Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My favorite part of HoI3 is that I bought a new PC just to play it at launch, and ended up playing for three hours before giving up.

I think that was also the last Paradox title that was objectively bad at launch? The rest have all been pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

My favorite part of HoI3 is how my eyes start bleeding if I look at it for more than like a minute.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jeoh posted:

My favorite part of HoI3 is that I bought a new PC just to play it at launch, and ended up playing for three hours before giving up.

I think that was also the last Paradox title that was objectively bad at launch? The rest have all been pretty good.

sengoku

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Tech demos dont count.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Farecoal posted:

I want to play it but :lol: at the price

It'll be $20-30 over Christmas, get it then.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Huskalator posted:

Got nothin to do with realism vs sandbox and everything to do with it being a poo poo game with poo poo AI and poo poo mechanics

That said, if you love that poo poo pile of poo then more power to you

How are you gonna tell me that HoI3 has poo poo mechanics when HoI4 does air and naval combat completely pants on head retardedly and land combat is a boring a-historical slog.

HoI3 - Use my army to defeat the other army with an overall strategy, taking into account variables like encirclements, weather, terrain. LIKE A WARGAME

HoI4 - Draw a line. Click a button. Win.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

HoI is a bad series.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mantis42 posted:

HoI is a bad series.

Yep.

Sucks, but true.

EDIT: Like, the weakest part of Paradox games is always the combat. HoI should be 1901 - 2001, with war being a much smaller focus. Shake things out in WW1, go fascist/communist/democratic and try to survive the cold war, deal with sweeping social changes, launch a space program, GAME OVER M.A.D. system, etc etc

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 2, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Phi230 posted:

How are you gonna tell me that HoI3 has poo poo mechanics when HoI4 does air and naval combat completely pants on head retardedly and land combat is a boring a-historical slog.

HoI3 - Use my army to defeat the other army with an overall strategy, taking into account variables like encirclements, weather, terrain. LIKE A WARGAME

HoI4 - Draw a line. Click a button. Win.

The HoI4 system actually sounds a lot more realistic than the older games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Phi230 posted:

HoI3 - Spend an hour sorting out OOB, wrangle with pre-CK2 Paradox interface, realize that you could be playing a much better game, uninstall

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I didn't think anyone was an unironic HoI3 fan

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I really like what HoI4 has done with production, and I think the battle plans work out ok. There's flaws that should be ironed out, but from what I've played of it the last couple weeks it feels like a good game whose fundamentals are solid.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Every paradox game is good

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

walgreenslatino posted:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/diplomacy-2005/665958p1.html

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If you spend more than 15 minutes on the OOB you might have major brain issues

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

walgreenslatino posted:

Take your pick.

or

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Yep.

Sucks, but true.

EDIT: Like, the weakest part of Paradox games is always the combat. HoI should be 1901 - 2001, with war being a much smaller focus. Shake things out in WW1, go fascist/communist/democratic and try to survive the cold war, deal with sweeping social changes, launch a space program, GAME OVER M.A.D. system, etc etc

So basically 20th century Victoria.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Nckdictator posted:

Take your pick.

or

Isn't that the unreleased EU2 DS game and the... E3 map mod for Darkest Hour?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Why is that weird man winking at me?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

catlord posted:

Isn't that the unreleased EU2 DS game and the... E3 map mod for Darkest Hour?

unreleased EU2 DS game and Iron Cross I believe.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
East vs West would have been the worst Paradox game if it ever came out.

I can only hope that its failure hasnt poisoned the well for a Cold War era Paradox game forever. I'd play the poo poo out of that if they did it right.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I can only hope that its failure hasnt poisoned the well for a Cold War era Paradox game forever. I'd play the poo poo out of that if they did it right.

I've mentioned it a bunch of times before, but if they ever make a Victoria 3, I'd love if they eventually did a Cold War timeline expansion for it. So many of the themes and mechanics fit perfectly already and it would be really cool playing straight from the late colonial era in through the Cold War and watching how the politics of the former shaped the latter.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Nckdictator posted:

unreleased EU2 DS game and Iron Cross I believe.

Ah, I was going to say, I'm not sure that an unreleased game and a mod really count. I'm a bit iffy on if third party games like Iron Cross, Darkest Hour, FtG, ect. count either, but at least those are products you can buy with the Paradox branding.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Based on the state's of Stellaris and HoI4 I don't want paradox to make vikky 3

Like from this thread the people who want vikky 3 don't seem to like vikky 2 that much

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

catlord posted:

Ah, I was going to say, I'm not sure that an unreleased game and a mod really count. I'm a bit iffy on if third party games like Iron Cross, Darkest Hour, FtG, ect. count either, but at least those are products you can buy with the Paradox branding.

darkest hour and for the glory are better than most real paradox games fortunately

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

catlord posted:

'Eh , I was joking. I just find the basic idea of EU2 on a handheld system to be a hilariously bad premise and the idea that it was even considered strikes me as funny.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Phi230 posted:

If you spend more than 15 minutes on the OOB you might have major brain issues

iirc isn't not really worth it unless you're filling out the entire thing, like you get a penalty or 0 bonuses

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pakled posted:

:same:

I would really love a fantastic Cold War grand strategy that has incredibly little focus on the war part.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phi230 posted:

Based on the state's of Stellaris and HoI4 I don't want paradox to make vikky 3

Like from this thread the people who want vikky 3 don't seem to like vikky 2 that much

I like many parts of vicky 2. There are also many parts I dislike. If the game was perfect as-is I wouldn't be asking for a new one - not much point in change for the sake of change.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dont forget the cold war mod for vicky 2, hahahahaha

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Fintilgin posted:

Yep.

Sucks, but true.

The part of HOI4 that I replay over and over again is the buildup to war. Optimizing for the best possible start when things kick off is super addictive. The actual fighting bits are fine (naval combat is particularly good) but I would love it so much if the game ran even, say, 1901-1950.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm still waiting for Victoria 3. They'll announce it any day now. Gamescom is about to happen guys.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm still waiting for Victoria 3. They'll announce it any day now. Gamescom is about to happen guys.

Vikky 3 is the new Half life 3

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
As always Paradox games become good if you play multiplayer and just ignore the AI entirely

Exceptions for Stellaris, whose MP is exactly as stale as SP, and CKII, which would be good if it worked

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

We're getting Rome 2 first.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

airfix dogfighter 2

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jackie D posted:

I didn't think anyone was an unironic HoI3 fan
I loving love the game and know a few others who do too. The OOB is ridiculous and awful but you can get by just fine by assigning good upper level leaders and then just spamming the rest.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Palleon posted:

We're getting Rome 2 first.

that'd be cool too actually

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vicky 3 is my friend and will also start closer to eu4s end date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Obliterati posted:

CKII, which would be good if it worked

CKII multiplayer is basically "Ow my balls", if anyone is allowed to play a Greek character.