Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Good example of amiibo bonuses: Hyrule Warriors would give you a random material depending on which amiibo you popped on at the title screen. It was like a one a day bonus, but certain amiibos might give you a higher chance of certain upgrade materials.

Bad example of amiibo bonuses: If you want a new difficulty please buy our thing. Difficulty is effectively paid DLC. It'sa me, capitalism.

Pretty much. I'm fine with some cosmetics and non-important stuff being behind amiibos (well, I don't particularly like that either but it's easy to ignore since I don't care about that stuff).

It's when you lock something that is potentially a really good addition to the game (i.e. a new difficulty) behind them that I have problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess it doesn't really strike me as much more essential than, say, a skin because a hard mode is usually just taking the same campaign and changing the damage and hp sliders on various things.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess it doesn't really strike me as much more essential than, say, a skin because a hard mode is usually just taking the same campaign and changing the damage and hp sliders on various things.

I like harder games. Having a game with a difficulty that suits your tastes is a lot better than a game that is too easy.

If the difficulty setting is badly made I won't care about it but we don't know that yet.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Good example of amiibo bonuses: Hyrule Warriors would give you a random material depending on which amiibo you popped on at the title screen. It was like a one a day bonus, but certain amiibos might give you a higher chance of certain upgrade materials.

Bad example of amiibo bonuses: If you want a new difficulty please buy our thing. Difficulty is effectively paid DLC. It'sa me, capitalism.

Hyrule Warriors also locked an entire weapon/moveset behind an amiibo so maybe not the strongest example

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Not in the 3DS version at least.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

No because those things aren't the slightest bit equivalent

Sure they are. You want stuff without having to pay for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm sorry about earlier that was wrong of me

jivjov posted:

You can still gently caress off though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Why? You're literally asking for something for free. You're not entitled to a Hard Mode for free because other games have had a Hard Mode for free.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I see that jivjov is jivjoving really hard again

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Hard mode is the most basic game concept in the world how are we in an age where it's considered a luxury bonus. Is the argument here I think

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
"Man this game won't let me use the jump button without paying extra"

Jivjov: Not every game has to let you jump. You bastard. You entitled gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is a man not entitled to the hard mode of his games?
No, says jivjov it belongs to Nintendo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sudden Javelin posted:

Jivjov: Not every game has to let you jump. You bastard. You entitled gently caress.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sudden Javelin posted:

Hard Mode is not a core mobility concept. Hell, there are plenty of games where jumping isn't even really a thing at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Is a man not entitled to the hard mode of his games?
No, says jivjov it belongs to Nintendo.

If you program your own Hard Mode, sure you're entitled to it. But Nintendo is a company selling you a product. You're not entitled to more of a thing just because you bought the base game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Hard Mode is not a core mobility concept. Hell, there are plenty of games where jumping isn't even really a thing at all.

Please don't pretend like you wouldn't defend a mobility skill being locked to amiibo

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
jivjov please seek psychiatric help to help you get over your delusion that Nintendo is your friend.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 30, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

If you program your own Hard Mode, sure you're entitled to it. But Nintendo is a company selling you a product. You're not entitled to more of a thing just because you bought the base game.

Lemon-Lime posted:

jivjov please seek psychiatric help to help you get over your delusion that Nintendo is your friend.

jivjov is right tho, and it's clear he doesn't think that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Please don't pretend like you wouldn't defend a mobility skill being locked to amiibo

If it was an added mobility thingie over and above the base game, sure that'd be fine.

Like, for example, the Space Jump in Metroid Zero Mission. The original Metroid didn't have space jump. Even in the enhanced remake, I don't think it's ever actually required. It's just a bonus you get in the new "post game" area because newer Metroid games have Space Jump. If Zero Mission was a 3DS/Wii U/Switch title and they put Space Jump in as an amiibo unlock, that'd be fine; it's an unrequired bonus thing.

Like a Hard Mode.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jivjov, is expressing any dislike of something a Nintendo does in their games being entitled?

Literally nobody is saying they have an inalienable right to the content or whatever. They just do not like Nintendo doing that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jivjov posted:

If it was an added mobility thingie over and above the base game, sure that'd be fine.

Like, for example, the Space Jump in Metroid Zero Mission. The original Metroid didn't have space jump. Even in the enhanced remake, I don't think it's ever actually required. It's just a bonus you get in the new "post game" area because newer Metroid games have Space Jump. If Zero Mission was a 3DS/Wii U/Switch title and they put Space Jump in as an amiibo unlock, that'd be fine; it's an unrequired bonus thing.

Like a Hard Mode.

Lmao

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Jivjov, is expressing any dislike of something a Nintendo does in their games being entitled?

Literally nobody is saying they have an inalienable right to the content or whatever. They just do not like Nintendo doing that.

Expressing displeasure or disappointment is fine. But saying it's a "lovely business practice" to produce and sell goods, or to act like buying one thing somehow entitles you to free other things is ridiculous.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

to act like buying one thing somehow entitles you to free other things is ridiculous.

Nobody did that. They just said it's poo poo to lock it behind amiibos, like it is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Nobody did that. They just said it's poo poo to lock it behind amiibos, like it is.

This entire argument started because someone's mad they aren't getting an optional Hard Mode bundled in with their purchase of the base game, on the basis of "other games have Hard modes."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

This entire argument started because someone's mad they aren't getting an optional Hard Mode bundled in with their purchase of the base game, on the basis of "other games have Hard modes."

Yeah they dislike Nintendo doing a lovely thing, how unreasonable

You literally just said that expressing displeasure or disappointment over what Nintendo is doing is fine.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Andrast posted:

Yeah they dislike Nintendo doing a lovely thing, how unreasonable

You literally just said that expressing displeasure or disappointment is fine.

What lovely thing? Why is it lovely to make and sell products? Should Nintendo just give everything away for free?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

What lovely thing? Why is it lovely to make and sell products? Should Nintendo just give everything away for free?

:rolleyes:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The complaint was not "I'm disappointed by this". The complaint was "its lovely that Nintendo is making and selling a thing, I should have that for free because I bought this other thing"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Which amiibo do I have to scan to end this derail

koren
Sep 7, 2003

jivjov posted:

People compare products to other products. When a company takes a feature out of games - a feature that when implemented, is usually free - and charges extra for it at launch, it's not unreasonable to call it a lovely business practice. To make matters worse, they're tying to another physical product for which there is a limited supply.

This isn't 'entitlement', it's standing up for yourself as a consumer. This really isn't a radical position to take.

koren fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 30, 2017

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Which amiibo do I have to scan to end this derail

Sorry, I briefly forgot I was arguing with a Nintendo elemental

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

jivjov posted:

It's a lovely practice to sell a toys-to-life figurine that does stuff in a game?

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

Are you also mad that they sell individual video games and that buying your 3DS didn't get you the entire library with no additional purchases required?

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

Why? You're literally asking for something for free. You're not entitled to a Hard Mode for free because other games have had a Hard Mode for free.

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

Like a Hard Mode.

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

Expressing displeasure or disappointment is fine. But saying it's a "lovely business practice" to produce and sell goods, or to act like buying one thing somehow entitles you to free other things is ridiculous.

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

The complaint was not "I'm disappointed by this". The complaint was "its lovely that Nintendo is making and selling a thing, I should have that for free because I bought this other thing"

gently caress you

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

koren posted:

People compare products to other products. When a company takes a feature out of games - a feature that when implemented, is usually free - and charges extra for it at launch, it's not unreasonable to call it a lovely business practice. To make matters worse, they're tying to another physical product for which there is a limited supply.

This isn't 'entitlement', it's standing up for yourself as a consumer. This really isn't a radical position to take.

Nobody thought Hard Mode was ever implemented for free. Nothing was promised to us and "taken out".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

Do pointless personal attacks make you feel better about yourself?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure they had a point

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I just hope regular hard mode is available normally. I think Zelda gets a pass because hard mode isn't a staple of the franchise (right? Master Quest for OoT was extra). If they're just locking the suit behind the Amiibo then I don't care.

Alas there are no more preorders.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

wuggles posted:

I just hope regular hard mode is available normally. I think Zelda gets a pass because hard mode isn't a staple of the franchise (right? Master Quest for OoT was extra). If they're just locking the suit behind the Amiibo then I don't care.

Alas there are no more preorders.

The botw one was also on a DLC that had other things in it and wasn't day one. Also, not locked to a toy I don't want.

It was still bad dlc though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 30, 2017

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oh hey is this the thread to post about New Nintendo 3DS...

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

gently caress you

jivjov posted:

:yikes:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm completely baffled by the logic "some games had a free Hard Mode, therefore ever selling a Hard Mode separately is a terrible business practice"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In all seriousness, fewer than half of players finish the main campaign of a video game they purchase.

By that reasoning, an even smaller amount of them attempt alternate game modes.

Is it not then justified to approach some kind of monentization in order to justify, fund the development of, and incentiveize these modes when the people who play them are an ever shrinking demographic?