Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm thinking this is an entry in the Munchers series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RtRykIE_1A

Nah, it's not a munchers game unless there's one that looks radically different than the others.

If I had to explain the game any further, think more like the interface for Shadowgate, except flip the "Goods" window with the game screen and then the goods window is a picture (that might have just been there for the hell of it?) and then the game screen is a map of squares with a top down view of a house plan that you're clicking through. Don't remember what was at the bottom of the screen.

This, however, looks spot on even if I don't remember the racing stuff so it looks like this had nothing to do with the other game, but thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Phantasium posted:

Major Havoc?

Here's a fun fact about Major Havoc: according to the game's attract screen that tells the backstory, your extra lives are a "litter of clones." So if you plant the bomb and don't make it out, it ends up counting as a win and just removing that clone.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Okay I've tried for the last week to remember a PS1 game that i borrowed from a classmate back in 98 or 99. All I can remember is that the game started with a CGI video showing the player character riding on a blimp or airship of some sort. Then you crash into this really big tower, and the game starts. The whole idea is to get to the bottom level of this tower and presumably escape. It was third person, and the gameplay was focused mostly on jumping and avoiding various crazy hazards like giant spinning blades etc. I guess there was some sort of combat but I cant remember. Any ideas?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

GyverMac posted:

Okay I've tried for the last week to remember a PS1 game that i borrowed from a classmate back in 98 or 99. All I can remember is that the game started with a CGI video showing the player character riding on a blimp or airship of some sort. Then you crash into this really big tower, and the game starts. The whole idea is to get to the bottom level of this tower and presumably escape. It was third person, and the gameplay was focused mostly on jumping and avoiding various crazy hazards like giant spinning blades etc. I guess there was some sort of combat but I cant remember. Any ideas?

ODT?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Okay, so I'm trying to remember an old PC game I never actually played even though I owned it because I couldn't get it to run on my computer when I was a young kid. The box art was very orange and yellow overall and the main image was like four or five space mercenary-looking characters who were animals all standing next to each other. I believe one of the characters was a hawk or eagle of some sort. The only other thing I remember about it was it came on five 3.5" floppy disks and I bought it in the clearance section of Media Play in the early to mid 90s. It's a long shot but maybe someone knows what it is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FrumpleOrz posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to remember an old PC game I never actually played even though I owned it because I couldn't get it to run on my computer when I was a young kid. The box art was very orange and yellow overall and the main image was like four or five space mercenary-looking characters who were animals all standing next to each other. I believe one of the characters was a hawk or eagle of some sort. The only other thing I remember about it was it came on five 3.5" floppy disks and I bought it in the clearance section of Media Play in the early to mid 90s. It's a long shot but maybe someone knows what it is.

That sounds exactly like the box art to Alien Solider, but that was a Genesis game and also never released in the US

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

It's not quite like that box art. The characters are all standing in line next to each other with their bodies facing towards the camera and I think they were standing on dirt that gave it kind of an apocalypse vibe maybe? It was drawn in a style that was reminiscent of American comic books of the time too. I think either the border of the front of the box or the sides of the box had yellow and black stripes that gave it a "caution" impression too.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FrumpleOrz posted:

It's not quite like that box art. The characters are all standing in line next to each other with their bodies facing towards the camera and I think they were standing on dirt that gave it kind of an apocalypse vibe maybe? It was drawn in a style that was reminiscent of American comic books of the time too. I think either the border of the front of the box or the sides of the box had yellow and black stripes that gave it a "caution" impression too.
Just in case you're mixing up games:

FrumpleOrz posted:

I just figured it out. It was called Strike Squad. Maybe I can dig up a copy now.

Man I love old box art.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 27, 2017

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

I just figured it out. It was called Strike Squad. Maybe I can dig up a copy now.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes! Thats the one. Thank you! :)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Okay, so I think I solved the mystery of what game I was looking for, and no surprise that I'm wrong on some aspects.

Found a picture from a game called Number Maze and remembered playing that as a kid on the same computers, and then found out the company Great Wave Software made the game which lead me to this wikipedia page naming all their other games.

Looking up the name Reading Maze, I think that was the game. From this page just searching the name on Google, I found this description:

termite on that page posted:

In higher levels, there was an elf who would teleport the player to another room, and the player knew where the elf was because on the maze map, a room would flash to let the player know where the elf was. What was the purpose of having an elf who transports the player to another room if the elf and the player are in the same room? And why did the elf have a pencil in his hand?

Which gels with my memories of something chasing you, and via looking at the publisher's site on the web archive, found this picture:

Which matches my hazy memories (though they're kinda the opposite of what I was previously explaining).

The only other picture I can find is on this page by looking at the back of the damned software package, and I didn't see it on Youtube at all, but I guess Reading Maze is pretty generic.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Halloween-themed "game" (I would more call it a piece of interactive software).

It was on the Macintosh Classic, you had a single screen with a door and a bowl of candy on a table. Sometimes there would be a knock, and children would be on the other side, demanding candy. You could give in to their demands, but that would lower your candy bowl, which replenished slowly. Alternatively, you could slam the door on them. Slam it too often, and a witch would come knocking instead, giving you a game over.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

THE BAR posted:

A Halloween-themed "game" (I would more call it a piece of interactive software).

It was on the Macintosh Classic, you had a single screen with a door and a bowl of candy on a table. Sometimes there would be a knock, and children would be on the other side, demanding candy. You could give in to their demands, but that would lower your candy bowl, which replenished slowly. Alternatively, you could slam the door on them. Slam it too often, and a witch would come knocking instead, giving you a game over.

This sounds like every nightmare I've ever had

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

THE BAR posted:

Halloween Night or its sequel

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Most definitely the first, thanks a million!

Another memory of a game, gone completely rotten and wrong in my addled brain.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I saw this ad online in some thread and it stuck with me, what's the game?

There are six panels, and in each one this kid is stuck because the game is incredibly difficult. He misses his high school graduation because he's stuck on the third level. By the end, he's old and withered and only hanging on because he has to beat the final boss. It's a cartoony ad, he has a joystick.

Any ideas?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mimir posted:

There are six panels, and in each one this kid is stuck because the game is incredibly difficult. He misses his high school graduation because he's stuck on the third level. By the end, he's old and withered and only hanging on because he has to beat the final boss. It's a cartoony ad, he has a joystick.

Any ideas?

Can you remember anything about the game or the ad? What the controller looked like, era it might have been, anything? Google isn't pulling up anything remotely close. I sooner found old ads for Swedish Erotica games for the Atari (and left handed controller adapters!) than the ad you were talking about.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mimir posted:

Any ideas?

I specifically remember this ad from reading Gamepro as a kid, it was Equinox for SNES

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Old, very primitive maze game for PC. Involved traps, including cupid statues that would shoot you unless you put a blindfold on them, and "picnic pits" - picnic blankets covering holes. Called something generic, I think. I couldn't beat level 2 as a child, now I want to come back and take revenge.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kicking myself for not wishlisting this game as it was on sale last week. Recent, probably this year. Takes place in some kind of fancy hotel and someone is murdering the guests. You're moving guests around to witness the murders and I guess turn back time to stop them. Has a flashy, colorful style with isometric backgrounds and chibi 3D models.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The Sexy Brutale?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tenik posted:

The Sexy Brutale?

And wishlisted.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to remember the names of a couple macintosh shareware space games from I think around the time of Escape Velocity. They were both top down 2d style games like EV if I'm remembering correctly.

One started with an A and had you in control of a fleet of ships over some kind of campaign, Achilles or something like that. I remember the main screen had a spaceship that was red. I remember the game being really red. Maybe blue and red were the colors of the fleets you controlled and fought?

The other one had you in charge of a ship and the main gimmick was your crew. It was very star trekky and I remember the crew mates you could get had their own stats and personality and such. Help!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm trying to remember the names of a couple macintosh shareware space games from I think around the time of Escape Velocity. They were both top down 2d style games like EV if I'm remembering correctly.

One started with an A and had you in control of a fleet of ships over some kind of campaign, Achilles or something like that. I remember the main screen had a spaceship that was red. I remember the game being really red. Maybe blue and red were the colors of the fleets you controlled and fought?

The other one had you in charge of a ship and the main gimmick was your crew. It was very star trekky and I remember the crew mates you could get had their own stats and personality and such. Help!

For the first one, Ares?

For the second, I think I remember what you're talking about. You had four crew, they had ratings in various different skills (like repair or scanning or whatever), as well as a rank which determined how many skills they were good at. And you could get Captain Calvin, who was literally Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes (all the crew had portraits and his was completely thematically out-of-place) and had amazing stats. I'm pretty sure you flew that pocket warship from Deep Space Nine.

Sadly, I can't remember what it was called.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For the first one, Ares?

For the second, I think I remember what you're talking about. You had four crew, they had ratings in various different skills (like repair or scanning or whatever), as well as a rank which determined how many skills they were good at. And you could get Captain Calvin, who was literally Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes (all the crew had portraits and his was completely thematically out-of-place) and had amazing stats. I'm pretty sure you flew that pocket warship from Deep Space Nine.

Sadly, I can't remember what it was called.

Yup Ares thats it. And your description of the second one sounds exactly like what I'm thinking of.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Yup Ares thats it. And your description of the second one sounds exactly like what I'm thinking of.

It's called Missions of the Reliant

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Strange I remembered the portraits being in the top left, but that looks like it might be it, thanks!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Ok this one is a long shot, but here goes-

It was a mission based 2D space shooter- I remember it being a free download for PC I suppose between the year 2000-2005. The graphics were fairly simple- you would begin every mission by launching from your carrier(which was only a little bigger than your ship) and you would follow a set waypoint path until you encountered enemies and end back at the carrier. I want to say it had the word ""Hammer" in the name, You would get a battlestar galactica type briefing between missions on whatever space war it was.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Just Offscreen posted:

Ok this one is a long shot, but here goes-

It was a mission based 2D space shooter- I remember it being a free download for PC I suppose between the year 2000-2005. The graphics were fairly simple- you would begin every mission by launching from your carrier(which was only a little bigger than your ship) and you would follow a set waypoint path until you encountered enemies and end back at the carrier. I want to say it had the word ""Hammer" in the name, You would get a battlestar galactica type briefing between missions on whatever space war it was.
Way older than that, but the game that plays just like you said is a DOS game named Operation: Star Hammer. Google seems to imply the existence of an Xbox 360 game with the same name that's a little similar to it as well.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ok game detective thread:

i once played a game that featured sliding puzzles and new age themes. I played it around the mid-late 90's, i'm pretty sure it was for DOS, and there is a strong likelihood that it was developed in Australia, as it was bought when I visited Scienceworks in Melbourne.

can you help me?

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool
Seems a bit unlikely, but Heaven & Earth? It's dos, a bit new agey, and at least one of the puzzle types have sliding tiles

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Hi thread.

I once downloaded this fan-made game. As far as I know it was only available as a free download. It was a 2d side-scrolling, platforming, arcade brawler sorta thing where you went room-to-room fighting enemies. The characters were clearly based off of Link to the Past. You played as a character that looked like pink-haired Link and everything. You had sword and shield, and could use powerups like bombs and boomerangs. It was pretty fast-paced and stylish.

It used Zelda character likeness so blatantly I wonder if it was DMCAed out of existence, but I hope not.

The art style reminded me of this pixel art, but it wasn't quite the same:

If any of you have any idea what I'm talking about, that'd be cool. Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Legend of Princess

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

wb posted:

Seems a bit unlikely, but Heaven & Earth? It's dos, a bit new agey, and at least one of the puzzle types have sliding tiles

no it's not that one. the puzzles were picture based rather than coloured tiles

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Legend of Princess

Holy crap, thank you!

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys, I played a demo of a game that was on a demo disc in the mid-90s sometime.

It was an 3d adventure game and you were a guy and there was a big button that changed his mood from angry to nice, this affected the way you spoke to people.
He was a warrior type guy I think and it was in some sort of medieval setting.

I thought the game was called Dark-something but it's not Dark lands of Dark sun.

Edit: Nevermind, it was Dark Earth

Mantari fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 16, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Vaguely remember a game on NES from when I was a kid that I think was a top down sci-fi shooter similar to the top down Contra 3 levels where you had to find/kill X number of things within the level then fight a boss in some black void afterwards for each level. Cannot remotely remember the name of the game or if my memory is just mashing a couple other games together.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Blaster Master has those sort of bosses. Ikari Warriors 2 was the first thing I thought of, though.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Figured it out I think. Alien Syndrome's NES version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
bit of a tangential one, but this one is more about a logo. someone i know reckons that this face is the logo from an old games developer or publisher, but cant at all recall it. it's really bugging me too now so i figured i'd post it in here, it might not even be but it definitely looks super familiar

e: it might not look exaaaaactly like that