Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hi, we exist.

Get help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hi, we exist.

Not saying you guys don't exist, just saying I'm not surprised when someone does like Undertale. It's pretty well liked.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

hoobajoo posted:

Not saying you guys don't exist, just saying I'm not surprised when someone does like Undertale. It's pretty well liked.

Dunno what Undertale is, but if that is an Ebichu avatar, you are cool.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This was a good episode, if only for the Jimmy Neutron socks reading.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wonder how soul crushing it must be for them that the trailer for Ready Player One uses Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE71JOvLPvE

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Gotta tick every box on your nostalgia check sheet

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Kefin Mahon is a guest on the podcast again for Rush Revere and the American Revolution, a tale of time travel, the American Revolution, and wondering who greenlit that disturbing Rush Limbaugh head on the cover.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just found/discovered this and I'm really enjoying it. I've listened to only episode about books I've actually read so far (Timeline, Left Behind, DaVinci Code) which other episodes are top recommendations, even if you haven't read the book?

E: Nevermind, just read the first two posts in the thread, there's some good ones!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

WampaLord posted:

I just found/discovered this and I'm really enjoying it. I've listened to only episode about books I've actually read so far (Timeline, Left Behind, DaVinci Code) which other episodes are top recommendations, even if you haven't read the book?

E: Nevermind, just read the first two posts in the thread, there's some good ones!
The second post mentions Candy Girl, but Lemon's second guest episode is even better (and has a badass new version of the theme song). Both are necessary listening.

Edit: Aw hell, I have to recommmend some of my other favorites too.

Flowers in the Attic (deeply icky Gothic horror-melodrama)

List of the Lost (novel by Morrissey that is as pompous as it is short)

Sass Girls X (batshit self-published masturbation session)

Level 26: Dark Origins (loving hardcore man, can you handle it?)

And a special bonus episode of entries in a bad writing contest they held to celebrate NaNoWriMo.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 25, 2017

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
They ever done anything by Dean Koontz? They should do something by Dean Koontz.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Those who Trespass (political thriller by THE Bill O'Reilly) and On the Brink (economic thriller by THE Ben Stein) are my favorites.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
God the horse's jokes were possibly the worst comedy writing I've ever experienced.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

they weren't kidding about the lovely art, that's absolutely unsettling

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

padijun posted:

they weren't kidding about the lovely art, that's absolutely unsettling

At least the horse looks appropriately nervous at being forced to stand next to all of these mutants.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That girl on the left is discomfortingly "sexy".

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

:catstare:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

what

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Oh, come on. All the others are in jeans and sneakers and have big childish smiles on their faces, while she has a much more adult wardrobe and expression. It's bizarre how much she sticks out from the rest, and even if "sexy" was too strong a word for it, she sticks out in ways that seem to show a different mindset from the others. Maybe I was wrong to bring it up, and I don't think that the artist is actually a creep, but I did get a real, unpleasant impression from it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

They dramatically read a paragraph from it where Rush Revere's jaw drops when that girl enters the scene :aatrek:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The cover art is actually worse than the animation for Liberty's Kids.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Oh, come on. All the others are in jeans and sneakers and have big childish smiles on their faces, while she has a much more adult wardrobe and expression. It's bizarre how much she sticks out from the rest, and even if "sexy" was too strong a word for it, she sticks out in ways that seem to show a different mindset from the others. Maybe I was wrong to bring it up, and I don't think that the artist is actually a creep, but I did get a real, unpleasant impression from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go3MX7leww4

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

fatherboxx posted:

They dramatically read a paragraph from it where Rush Revere's jaw drops when that girl enters the scene :aatrek:
Yeah, having heard the episode now, I really don't think I was being unreasonable. That cover is just doing its job and depicting the character as written.

"Rush Limbaugh is really into the creation of Elizabeth; there's no way of hiding that fact. We know what gets Rush Limbaugh off at the end of this."

"Rarely is it a good sign in a book when a high-school teacher - or, in this case, a middle-school teacher - looks at a cheerleader and says, 'My jaw dropped.' "
"Yeah, that's a little frightening. The American Beauty reference earlier was spot-on."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The long-awaited Rush-themed spinoff podcast: Rush, Revered.

okay jwfcc, please give me your internet monies

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Heath posted:

Gotta tick every box on your nostalgia check sheet

Why the gently caress is the Iron Giant in a movie about 80s nostalgia?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't think 80s kids deserve to be pandered too after messing up their reactions to Ghostbusters so hard

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

https://twitter.com/sam_kriss/status/890302045093322758

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

RPO isn't just 80's nostalgia though it is primarily that, it's also got a bunch of other nerd references to make you feel like "hey I know that thing". I remember Stargate and World of Warcraft being explicitly called out, among many, many others that it wasn't worth remembering.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Djeser posted:

RPO isn't just 80's nostalgia though it is primarily that, it's also got a bunch of other nerd references to make you feel like "hey I know that thing". I remember Stargate and World of Warcraft being explicitly called out, among many, many others that it wasn't worth remembering.

Yea in that tweet going around that shows one page just full of references, he mentions that he watched both Star Wars trilogies (original and prequels) so it's clearly not limited to just 80s stuff.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

In the actual book, it's not just one page, it's a two-page spread that's entirely a list of media the main character has consumed.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ascendant frontpage superstar David "g0m" "no they will not" "yeah actually they will" Dolan wrote a beautiful parody of an Ernest Cline work even worse than his novels (be sure to click play).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 27, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ascendant frontpage superstar David "g0m" "no they will not" "yeah actually they will" Dolan wrote a beautiful parody of an Ernest Cline work even worse than his novels (be sure to click play).

Jesus Christ.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's right motherfuckers - I'm talking about an epic nerd girl!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

G0m is a funny dude, but I feel like this is relatively weak largely because the original parodies itself

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

G0m is a funny dude, but I feel like this is relatively weak largely because the original parodies itself
That's a good point. It really says something that "They're objects" is somehow less spiteful in his version.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Also why go to all the trouble of making a film whose base appeal is almost entirely on the fact that it's crammed full of pop culture characters and then use such a desaturated and murky visual style that you can't even see half of them? I guess that generic Hollywood blockbuster aesthetic is still better than the awful faux 80s Kung Fury look but it's still bad.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Djeser posted:

There is, at one point in the book, a list of the favorite science fiction authors, either of the narrator or of the Richard Garriot/Howard Hughes/Willy Wonka hybrid the narrator might as well be the reincarnation of. It is specifically referenced as a list of 80's authors.

John Scalzi is on the list.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Thranguy posted:

There is, at one point in the book, a list of the favorite science fiction authors, either of the narrator or of the Richard Garriot/Howard Hughes/Willy Wonka hybrid the narrator might as well be the reincarnation of. It is specifically referenced as a list of 80's authors.

John Scalzi is on the list.
It's not specifically referenced as a list of '80s authors (and Scalzi would be a less egregious error on such a list than Tolkien, who's also included), but it is conspicuous that he's the only one on the list to have debuted after that decade.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
TekWar by William Shatner episode up, and it sounds like a classic in the making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

quote:

NOTE: Yes, we know Shatner said some stupid things on Twitter recently; No, we don’t particularly care.
Awesome. Between this and the Rush Revere episode, it's looking like they've finally figured out that laughing at lovely books is more fun and worthwhile than getting bent out of shape over politics.