Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IronicDongz posted:

Am I alone in thinking the original Cave Story graphics are a lot more charming than the redone ones

same with the music and the translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
New Batman Telltale and oh boy, are they falling head first into some bad ideas. Namely a lot of character death. I wonder if they plan on not going farther than Enemy Within.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

First Ep owned imo. Then again I loved the first Batman they did and pretty much all the rest of their games so I'm a weirdo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

magimix posted:

Very much this. There is SO MUCH LORE in the game, it is kind of mind boggling. When I played the game, I initially consumed all the lore, but it quickly became overwhelming. And the sheer amount of incidental content is such that it'd *entirely* derail the game if you let it. But as a casual action-RPG romp with fantastical trappings, I found it quite enjoyable. Edit: When you consider the development and studio history behind the game, 'single player MMO' is a fairly able description (albeit with better action).

GreenNight posted:

I second this. The gameplay is fun. The story....doesn't matter.

Just do the quests that seem interesting. You can skip the collecting 10 bear asses if you choose.

I fuckin' e-despise Kingdoms of Amalur. There's so much lore but it's all pretty mediocre and cliched at best. Modern Salvatore is not interesting at all if you've even been lightly brushed by exposure to old/new D&D/Dragonlance novels (maybe even substandard litRPG or anime poo poo, too). There are the occasional (.5%) neato little bits, but holy gently caress it's so not worth it. It's literally an old school MMO-as-single-player so if you stomach your way through MMOs on the regular, then this is literally just more of the same, but blah.

Combat is good only in the sense of being compared with another MMO, or Skyrim, but as a 3rd person action game it's really unexceptional and nothing challenging or interesting. I'd place it on the bad side of average, but not bad.

Just play Witcher 3. Or Fable 1, or even Darksiders (2 lol). I'd also suggest Divinity 2 (similarish combat but less lovely MMO-isms).
For something with less "story" give Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen a try. I found every aspect of that game way better, or simply just more entertaining.

If you want a good non 3rd person action rpg I'd roll with The Last Remnant. Get a guide, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 9, 2017

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Oh nice.
If you owned Sine Mora, you get a free upgrade to Sine Mora Ex.

Not going to complain about that. I liked Sine Mora a whole lot to begin with.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/606730/Sine_Mora_EX/

And if you did not have it before, it is sold at a nice price.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sivek posted:

Also someone tell me the best dungeon-crawlers on steam that have turn-based combat and aren't 15+ years old. I can't wrap my head around real-time combat in these types of games so no Grimrock or the like. I'm already well aware Grimoire is a thing that exists.

StarCrawlers.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Sivek posted:

Also someone tell me the best dungeon-crawlers on steam that have turn-based combat and aren't 15+ years old. I can't wrap my head around real-time combat in these types of games so no Grimrock or the like. I'm already well aware Grimoire is a thing that exists.

Elminage is fun.

Also, StarCrawlers and Heroes of a Broken Land.
Also, Stranger of Sword City and Might & Magic X.

Whatever you do, stay away from legend of Candewind, it is ridiculously bad.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/326650/The_Legend_of_Candlewind_Nights__Candles/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sivek posted:

Holy poo poo it's finally out. :psypop:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Luisfe posted:

Elminage is fun.

elminage was ok, starting out. but then i got down to the second floor of the first dungeon and the enemies suddenly ramped up in strength and started having immunity to sleep and paralysis. the power curve clearly expected me to gain some levels, but they didn't give substantially more exp compared to the first floor.

stranger of sword city is tamer, but the stat curve comes in with a vengeance shortly after the first "act." you can put up all the buffs you want, but honestly you just need a lot more hp 'cause your frontliners are getting one-shot and you're like well, poo poo. to get that hp, you gotta gain levels, but these new, strong monsters maybe give 10% more exp than weaklings in earlier zones, but your tnl is so high that it'd take like an hour to gain just the one level, and you'll probably need 3-4 to keep up with the new monsters' increased damage.

apparently a lot of this exp curve was addressed in the vita update last year, but said update never came to steam.

also it has a fairly extensive dungeon where enemies are kind of resistant to physical damage and it's underwater so everyone is silenced and you have to use damage items. for the entire area :smithicide:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

The White Dragon posted:

apparently a lot of this exp curve was addressed in the vita update last year, but said update never came to steam.

Yeah I am waiting for that to get a discount (OR GET PORTED TO PC) becauseeven if I did enjoy the base game, the fixes sound really good, such as REMOVING CLASS CHANGE LIMITS.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Too Shy Guy posted:

I think Zetsubo-san's recommendations were pulling from last week's list... I know I featured Shattered Planet last week but that deal ended Monday morning.

steamdb still had some of last weeks deals up when I did my check. sorry for the bad info, goons.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Got an e-mail from Gearbox about their latest idiotic venture.

"Project 1v1 is the code name for a top-secret, in-development, competitive first person shooter—and we want you to have a chance to be one of the first people to try it out! Project 1v1 combines the action of fast-paced 1v1 first person combat with the metagame strategy of a collectible card game."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shima Honnou posted:

"Project 1v1 is the code name for a top-secret, in-development, competitive first person shooter—and we want you to have a chance to be one of the first people to try it out! Project 1v1 combines the action of fast-paced 1v1 first person combat with the metagame strategy of a collectible card game."
randy_pitchfuck_epic_battleborn.tweet

also lmao 1v1 for combat is the most boring poo poo. The only time it's even close to interesting is watching the absolute best players duke it out on painkiller/ut or something

That's going to flop hard as gently caress

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shima Honnou posted:

Just got this too. I see they're going with the rest of the buzzwords that wouldn't fit with Battleborn. Also, ugh, 1v1

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I'm not against the premise. I love cards and shooting. What can go wrong? You won't even need a high population for the game to function.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Gearbox should stop making games and continue buying old licenses and jacking up the price 2x after changing 1 thing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I agree with the first quarter of that sentence

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Does the new Batman ep run better than the last season? I enjoyed season 1, but having to change my desktop resolution to load it was mega dumb.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shima Honnou posted:

God drat I hope they just go bankrupt and sell their Borderlands license to telltale.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Lions Song is out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drifter posted:

I fuckin' e-despise Kingdoms of Amalur. There's so much lore but it's all pretty mediocre and cliched at best. Modern Salvatore is not interesting at all if you've even been lightly brushed by exposure to old/new D&D/Dragonlance novels (maybe even substandard litRPG or anime poo poo, too). There are the occasional (.5%) neato little bits, but holy gently caress it's so not worth it. It's literally an old school MMO-as-single-player so if you stomach your way through MMOs on the regular, then this is literally just more of the same, but blah.

Combat is good only in the sense of being compared with another MMO, or Skyrim, but as a 3rd person action game it's really unexceptional and nothing challenging or interesting. I'd place it on the bad side of average, but not bad.

Just play Witcher 3. Or Fable 1, or even Darksiders (2 lol). I'd also suggest Divinity 2 (similarish combat but less lovely MMO-isms).
For something with less "story" give Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen a try. I found every aspect of that game way better, or simply just more entertaining.

If you want a good non 3rd person action rpg I'd roll with The Last Remnant. Get a guide, though.

In what universe is last remnant an action rpg

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
he meant to type action rng

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

I'm not against the premise. I love cards and shooting. What can go wrong? You won't even need a high population for the game to function.
It's funny because it's not even an original premise besides the 1v1 thing. Paladins and DIgital Extreme's new game both have CCG/deckbuilding elements and shooter elements (although paladins is more moba-ish)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Gearbox has seen the future and correctly predicted that deckbuilding games are the hot new sector of the market they will get viciously owned in.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

man nurse posted:

First Ep owned imo. Then again I loved the first Batman they did and pretty much all the rest of their games so I'm a weirdo.

I liked all of the Telltale stuff until I realized GoT was headed for a big ol' lame cliffhanger.

I really just want them to make an original game or do literally anything to advance their game engine at this point. Even though the games have been mostly good, Telltale's trajectory since Walking Dead S1 has been so disappointing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

corn in the bible posted:

In what universe is last remnant an action rpg

I said it was a non 3rd person action rpg.
Not a non-3rd person action rpg.
:colbert:

It's a good regular rpg. A JA(merican)RPG

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Randallteal posted:

I liked all of the Telltale stuff until I realized GoT was headed for a big ol' lame cliffhanger.

I really just want them to make an original game or do literally anything to advance their game engine at this point. Even though the games have been mostly good, Telltale's trajectory since Walking Dead S1 has been so disappointing.

I wish I knew how Telltale worked, because their output is baffling. Walking Dead S1 was good and a success, which made them jump to this interactive novel style. Since then, the only thing they made that stood out was Tales From The Borderlands(which is spectacular); everything else ranges from "Eh" to "Never Play It".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Because most of their writing staff jumped ship after WD S1

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
So Day9 casually announced a new Valve game during the TI livestream, an hour or so back.
Get ready for a Dota2 themed cardgame and billions in additional profits :toot:
Name is Artifact and it involves triangles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Will the person who won all those games in the Trump toxx play through all of them before we're all killed by nukes?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Synthbuttrange posted:

Because most of their writing staff jumped ship after WD S1

Yep, go look at the roster of the higher up people involved in WD S1 (and i think even Wolf Among us Ep1 vs 5). It's fun looking up on Linkedin seeing if they're still with Telltale and seeing gone, gone, gone gone, still there but useles role, gone, gone, gone, gone

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

sauer kraut posted:

So Day9 casually announced a new Valve game during the TI livestream, an hour or so back.
Get ready for a Dota2 themed cardgame and billions in additional profits :toot:
Name is Artifact and it involves triangles.

....Who asked for this?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

....Who asked for this?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

....Who asked for this?

Every publisher on Earth the moment Hearthstone started raking in money.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

....Who asked for this?

The invisible hand of the free market.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Synthbuttrange posted:

Will the person who won all those games in the Trump toxx play through all of them before we're all killed by nukes?
Maybe you should leave Guam.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Samuringa posted:

I wish I knew how Telltale worked, because their output is baffling. Walking Dead S1 was good and a success, which made them jump to this interactive novel style. Since then, the only thing they made that stood out was Tales From The Borderlands(which is spectacular); everything else ranges from "Eh" to "Never Play It".

Wolves Among Us was pretty good.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

....Who asked for this?
Me.
Well not really, but being a Dota retiree that doesn't have time for long matches anymore I assume I'm the target audience.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hellblade looks neat and unbelievably pretty. Can I run it with an AMD Radeon 7700 card? The minimum requirements are "Graphics: GTX 770 with 2GB VRAM / Radeon R9 280X 3GB" and I don't know whether mine is better than that.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can't answer your question, but Hellblade is like a good version of RYSE.

Put it on easy and breeze through the combat, because it's pretty lame. It's a nice production, though. Really pretty and neat effects.

I found the maze-y backtracking cool for one instance, but it got annoying/boring.