Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Work in progress on THE VIGILANT FOXES.

Time to get a lightbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Time to get a lightbox.

I am loving this. The black really works.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

That biggle looks great, but where is the tail?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It might but be finished for a while. I have vacation coming up and my wife just destroyed her rotator cuff with the help of our dogs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

Time to get a lightbox.

:swoon:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TKIY posted:

It might but be finished for a while. I have vacation coming up and my wife just destroyed her rotator cuff with the help of our dogs.

poo poo happens bro, and that dude is already decently foxy so hey whatever you're done :)

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Chiwie posted:

Needs more gold regal-ness.

Edit:

Looking at this for BATTLE SLAYERS. Mandatory colour is going on the gun casing/tacticool pouches. Problem is that there is no way in hell I can freehand an eagle for the shoulder pad, anyone got a link to a shoulder pad that looks like this:

Progress. Also gently caress painting red.

Still have no idea how I'm going to do the totally-not-slayer shoulder badges.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm liking where these are going!

My biglyman showed up this morning so I'll likely get started on him this weekend.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TKIY posted:

No worries!

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Holy poo poo the battle slayers are rad, nice dude.

Here's mine, the DIAMOND SLAYERS

Sadly my lovely phone camera doesn't do it justice

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've got stuff written for this thing and got the scheme planned and my car decided to flip its poo poo just as I wanted to go get the paint and bigly pack. See y'all with a progress report for the Snarling Lords on friday I guess!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chiwie posted:

Progress. Also gently caress painting red.
Did you paint over black? If you did, stop. At most, paint red over a brown - reds aren't strong enough to go over a black base.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Did you paint over black? If you did, stop. At most, paint red over a brown - reds aren't strong enough to go over a black base.

Totally disagree. As long as you do two thin base coats of mephiston red, it can turn out super vibrant. Both my Howling Griffons and my entire Ad Mech army were primed black.

Thin ya paints! Two thin coats!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Airbrush your base coat. My guy up there is primed black and sprayed Evil Sunz Scarlet in one coat, then a zenithal of Troll Slayer orange and then my mandatory color of Ratskin Flesh for the lightest zenithal highlight.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

+++ THE ROYAL HORNETS +++

All citizens of the hive city Provespa grow up in the shadow of the three great spires. Home to ancient and once noble houses, by the 41st millennium the towers stood only as monuments to the debauched incompetence and corruption of the planetary government. Unsatisfied with his prodigious theft from the imperial tithe, the Governor’s greed eventually drove him and his councillors to consort with the ruinous powers for both otherwordly pleasures and protection from the Emperor’s justice. One early morning while enjoying the former, they found the latter; without warning an Astartes strike fleet arrived in low orbit. As squadrons of Thunderhawk gunships brimming with Marines made planetfall it was clear the Yellow Jackets had arrived to mete out a long needed retribution.

Known for swift and punishing surgical strikes, the Yellow Jackets were blindsided by particularly strong anti-aircraft defenses manned by a traitor garrison of Astra Militarum. Forced into an attritional siege of the spires, the Jackets found their smaller tactical force overrun by sheer numbers of traitor Guard and stymied by powerful emplaced guns. In their hour of need, help came from an unlikely place - bands of deserted loyalist Guard, beleaguered Arbites, industrial security forces, and even common citizens and gangers. These irregulars served as a valuable guerrilla force, undermining and sabotaging emplaced defenses, and proving a crucial distraction in the final assault on the Governor’s spire. Elite stormtroopers and even foul servants of the warp - summoned as a final resort by the doomed Governor - were drawn away, allowing the Yellow Jackets to complete their infiltration of the spire. With their leadership dead, the traitors panicked and fled, ultimately falling to the judgment of the Astartes and the dogged pursuit of the diminished irregulars.

Shaped by many years of privation under a corrupt government and the unusually harsh nature of life in their city, the citizens, gangers and guardsmen of Provespa proved their worth in urban combat. These qualities were not lost on the officers of the Yellow Jackets who reported their suitability as a recruiting pool for not only elite Imperial troops, but even as potential stock for new Astartes. In the years of the Ultima Founding, this advice was heeded and from the most ruthless, determined, and proud specimens of Provespa’s fighting forces were drawn recruits for the Royal Hornets.

The sigil of the Royal Hornets is a crown inspired by the massive towers which dominate their home, the tallest of which gleams white and free from corruption. Their customary armor is painted a base of common brown, banded with golden accents as both reminder of their humble origins and celebration of their newfound glory. Marines who serve honorably in defense of their brethren are given additional gilding befitting their actions. Gleaming purple helmets, shoulders, and aquilas invoke the royal heritage that has reshaped them in the image of the God Emperor, while their glowing red lenses speak to the ferocity with which they dole out his will.

This guy is inspired by the brown-gold coloration of a Japanese Giant Hornet, with a metallic purple component recommended by Beer (who ended up rocking metallic purple, too, which is awesome). My edge highlighting is a little dodgy, and my hacked together transfers are a little uneven but overall this guy was a ton of fun to do!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Fantastic. :allears:

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Holy poo poo those are awesome

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That marine is loving sick

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Let me know if I missed anyone who is done.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also everyone is doing an amazing job. Who else is thinking about making their guys into full armies?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also everyone is doing an amazing job. Who else is thinking about making their guys into full armies?

My wallet is openly weeping as I scour ebay for dark imperium deals

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Waiting for my box sets to show up that I found for cheap on Ebay

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Royal Hornets loving own. How did you do the purple? It's gorgeous!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm trying to figure out how Zone Mortalis works so I can make a small Star Justicars force with shields to use as Breachers. But that's after I finish my AdMech, then my Howling Griffons, then my Ironjawz.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Considering, yeah.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

they're multiplying

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. Only issue I have it that I really suck at freehanding so I'd probably have to spring for decals for the tiny, fiddly chapter logo.

Or just buy a bunch of those 3d printed gryphons and change the name slightly.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Royal Hornets loving own. How did you do the purple? It's gorgeous!

Luckily this is super easy to replicate as I've had really good luck with Testor's airbrushable acrylic metallics. I can't speak to the standard colors but the pearl metallics have surprisingly good coverage and shine - the shoulder pads are 1 brushed coat over black primer. And true to their name, I've had no problems pushing them through my Patriot 105.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Let me know if I missed anyone who is done.

Is there an Imgur album or something?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Is there an Imgur album or something?

Second post.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Those hornets are loving awesome, excellent color choices and placement. Really like the insignia and fluff.

When it comes to colored metallics, scale75's alchemy paints are also a great choice. I've been impressed with those I've used thus far.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Here's my progress for tonight on my test model's base coat. Don't plan on using the auto bolt rifle Lt much if at all, so testing it out on him first so I can make mistakes. Man, the ironhull grey showing through on the edges isn't even visible to me in person, weird. I went over the mini with ironhull grey in places that the zenithal didn't hit so I'm not painting straight on black primer. Anyway a few errant paint spots to clean up, those edges to clean up, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do for the purity seal. Any advice on it so far?

Thinking I'll make their helmet crest a white stripe, any thoughts on that?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 2, 2017

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Oh of course :v:

If you're feeling up to some extra clicking I have a better shot of my mans's shoulder. Thanks for organizing this!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

parabolic posted:

+++ THE ROYAL HORNETS +++

Yup, this came out fantastically. Color scheme is too rad not to make some more of em!

InsaneCheese
Jul 24, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Once I saw how the Deathclaws actually came out, I decided to do an army(well that, and it seemed like a waste to come up a backstory and such as well) Just need to eBay a million sets of Lightning Claws from the Calth box.
Just have to work out what Dark Imperium needs. Other than more dakka.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Oh of course :v:

If you're feeling up to some extra clicking I have a better shot of my mans's shoulder. Thanks for organizing this!

If you wouldn't mind editing your original post I will c/p the whole thing again.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you wouldn't mind editing your original post I will c/p the whole thing again.

Done thanks!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
wip shots of my death slayers:black101: big boy

excuse the less than stellar photo job, not really set up for it

first gw model ive put paint to in around 15 years. first time trying edge highlighting, not really sure how to do the shoulder pads, especially the rounded upper portion

also color ideas for the metallic bits, eye lenses, pouches and soft armor would be welcome. im banned from using abbadon black, so thats right out obviously

for the chapter symbol, im either thinking a skull with some kind of sword or axe embedded in it, or a :black101: as an homage to its inception on this dead gay forum

prototype14
Nov 6, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are the LIGHT REDEEMERS.

WIP time!
I got my lantern off the Knight Azyros kit, because it sounded like a fantastic thing to replace a pointy-hand with, and sprayed the entire guy yellow:

Time for a bit more of a highlight and tidy up with some more detail!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

prototype14 posted:

WIP time!
I got my lantern off the Knight Azyros kit, because it sounded like a fantastic thing to replace a pointy-hand with, and sprayed the entire guy yellow:

Everything about this is rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

prototype14 posted:

WIP time!

gently caress dude. 10/10

• Locked thread