Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

Get used to applied psychology. They literally perfected that poo poo on the mobiles.

If you ever want to test willpower; a) Give up smoking. b) play candy crush and never spend a dime.

The second is mental weightlifting.

10% sounds like them gimmicking though.

On SC, I've kinda been hinting that they should have had a sniff of some of the Chinese wealth that they're trying to offshore, which is puzzling the gently caress out of me. Unless they've already spent it, but that makes their burn rate higher.

See this? This is a perfect example of a tightly spiralled group-think. They're free-associating off each other.

I play clicker heroes and have never spent a dime but that's one of those ignore it and look at it every now and then games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EminusSleepus posted:

LOL

- THE BANE OF THE UEE
- Unmatched Maneuverability

Yeah, I'm sure the one-man scout ship is the bane of an entire civilization!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

Any bets on delays for tonight's schedule?

I've got money on release falling behind Gamescom, the backers will bitch and moan and then "this is good for Star Citizen because...(it won't be rushed/less pressure on the team/more can be added)" will rear its head.

In other news i had Hawaiian pizza tonight just to have some variety. Come at me bros :colbert:.
if they are any kind of smart, they will not announce any delays regarding evocati release dates

doing so will directly impact how much cash they get from gamescom, which is traditionally one of their higher months (with October and December being the other two)

they have to keep pledges coming in and at this point backers don't seem to give a gently caress if they don't get anything for years as long as its "coming soon"

best thing would probably be something like

"hey guys its gamescom and I know you're all still loving 2.6.3 and playing it on the show floor but we have some AMAZING stuff coming SOON very SOON and it's AMAZING and will change EVERYTHING"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

guys, they aren't going to delay the evocati release until the very last possible minute. they do this every time. stop running up to the football, lucy is going to yank it away.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Eldragon posted:

It was originally supposed to be the ship that utilizes strafe heavily. e.g. It can fly side to side and up and down better than any other craft. Other human craft were to fly like airplanes.

But that role was completely marginalized when CIG decided to do physical modeling of thrusters. Which means every craft can strafe that way because "Surprise" if your thrusters have the power to make your space-plane turn like a space-plane, they have the power to make any other maneuver.

Yeah but it was also billed as a two-man recon scoutship used to explore worlds and... do stuff.

Then it lost 1 seat because they couldn't loving fit it and nobody from coding to the directors to the art team knew what the gently caress was going on and they just rolled with the 1-seater.

Then people noticed it was a single-seater and complained and they had to take Ben out of his sugar-induced coma to release a memo stating he would "look into it"

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the one-man scout ship is the bane of an entire civilization!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
at this point, blood is in the water and even the most faithful of backers are getting a little worried

CIG can't afford to show any weakness, as I think the "ITS ALPHAAAAA" defense isn't really going over so well anymore

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yeah I'm sure my advanced guided missiles are going to have a hard time against it :rolleyes:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

The 5-10 systems at launch finally broke them. They realized they won't be able to keep yelling "Its alpha" anymore.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

"WE'RE STILL INSIDE THE EVOCATI WINDOW, LAUNCH HASN'T BEEN DELAYED YET YOU loving NON-BELIEVERS"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well I mean the missiles have a hard enough time against stationary targets in this game, so maybe they're on to something.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

sperglord croberts got his design idea of the cockpit of that khartu-al from Southpark

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So we can conclude that UEE pilots don't understand words. Or electricity. Or space. Or flying.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

After watching Beet's stream the other night, I was curious why the only part of the main space station that is staffed at all is the goddamn hat store.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Well I mean the missiles have a hard enough time against stationary targets in this game, so maybe they're on to something.

That's the secret, a moving target is a dead target and the Khartu-Al is ALL about moving.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meridian posted:

After watching Beet's stream the other night, I was curious why the only part of the main space station that is staffed at all is the goddamn hat store.

TF2 hats is big business

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

EminusSleepus posted:

sperglord croberts got his design idea of the cockpit of that khartu-al from Southpark

Huh, the pic even includes the average whale.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

Any bets on delays for tonight's schedule?

I've got money on release falling behind Gamescom, the backers will bitch and moan and then "this is good for Star Citizen because...(it won't be rushed/less pressure on the team/more can be added)" will rear its head.

In other news i had Hawaiian pizza tonight just to have some variety. Come at me bros :colbert:.

I can't see them releasing anything before Gamescom or even at Gamescom, they'll have to wait at least 10 days until the sale event has finished.

A bad patch, and it will be really, really bad, might stop Citizens spending on sale items. I'm hopeful for a 2 week prediction from the Gamescom stage for the patch and then months of "soon".

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

I play clicker heroes and have never spent a dime but that's one of those ignore it and look at it every now and then games.

King makes around half a billion a year from dollar transactions. It kinda blows my mind, but then I'm reminding that it's a skinner box.

Meridian posted:

#MAGA

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Latin Pheonix posted:

Huh, the pic even includes the average whale.
That's him in the wheelchair.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I can't see them releasing anything before Gamescom or even at Gamescom, they'll have to wait at least 10 days until the sale event has finished.

A bad patch, and it will be really, really bad, might stop Citizens spending on sale items. I'm hopeful for a 2 week prediction from the Gamescom stage for the patch and then months of "soon".
correct. releasing to evocati in september is probably their best move

even if it's entirely broken, most people won't have access to it so when october comes around CIG can point and holler "whoa whoa wink wink its coming outta evocati any day now...buy these ships! look at this sq42 trailer! look at this cool poo poo in SC!!"

they can then release something to the PTU in december, go on holiday for a few weeks, then figure out just when the gently caress to release it to the PU

of course they can always just cut back and release the planetside game mode thing, which would make me fuckin lol and would probably cause a refund cascade

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

That's him in the wheelchair.

:golfclap:

AP posted:

It would be surreal to see Crobberts walk up to that podium a full year after initially revealing 3.0 and saying "no seriously, guys, it's thiiiiis close!"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Latin Pheonix posted:

It would be surreal to see Crobberts walk up to that podium a full year after initially revealing 3.0 and saying "no seriously, guys, it's thiiiiis close!"

"I meant this december"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is probably my favorite line fyi (from Chad McKinney, the engineer on the latest AtV)

Chad McKinney on Reddit posted:

[in regards to bind culling and component scheduling] Both of these are very important, but by far the most important thing is to get object container streaming working. Object container streaming will allow us to only have a subset of entities on the client and server that are the minimum required for gameplay, which should dramatically reduce update time as well as a fair amount of memory usage. It will also make other game code behavior such as zone queries faster by making these queries operate on a smaller set of potential entities. Unforutnately [sic] this is not going into 3.0 as it is a huge epic legendary task that will introduce many complexities into various other systems in the game, but we are actively working on it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Meridian posted:

I hate myself, so a little later I'm gonna stream some more and maybe we can find some example of this much vaunted "NPC AI" doing something other than just loving standing there like an rear end in a top hat.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

EminusSleepus posted:

Ha! Tumbril wheel. :D

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Reinhardt got a buff :getin:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I hate myself, so a little later I'm gonna stream some more and maybe we can find some example of this much vaunted "NPC AI" doing something other than just loving standing there like an rear end in a top hat.

Goonspeed, Commando. You're a stronger man than I am.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

or just play PUBG and stream that so I can stream snipe ya.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Lladre posted:

Can you break that game down for me? I don't really understand the appeal. It looks like H1Z1, DayZ and all the other half baked, janky third person shootermans games.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Reinhardt got a buff :getin:

Yeah, 10% faster swing speed. More interested in the movement-countering stuff McCree and Zarya got tbh.

Also isn't tencent one of those companies that basically exists by virtue of being a chinese company? Pretty sure they're behind a bunch of totally-not-X-western-game-we've-invested-in rip-offs sold in China.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

TheAgent posted:

correct. releasing to evocati in september is probably their best move

even if it's entirely broken, most people won't have access to it so when october comes around CIG can point and holler "whoa whoa wink wink its coming outta evocati any day now...buy these ships! look at this sq42 trailer! look at this cool poo poo in SC!!"

they can then release something to the PTU in december, go on holiday for a few weeks, then figure out just when the gently caress to release it to the PU

of course they can always just cut back and release the planetside game mode thing, which would make me fuckin lol and would probably cause a refund cascade

I've said this elsewhere, but I think the move will be an Evocati-only release either right before or during Gamescom, of course accompanied by triumphalist rhetoric. After the Gamescom sale ends, the patch will be pulled for "further bugfixing and polish before going to the general PTU". Then the "weeks, not months" can begin.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

boviscopophobic posted:

I've said this elsewhere, but I think the move will be an Evocati-only release either right before or during Gamescom, of course accompanied by triumphalist rhetoric. After the Gamescom sale ends, the patch will be pulled for "further bugfixing and polish before going to the general PTU". Then the "weeks, not months" can begin.

Dude, Vegas wouldn't take odds on that, are you kidding? It's practically a given.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

I'm so loving bad at PUBG you'd probably have a hard time killing me before someone else does.

Meridian posted:

Can you break that game down for me? I don't really understand the appeal. It looks like H1Z1, DayZ and all the other half baked, janky third person shootermans games.

It's a janky third/first person shootmans in which 100 players are dumped onto an island with nothing and you have to murder everyone else, similar to H1Z1: King of the Kill. It's incredibly stupid and fun.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Meridian posted:

It takes those games and turn the inevitable PvP and even outright griefing components and make those the main attraction, with the whole scavenging bit a (still very important) sideshow. It's a competent shooter that knows what it is and how to play to the strengths of that premise.

It also has a surprisingly quick turn-around time and a good tension curve for a round-based shooter: if you get killed early, you just join a new game; if you don't, the game itself ratchets up the tension by slowly pushing you towards other players, and if you try to turtle, those other players will just end up far better equipped at dealing with you than you are at dealing with them. So for a game that can drag out for close to an hour, it does not actually have a lot of dead time.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm so loving bad at PUBG you'd probably have a hard time killing me before someone else does.

It's a janky third/first person shootmans in which 100 players are dumped onto an island with nothing and you have to murder everyone else, similar to H1Z1: King of the Kill. It's incredibly stupid and fun.

Can you queue as a group? SC Thread Goon Squad?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meridian posted:

PUBG is an arma-like game that emphasizes lethal, tactical combat over spray&pray gunplay of, say, Battlefield or Counter-Strike.

Pilz posted:

Yeah, 10% faster swing speed. More interested in the movement-countering stuff McCree and Zarya got tbh.

Also isn't tencent one of those companies that basically exists by virtue of being a chinese company? Pretty sure they're behind a bunch of totally-not-X-western-game-we've-invested-in rip-offs sold in China.

As someone who has like... 100 hours in Overwatch and ONLY plays Reinhardt, it makes me happy because I get to murder people faster :getin:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Meridian posted:

Can you queue as a group? SC Thread Goon Squad?

Up to 4 people can group together yeah. I think at one point they were talking about increasing that number, but I haven't played PUBG in a couple months because Titanfall

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Meridian posted:

Dude, Vegas wouldn't take odds on that, are you kidding? It's practically a given.

I'm just posting so you'll know when and where I CALLED IT :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As someone who has like... 100 hours in Overwatch and ONLY plays Reinhardt, it makes me happy because I get to murder people faster :getin:

Fair enough. Try not to get fisted too hard. Did you know on doomfist's release in the PTR his charge beat out Rein's charge? I really don't know what the Overwatch devs are doing sometimes.

At least it's actually a game though :agesilaus: