abilities on gear until they would have four of the same ability on one piece.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Escobarbarian posted:

So I found the solution for this elsewhere. It's weird, but after you get the hat you have to go to the Equip menu - Other - amiibo and save a gear set to that amiibo. Then go back to the main amiibo bit and scan it and you get the shirt/shoes (provided you're the right level)

Huh, it matched up with what I experienced, but it could just be a correlation. Could be linked to the amount of battles you've participated in, so it's naturally match up to Level a little.

edit: I was wrong about the Level thing. I hadn't scanned my Splatoon 1 Squid Amiibo yet since I didn't want the outfit, but he doesn't give me the rest of his stuff immediately. I'll see if I can find anything else on line to indicate what the condition could be.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Gunder posted:

Bonuses do stack, but if it's like Splatoon 1, there are diminishing returns on them. And eventually, getting more of those sub-bonuses won't do anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why they don't just let you change the main ability of gear. I wanna be fashionable but its so hard when the main ability of gear I want is garbage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why they don't just let you change the main ability of gear. I wanna be fashionable but its so hard when the main ability of gear I want is garbage.

They do. Merch is your new best friend

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

He can also change main abilities? Seems like you can only mess with subs.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nephzinho posted:

You get the basic weapon kits reskinned with the single player weapons. Most notably the splattershot tk becomes the P-90 lookin thing.

poo poo I thought the Hero Weapons were there own kits with their own stats, thanks for saving me replaying levels

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've only been able to scrub and add sub abilities and main abilities are stuck on gear

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah if there's a way to change main abilities I couldn't find it.

Weird thing is the game supports the same clothing with different main abilities already. That Grizzco shirt can have any main ability from what I've seen.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm guessing that's Grizzco brand's thing and why you get multiple of the same gear for bonuses when doing salmon run. It'll probably be more appealing to try to play salmon run for the chance of a better main ability when it isn't a tacky polo shirt with pocket protector

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My head-canon is that Mr. Grizz thumbed through a catalogue trying to find something the kids these days would think is "fresh", picked a random cheap shirt, and just bulk ordered a bunch of it.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm getting better at aiming with the motion controls stick hybrid, still can't get the hang of the dualies though. I always spaz out during firefights and forget to roll.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There's no more demotivating a feeling as the one you get when you see your team makeup for the first time and it's you, two snipers and a bucket.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

if you download the nintendo switch app you can order gear not in shops and pick it up through murch

these pieces of gear, from my understanding, can have main abilities that are different from what you find in the shop

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaubocks posted:

if you download the nintendo switch app you can order gear not in shops and pick it up through murch

these pieces of gear, from my understanding, can have main abilities that are different from what you find in the shop

Ugh, what do you need to do to buy gear in this app? Is it some microtransaction bullshit?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh, what do you need to do to buy gear in this app? Is it some microtransaction bullshit?

I think it's connected to the money you have in game.

Edit. Yeah you order the item you want and then buy it in game with the game currency.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Internet Kraken posted:

Nope, it literally just functions to send it to your game where you can buy it using in-game currency.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's free/game money, Nintendo isn't that stupid

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Could someone here explain to me, or show me a guide for, how to upload pictures that weren't hand-drawn onto the Splatnet? Google's got nothing and someone in another thread said you had to upload it by replacing a screenshot on your switch's SD card... except the microsd card is in a format that can't be read by Windows 7 as far as I can tell. What am I missing here?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Gunder posted:

This is how it worked in the first game, no clue if it still works here:

3 small abilities = 1 main ability. Abilities stack, but have diminishing returns. You can stack 3 main abilities' worth before they stop stacking.

So in theory you can have 3 of the same main ability, and then 9 of a different sub ability. Then you'd have the max effectiveness for those two abilities.

Some abilities are obviously not stackable, like ninja squid (which removes the splash when swimming through ink). However, those abilities will generally only be available on specific gear slots. If ninja squid is available on a shirt, you'll never see it on shoes, for example. Stackable abilities will appear on whatever, though.

Finally, the manufacturer of a piece of clothing determines what sub abilities it can roll. Each manufacturer has one sub ability it favors, which is more likely to be rolled. Each also has one that it dislikes, which has a lower chance to be rolled.

Again, this is all based on the first game. Stands to reason that it applies here too, but no guarantees.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm really enjoying this game but holy poo poo the people who made it really don't "believe" in quality of life improvements. Lots of counterintuitive stuff, difficult to find information and annoying elements that are actually design choices. Still, way better than ARMS!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like that they put in a way to fast forward Sheldon's occasional dialogue but not the newscast you get upon booting up the game every single time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Squids. Please do not run to teammates when you're being targetted by missiles.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm really enjoying this game but holy poo poo the people who made it really don't "believe" in quality of life improvements. Lots of counterintuitive stuff, difficult to find information and annoying elements that are actually design choices. Still, way better than ARMS!

The turd I dropped in the toilet this morning is a better game than ARMS.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The turd I dropped in the toilet this morning is a better game than ARMS.

Is arms bad I was going to get that game next

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yes (in my opinion)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is how it worked in the first game, no clue if it still works here:

3 small abilities = 1 main ability. Abilities stack, but have diminishing returns. You can stack 3 main abilities' worth before they stop stacking.

So in theory you can have 3 of the same main ability, and then 9 of a different sub ability. Then you'd have the max effectiveness for those two abilities.

Some abilities are obviously not stackable, like ninja squid (which removes the splash when swimming through ink). However, those abilities will generally only be available on specific gear slots. If ninja squid is available on a shirt, you'll never see it on shoes, for example. Stackable abilities will appear on whatever, though.

Finally, the manufacturer of a piece of clothing determines what sub abilities it can roll. Each manufacturer has one sub ability it favors, which is more likely to be rolled. Each also has one that it dislikes, which has a lower chance to be rolled.

Again, this is all based on the first game. Stands to reason that it applies here too, but no guarantees.

You can get Ink Resistance Up as a sub-ability on any gear now, not just as a main ability on Shoes like in the first game, so I think they might have changed it for other abilities as well.

Edit: ARMS is good, not as good as Splatoon though

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes (in my opinion)

Could I get like a two or three sentence review if you don't mind

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

g0lbez posted:

i played two rounds in the test punch and never wanted to touch the game again

ARMS more like rear end (because that's how it controls)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

g0lbez posted:

charming but boring
motion controls are okay
not enough games out

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What's the best ability loadout to aim for? Or at least, the best stuff to start farming chunks for? I was running stuff that just makes me get Supers faster while using the Aerospray MG and it's been going pretty well but I feel like I don't really know what's good or what point you get diminishing returns at for stacking the same thing in multiple slots.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
It being boring was my main concern. Guess I'll wait until it's on sale in four years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kaubocks posted:

i played two rounds in the test punch and never wanted to touch the game again

ARMS more like rear end (because that's how it controls)

I've played it quite a bit more, and the controls are good. You can use a Pro Controller if you don't like the motion controls, but afaik the general consensus is that the motion controls are better. It has a learning curve for sure, but once it clicks it is pretty fun. It needs to be balanced though, the light characters are significantly better than the heavies.