Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

That's a good sale. David Warner is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

jivjov posted:

agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHk0CNnUNag

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bobkatt013 posted:

Crossover with legends of tomorrow

Captain Lance and Dr. Funkenstein, Time Lesbians

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey I just want to remind everybody that if you love New Who you love trash.

lukewarm take at best, you gotta up your game

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

cargohills posted:

That's equally true for The Harvest - which happens not to spoil the story on the cover!

Heh. It is spoiled on the cover, if you know what you're looking at. The Doctor, Ace, and Hex's face are covered with a circuitry image that BF used on their Cyberman series.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

toanoradian posted:

Have someone else play the Fifth Doctor.
He sounded more like Six to me, which was a tad off-putting

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

jivjov posted:

His Doctor got the Brigadier as companion and they're only 1e each! :dance:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

sinepost posted:

One thing I'll say for Moffat's run compared to RTD's is that I haven't noticed Murray Gold's music to anywhere near the same extent, which is at least an improvement. And when I did find myself paying attention to it, it was in a "oh, that's quite a nice understated synth piece" way and not "oh god somebody make him shut up please".

That said, it'd be a good time to get somebody else to do the music now, I think.

It's possible that there might be a day when I get bored of posting this excellent Youtube video. It's not today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_LLMOSF_8

Tomorrow doesn't look likely, either.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

cargohills posted:

Why are we spoiler tagging Human Resources but not The Harvest?

There are certain audios we just do that for, no matter how old. Looooooorrd Niiiiiiiimooonnnnnn in Seasons of Fear, for instance.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Toughton really was a man who grew into his looks as he got older.

Matt Smith looks exactly the same as when he got hired on the flip side!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Matt Smith looks like the weird kid whose birthday party you don't want to go to but your mom makes you go anyway.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Baby Sylvester!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Nose... I've had worse" now we see when

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Why is it just a current picture of Jodie Whittaker?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Why is it just a current picture of Jodie Whittaker?

I mean they used a current picture of Matt Smith so fair's fair.

Also Paul Macgann

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tom almost looks normal here and it's weirding me out

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

After The War posted:

There are certain audios we just do that for, no matter how old. Looooooorrd Niiiiiiiimooonnnnnn in Seasons of Fear, for instance.

The point I'm trying to make though is that The Harvest works quite well without knowing the villains too. Seasons of Fear manages to hide it at least but I've not got a clue why anyone would care about the Nimon.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Next episode in my rewatch is planet of the dead. Not sure if I can motivate myself to watch it, and I breezed through Love and Monsters, Last of the Time Lords, Voyage of the Damned... at least those aren't boring, and don't have Lee Evans in them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

marktheando posted:

Next episode in my rewatch is planet of the dead. Not sure if I can motivate myself to watch it, and I breezed through Love and Monsters, Last of the Time Lords, Voyage of the Damned... at least those aren't boring, and don't have Lee Evans in them.

As somebody who went back through the whole series not too long ago and actually found a few of the episodes I disliked held up better than I remembered.... oh my God Planet of the Dead is so terrible.... :cripes:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody who went back through the whole series not too long ago and actually found a few of the episodes I disliked held up better than I remembered.... oh my God Planet of the Dead is so terrible.... :cripes:

Yeah I actually enjoyed a lot of the hugely dumb RTD finales, which I hated at the time. But this is going to be rough...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked Planet of the Dead well enough

Watching it after "Midnight" probably wasn't a good idea though, because I saw a bus and went "On, no. Not again..."

What's people's beef with it, exactly?

Same can be said for a lot of stories, actually, come to think of it...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

I liked Planet of the Dead well enough

Watching it after "Midnight" probably wasn't a good idea though, because I saw a bus and went "On, no. Not again..."

Same can be said for a lot of stories, actually, come to think of it...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The only thing I remember about planet of the dead was that there was a bus, everything else has been erased from my memory, presumably my brain thought it was for the best.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's funny that it cost a fortune to make because they shipped a bus to Dubai rather than just filming on a beach in Wales.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

The DVD I rented of the s4 specials was scratched up just enough for Planet of the Dead to be unwatchable, and I've never found myself particularly driven to go back and watch it. Doesn't seem like I've missed much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also Michelle Ryan's character is annoying, which is made doubly frustrating by the fact the show clearly wants us to love her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

- Lady Christina is a terrible, terrible character who the show attempts to draw a false equivalency with the Doctor - she has no depth, is morally repugnant and doesn't learn or grow in any across the course of the episode, and is then rewarded for her callous greed with a flying bus so she can go commit more crimes. This is somebody who steals national treasures to keep purely for her self because she's "bored" and thinks she deserves them more than the public deserves to have access to them - she's basically one of those greedy fucks who buy/order stolen art for their private collections, only we're supposed to see that as a fun and good thing akin to the Doctor stealing the TARDIS.
- There is the appallingly badly written (bordering on racist) old psychic woman who exists only to shoehorn in the "He Will Knock Four Times" arc.
- Lee Evans is awful
- The Doctor's big idea for the two survivors who have discussed their aimless lives is to toss them in to be redshirts in UNIT.
- They crank up the "ISN'T THE DOCTOR WONDERFUL :swoon:" stuff to the max, in a way the RTD seasons was often guilty of, in a way that Moffat also gets criticized for despite being nowhere near as bad.
- The barest hint of something different/fun is quickly sidelined. Christina takes control of the group as the "natural leader" and the Doctor is bemused enough to sit back and let her run things... except he then proceeds to just run everything/handle the group entirely on his own while Christina just follows him around doing what he says.

Now to be fair, the location LOOKS great and there are some neat ideas in there, such as the metal stingrays who feed on a planet, generate a portal and jump to the next point in space; or the fly aliens who need a translator to understand humans rather than the other way around, or the Doctor revealing he also speaks thousands (millions?) of languages even without the TARDIS translating for him etc. Other than that it's mostly just awful though.

Edit: Oh and let's not forget it had been months since we had seen a new episode of Who, and then we had to wait months AFTER this awful episode before we got our next one. At least with a regular season, if an episode is terrible one week there is the chance for a better episode a week later.

marktheando posted:

It's funny that it cost a fortune to make because they shipped a bus to Dubai rather than just filming on a beach in Wales.

Didn't the bus they shipped get hosed up in the process, necessitating changes to the script AND damaging another identical bus for the night scenes in London that bookend the episode?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 29, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
God, RTD's last few episodes and the psychics who keep talking about how the end is coming and falling and dying and screaming through the fire and the churning and madness

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The thing I dislike most about Planet Of The Dead is that it's a poo poo knockoff of Stephen King's The Langoliers, which is saying something if you've ever seen the TV adaptation of Stephen King's The Langoliers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think, on the surface, RTD and Gareth Roberts look like ideal writing partners. They're both love to write fluffy, silly, campy scripts about golorious nonsense. The main difference, I think, comes down to the way that they approach characterisation -- RTD loves his characters, and wants to dig into them and make the audience love and understand them. Gareth Roberts, on the other hand, writes like a psychopath. If left to his own devices his stories nearly always include an unsentimental tone, a vicious yet also ridiculous serial murderer, and a lot of squishy death scenes. It's there in A Well Mannered War, Tragedy Day, The Highest Science, and even The Unicorn And The Wasp (though he tones it down a bit for tv). He doesn't give the remotest poo poo about the internal life of his characters, and his supporting cast are usually stupidly slow bystanders who exist to prop up his jokes. Unsurprisingly, he loves the Graham Williams era.

I suspect that the original version of The Planet Of The Dead positioned Christina as a seemingly cool but actually useless leader, who was accidentally or purposefully responsible for the disaster affecting the people on the bus. I suspect that a lot of those characters would die as a result of her upmarket selfishness, while the Doctor flapped his arms in inept consternation. That feels closer to a Gareth Roberts script to me.

I also suspect that RTD would have stepped in and rewritten a lot of that, which is why we're left with a lot of useless characters with puddle deep characterisation, and a bizarrely heroic turn from someone who's probably a dangerous psychopath. That's my theory, anyway.

(Oh, and in case anyone thinks otherwise, I actually like a lot of Gareth Roberts' work. But it's bleak and silly, and can get pretty mean spirited.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Even with all these detailed reminders I can only remember 'bus??? Desert?' Like the whole episode slipped off my brain.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't the bus they shipped get hosed up in the process, necessitating changes to the script AND damaging another identical bus for the night scenes in London that bookend the episode?

The best bit about the damaged bus was producer Phil Colinson freaking out about the damaged bus in Dubai, trying to justify having to pay for a second, intact bus being shipped over when RTD came over, took one look at the bus, and said, "It's like a Faraday Cage. As long as it's intact, it'll still work."

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

HopperUK posted:

Even with all these detailed reminders I can only remember 'bus??? Desert?' Like the whole episode slipped off my brain.

Same. I remember more of the Next Doctor than I do Planet of the Dead. I liked the next special, the Waters of Mars.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

toanoradian posted:

Same. I remember more of the Next Doctor than I do Planet of the Dead. I liked the next special, the Waters of Mars.

They could have literally named Planet of the Dead "Desert Bus" and it would have been both more memorable and more germane to the story.

Folks who are sick of Moffat should go back and watch more of Anything's Fine As Long as it's Turned Up to 11 with Russell T. Davies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

- Lady Christina is a terrible, terrible character who the show attempts to draw a false equivalency with the Doctor - she has no depth, is morally repugnant and doesn't learn or grow in any across the course of the episode, and is then rewarded for her callous greed with a flying bus so she can go commit more crimes. This is somebody who steals national treasures to keep purely for her self because she's "bored" and thinks she deserves them more than the public deserves to have access to them - she's basically one of those greedy fucks who buy/order stolen art for their private collections, only we're supposed to see that as a fun and good thing akin to the Doctor stealing the TARDIS.
- There is the appallingly badly written (bordering on racist) old psychic woman who exists only to shoehorn in the "He Will Knock Four Times" arc.
- Lee Evans is awful
- The Doctor's big idea for the two survivors who have discussed their aimless lives is to toss them in to be redshirts in UNIT.
- They crank up the "ISN'T THE DOCTOR WONDERFUL :swoon:" stuff to the max, in a way the RTD seasons was often guilty of, in a way that Moffat also gets criticized for despite being nowhere near as bad.
- The barest hint of something different/fun is quickly sidelined. Christina takes control of the group as the "natural leader" and the Doctor is bemused enough to sit back and let her run things... except he then proceeds to just run everything/handle the group entirely on his own while Christina just follows him around doing what he says.

Now to be fair, the location LOOKS great and there are some neat ideas in there, such as the metal stingrays who feed on a planet, generate a portal and jump to the next point in space; or the fly aliens who need a translator to understand humans rather than the other way around, or the Doctor revealing he also speaks thousands (millions?) of languages even without the TARDIS translating for him etc. Other than that it's mostly just awful though.

Edit: Oh and let's not forget it had been months since we had seen a new episode of Who, and then we had to wait months AFTER this awful episode before we got our next one. At least with a regular season, if an episode is terrible one week there is the chance for a better episode a week later.
I see.

Blame the fact I think differently than most people and don't go out of my way to look for the bad in everything
That, and most things people consider "bad" about an episode fly right over my head because I spent the first 15 years of my life with my nose in books instead of glued to television and learning about culture

Dare I ask people's opinions on The Next Doctor, which I saw for the first time about a month ago and enjoyed as well?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vinylshadow posted:

That, and most things people consider "bad" about an episode fly right over my head because I spent the first 15 years of my life with my nose in books instead of glued to television and learning about culture

Don't do this.

Seriously man, even if that is true- and what the gently caress books were you reading and where WERE you if you weren't learning about culture during that period- don't do this.

I imagine you have to have SOME idea about how this makes you sound and it's just going to make people be needlessly antagonistic with you as a result.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Burkion posted:

Don't do this.

Seriously man, even if that is true- and what the gently caress books were you reading and where WERE you if you weren't learning about culture during that period- don't do this.

I imagine you have to have SOME idea about how this makes you sound and it's just going to make people be needlessly antagonistic with you as a result.
I really don't care, to be honest.

As for being needlessly antagonistic, wonderful; by all means, waste time doing that instead of...literally anything else, which would be more productive for both them and I

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I quite liked The Next Doctor, as a Davies episode. It's a bit of a meta joke because everyone knew Tennant was leaving but didn't know who was going to replace him, and I liked Davies making an episode out of basically that. I don't really remember much about the plot, but I liked the gags about the sonic screwdriver and hot air balloon, and the ending where the Doctor finally sticks around for Christmas dinner. I might rewatch it because I'm sure I remember the villain being a radical feminist, but surely not, they'd have gotten crucified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

2house2fly posted:

I quite liked The Next Doctor, as a Davies episode. It's a bit of a meta joke because everyone knew Tennant was leaving but didn't know who was going to replace him, and I liked Davies making an episode out of basically that. I don't really remember much about the plot, but I liked the gags about the sonic screwdriver and hot air balloon, and the ending where the Doctor finally sticks around for Christmas dinner. I might rewatch it because I'm sure I remember the villain being a radical feminist, but surely not, they'd have gotten crucified
"Oh, that's cheating; sneaking up! Do you have your legs on silent?"

If only that stuck around for later Cybermen stories...or at least was only a thing with a specific class of Cybers

• Locked thread