Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:supaburn: OH MY GOD <Favorite Team> PUT <Star Player> ON WAIVERS WHAT THE gently caress!?!:supaburn:

quote:

The non-waiver Trade Deadline is considered the height of summer transaction season, but trades do not stop on July 31. However, in order to deal a player on its 40-man roster after that date, a team must go through the waiver system.

How do August trades work? Here's a primer:
• It's important to note that teams expose most of their players, except those on the disabled list, to revocable waivers at some point during August. So that act, by itself, does not mean much, as there is no risk involved.
• When a player is on waivers, other teams can submit a claim. If more than one team does, those in the same league as that player's team get first priority, starting with the club with the worst record on the day of the claim. Then, the priority moves to the other league, starting with the worst record. For example, if a National League team puts a player on waivers, the NL team with the worst record gets the first shot at him, and the last-place American League club would be right behind the top NL club.
• Once a player is claimed, his team faces three options. It can pull the player back and keep him, negotiate a trade with the claiming team or let the player go. In the last scenario, the claiming team takes full responsibility for the player's remaining salary. If the two sides decide to work out a trade, they have two days to do so.
• If a player goes unclaimed for two days, he "passes through" waivers. His team then can trade him to any other team for the rest of the season, unless he has a no-trade clause, a limited no-trade provision or 10/5 rights (10 years in the Majors, five consecutive years with his current team).
• Players dealt after Aug. 31 are not eligible to participate in the postseason.
• A team can pull a player back from waivers only once. So if a player is pulled back but then placed on waivers a second time and claimed, his rights go to the team that is awarded the claim.

tl;dr - unless a reputable reporter says there's a trade brewing, it doesn't mean anything, you twit

MLB.tv Sharing Thread

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well guys, I'm gonna live on the edge another year:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810860

Let's give it a shot and hope for the best.

CLICK THE COOL THING FOR .GIF THREAD

https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/891758864021860352

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/891770784166813696

:unsmith:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 1, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
2015 Cubs in August: 19-9
2016 Cubs in August: 22-6

Let's keep this train rollin'

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

2015 Cubs in August: 19-9
2016 Cubs in August: 22-6

Let's keep this train rollin'

Let's not and say we did.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
August is when the Giants make their big comeback and overtake the division.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Bob James posted:

The Giants could run the table and be mathematically eliminated before Labor Day.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bob James posted:

And so begins odd year bullshit.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The Giants could run the table and be mathematically eliminated before Labor Day.

they have the league right where they want them

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I still can't get over those two Orioles deals. Does Duquette have photos of Angelos loving a donkey or something? How is he still meaningfully employed by a major league team?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Apparently the Cardinals made a play for Sonny Gray, offering Piscotty and Weaver or Flaherty. I don't get it. The rotation is full for this year and next.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The team needs to hit rock bottom for management to even think about selling, huh?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Apparently the Cardinals made a play for Sonny Gray, offering Piscotty and Weaver or Flaherty. I don't get it. The rotation is full for this year and next.

Waino might be dead/even worse next year and Reyes will be dealt with very carefully. But yea, I don't get it even with saying these things.

Cardinals love buying out arb and then trading players.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Madness.
https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/892422955023650816

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Looks like Yadi is taking another jab at Matheny, wishing Oquendo was manager like we all do.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXO_34-hZ4h/

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Jon Mayo is reporting that Braves are calling up our #2 overall prospect (#19 MLB) Ozzie Albies today.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

high quality thread title 10/10 would read again :golfclap:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Jon Mayo is reporting that Braves are calling up our #2 overall prospect (#19 MLB) Ozzie Albies today.

For context, his OPS is like 120 points over what he did in AAA last half of last season and he's got a 111 wRC+. He's not setting the world on fire but I'm guessing they want to know where he is compared to MLB pitching right now so they know if they need to start looking for more place holders for 2018.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Better loving not be to just sit him there watching Camargo and Phillips play.

Edit: Albies will be the first major leaguer born in 1997. The millennium approaches.

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 1, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Oh also Lucas Sims is making his MLB debut tonight against the Dodgers, which seems like a good idea.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Luhnow is clearly shook from being burned by such trade deadline deals as Scott Kazmir and Carlos Gomez

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Better loving not be to just sit him there watching Camargo and Phillips play.

Edit: Albies will be the first major leaguer born in 1997. The millennium approaches.

He's starting at 2B tonight, Camargo will be SS. Freddie is at 1B and Matt Adams is in.....Left :lol:

elentar posted:

Oh also Lucas Sims is making his MLB debut tonight against the Dodgers, which seems like a good idea.

Oh good that makes three rookies starting for the Braves today.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 1, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's starting at 2B tonight, Camargo will be SS. Freddie is at 1B and Matt Adams is in.....Left:lol:

Let's lobby for Schwarbs and Voit in their respective left fields tonight. All-beef day.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Intruder posted:

Luhnow is clearly shook from being burned by such trade deadline deals as Scott Kazmir and Carlos Gomez

The Kazmir trade wasn't even bad. Hell, even Josh Hader, the big piece of the Gomez trade, doesn't look like a starter long term.

Why would he be so burnt by those?

Edit: I completely forgot Fiers was in that deal. Neither of those trades are truly awful.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

Let's lobby for Schwarbs and Voit in their respective left fields tonight. All-beef day.

None pizza left beef. I like it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I don't think Keuchel is going to make friends in the clubhouse after this.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/892480240232132614/video/1

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodgers winning percentage by month:

April - .538
May - .679
June - .750
July - .870

they're gonna go 25-2 in August, undefeated in September, and somehow win more games than they play in October

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
gently caress the Yankees forever, but let it be known - Aaron Judge is awesome and cool.

I am bored at work. I made this.

It's no Ibanez lawn dart, but long live monster homer runs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrMidnight posted:

I don't think Keuchel is going to make friends in the clubhouse after this.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/892480240232132614/video/1

The irony of that statement coming from a guy who's spent huge chunks of the season on the DL, and whose absence and unreliability were major considerations for chasing new arms in trades :captainpop:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

He's starting at 2B tonight, Camargo will be SS. Freddie is at 1B and Matt Adams is in.....Left :lol:

Apparently Freddie is back at first full time now, and Phillips is on the bench when not spelling third. Would guess Phillips and Adams both get waiver-traded ASAP, not sure why they couldn't move them yesterday if this was the plan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jeff Passan and Doug Gottlieb are having a little twitter beef.

Gottlieb had some dumb hot take about how we should be suspicious Adrian Beltre is on steroids because he's from the Dominican Republic and it's easy to get PEDs there. This wasn't Passan's initial reply but it's his best:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/892484794591981569

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sonny Gray is wearing 55, and he's starting Thursday. Yanks going to a six man rotation since Severino threw a ton of pitches last night

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

elentar posted:

Apparently Freddie is back at first full time now, and Phillips is on the bench when not spelling third. Would guess Phillips and Adams both get waiver-traded ASAP, not sure why they couldn't move them yesterday if this was the plan.

Enjoy the Matt Adams Left Field Experience.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kirios posted:

The Kazmir trade wasn't even bad. Hell, even Josh Hader, the big piece of the Gomez trade, doesn't look like a starter long term.

Why would he be so burnt by those?

Edit: I completely forgot Fiers was in that deal. Neither of those trades are truly awful.

Brett Phillips was the bigger piece in the Gomez trade IMO

The most annoying thing I guess is Luhnow seemed to be focused only on the guys who had years of cheap team control left but was unwilling to give up much for them when those guys are always going to be pretty expensive

e: Though it seems like they should have been able to beat the Gray offer with something like Tucker and Whitley (though I'm super high on Tucker, but prospects will break your heart and all that)

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 1, 2017

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Profar is upset he wasn't traded even though he has been trash anytime he has played for the rangers. They probably can't get poo poo for him anymore

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

He should have learned how to sleep without loving up his shoulder.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

I like Phillips but he won't be in baseball longer anyway. I wish we could find something for Adams to do, I like him too much.

But yeah if we were going to lose both/either of them, I wish they would have done something yesterday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Sonny Gray is wearing 55, and he's starting Thursday. Yanks going to a six man rotation since Severino threw a ton of pitches last night

They say it's only for one time through, but I think they're going to have Gumby take a few of Severino's starts until September. They both have to be on some kind of innings limits, even if nobody will say so.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How bad was Freddie's 3B defense?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Britton was gonna go to the Astros, but the Os owner vetoed it.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5337883-report-orioles-owner-vetoed-zach-britton-trade-to-astros-in-last-hour?a_aid=40030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

gently caress

Makes me wonder what the offer was. Can any Cardinals dudes hack Ground Control again?

• Locked thread