Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Pretty big fan of Goodnotes 4. I wish it had vertically scrolling pages but searchable handwriting and custom page backgrounds are working really well for me. The pen in "penultimate" (the evernotes pen notes app) has a nice feel and looks pretty but it's laggy af. Goodnotes does that stuff really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have years and years of stuff in Evernote. I loathe their new paid model, and kind of feel held hostage by it. I got my work to pay for this past year, or was like $35, not sure if I will pay again. I probably will because :effort:
A bunch of people at my work are moving to Keep or the new Microsoft note thing.

OneNote is a bug-riddled confusing catastrophe in my experience. I'm not a power user by any stretch so all the bells and whistles it has are real superfluous, and there are two versions (desktop and UWP) with monstrous sync issues between them even on the same device (I used a SP4). Using the surface pen on the desktop version was laggy and bad, and trying to do anything more than doodle or take hand notes on the UWP version was nigh-impossible, so I had to swap to the desktop version which then wasn't synced at all :confuoot:

I ended up using my SP4 as a laptop and going back to hand notes; hence coming back to Apple with my tail between my legs, because the Surface line is a supremely subpar laptop and subpar tablet, and having 75% of each device baked into one got old pretty fast. Along with QA issues but that's another deal.

E: I can't do the spelling

Enemu fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 31, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Enemu posted:

OneNote is a bug-riddled confusing catastrophe in my experience. I'm not a power user by any stretch so all the bells and whistles it has are real superfluous, and there are two versions (desktop and UWP) with monstrous sync issues between them even on the same device (I used a SP4). Using the surface pen on the desktop version was laggy and bad, and trying to do anything more than doodle or take hand notes on the UWP version was nigh-impossible, so I had to swap to the desktop version which then wasn't synced at all :confuoot:

I had pretty much the opposite experience. Evernote was always way more than I needed, so when they started charging, I jumped right away to OneNote. Syncs flawlessly between my phone, laptop, and office computer. I don't need it for much, just basic written notes separated into a few broad notebooks, but I've had zero reason to look for something else.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

They'rs pretty much all wet-apply now, so it's really easy to get perfect.

They come with a little squirt bottle of solution. You spray down the film, then it slides easily around on the back of your device. Maybe a hair dryer to get the curved edges to tack in place, then let it dry overnight.

There's lots of videos.

Ended up buying something from slickwraps which looks like dry apply with a hair dryer for the corners. I hope it works out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have years and years of stuff in Evernote. I loathe their new paid model, and kind of feel held hostage by it. I got my work to pay for this past year, or was like $35, not sure if I will pay again. I probably will because :effort:
A bunch of people at my work are moving to Keep or the new Microsoft note thing.

I'll have to give Google Keep a go. With Evernote not being worth the price and One Note eating my notebook not once, but twice, I've been using Notability (and backing it up).

My only concern is that it will end up like a lot of Google's neat tools and die of neglect.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
OneNote is pretty awesome for me. I could never get into EverNote. But if we're talking about Pencil use, neither one really benefits from it for me.

Notability is my go-to iPad Pencil note taking app. I bought it on sale for my iPad 2 so I've gotten half a decade of use for like .99 cents.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How high risk is buying an open-box Apple Pencil from Best Buy? I got a 50 dollar giftcard laying around and open box Pencils range from 70-80, which translates to at most 30 out of pocket. Worst case scenario, I'd probably need to buy some more tips in the near future, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

How high risk is buying an open-box Apple Pencil from Best Buy? I got a 50 dollar giftcard laying around and open box Pencils range from 70-80, which translates to at most 30 out of pocket. Worst case scenario, I'd probably need to buy some more tips in the near future, right?

Shouldn't be an issue. I've bought a few open box things and never had a problem. It should come with an extra tip.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's around this time of year, when my iPad keeps inexplicably freezing on the multi-tasking window so badly that I can't even put it to sleep, that I really wish I waited before installing betas.

That goodness this is the only device I made that mistake with.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thinking about picking up an iPad for when I'm travelling and for work. Don't take many photos or videos so storage isn't really a big deal.

I really like the idea of being able to multi-task but I'm not sure if the Pro is worth the extra 300 quid?

What's the thread consensus on how the multi-tasking features improve the product?

edit: Also I'm assuming the Pro will probably hold its value more further down the line

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2017

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

Thinking about picking up an iPad for when I'm travelling and for work. Don't take many photos or videos so storage isn't really a big deal.

I really like the idea of being able to multi-task but I'm not sure if the Pro is worth the extra 300 quid?

What's the thread consensus on how the multi-tasking features improve the product?

edit: Also I'm assuming the Pro will probably hold its value more further down the line

If you are talking about the big pro vs the smaller one I'd say its worth it. I love having the larger screen for pretty much everything.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I actually meant the 10.5" iPad vs the 10.5" iPad Pro. The big one would be too big for me I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Entropy238 posted:

I actually meant the 10.5" iPad vs the 10.5" iPad Pro. The big one would be too big for me I think.

Oh well then I wouldn't say its worth that much extra IMO.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I’m not sure it’s worth that much but I do use it a lot on my 9.7 Pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think there is a 10.5" iPad, just the 9.7" and then the Pro is the one with the bigger screens

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The 10.5" iPad is the smaller of the two Pro models.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's around this time of year, when my iPad keeps inexplicably freezing on the multi-tasking window so badly that I can't even put it to sleep, that I really wish I waited before installing betas.

That goodness this is the only device I made that mistake with.

Yeah this has been an issue for at least the last two betas

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The last update really screwed performance pretty much everywhere on my Air (1). Was ok before that, but this last week, yikes.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm thanks for the help. Still not decided.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Why are there so many people taking about a 10.5 inch base iPad.

Get the 10.5 inch pro, it owns.

I can compare directly with a friends 9.7 pro all the time and it makes me very glad i got the 10.5. Disregarding the power/ram bump. The 10.5 is just so much nicer to look at

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 2, 2017

smr
Dec 18, 2002

ethanol posted:

Why are there so many people taking about a 10.5 inch base iPad.

Get the 10.5 inch pro, it owns.

I can compare directly with a friends 9.7 pro all the time and it makes me very glad i got the 10.5. Disregarding the power/ram bump. The 10.5 is just so much nicer to look at

The bezels on the non-10.5 iPads already look like the 30-pin connector to me, just gross and archaic (I'm trying out my new Gruber shtick, how am I doing?).

Seriously, though, the 10.5 is just lovely all-around and aesthetically it's very, very pleasing. It's like you're just holding a screen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

smr posted:

The bezels on the non-10.5 iPads already look like the 30-pin connector to me, just gross and archaic (I'm trying out my new Gruber shtick, how am I doing?).

Seriously, though, the 10.5 is just lovely all-around and aesthetically it's very, very pleasing. It's like you're just holding a screen.

The vertical bezels are still really gross though :whitewater:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Our CE thought he wanted one of the large Pros but it got abandoned on my desk shortly after so clearly he didn’t think much of it. After fiddling with it for a bit I don’t think much of it either, it’s in the same size bracket as lightweight laptops and the official keyboard case is so clunky and awful that I don’t see why you’d bother.

It doesn’t have a pencil though so perhaps that’d change my opinion of it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I absolutely hated my 12.9 to the point that I pretty much stopped using it at all, but love my 10.5

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The 12.9 is really good. The weight is really the worst thing about it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The weight would bother me more if I was coming from an Air or Air 2. Those iPads were seriously light.

But I've still got an iPad 3rd Generation which weighs about the same as a 12.9 Pro so it's the same weight but thinner and bigger.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Posting from my 10.5 inch iPad Pro - a revolutionary new way to read the something awful dot com forums

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Digital Jesus posted:

I absolutely hated my 12.9 to the point that I pretty much stopped using it at all, but love my 10.5

The 12.9 isn't practical and sort of defeats the convenience aspect of tablets IMO.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: I love the 12.9.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Yeah, it's great for drawing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I also love the 12.9 and it's quite perfect.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The 12.9 is awesome, but yeah, it isn’t the best as far as portability goes. It’s great for reading my local online newspaper tho (which is the same layout as the physical paper but more like a PDF I guess). It’s also great for drawing and the larger pro keyboard is my absolute favorite.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The keyboard is probably the worst part about the Pro IMO - it’s embarrassingly bad and something Apple should never have released.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

First I’ve heard. Everyone I know IRL loves it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

dissss posted:

The keyboard is probably the worst part about the Pro IMO - it’s embarrassingly bad and something Apple should never have released.

:confused:

Except it's not? It's actually awesome.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Uh oh think we got an apple grump

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

What is awesome about it? The spongy keys, the weird texture or the awkward angle it leaves the display at?

Apple makes some good products but you guys don’t have to be relentlessly positive about their crummy ones.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I criticize Apple when they deserve it, but the pro keyboard is not one of those times. Functionally, it’s pretty much perfect AFAIC. Definitely better than the new MacBook keyboard (especially much less prone to break, considering how many I’ve had to fix or replace in my shop).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Pro keyboard is good for what it is imo. It isn't good compared to, say, the 2015 Macbook Pro I'm currently typing on, but it's vastly better than typing on the screen, and even the Macbook keyboard (from using it in stores)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I love my 12.9 pro keyboard. It's a full keyboard that is a cover. It's amazing.