Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

SirTagz posted:

Any plans for a silicon based species pack? Or just rock people? I am giving up creating my own animated Silicoid prortaits for a MOO2 mod. poo poo is hard.

That's basically playing as a robot. The only mechanical differences is manually constructing pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Wiz, I know the focus at the moment is on machine empires and they look pretty cool. I'm curious to know if you have any desire to look more at FE interactions with normal empires? At the moment they are more obstacle than anything but I was thinking it would be cool if as normal empires advance through the games the FEs begin to interact a bit. Maybe the spiritualists will try to get empires to convert it fight a proxy war for them about a holy world or something. Maybe the materialists could get you to investigate a Leviathan or build more robots.

The FEs seem like they have a lot of potential to be more interactive and cause conflict and events than they currently do. I'm curious if you have any intention to do some changes or improvements to them in the future on a later patch or content pack?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Anticheese posted:

That's basically playing as a robot. The only mechanical differences is manually constructing pops.

Uh excuse me the noble rockpeople are nothing like those loving alloys

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

DatonKallandor posted:

Since we're getting so many cool new species treatment options, how about a "Conscription" purge type or even converting Battle-Thralls into a Purge slavery option. Like eating pops to death but instead of food you get army units while the pop is slowly destroyed.

This is a really cool idea thematically, but I wouldn't want to actually use it until armies get a rework.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Korgan posted:

Uh excuse me the noble rockpeople are nothing like those loving alloys

Silicon hearts, silicon brains. Tbf the flesh-eating crystals are much more aesthetically pleasing than the droids.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
EU4 eventually figured out how to build armies from multiple recruitment centers without being micro hell

Stellaris should do the same for fleets

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

EU4 eventually figured out how to build armies from multiple recruitment centers without being micro hell

Agreed

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

:agreed:

And it would stop sectored shipyards from being awkward to use.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

Rock people eat minerals, not energy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered.

Is there any chances we get a policy setting or whatever to let vassals colonize new planets? I'm playing a game where I have a bunch of vassals and I really don't feel the need or want to integrate them, but them being just stagnating states is really annoying. They have tons of uncolonized planets in their own borders, even, and they're doing nothing with them and it's really silly imo.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Alright time to try out this "devouring swarm hive mind" thing Paradox added, I bet that has a bunch of changed mechanics to make things interesting....nope still have to take Enduring to get the most out of my "influence", still get "unity" somehow. Good loving grief Paradox.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
My robits elected the prethoryn queen as leader. lol

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Enjoy posted:

Alright time to try out this "devouring swarm hive mind" thing Paradox added, I bet that has a bunch of changed mechanics to make things interesting....nope still have to take Enduring to get the most out of my "influence", still get "unity" somehow. Good loving grief Paradox.

:siren: BAD POSTER ALERT! :siren:

Truga posted:

My robits elected the prethoryn queen as leader. lol

That's democracy for you!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Silicon hearts, silicon brains. Tbf the flesh-eating crystals are much more aesthetically pleasing than the droids.

What about Titanium-Oxide and other possible crystal amalgamations? Not every intelligent crystal is silicon-based...

Strudel Man posted:

Rock people eat minerals, not energy.

Also this.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
That's what a 6.3 out of 10 from IGN gets you

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I get the point you're trying to make here, but you misspelled Klendathu so it's moot because that's more important.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I'm playing a devouring swarm hive mind for the first time bad and it's fun? What am I doing wrong?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

:siren: BAD POSTER ALERT! :siren:

I mean she does have a point... Why does a hive minded race need unity or influence? Surely the whole point of a hive mind should be that these concepts don't exist?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Nothing but unity exists.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Nothing but unity exists.

Exactly so why should they collect it?

The hive mind has an identity crisis? :confused:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Mentally rename "Unity" to "mental hold" then. It represents your ability to shape and change the hivemind as a whole. You need more as your population grows because, well, duh, the hivemind is bigger and more and more spread out, so you require more mental hold over them.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mentally rename "Unity" to "mental hold" then. It represents your ability to shape and change the hivemind as a whole. You need more as your population grows because, well, duh, the hivemind is bigger and more and more spread out, so you require more mental hold over them.
Or take it as 'influence' = attention and 'unity production' = effort on personal development.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TG-Chrono posted:

I'm playing a devouring swarm hive mind for the first time bad and it's fun? What am I doing wrong?

careful about exploring, so you don't accidentally form a megacoalition of Everyone But You

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Cease to Hope posted:

careful about exploring, so you don't accidentally form a megacoalition of Everyone But You

This is exactly what just happened...I fought a war on two fronts and was winning, then a third front opened up and ...welp...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Weavered posted:

I mean she does have a point... Why does a hive minded race need unity or influence? Surely the whole point of a hive mind should be that these concepts don't exist?

Not all hive minds are the same, some are more "lots of people working in unison under some sort of gestalt" and others are "literally one person, but with a billion zillion bodies". Renaming unity and stuff for hive minds would just be unnecessarily specific. You get people disagreeing with whatever way you go, so obviously leaving some things to the imagination is better than just forcing the dev-vision on everyone.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Weavered posted:

There is literally a tooltip in-game for Influence that explains how it works for Hive MInds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Am I correct in that there's only one shot for anomaly discovery per planet? Even if some other empire has failed using the base 15% or something?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Wiz posted:

There is literally a tooltip in-game for Influence that explains how it works for Hive MInds.

Wiz I don't know why you expect me to take the time to read and understand things; this is a game not my job. The obvious solution is just to rename 'Influence' to 'Salt' when playing a Hive Mind.

edit:

Splicer posted:

Am I correct in that there's only one shot for anomaly discovery per planet? Even if some other empire has failed using the base 15% or something?
Yes, I believe this is still correct. The only exception being for the precursor artifacts quest spawning new research projects once you've run out of things to scan.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yes, I believe this is still correct. The only exception being for the precursor artifacts quest spawning new research projects once you've run out of things to scan.
It would be nice if the failed anomaly scan planets remembered the percentage they were scanned at and could be rescanned later by a higher percentage ship HINT HINT WIZ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The dominions approach whereby anomalies are always there and just need a certain level of detection ability is my preferred approach, with both tech and scientist level being ways to increase your surveying level, as well as areas inside your influence rolling occasionally to see if they detect anomalies so that you passively uncover them in your own territory.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Talkie Toaster posted:

[hive mind] 'unity production' = effort on personal development. self esteem.

Fixed.

Every time I get a little down on myself I take a look at that cool autochthon monument and remember how swell I am! :shobon:

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 6, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

The dominions approach whereby anomalies are always there and just need a certain level of detection ability is my preferred approach, with both tech and scientist level being ways to increase your surveying level, as well as areas inside your influence rolling occasionally to see if they detect anomalies so that you passively uncover them in your own territory.

Stellaris could learn a lot of lessons from Dominions, primarily by allowing the player to do absolutely mental poo poo. I should be able to summon Peter Hamilton-esque Space Zombies and make starships from the corpses of my enemies. I should be able to play as fusion-powered robots and put out all the stars in the galaxy to doom all organics to a frozen death. I should be able to intentionally break the walls of reality in my opponents' space and have them consumed by cosmic horrors. I should be able to play pool with planets, and pot them into black holes, Lister-style.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Wiz posted:

Okay:-

It doesn't actually explain why the things happening in game are happening though.

Why does a hive mind need governors, admirals and generals, when the drones are meant to be like limbs of a greater organism? Are the governors taking away control over the drones on their planet from the hive mind? Why isn't this represented in any way? Why doesn't it affect gameplay?

Why does the hive mind need to issue "farming subsidies"? Does the greater organism use an internal market? Are there drone small business owners?

Why does "humiliating" a rival empire give you more influence over your drones? How does contacting new empires give you influence over drones?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I demand you answer why these game concepts don't logically fit for my gestalt collective of space faring snailmen!!!

You could probably mod the name and tooltip of the offending items if you particularly cared to. Farming focus or some poo poo idk who cares.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I put all this in psychological terms. Influence is self-confidence and determination. (Maybe it could be called "Determination" for hive minds?) Humiliating a rival makes the mind feel better about itself, which tbh is more or less probably why humiliating a rival gives a regular government influence (national pride -> greater ability to get things done politically), but in this case it's all about what the mind thinks it's capable of. "Farming Subsidies" could be reflavored but represents an investment of willpower in directing the drones to very specific tasks. This implies that much of the time, the drones are operating on a degree of auto-pilot. They are controlled by the mind but in the same way as, say, breathing is controlled by a person. It will happen if we don't think about it anyway, but if we do think about it, we can do specific breathing techniques, etc. This also ties into what leader drones are for: they represent something like the mind engaging in a degree of self-improvement, although it takes a form not clearly analogous to any individual's psychology.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Aethernet posted:

I should be able to play pool with planets, and pot them into black holes, Lister-style.

Sadly Star Ruler 2 didn't sell enough to keep the company afloat. :smith:

Well actually you could fling planets around, but I dont think you could toss them into black holes. Could destroy the supermassive one at the heart of a galaxy tho, that makes for a pretty impressive bang.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Thyrork posted:

Sadly Star Ruler 2 didn't sell enough to keep the company afloat. :smith:

Well actually you could fling planets around, but I dont think you could toss them into black holes. Could destroy the supermassive one at the heart of a galaxy tho, that makes for a pretty impressive bang.

They made a game with budget based financing. And fell to their own budget.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I demand you answer why these game concepts don't logically fit for my gestalt collective of space faring snailmen!!!

You could probably mod the name and tooltip of the offending items if you particularly cared to. Farming focus or some poo poo idk who cares.

The empire differentiation is completely bland and players were assuring one another over a year ago that the blandness would be resolved with the DLC, well here we are and the vaunted hive mind mechanics amount to removing pop happiness (and disabling diplomacy if you want to go hog wild).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
On the leaders, the game actually explains that as well with the concept of autonomous drones. Does it all fit perfectly immersion-wise? No. But we'd basically have to make a new game entirely for Hive Minds to be 100% immersive. We're making some improvements in regards to events and traditions in 1.8, though.

• Locked thread