Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

While I'm here, anyone play Bunker Punks? How complete is it?

drat, I've been wondering about this game too. I don't think I've seen anyone mention it around here....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

Personally though I prefer the binary up/down system, because in the end the point should be to tell people to get it or not even if you have to qualify the hell out of your position.
I dunno, I think theres a lot of times where I'm like "well I had fun with it and i personally liked some of it, but also hated some of it and only recommend it on sale or if you really like X"

I guess an example recently I struggled with was Yooka Laylee. I actually quite liked a lot of it (up until you got flight-mode and ugahs;dfsa that loving camera) but I wouldn't recommend it for more than $20 unless someone really loved Banjo games (like I did) and even then it was a little bit of an empty shell. I still ended up giving it a + but still made me wish I had something in between.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why is there no review system based on "I think the game is worth this much," it seems like a no-brainer to me

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Too Shy Guy posted:

EDIT: Huh, saw something called Hermodr in the related section. Anyone ever even heard of it? I might have a thing for retro FPSes.

I'm not one to be easily triggered but this game invoking lovely distance fog as some sort of retro effect ticks me off. It sucked back then and it looks ugly as hell here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Really Pants posted:

why is there no review system based on "I think the game is worth this much," it seems like a no-brainer to me

Because "this game is worth this much" is basically "$10 or I won't buy your game" on Steam. The Steam forums are like 50% "Why is this game priced competitively"/"I think this game is worth (I don't understand money)" by weight.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 8, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

oh right

well that was dumb of me

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I got gifted OneShot. Currently stuck like a retard right at the start. Is this game good at all?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yodzilla posted:

Shame it still doesn't solve the problem of having to go through the Deep Nest multiple times. gently caress that entire lower area in Hollow Knight.

They added a stag station to the Ancient Basin which makes getting to that area a LOT better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I got gifted OneShot. Currently stuck like a retard right at the start. Is this game good at all?

Yes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Fuligin posted:

I 100%ed Hollow Knight and now I'm craving more ~metroidvania good stuff~

I've got Environmental Station Alpha but I'm pretty turned off by the lo-fi graphics and controls, they give me a headache. Ori is intriguing, but I've heard it's more of a metroidvania in name only and is pretty linear? Help me steam thread?

i'm now in the final area, and i'm super digging Headlander as a v good metroidvania though you don't really have to deal with combat all that much if you don't want to. It's looking to wrap up right around 8 hours, all of it good stuff and not "oh great i'm lost and don't know where to go now". it keeps you driving through the game at a quick clip and has is very polished with a 70s space aesthetic that works

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

duckfarts posted:

i'm now in the final area, and i'm super digging Headlander as a v good metroidvania though you don't really have to deal with combat all that much if you don't want to. It's looking to wrap up right around 8 hours, all of it good stuff and not "oh great i'm lost and don't know where to go now". it keeps you driving through the game at a quick clip and has is very polished with a 70s space aesthetic that works

I've heard that game is bad because Double Fine, but now I might have to buy it when its on sale.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I 100%ed Hollow Knight and now I'm craving more ~metroidvania good stuff~

I've got Environmental Station Alpha but I'm pretty turned off by the lo-fi graphics and controls, they give me a headache. Ori is intriguing, but I've heard it's more of a metroidvania in name only and is pretty linear? Help me steam thread?

Look at guacamelee and salt & sanctuary, in that order (I like S&S but it is harder to recommend due to its art)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Which is the game where you're a space whaler on a space jetski harpooning monsters and tearing them to bits?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

duckfarts posted:

Thanks for reminding me, I actually meant to check this out. It sounds like an excellent short-form palette cleanser after Hollow Knight's enormous three course dinner.

Digirat posted:

Look at guacamelee and salt & sanctuary, in that order (I like S&S but it is harder to recommend due to its art)

Funnily enough, I've actually had the opposite reaction. I played Salt and Sanctuary when it first came out and enjoyed it quite a bit, the graphics take a bit getting used to but grew on me over time. Guacamelee, on the other hand, I've totally avoided just because the art style looks eye-gougingly hideous to me for some reason.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is the mental health adviser for me after playing the game?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Synthbuttrange posted:

Which is the game where you're a space whaler on a space jetski harpooning monsters and tearing them to bits?

Blacksea Odyssey is what you're thinking of I believe.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Too Shy Guy posted:

the Weeklong Deals look pretty awful from here

there are slim pickings this week. these are the games that fell out of my spreadsheet when i shook it:

Realms of the Haunting - $0.99 (-90%) - proper old-school FPS gothic-horror game. I still have the original 4-CD set of this
Shattered Planet - $1.49 (-90%) - isometric roguelike featuring short runs and progression
Spice Road - $4.99 (-75%) - city-builder and trading sim

also:

Kingdoms of Amalamadingdong: Reckoning™ - $4.99 (-75%)
Dungeonmans - $9.89 (-34%)
Darkness Within 1: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder - $1.59 (-80%) - didn't this survive one of the horrorween review months?
Black Closet - $7.99 (-60%)
Slime Rancher - $13.39 (-33%)

Sivek posted:

Also someone tell me the best dungeon-crawlers on steam that have turn-based combat and aren't 15+ years old. I can't wrap my head around real-time combat in these types of games so no Grimrock or the like. I'm already well aware Grimoire is a thing that exists.

Have you looked at Heroes of a Broken Land?

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 8, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Blacksea Odyssey is what you're thinking of I believe.

heck yea it is!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/369550/Blacksea_Odyssey/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got this game for free on xbox but that thread is mostly just playstation people making GBS threads on the xbox. Anyway, I got slime rancher. What I'm wondering is, is there a point in playing it? Does anything happen? Is there a story? It seems to just dump me into a quick tutorial and then the full game. I go through the gameplay loop, I collect some slimes, feed them, collect their plorts, sell those, use the money to buy new corrals to collect new slimes. Is that the whole game? It had been on my steam wishlist for a while and I was glad to see I could get it for free but now i'm kind of glad I never actually bought it. If the gameplay never expands, and there's no story or goal, I don't really see the point of playing it anymore.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

How far from the end of AC4 am I if I've just completed the drunk sequence? I thought I was at the end of the game and... then that happened. Stopped playing for two weeks and when I went back to it the next mission is a boring tailing one and I quickly stopped playing again. Am I close enough to the end to just get there quickly?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

From the stories I've read about game development, more studios should have these.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

This game has a terrible main story, and too many fetch quests BUT surprisingly fun combat that feels like a proper third person action game, fairly decent skill trees and some pretty cool lore in the side quests (the games version of elves are actually really interesting). I also like that fact that going mage means fighting with magical chakrams or basically fantasy guns instead of standing still and throwing spells.

If you get it though, don't use your special attack that grants more experience and only do side quests that sound interesting, otherwise you'll end up overlevelled and the most fun part - the combat - will become too easy.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah Hellblade is an interesting game so far. I guess the mental health adviser was to make the (what seems like) Schizophrenia of the character you play feel 'real'. You sure do have a bunch of voices in your head constantly narrating what you are doing and most of the puzzles so far involve somewhat controlling hallucinations to open/close paths.

WMain00 posted:

Is the mental health adviser for me after playing the game?
Maybe! It seems like you have a limited number of deaths to finish the game and if you run out you have to start back from the beginning. You don't know how many times you can die because your remaining lives are approximately displayed by a corruption that grows up your arm when you die but also when you kill a boss...

So there seems to be a system for inducing angst and making you rage quit the game.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 8, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

kater posted:

How far from the end of AC4 am I if I've just completed the drunk sequence? I thought I was at the end of the game and... then that happened. Stopped playing for two weeks and when I went back to it the next mission is a boring tailing one and I quickly stopped playing again. Am I close enough to the end to just get there quickly?
Be more specific?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to create a steam guide for another random old game, and it keeps failing to upload. Refreshing just fails the creation again, going back and trying to resubmit gives me a "That item does not exist. It may have been removed by the author." message.

The only threads I found that even mention failing to submit content refer to Shadowrun UGC and very large files.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Qmass posted:

Maybe! It seems like you have a limited number of deaths to finish the game and if you run out you have to start back from the beginning. You don't know how many times you can die because your remaining lives are approximately displayed by a corruption that grows up your arm when you die but also when you kill a boss...

So there seems to be a system for inducing angst and making you rage quit the game.

This and the fact that the end of the game apparently has run-killing glitches has made me wait and see if they fix those glitches and remove or alleviate that death count mechanism because holy poo poo, stealth pseudo-ironman is not my cup of tea at all.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

You really, really, really want a controller for this one, the dodge roll and slide are very important and you can cancel both into midair jumps that can let you reach seemingly inaccessible areas. I wouldn't say it's impossible to avoid getting hit by some stuff but some of the room-enemy arrangements make it real hard not to take damage. Fortunately your health regenerates and you can consume your upgrades for health before they expire.

You absolutely can sit around and farm points, in fact in the room you go to when you quit you can make time run faster to passively accumulate more points. The thing is, you're not going to get nearly as many points passively as you are from chaining combos together, which can get you in excess of 10k a pop once you get around 20-30x. And since your upgrades expire over time, it's more important to be gathering points and upgrades quickly than to build huge reserves.

I'm enjoying figuring the whole thing out and the combat is pretty fun, but from what I can tell you're basically doing dry runs until you assemble the upgrades and weapons you need for a perfect full run and that's not super compelling to me. Since you lose everything except the stuff you've banked at the graveyard when you die, you have to be 100% sure you're going to kill a boss when you face them or you stand to lose a ton of progress.

I've gotten quite a ways into the game, so here's some general observations about the mechanics. Spoilered because you might want to discover things for yourself:

Combos:

The combo system is more intricate than it might appear. You can combo things as long as you don't exit the castle or the timer doesn't run out. This means that you can chain bosses!

A combo score is calculated based on the number of kills and the amount of points. Each kill adds to the multiplier, while different enemies give different amounts of points. Pro-tip: the first boss can really pump up that multiplier because the little mosquitoes count towards it!

Also, I've noticed that if you get a higher-level weapon, it'll cause higher-level monsters to spawn (different colours). These monsters are somewhat tougher to deal with, but they also give more points on kill. You can still easily deal with them with your starter pistol as long as they don't bumrush you. There are monsters on level 4 that will end you pretty quickly if you're not careful.

But the most important element that really makes the mechanics shine is the fact that your combo timer refreshes whenever you hit an enemy. Once you realize this, every run becomes more about taking the most efficient to maximize your combo. For example, you might want to hit an enemy to refresh your timer, but not kill them, so you can refresh it again on the way back. Or you might want to mostly skip a room because of the layout - sure, there might be more enemies over there, but you won't be able to move to the next room before the combo timer runs out.

Sliding and dodge-rolling are key. Sliding lets you shoot upwards which is a critical skill to master so that you can keep the combo going. Dodge-rolling helps you reposition yourself and avoid enemies (mid-air dodge is super useful, learn it). You can also alternate between sliding and dodging to move much faster - which is especially useful for grabbing that treasure chest along the way (I'm talking here about the special treasure rooms).

You can easily chain the first three bosses because their patterns are super easy albeit tricky if you're careless.

In-game hub:

The first thing you'll probably get are the idle farmers. They can be found randomly in the castle, and they all have levels. Level 1 generates 1 point, Level 2 - 2 points, etc. Over time this will start generating a lot of points, so you can eventually just idle for a bunch of points to help buy some basic stuff.

There are special creatures to be found in each level. The first one has Death who sells you some basic stuff. The second one has the Graveyard Keeper who will start digging up coffins full of items as long as you pay an increasingly higher price for each dig (this takes some time). The third one has the Sloth - I mean, it looks like a fat man with you back turned to you - who you can pay for a chance to get an item (these items can be max level, so it's definitely worth getting a run starter here). The fourth one has the Jester who will let you start a run a bit further in, but you need to pay him a whooping million points.

You can also create minions in the mausoleum. You need several skeleton pieces, a head and a weapon. You can then send these minions into the castle and they might fetch you some items after some time passes. If you get a lot of skeleton pieces, stash them in the coffins inside the masoleum and get these guys some good equipment.

The big weapon display lets you buy weapons and heads, so you don't need to fish for them inside the castle. It's a good idea to dump points into this even if you don't need anything right now.

Metagame hub:

I'm stuck on level 4, and the only change so far has been that the dude keeps getting more orange. I think the boss numbers have something to do with the combination lock.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

il_cornuto posted:

If you get it though, don't use your special attack that grants more experience and only do side quests that sound interesting, otherwise you'll end up overlevelled and the most fun part - the combat - will become too easy.

i love being overleveled and actually have this game already, did they ever make a mod that removes the level cap so i can just get every mastery

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I wish there was a "wishy-washy hand" symbol for steam reviews, because I really like Oddworld New N Tasty, but I have died/ragequit far more times from the spotty controls than any actual difficult section. It's seriously frustrating how much momentum does/doesn't play in to certain actions over others.

Put the game on the old style controls where abe moves on like a grid. All the puzzles are location specific

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was kind of in love with Hollow Knight up until the point where I got to the White Palace. I could deal with the challenging combat and the back tracking, but I cannot be hosed with long-winded platforming sections like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've played xX~HellBladEZzZ~Xx for about an hour, here are my initial thoughts:

- Atmosphere is very cool. I'm digging the story so far.
- Play this game with the best pair of surround headphones you have.
- You apparently have a limited number of lives, but the combat is so easy it's almost perfunctory. This is a puzzle + walking simulator through and through.
- You need a pretty beastly system to max this one out. 980ti with an i5-4760 and I'm hitting 45-55fps in most areas on Very High with some hitching.

Overall it's a very weird game. I don't know if it'll end up being one of my favorites but I'm glad it exists.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

A fun action platformer, but not a Metroidvania. :colbert:

Metroid Fusion is a Metroidvania, but a terrible one. Double :colbert:

That's the one with distinct levels off a central hub, yeah? Good game, bad vantroid.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Be more specific?

Really?

There was a huge rear end mission where you finally get to the observatory and then Captain Bob betrays you and you get jailed and escape and the cool chick dies and you have this ridiculous drunken escapade and then get your ship back. I think I did one mission after that where you become a real assassin finally and get the new chief officer?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

kater posted:

Really?

There was a huge rear end mission where you finally get to the observatory and then Captain Bob betrays you and you get jailed and escape and the cool chick dies and you have this ridiculous drunken escapade and then get your ship back. I think I did one mission after that where you become a real assassin finally and get the new chief officer?

You have 7 more missions to go.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

kater posted:

Really?

Just did this last week myself - you have one or two more templars to kill plus the guy that betrayed you, then you go back to mcguffin palace to face off with the last guy.

Then, the final real world sequence, after which a return to the animus gives you the ending. Depending on how much travel time or real world hacking you do, you could be as close as an hour to the end credits. I know I started to rush and fast travel at that point myself, because I started playing DOOM and knew that if I didn't finish now, I would never come back.

Final rankings for Black Flag:
Open world pirate simulator - Incredible
Real world nonsense - not bad and actually kind of funny?
Main plotline and following missions - uuuguhuguugu

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
I've been playing Axes and Acres and it is a good single-player strategy board-game by the same people that made the chesslike puzzle game Militia

It is also on sale this week for 5 bux

----

I bounced hard off of Dungeon Manager ZV 2 so i refunded it

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Blattdorf posted:

I've gotten quite a ways into the game, so here's some general observations about the mechanics. Spoilered because you might want to discover things for yourself:

This is real helpful, especially the combo details. The boss stuff never occurred to me, so I guess it would pay to get good at killing them.

As far as heads go, have you found any more useful than the turret head? It does so much damage and it can hit things you can't.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I read that as "Evil Gnome" and now I'm somewhat disappointed. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Keltair posted:

Just did this last week myself - you have one or two more templars to kill plus the guy that betrayed you, then you go back to mcguffin palace to face off with the last guy.

Then, the final real world sequence, after which a return to the animus gives you the ending. Depending on how much travel time or real world hacking you do, you could be as close as an hour to the end credits. I know I started to rush and fast travel at that point myself, because I started playing DOOM and knew that if I didn't finish now, I would never come back.

Final rankings for Black Flag:
Open world pirate simulator - Incredible
Real world nonsense - not bad and actually kind of funny?
Main plotline and following missions - uuuguhuguugu

I say this every time it comes up but Assassin's Creed: Black Flag's plot is hilarious because it's a tragedy about a man trying desperately to escape from the plot of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and ultimately failing.