Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:eyepop:

:holymoley:

I think I got the optical version of that or something when I bought my sonos playbar new, have to look. Didn't care to have it but dude insisted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I sometimes get paranoid that I will accidentally purchase one of those insanely priced items because of some 1-Click or cart glitch, until I remember that my credit is not nearly good enough for such a charge to actually go through

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I still play UC4 mp regularly but now I also recognize player names in 4/5 games it feels like.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Hellblade's photo mode is insane. It's got everything. Even weird poo poo like edge detection. Filters and color grading seperately.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo, Hellblade's photo mode is insane. It's got everything. Even weird poo poo like edge detection. Filters and color grading seperately.
Forget that, is it worth my :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well poo poo, that's cool people are liking hellblade so much. Guess I'm getting it too.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That's just taking the piss.

$4 for shipping? Get the gently caress outta here. :rolleyes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've put 3.5 hours into Hellblade now and I kind of have to put it down for awhile. It's a very unsettling game, although it is quite beautiful. Wear headphones this is a must.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like Hellblade a lot. Story is really well done, visuals are good, I like the puzzles.

A few really minor complaints, but I'm totally hooked.

It's not accurate to describe the combat as Soulslike, but it is good. The protagonist might be the most photorealistic video game character I've ever seen. Totally blows away stuff like Until Dawn.

The game's not gonna be for everyone, but if the general concept of a story about a lonely schizophrenic warrior woman on a quest into the underworld appeals to you, this game nails it. I really like the puzzles, and they do some crazy poo poo but so far they haven't completely overused any of the gimmicks. They set them up, get progressively more complicated, and then it's dose of story and on to the next thing.

Optional/collectible rune stones provide audio log style narration that provides additional context for the story. Some of the narration is fiction for the game, some it is recounting actual Norse and Germanic mythology.

If you're looking for a fast-paced game, this isn't it, but it seems to pull off everything it's trying to be quite well. Combat dificulty is set to "auto" by default. I'm not sure exactly what that does, but I left it there.

In theory, this game has a permadeath system where you can actually have to start the whole game over if you die enough times, which sounds super crazy, but I haven't died at all, so... If you fund yourself dying, maybe switch it to easy...

Edit: yeah, I was hoping my surround sound woild be great, but I'm thinking I should switch to head phones, since it still feels like 90% of the audio is coming from in front of me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're saying now that the permadeath message might be a bluff, and that Senua's rot won't actually progress past the points where it grows from killing bosses in the story. You're right that the combat definitely isn't the focus and anybody expecting a flashy CAG only would be disappointed.

It's definitely a unique experience, quite unlike any game I've ever played before. Well, except that other one where a warrior travels to a forbidden land to slay gods and restore the life of their deceased lover.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It reminds me conceptually of Toren, which I also really liked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm glad we got a shortish narrative based game to play. there really hasn't been anything since UC4. Getting burned out on everything being so time intensive lately. Seems like I've played nothing but RPGS and online shooters and souls games for like 2 years straight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if nothing else Hellblade is a "walking simulator" in a place that isn't a forest, a house, or a house inside a forest. exploring is super fun, when the game lets you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Liking Hellblade so far, it feels really oppressive. Could do with a less intense film grain effect though, and the audio is mixed way quieter than any other game. I have to turn up the volume a lot to hear it over the air conditioner (don't have good headphones).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 9, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i like how walking simulator has stretched to mean any game where you walk for any period of time. puzzles and combat? walking simulator. destiny 2? walking simulator. forza? walking simulator.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hellblade needs a map so bad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Hellblade needs a map so bad

Not really, it's a totally linear game outside of 2 hubs where can choose which linear thing to do first...

I'm about to beat it and despite its short length and probably limited replayability, it's a strong contender for game of the year for me. Some of the stuff they do with the visuals later is totally unique. You've never seen poo poo like this in any game.

Also, I love a game designed to be hudless.

I'm not joking, this game might be the most memorable interactive experience I've ever had. This isn't just a "game with a good story". Every part of this game works together, text, visual design, sound design, and mechanical design, to create something really powerful and unique.

Normally with a game or movie, even if it's really good, it's kind of like you're an observer of the story. Even in a game, you're the player and the player character is someone you're pretending to be. Hellblade's narrative gimmick, against all odds, puts the player in the story, connected to the character.

Also it's just epic as gently caress. The fact that it's emotionally so dark makesnthe combat feel really intense instead of like, cheesy like it does in God of War.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have hated everything Ninja Theory's done with a deep passion, but I'm willing to entertain the idea that they finally got something right.

Still not gonna buy at full price tho

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Full price is 30 dollars.

Just finished it. Wow.

Just wow.

This is gonna make my top games and top films of the year.

Edit: so having finished it, I can share some insight into the "permadeath" feature. I'm reasonably certain there are 2 different endings, and because of the constant autosave, you can't get both endings without playing the game twice.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 9, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I have hated everything Ninja Theory's done with a deep passion, but I'm willing to entertain the idea that they finally got something right.

Hey man we are living in 2017 where Guerilla Games just put out probably the best game of the year. Anything is possible. Maybe this is the year for under dog developers finally nailing it.

Haven't tried Hellblade yet, but I'm pretty pumped for it now. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow cause my internet blows.

Snak posted:

Just finished it. Wow.

Did you just marathon the hell out of it or is it way shorter than the reported 6 hours?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I played from 4pm until 11. I died like twice. Based on my experience, you could beat it faster than that, but probably not a lot.

It's like a fantastic miniseries. It's really cool and special. I'm watching the featurette on the making of it. It's pretty interesting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh ok good. I was worried for a sec that it was 6 hours game reviewer time which would equate to about 3 hours normal person time.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I have to check out Hellblade. I recall reading an article about it a few months ago and it sounding really interesting but there were several warning signs. Which were mostly that it was a tiny team (I think like 13 people on the team at most) making a game about mental illness but trying to have AAA quality. Usually games focusing on an issue like mental illness sounds like a recipe for disaster but it really sounds like they did a good job. I'm really happy to hear the positive feedback about the game, I hope it shows that people will like atypical games like that. I'd love if devs took risks like Hellblade more often. I need to buy it ASAP. I also don't give a poo poo about DmC and I like Enslaved so I don't hate Ninja Theory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it ends up being a perfect length for what it is. If it was any longer it would feel too repedetive, and also it's a loving stressful game to play. In a good way.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

i like how walking simulator has stretched to mean any game where you walk for any period of time. puzzles and combat? walking simulator. destiny 2? walking simulator. forza? walking simulator.
Well it's usually constrained to first person games at least. It's easier to describe that genre of games then to give it misleading titles like Adventure or something.
The only thing I could genuinely call a walking simulator is the more passive half of Furi. Just push a button and watch the character walk and talk.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, that sounds good. Do you keep your character's ability levels (the non-combat ones) so you don't have to study or anything?

You keep:

Social Stats (knowledge, guts, etc.)
Equipment and skill cards (not consumables except your valentine's day gift)
Persona Compendium
CASH MONEY (so you can summon your bespoke Yoshitsune and triple Auto-Ma Ardha as soon as you have access to the Velvet Room)
Key items from maxed-out social links that allow you to access some later abilities as soon as you get the first rank in the link (some are meh, some are super-good, like unlocking the teacher's massages immediately)

You don't keep:

Character levels
Social link progress
Currently equipped personae
Rail map progress
Room decorations

Without the need to build your social stats, you'll have plenty of time to do things you likely didn't have time for in NG, like reading all books, finishing all retro games (read the cheat code book asap), body building, or the fishing minigame you probably never realized existed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HGH posted:

Well it's usually constrained to first person games at least. It's easier to describe that genre of games then to give it misleading titles like Adventure or something.
The only thing I could genuinely call a walking simulator is the more passive half of Furi. Just push a button and watch the character walk and talk.

The term gets thrown around a lot now, but I think it's a pretty distinct thing that refers specifically to a small handful of games like Gone Home, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, every Chinese room game etc. Basically just games where you walk around and read/listen to stuff. It's pretty apt when describing those games.

A couple of them are good though. Most of them suck.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

You keep:

Social Stats (knowledge, guts, etc.)
Equipment and skill cards (not consumables except your valentine's day gift)
Persona Compendium
CASH MONEY (so you can summon your bespoke Yoshitsune and triple Auto-Ma Ardha as soon as you have access to the Velvet Room)
Key items from maxed-out social links that allow you to access some later abilities as soon as you get the first rank in the link (some are meh, some are super-good, like unlocking the teacher's massages immediately)

You don't keep:

Character levels
Social link progress
Currently equipped personae
Rail map progress
Room decorations

Without the need to build your social stats, you'll have plenty of time to do things you likely didn't have time for in NG, like reading all books, finishing all retro games (read the cheat code book asap), body building, or the fishing minigame you probably never realized existed.
Okay, that's what I thought. And yeah I had nfc about fishing.

Hellblade sure sounds different than I thought. I was thinking basically a scaled up version of Infinity Blade or something.

edit: oh snap it has binaural audio. Every game should have binaural audio. Maybe it's neither here nor there though since it has no release date in Japan yet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 9, 2017

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I've watched a few streams of Persona 5 and I'm confused, I cannot figure out what you're supposed to do in this game or what's going on. One time they're hanging out making jokes about girls, next time they're in a huge desert flinging motorcycles at a giant boob warrior, another time they're running around a city having an innocuous chat about...something and there is a timer saying something about it being after school? Then a cat thing is interjecting with comments, can other people see the cat? Can they understand it? Now this person is running around a platforming looking section fighting a dog that turned in to a baboon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

screaden posted:

I've watched a few streams of Persona 5 and I'm confused, I cannot figure out what you're supposed to do in this game or what's going on. One time they're hanging out making jokes about girls, next time they're in a huge desert flinging motorcycles at a giant boob warrior, another time they're running around a city having an innocuous chat about...something and there is a timer saying something about it being after school? Then a cat thing is interjecting with comments, can other people see the cat? Can they understand it? Now this person is running around a platforming looking section fighting a dog that turned in to a baboon.
I dunno what to say other than that the game has two halves, a school life half and a dungeon crawling half (almost all of which happens in the "after school" time frame). Beyond that maybe it's just the streamer making it look obtuse on purpose?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

persona 5 is a game about going about your day to day high school life as a teenager, sometimes there are dungeon sections which involve stealth that lets you get pre-emptive strikes on enemies. the enemies are represented by generic stuff and when the fight starts you fight shadows. fighting shadows is a turn based jrpg system where you try to exploit enemy weaknesses to beat them up and shoot them with guns and summon cool monsters. also a cat yells at you to go to bed quite often.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're on a calendar. the game takes place over the course of about one year and you play every day. the mc is in high school so you go to school obviously, then spend your free time however you choose. you have two actions per day (one in the afternoon and one in the evening), after which it advances to the next day. the supernatural stuff comes up pretty quickly and explains itself but basically you go to a separate reality for the dungeons and stuff

other people can see the cat but they can't hear it if they don't have a persona (that's basically your super power. it's your stand if you know what jojo's bizarre adventure is)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I keep forgetting that most people have no experience with that kind of time segment based social simulator game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Hmm, Hellblade has that off centered zoomed in camera that I didn't like in Horizon. I suppose I can wait on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is pretty strange if you don't know about it. when I bought persona 3, I didn't actually know anything about that stuff so it completely blindsided me

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sakura Wars has a little bit of that, that's how I experienced it the first time. Afterwards I played some games that are all that and honestly Persona's is a lot less user friendly than the genre standard, and 5 especially is absolutely overwhelmed with forced events.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Manatee Cannon posted:

it is pretty strange if you don't know about it. when I bought persona 3, I didn't actually know anything about that stuff so it completely blindsided me

P3 hosed me up in a good way

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was trapped in a bad relationship when i got persona 3 and i spent about a million hours playing it. it was good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

i was trapped in a bad relationship when i got persona 3 and i spent about a million hours playing it. it was good.
....a bad relationship outside of the game, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Live At Five! posted:

I have to check out Hellblade. I recall reading an article about it a few months ago and it sounding really interesting but there were several warning signs. Which were mostly that it was a tiny team (I think like 13 people on the team at most) making a game about mental illness but trying to have AAA quality. Usually games focusing on an issue like mental illness sounds like a recipe for disaster but it really sounds like they did a good job. I'm really happy to hear the positive feedback about the game, I hope it shows that people will like atypical games like that. I'd love if devs took risks like Hellblade more often. I need to buy it ASAP. I also don't give a poo poo about DmC and I like Enslaved so I don't hate Ninja Theory.

It's actually a really fun game that does a lot of stuff right for what it's doing, including having zero HUD. If you do end up checking it out (and, for what it's worth, I highly recommend it), absolutely play it with headphones plugged into the controller. They recorded all the audio in bainural, so it simulates the stuff Senua is hearing all the time. It's really cool, and as much of a 7.1 elitist as I am, I was happy to just shove a headphone jack into the controller port and actually use it for something that helps the game.

[edit] Also, gently caress me is the game gorgeous. I know Ninja Theory was trying to do the whole "AAA as an indie thing," but they really pulled it off in terms of tech. There's even a 60 fps option on Pro if you want to forego the resolution bump that's automatically applied. Even on a normal PS4, this game is absolutely amazing looking.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 9, 2017