Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

Do you really get told about the Kristallnacht and atrocities of the Holocaust at 11 yo? I figured you wouldn't go into details on that subject until a bit later?

Growing up Jewish, I got told all about the Holocaust early and often, so yes, definitely. It's not uncommon for grade schools to do field trips to Holocaust museums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

WampaLord posted:

Growing up Jewish, I got told all about the Holocaust early and often, so yes, definitely. It's not uncommon for grade schools to do field trips to Holocaust museums.

Have a song about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNa-ocdryY

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hahahaha, that's terrific.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
11 years old really isn't that young anyway. They don't just completely avoid any mention of war, Native American genocide, etc. before high school, it's kind of impossible to learn history without that. Too young to read Night, perhaps, but a general overview of the Holocaust, sure.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I mean it's not that interesting of a point anyways, but when faced with the stdh of the rest of that post, my mind tried to find some way to not have to consider it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sir Lemming posted:

11 years old really isn't that young anyway. They don't just completely avoid any mention of war, Native American genocide, etc. before high school, it's kind of impossible to learn history without that. Too young to read Night, perhaps, but a general overview of the Holocaust, sure.

We read The Diary of Anne Frank in I think 7th grade. That's pretty common in US middle schools/junior highs :shrug:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Choco1980 posted:

No no, I'm going to focus on the "hacking", considering your average treadmill not only does not have an internet connection, it has no use for one.

They do, however, often have Bluetooth for connecting to heart rate sensors and other fitness trackers.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Sir Lemming posted:

11 years old really isn't that young anyway.

I stepped away from my computer for a second and had completely forgotten what the discussion was about.

I don't remember really learning a lot about the holocaust in middle school. I think there was some general overviews about it and WWII but we certainly didn't learn the specifics about kristallnacht or really any details about the actual exterminations going on. Then again my primary schools all sucked anyway.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I showed my family this and The Sexy Getting Ready Song to see if they'd like Crazy Ex, and they immediately started binging it. :D

Garrand posted:

I don't remember really learning a lot about the holocaust in middle school. I think there was some general overviews about it and WWII but we certainly didn't learn the specifics about kristallnacht or really any details about the actual exterminations going on. Then again my primary schools all sucked anyway.
I definitely did, but I'm from an area that has many more Jewish people than most!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Surely it depends on the teacher and school. Got a kid in 7th grade last year and didn't really cover it in history.social studies, but in literature they did read Boy in the Striped Pajamas and something else relevant, so that prompted discussion and enough to be aware of genralities. When I was in school it was more like high school with one year being european/world history, one was US history; breaking out into more specific focus than just "history"

In sixth or seventh grade we read Alicia: My Story and someone came in to talk to a bunch of kids about how she was in the concentration camps and knew Anne Frank.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Fathis Munk posted:

Do you really get told about the Kristallnacht and atrocities of the Holocaust at 11 yo? I figured you wouldn't go into details on that subject until a bit later?

In fifth grade in rural Oregon, we had a holocaust/concentration camp survivor come in and talk about her experiences. It was harrowing. The post was obviously STDH, but I think it’s relatively common to start to go over the holocaust at that time.

I’m all in favor of it - 20 years later, I can remember that talk extremely vividly - she seemed to hold little back, so considering she was talking to fifth graders, I’m sure what she experienced had to have been even worse. As a society, we won’t have the opportunity for these first-person discussions for much longer, and I fear how bold the deniers will be then.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

also chiming in to say i learned about the holocaust as a prepube, including a documentary where keanu reeves sat in a sears portrait studio and commentated on auschwitz photos.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

WampaLord posted:

She's going to drop his rating below 4.7 and make him not able to drive for them, so good job, duder! :thumbsup:

I just spent an hour reading about uber ratings. That is some hosed up stuff and it makes the drivers act all kinds of crazy. Like fake casual conversation, bottles of water and mints.

Then came the passenger rating system and now the drivers are getting revenge on the passengers by giving them low ratings for things like parents needing to bring their kids places or not tipping well enough.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Catberry posted:

I just spent an hour reading about uber ratings. That is some hosed up stuff and it makes the drivers act all kinds of crazy. Like fake casual conversation, bottles of water and mints.

Then came the passenger rating system and now the drivers are getting revenge on the passengers by giving them low ratings for things like parents needing to bring their kids places or not tipping well enough.

Watch the "Nosedive" episode of Black Mirror to see where this process ends up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Apparently the airbnb rating system is messed up too, and getting anything less than five stars gets airbnb to start harassing you.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Why is it that whenever a person is given the chance to pass judgement on another person it always turns to poo poo :negative:

Catberry has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Jul 29, 2017

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Catberry posted:

Why is it that whenever a person is given the chance to pass judgement on another person it always turns to poo poo :negative:

I feel like the biggest part of the problem is anybody who implements that poo poo always goes for a graduated scale, but only accepts perfect scoring.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I did this for a AP calculus final. It seemed like a good idea to a teenage nerd, and it worked alright, but the slight increase in density wasn't worth the extra effort.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

walrusman posted:

I did this for a AP calculus final. It seemed like a good idea to a teenage nerd, and it worked alright, but the slight increase in density wasn't worth the extra effort.

You're better off splitting each line of the index card into 2 or 3 lines and using a mechanical pencil or technical pen, paying a friend to help you write it/typing it up if your handwriting isn't tight enough. I did this for a physics exam and overestimated the amount of information I would need to write, so wound up with a bunch of empty space and tiny but still readable text on it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Byzantine posted:

I feel like the biggest part of the problem is anybody who implements that poo poo always goes for a graduated scale, but only accepts perfect scoring.
Yeah, that happens with 'tell us how we did!' surveys too. It'd be more honest to turn it into a series of 'was this good enough yes/no' questions, but then it'd be more obvious what's going on.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

You're better off splitting each line of the index card into 2 or 3 lines and using a mechanical pencil or technical pen, paying a friend to help you write it/typing it up if your handwriting isn't tight enough. I did this for a physics exam and overestimated the amount of information I would need to write, so wound up with a bunch of empty space and tiny but still readable text on it.

I split an index card in half with a razor for my AP Chem final.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

#GodShot :rolleyes:

Nine kids isn't much for the Quiverfull movement. She'd better get to work on making some more.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You're right, you don't NEED to stimulate your kids in any meanful way, they just need a pair of boobs to look at!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You're right, you don't NEED to stimulate your kids in any meanful way, they just need a pair of boobs to look at!

:same:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
My great-grandmother (in the old times this lady so likes) had something like nine or ten kids, only three did not die in either childbirth or infancy. I guess they either weren't the right amount of poor or she had not the correct number of boobs to care for them, the spoiled little brats.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I do like that "how many couches did your grandparents own" got put into their rant despite the fact that knowing that just means you probably spent a decent amount of time at their house.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Go full medieval peasant and swaddle them up and strap them to your back all day, only unwrapping them when it's feeding time.

e: words. :argh:

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Jul 29, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Haifisch posted:

Go full medieval peasant and swaddle them up and strap them to your back all day, only unwrapping them when it's feeding them.

Are you talking about kids or the boobs?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
#God'sHot

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nappies are expensive.
Babies grow super fast, and clothes are expensive.
When said baby grows up enough to start walking, he starts to grow even faster, and shoes are more expensive than clothes.
What feeds all that growing is food, and when they are babies they need special food, (which as you guessed is expensive).
Etc.

Sure, there are ways to cut down on the expense of all that I listed, and you won't find a parent that doesn't at least try to minimize the expense. But children are loving expensive, from baby to adult they cost a fucktonne of money, and even more time, effort and love.

That's not to say they aren't worth it though. (awww)

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Just tripped over this - http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=166 - on another site. Pretty long so I am not sure how better to present. Rolls in badass revenge and epically lovely customers, but no applause or Einstein. I found it worth the read, as a dedicated STDHer, but I sprained my neck from the noping.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Funktastic posted:

I do like that "how many couches did your grandparents own" got put into their rant despite the fact that knowing that just means you probably spent a decent amount of time at their house.

My grandparents were old as heck (they had my mom very late in life, when my grandpa was nearly 50, so one was born in 1916 and the other in I think 1921 or somewhere thereabouts) and they died in 2001 and 2002, but they sure as hell embraced whatever money got them. They raised 8 kids in one house, sure, but it was a decently sized house with two stories and a basement in a nice neighborhood. They moved to Florida in 1979 and built themselves an even bigger house. When I was born in 1992, they had a living room with a couch, a big recliner, and a nice TV.

Your grandma didn't lack 5 couches because she wanted to leave a legacy behind as a tough lady who fed fifty people with half a T-bone and a salt shaker. She was just poor. If you gave her 5 couches she would sit on a different one every day just to spite her neighbors.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Samizdata posted:

Just tripped over this - http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=166 - on another site. Pretty long so I am not sure how better to present. Rolls in badass revenge and epically lovely customers, but no applause or Einstein. I found it worth the read, as a dedicated STDHer, but I sprained my neck from the noping.

I used to post there. The mods are absolutely ruthless on anyone casting doubt on a story and everything in the "War Stories" subforum is highly suspect. The culture there is also really cliquish and hug boxy.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I like how her idea of extravagance is $50 jeans. Has she been shopping, ever? Even Walmart charges like $30 for a pair.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hyperhazard posted:

I like how her idea of extravagance is $50 jeans. Has she been shopping, ever? Even Walmart charges like $30 for a pair.

Also cheap clothes will either be uncomfortable at best or wear out and need replacing by the end of the year at worst.

Ripped jeans as a fashion statement started because the original wearers were too poor to afford new clothes even as their wardrobe was falling to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

hyperhazard posted:

haha that stuck out to me too. Her 700 dollar iphone in currently down. But it's cool her and god were on the same page about it.